Television Overrated TV series

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Red Dwarf has aged but nothing is Mrs Brown's Boys level of shite.

My brother in law thinks MBBs is hilarious. When he first started raving about it, I walked behind him. He said "what are you doing", I said "looking for your lobotomy scar".

Over-rated TV.... The Bodyguard which my wife made me watch. What a pile of crap, you could replace the main actor with a plank of wood.... frowning and saying "maam" does not an actor make.

Oh, there is Keeley Hawes though I guess.
Agreed. Bodyguard and (to a lesser extent) Line of Duty were mostly absolute bollocks. Entertaining bollocks, but bollocks nonetheless.

djdhrubs

Fargo. Couldn't make it through more than 2 episodes. How am I supposed to give a feck when every single character apart from Billy Bob Thornton is a drooling imbecile?
Definitely worth sticking with. Also season 2 is much better than season 1.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I generally find it hard to add very specific changes that would boost the visual experience. I can usually tell when a lot of effort has been made when it comes to the visuals, though. Besides that, visuals are also largely subjective. What I find visually pleasing may not please others. The Wire essentially does "nothing" and thus it's almost like reading a book or watching a theater play where nothing happens in the background. Both of those are fine things, but I feel like something is missing when I'm specifically looking for a cinematic experience and a great narrative. A great narrative is still a great narrative, with or without interesting visuals, though. Thus, I still like The Wire a lot. I think it's one of the best shows created despite its visuals.
I get that these things are subjective but I genuinely just can’t fathom that critique of the show

You don't think that turning the Hamsterdam section into a glossy music video with Bubbles rapping about the brilliance of WMD could've worked? I pity your lack of imagination.
:lol:

Deery

Dreary
I have to say Peaky Blinders even though I watch it and I like it, not much happens in it..

OleBoiii

I get that these things are subjective but I genuinely just can’t fathom that critique of the show
It's so not such much a critique as it is an explanation for why I personally have several shows that I rate higher. I don't think that The Wire is overrated. I think it's one of the best TV series ever.

I probably care more about visuals than most viewers. My favorite director is Satoshi Kon, after all.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I care about cinematography and can list loads of DPs. That criticism of The Wire is just plain bizarre and just gives me the impression you slightly missed the point of the show.

Also, it's absolutely not true that The Wire "did nothing" from a visual perspective - adopting a cold, gloomy visual identity is work in itself, and the way shots are framed is also massively important (which is why I agree with Rado's point about the 4:3 ratio being best, given it's how it was shot and how it was intended to be shown), and The Wire does this quite often masterfully. To take a very early example, the way the scene between McNulty and Bunk is shot (when they're recreating a murder and barely saying anything) is a tour de force from a camera work point of view. There's no sepia filter or lens flare or other fancy things that would grab your attention, but it's flawless filming that brings a lot to the narrative. And there's loads of other examples throughout the show.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Mad Men - I'm sorry but this was shite. For me at least. I never felt compelled to carry on watching this. Nothing dragged me back in. I just don't get why people love it.

SirAnderson

This will Always be a discussion of preference and opinion sadly. Wish I could be somehow scientifically proven The Wire is the GOAT, but until then....shiiiiiiet.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Definitely worth sticking with. Also season 2 is much better than season 1.
Might give another season a go having seen the cast is completely different. Is it a True Detective type deal where one season has nothing to do with the next?

SirAnderson

From some of the mentions here, there is a big part many great shows need, and without it, it can never be fully enjoyed, and that is...patience.
A lot of series start of slow and need your focus.
Its not like those kind of series where you can switch off and do mindless watching, or multitasking etc.

SirAnderson

Might give another season a go having seen the cast is completely different. Is it a True Detective type deal where one season has nothing to do with the next?
Fargo is really good, definitely one that you need to give some time, but definitely worth it. There is 1 season though that I struggled to get going with also.

As for TD, yeah all 3 seasons are complete different cast and focus.
Most would say skip season 2 and just watch 1 and 3. Personally they are worth your time. Not so much season 2, but maybe there is someone that's willing to advocate wasting time watching it perhaps.

OleBoiii

@Rooney in Paris

Jeez, all of this started because I wrote that no TV series is perfect. Not even The Wire(which I love, btw!). I then elaborated why I don't think it's perfect(boring visuals and less than ideal pacing).

I know perfectly well what The Wire is trying to do(and I like it more than I dislike it). It may be harsh to say that it does nothing visually, because that is obviously not true. It definitely does nothing for me personally, though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I get when people mention the Wire by the way. It is an all-time great classic, but a lot of what made it so groundbreaking is now TV screen-writing/producing 101. So if you start watching it now, you won't completely get the hype, although it's still going to be enjoyable. But for those who had caught it on air, it was probably the best thing since sliced bread.

Same with Friends, albeit in a different format, and they've aged pretty badly (comedy series tend to do so way sooner than TV-dramas). Seinfeld as well — and probably for the same reason, I've tried watching it but gave up on one of the earlier seasons.

I've also started Fraiser, but the audience laughter was so annoying that I turned it off. Another example of a thing that you wouldn't even notice in the 90's but now...

Spoony

The People's President
Mad Men - I'm sorry but this was shite. For me at least. I never felt compelled to carry on watching this. Nothing dragged me back in. I just don't get why people love it.

It looked great and the acting was very good too but the characters had no redeeming qualities...was like Ayn Rand had a major input. I couldn't finish the series the level of cuntishness was far too high for me. And yes I get that it's not glamorised in anyway way but....

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The Wire is probably the GOAT, but I can understand why some can call it overrated due to it's fans refusing to even acknowledge that it just might not be the greatest thing ever by a mile, for everyone. And it's easily TOP3 for me too, maybe even the best, but I can't say it's easily the best when there is Sopranos, and even Mad Men and Breaking Bad that are almost perfect too(maybe slightly in the tier below, but still almost equally great).

But Game of Thrones is easily the most overrated because at least 50% of it's fans are millenials who have never seen the likes of Sopranos, The Wire, etc., and are still convinced it's the best show ever.

Same goes dor Arrested Development - The Office, P&A, are easily better if anything for being equally funny - for six or seven fecking seasons, and yet Arrested development is always higher on the list from people that have seen them all, and it's what, 3 seasons of quality TV? Has anyone even watched the last two seasons?

evil_geko

But Game of Thrones is easily the most overrated because at least 50% of it's fans are millenials who have never seen the likes of Sopranos, The Wire, etc., and are still convinced it's the best show ever.
It's not that simple though, for example I've seen both Sopranos and Game of Thrones and if I would give both shows a 9 (no way GoT after that last season), it doesn't mean they are on par pure quality wise, there is also entertainment value in those ratings, the two genres can't be compared, heavy dramas will always be regarded higher than Fantasy Epics etc.

So ratings themselves are kinda flawed and can't paint the full picture.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's not that simple though, for example I've seen both Sopranos and Game of Thrones and if I would give both shows a 9 (no way GoT after that last season), it doesn't mean they are on par pure quality wise, there is also entertainment value in those ratings, the two genres can't be compared, heavy dramas will always be regarded higher than Fantasy Epics etc.

So ratings themselves are kinda flawed and can't paint the full picture.
I bet there are more TV geeks who have seen both and thought that Game of Thrones is nowhere near special as Sopranos.

djdhrubs

Very loose connections, essentially it's all about what happened when the main character in season 1's dad was the sheriff, so set many years before season 1. Never seen True Detective by the way.

Pagh Wraith

Breaking Bad. Watched a handful of episodes and didn't like it at all. Had such high expecatations given the hype and the fact Vince Gilligan was involved.

Game of Thrones I have never seen a second of but I just know I would hate it.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Breaking Bad. Watched a handful of episodes and didn't like it at all. Had such high expecatations given the hype and the fact Vince Gilligan was involved.

Game of Thrones I have never seen a second of but I just know I would hate it.
Breaking Bad takes a while to get going but it’s very good.

GOT is a pretty damn good show for about 4 seasons, still fun for a couple more and then pretty awful.

Castia

Seinfeld

The guy is virtually a billionaire and the re-runs sell for ridiculous amounts of money, I just don’t get it. It just isn’t funny or interesting.

Not a big fan of his other stuff though tbh, celebs in cars drinking coffee is barely watchable and his last few stand ups have bombed.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's the epitome of 'show don't tell' writing. The characters never explain their motives and there's very little exposition. Once you get past the slightly soapy veneer, you're left with an incredibly stylish show that has a whole host of brilliantly sculpted, straight-jacketed characters who are all, in their own way, reaching for something.

It's brilliant and easily one of the best written and produced series of all time.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It's the epitome of 'show don't tell' writing. The characters never explain their motives and there's very little exposition. Once you get past the slightly soapy veneer, you're left with an incredibly stylish show that has a whole host of brilliantly sculpted, straight-jacketed characters who are all, in their own way, reaching for something.

It's brilliant and easily one of the best written and produced series of all time.
It ain't no prison break
Joking

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
All IMO of course and all good/great but often overrated.

The Sopranos - great TV but not quite as good as many think
Deadwood - enjoyable but I got bored and I haven't finished it yet. I will but I won't be hurrying.
The Pacific - again very good but they didn't differentiate the characters enough. Not as good on Band of Brothers.
Peaky Binders - I just can't get in to it but assume it is good from the people who recommend it to me
Sherlock - bored me senseless
Mad Men - did not like at all
Homeland - season 1 was great but after that - meh

And rubbish and overrated

Frazier - possibly the most annoying TV show ever (well apart form Big Bang Theory)
Supernatural - I was stunned to see this was still going quite recently
Prison Break - didn't make it more than half way through season 1

hobbers

Killing Eve - The only parts that are enjoyable are the parts that are all Villanelle and no Eve. The whole premise is based on such an unbelievable relationship between a genius assassin and a boring simpleton out of her depth in her job and crap at her marriage. It's like they wanted to emulate a Sherlock-Moriarty dynamic but replaced Sherlock with Mr Bean. Beyond the premise the actual writing is also shit.
Sopranos and The Wire - Think this is largely because I watched them "out of their time". With Sopranos I still got through to the end and enjoyed parts of. The Wire I dropped somewhere in season 3. Phone tapping just isn't exciting detective work to base a show on. Sort of like trying to watch Spooks now if you're into Spy shows.
Mad Men - So boring.
Westworld - Overreached and didn't deliver on it.
Stranger Things - Got tired of it after season 1. Just don't give a damn about any of the characters.
Rick and Morty - Family Guy levels of "humour" but with added nihilism. Crap.

And there are lots of shows that I thought were great until their latter seasons, either because they kept going too long or because they wrapped up lazily. Likes of GoT, Dexter, Luther, The Good Place, Prison Break, Homeland...

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Friends - Probably a 7.5-8/10 show but people rate it as if its the greatest comedy ever
Arrested Development
Homeland

Heardy

The Sopranos.

I’ve got about 8 episodes of the final season to watch. It’s good, but I really don’t get why people hold it in quite such high regard.

Mark Pawelek

Legion - Only watched it as far as season 1. It has some good/amusing bits in it (especially early oblique references to 1960s psychedelia in the mental institute scenes - such as main female character named 'Sydney Barrett') but it tries to be too clever by half. Ultimately I found the characters superficial. By the end, I was almost watching only to see a gruesome ending for the David Haller character. But he's the main hero. So no such luck.

Mark Pawelek

Lovecraft Country. Only watched the first episode; which, apparently has a wood of vampires in it; strange in itself since there are no vampires in Lovecraft. He doesn't need them. He has every other monster and half-monster beneath the moon.

Excessive woke references in this are tiring. It's as if every scene has to be a reference to racism. Set in 1950s but obsessed by Jim Crow; which was, essentially, 1890s to 1930s. 1950s was both too late for Lovecraft and too late for worst aspects of US racism.

The horror and suspense might be good but I was put off by the woke, preaching, and historical inaccuracy.