Overrated Players

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'll start

Didier Drogba- He scored a few cup final goals and people compare him to the best premier league strikers at all times. Not a chance. He never had the technique or goal scoring record to hang up there with Aguero, Henry & Shearer, even Rooney was better.

Go.
The worst thing about this is how you mention "even Rooney" as if he was some low decent united striker.

The guy was responsible for one of theost successful runs this club has seen. He was an incredible player especially at his peak. He played many different roles unlike the one dimensional strikes you talk about .

Also Drogba was a beast

Mike Smalling

I'm gonna throw Mason Mount in there. Every time I see him play he runs around a lot, but doesn't actually deliver anything, yet some people talk about him as the second coming of Fat Frank. Not fit to shine Foden's boots.

shamans

This may sound blasphemous but Zlatan by the casual fans. Insanely talented and a unique player for a striker but he had some glaring weaknesses as well.

Here comes the worst opinion probably but Ronaldinhos career gets overrated. His peak was art and greatness combined but in context he didn't have all that many great years did he. Though, it's justified for the art he provided us for those few years.

shamans

People will probably have big issues with all 3 of these picks but here it goes:

Zlatan: The classic no pressure magician. Always disappeared in the knockout stages of the UCL. Also seems more of a big fish in a small pond type, relatively speaking. He leaves Inter to join a treble winning Barca. Inter win the treble that year knocking Barca out. He then leaves Barca. Right after that, they win the CL again. He stops playing for Swdden. They have their best World Cup run in years in 2018. There's no doubt that Zlatan has scored some amazing goals and is playing for a long, long time(although he has been very injury prone for nearly a decade now). Doesn't help that he went and spent many years of his Prime in France at a time when the league was in shambles. Good player but always fell short at the very elite level. Not nearly as good as he or his PR team believes. About his personality, he was probably a bit funny 15 years back. Now, he's just cringe, immature and a cartoon basically. A mental midget like Lukaku challenging him face to face in a game and comfortably outplaying him was embarrassing, as is his behavior for a 40 year old veteran.

Karim Benzema: We all rate him really highly and acknowledge what a complete striker he is and how much he's willing to do for his team. But when are his acolytes gonna stop pretending that he has always been this player? One of the biggest examples of pure revisionism is saying he has always been at this level. It's a joke really. He was always a good all round Footballer but his finishing was patchy and at times abysmal for a Real Madrid level striker. He ended a league campaign(17/18?) with 5 goals I think. That's embarrassing. There's no 2 ways about it. His fanboys seem to be lapping up the narrative that it was Ronaldo who was his problem. Well, Ronaldo has assisted Benzema more than the other way round. His national team career has been poor due to a lot of reasons. There was a time when he was considered a laughing stock by Football fans. No amounts of revisionism can erase those years. Having said that, he's been terrific lately. Credit where it's due.

Paul Scholes: He has become comically overrated since retiring. It's Giggs who has become a tad underrated(largely because of how vile he's as a person) while it's Scholes who has become severely overrated. Some quotes from famous players seems to be his biggest individual accomplishment. In his playing days, he was never known as a candidate for the best midfielder in the world nor was he indispensable for United throughout as some people pretend(he was very vital in some seasons no doubt). Gerrard and Lampard had way more impact at their respective clubs whilst also being in conversations for best midfielders in the world in their pomp consistently. Lampard and Gerrard had so many great individual match winning moments; Scholes simply falls short. No wonder these 2 were preferred over Scholes in the national team. Also below players like Pirlo. I really doubt he was ever a top 3 player in the United squad. There were always players way more important than Scholes at United. I can appreciate his longevity. Tremendous Technical Ability no doubt. Definitely a United legend. Scholes is a player people would appreciate as an artist of the game. Instead, he has become overrated to the point that it's annoying to non-United fans. I vividly remember Carragher and Keane having one of those agree-to-disagree videos, and in the Gerrard Scholes debate you can obviously tell that Keane rates Gerrard much higher and he basically admits that he has no arguments and is just siding with Scholes for "loyalty".

First you mention Zlatan and I nod. Then you mention Benzema and I'm like finally someone who realizes how crap he was for years at Madrid.

... And then you ruined it with Scholes. Completely.

It is no coincidence Scholes is synonymous with the success of Man United across two decades. Pirlo is not even in the same class as Scholes.

He was absolutely vital for us. The guy was our general, metronome whatever you may call it. So many attacks would just start with him. Shame more complex stats didn't exist back then.

Arka_BleedingRed

N'Golo Kante, an elite ball winner with endless energy and a down to earth attitude, but nowhere near the top tier of Premier League Midfielders ever as being mentioned by some of the fans. Technically average, and definitely not a game changer.

Wing Attack Plan R

I'll start

Didier Drogba- He scored a few cup final goals and people compare him to the best premier league strikers at all times. Not a chance. He never had the technique or goal scoring record to hang up there with Aguero, Henry & Shearer, even Rooney was better.

Go.
That’s a hot take and I disagree completely. Drogba was a monster, unplayable at times.

Zetrio2002

I'll start

Go.
Few people has ever said Drogba was better than Aguero, Henry or Shearer. So Drogba is right where he is at: Around top 10 premier league forward.

Drogba is combative and composed and he's a big game winner. Might be better than Kane who scored very few goals in cup finals and Spurs, England always choke in big games.

Steven Gerrard post 2006 was over-rated. Doesn't dribble in anymore. Doesn't know how to defend. Makes plenty of mistakes. Keep missing long shots. Only use penalties to jack up his goal tally. Even Henderson is a better team player than him.

Last edited:

fps

Agree on Firmino now, it would have been a good move to take the money this summer (and maybe tried harder to keep Mane?). Havertz: I can’t see how so much fuss was made about him 3-4 years ago, he was made out to be “generational” or whatever at the time.

People mentioning Rice: Definitely agree there. To be going well over £100 million for him would be madness. Kalvin Phillips was better than him at Euro 21, and midfield was the weakest department. Rice was a big part of that.
I think Havertz is a bit special, there’s something Muller-like about him in the positions he takes up.

fps

Overrated?

I’ll return to my fave, Griezmann. Never had the pace to be a really destructive attacker, puts a shift in and could finish, but he conned Barcelona into that enormous contract by working hard in a good team system.

TAA. Has benefitted from being in the team that best use the attacking full back system, when other teams haven’t really worked out how to counter it, and has a peach of a cross and pass on him. But he can’t defend.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'd say Vieira is quite a bit overrated by long time PL fans while simultaneously being underrated by everyone else

Roy Keane is also another one who is overrated by PL fans for his ability(good at everything, truly great at nothing) but underrated by those who more properly rate his skills for his leadership and game-raising ability(the guy absolutely could and often did put his teams on his shoulders and put in inspirational, dominant performances routinely)

Cristiano is overrated - certainly a top 10 player ever, probably top 5, but he's not and never was at Messi's level, and it's only his late career CL explosion on a stacked Madrid team that basically asked him to be Gerd Muller(wildly underrated player outside Germany btw) that put him back into that conversation

Aguero - massively overrated by PL fans
David Silva - ditto
Totti - massively overrated by Italians
Hazard
Ederson
Ruben Dias
Varane

Zen86

Lampard. He had a very cosy spot in that Chelsea team where he could drift in and out of midfield and take potshots on goal from around the area. He had others doing the hard work in front and behind him and he capitalised on that. He never really excelled at anything in particular, and it's only because he scored goals as a "midfielder" that he's held in such high regard (as well as being friends with many in the media). He greatly benefitted from the players and setup he had around him, if you dropped him in any other team he would've struggled IMO. Decent player, but not one of the greatest midfielders as is often stated.

Bossi

Supports
Ajax
Every Ajax player.
Every English player.

But the player I think is not only overrated but don't even rate at all is Alvaro Morata.

I have yet to see this mentally weak player play a good game, yet he keeps getting transfers to top clubs and failing upwards.

Absolutely nothing he is really good at, except maybe heading and apologizing.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Declan Rice is probably the most overrated player of all time. Genuinely blows my mind the prices quoted and that everyone seems to rate him.

Oranges038

Some of the names in here are mad.

But I'll go with this.

That whole Arsenal "invincibles" team.

They weren't, they just got a lot of favourable refereeing decisions.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yaya Toure: Was the dominant midfielder in the EPL in an era where there weren't any great midfielders and tactically the EPL was behind the rest of Europe, quiet easily the lowest level in the EPL since the 90s. Was constantly overrun in Europe while at City. Not as good as the other great midfielders in Europe during that time.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm gonna throw Mason Mount in there. Every time I see him play he runs around a lot, but doesn't actually deliver anything, yet some people talk about him as the second coming of Fat Frank. Not fit to shine Foden's boots.
I’ve literally never heard anyone say that about Mount apart from silly pundits who overrate all English players, and yes of course he’s fit to lace Foden’s boots. In a thread about overrated players, your post is exhibit A for Foden, who gets so wildly overrated that it’s almost unfair to the kid.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
  • Zlatan Ibrahimović, depending on who you're speaking to. Exceptionally talented, had a good career — but some consider him to be one of the best of all time, when he's just not. For the last 30 years alone, you would have to rank center forwards like Ronaldo Luís, Luis Suárez, Robert Lewandowski, Andriy Shevchenko, Thierry Henry, Gabriel Batistuta, Karim Benzema, David Villa, Samuel Eto'o, Alan Shearer and co. ahead of him. Though on the other hand, he's also harshly underrated by some. Can't please everyone, I guess?
Mmmm. Ronaldo, Suarez, Henry and Benzema I agree. The others, I think it's a floor raiser vs ceiling raiser issue. Zlatan way better at making teams better than Bati, Sheva, Villa, etc, but those guys were simply more portable on great teams. Eto'o I'm not sure. Better as a ceiling raiser, almost as good as a floor raiser maybe, which would make him the better player?

Re: TAA, i think you're getting too bogged down in him being a fullback. He's better than Robertson and has been way better for Liverpool. I do agree he's a tad overrated, and he's definitely not the first of his kind or anything - the english sure like to assume what they experience is the same as the rest of the world - Makelele role, anyone? :lol: -

AdNani

John Terry. Undoubtedly a very good defender, but not in the same class as Rio/Vidic, I actually thought Carvalho was the better defender out of the 2.

His style was eye catching as he often out his body where most wouldn't but as a technical defender he's a level below the very best as but he's put in the same bracket with them constantly

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Michael Carrick is massively overrated by United fanbase (not so much on the continent). I saw Carrick being put on the same level as Busquets, what is borderline crazy.
A good player in a good team, but his impact on the actual play has been massively overrated and he has some big weak points. He played simple passes and people think he was some kind of metronome. He was not, he was reliable and simply effective player in progressing the ball forward - unless pressed of course. We stayed with him too long.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'll start

Go.
A bit ironic that an Arsenal fan should say this. If you’re old enough you would have seen his greatness up close and personal :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'll throw a Liverpool one in and say that Firmino is massively overrated now. He's become fairly useless since we moved away from playing a false 9. Pundits still talk about him like he's a massive goal threat.

Kai Havertz is another one. I don't really get it with him and he's been fairly underwhelming considering the price tag.
Firmino isn't overrated - just burnt out and unlikely to ever be the same again.

Rojofiam

Many of these choices are terrible imo.

I'll go with Ruben Dias. Solid defender that is protected by the system Pep has built around suffocating the opposition in their own half and fouling them if they play out of it. But I don't think he's world class like many rate him. Honestly I think there are a fair few CB's that would look fantastic in that system if they are comfortable with the ball at their feet, because defensively it eliminates all decision making.
Him winning the 2020/21 POTY over Kane was daylight robbery :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Michael Carrick is massively overrated by United fanbase (not so much on the continent). I saw Carrick being put on the same level as Busquets, what is borderline crazy.
A good player in a good team, but his impact on the actual play has been massively overrated and he has some big weak points. He played simple passes and people think he was some kind of metronome. He was not, he was reliable and simply effective player in progressing the ball forward - unless pressed of course. We stayed with him too long.
Spot on.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Eden Hazard. Somewhat underwhelming for Belgium relative to his status, and his CL career is completely forgettable.
I think everyone has a top player that they can think of that they’ve never rated as highly as everyone else, Hazard is also that for me.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yaya Toure: Was the dominant midfielder in the EPL in an era where there weren't any great midfielders and tactically the EPL was behind the rest of Europe, quiet easily the lowest level in the EPL since the 90s. Was constantly overrun in Europe while at City. Not as good as the other great midfielders in Europe during that time.
:nono:

troylocker

Yeah! I mean who was Gerrard, Lampard, Ozil, Eriksen, Mata or David Silva anyway? Easily dominated all of them.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
  • Zlatan Ibrahimović, depending on who you're speaking to. Exceptionally talented, had a good career — but some consider him to be one of the best of all time, when he's just not. For the last 30 years alone, you would have to rank center forwards like Ronaldo Luís, Luis Suárez, Robert Lewandowski, Andriy Shevchenko, Thierry Henry, Gabriel Batistuta, Karim Benzema, David Villa, Samuel Eto'o, Alan Shearer and co. ahead of him. Though on the other hand, he's also harshly underrated by some. Can't please everyone, I guess?
  • Trent Alexander-Arnold for the contemporary game; again, depending on who you're speaking to. The Premier League has never had a truly outstanding, world-beater right back (like Marcos Cafú and Javier Zanetti, or even Dani Alves and Philipp Lahm), so he has been hurriedly catapulted to a level that's evaded him. Very good playmaker on the right flank — there's no contesting that, but has glaring shortcoming in an all-round sense. Robertson has unquestionably been the better fullback for Liverpool (53 assists since 2017, superb work rate and a gritter defender).
Don't think it's a stretch to say that Trent is the best right-back the Premier League has seen given, as you say, the league pre or post 1992 has never had a world-beater in that position. The Premier League's best right-backs before Trent are the likes of Neville, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Walker - all solid players but not quite Thuram/Bergomi defensively and some distance from Alves/Cafu etc going forward.

But it depends what you're looking for on the spectrum between a solid defender like Azpi or a silky wing-back like Petrescu. If we want balance, then it's hard to identify many who were great at both ends of the park (unless we include Irwin as a RB). Looking at the old credit/debit balance for creating/preventing goals, he's arguably the most in credit - for servicing his attack, minus whatever defensive shortcomings he has - than any of the other contenders.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
David Beckham. Good cross and free kicks but he was highly rated only because he played with Scholes, Giggs and Keane.

Am i doing it right? This is a joke thread, right? :nervous:

Glorio

Lampard. He had a very cosy spot in that Chelsea team where he could drift in and out of midfield and take potshots on goal from around the area. He had others doing the hard work in front and behind him and he capitalised on that. He never really excelled at anything in particular, and it's only because he scored goals as a "midfielder" that he's held in such high regard (as well as being friends with many in the media). He greatly benefitted from the players and setup he had around him, if you dropped him in any other team he would've struggled IMO. Decent player, but not one of the greatest midfielders as is often stated.
100% agree - sort of has Donny's skillset (a fair bit more character though) of well times runs into the box and his career could easily have gone the same way

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Don't think it's a stretch to say that Trent is the best right-back the Premier League has seen given, as you say, the league pre or post 1992 has never had a world-beater in that position. The Premier League's best right-backs before Trent are the likes of Neville, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Walker - all solid players but not quite Thuram/Bergomi defensively and some distance from Alves/Cafu etc going forward.

But it depends what you're looking for on the spectrum between a solid defender like Azpi or a silky wing-back like Petrescu. If we want balance, then it's hard to identify many who were great at both ends of the park (unless we include Irwin as a RB). Looking at the old credit/debit balance for creating/preventing goals, he's arguably the most in credit - for servicing his attack, minus whatever defensive shortcomings he has - than any of the other contenders.
I think the one guy with that kind of profile & world class potential is Reece James, who has everything on a high level (diverse skillset, physique & athleticism, football brain). To the point he can be played as RB, RWB, RCB and even occasional CM. If things go well for him, I'm convinced he'll at least rival TAA for the #1 spot, perhaps more.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Vincent Kompany.
Always injured, made several errors leading to goals that people seemed to forget. The way he used to charge out like a buffoon sometimes, reckless.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
My memory of the world cup was Hazard not having a goal, an assist nor a shot on target vs Brazil and France Several takeons and runs which amounted to nothing
What a kind of logic is that?. If he scored a 2 yard tap in but lost the ball every time he got after the goal, does that mean he still had a good game just because he scored?.

Zen86

Vincent Kompany.
Always injured, made several errors leading to goals that people seemed to forget. The way he used to charge out like a buffoon sometimes, reckless.
I think there are quite a few defenders in the last 10 years or so that are heavily overrated, mainly because there is such a lack of quality CBs about these days. Those that are better than the rest get quickly elevated to GOAT level conversation. It's more a reflection of how poor their contemporaries are than their ability.