Owen Hargreaves | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name Changed

weso26
In a way, I'd like Berbatov to take a really important penalty, so he can exorcise those FA Cup demons. I can't help thinking that missed penalty is haunting him still, which is why his confidence has been so surprisingly fragile.
Was his confidence not fragile enough before that anyway? If anything, he has improved since the Leeds match.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Fergie in telling yet more fibs re the comback of Hargreaves shocker!

How surprising that he wasnt on the bench as we were led to believe... :rolleyes:

Oh and:

After all this discussion of penalty takers you know we're going to get a nailed on penalty against Chelsea waved away...
Well it wasnt "nailed on" but i thought it should have been a pen. Park just didnt make his fall look convincing enough.

Devilton

We should all just resign ourself to the possibility that he's not going to feature at any point this season. To be honest, I'd rather see Gibson start games and get his 90 minutes rather then a man who's been out 18 months and isn't mentally ready for the battle (and that's what every game till end of the season will be).

I hope Hargo can come back next year as a right back, play out his contract and leave in 2011 on the free. It's a shame, but I don't believe we can afford to take any more chances on his fitness in the long term. We will end up getting repeatedly fecked. (already have Rio, Brown, Fabio, Rafael, Owen who are all very injury prone)

UnitedRoadRed

We should all just resign ourself to the possibility that he's not going to feature at any point this season. To be honest, I'd rather see Gibson start games and get his 90 minutes rather then a man who's been out 18 months and isn't mentally ready for the battle (and that's what every game till end of the season will be).

I hope Hargo can come back next year as a right back, play out his contract and leave in 2011 on the free. It's a shame, but I don't believe we can afford to take any more chances on his fitness in the long term. We will end up getting repeatedly fecked. (already have Rio, Brown, Fabio, Rafael, Owen who are all very injury prone)
After the money we've spent on him, surely it's better to retain his services on a pay as you play basis.

Devilton

Why right back? that's just odd!
He has played right back before and done ok in that position. It's got less pressure then middle of the park where his mentality will be put to the test. If reports are to be believes he's already had some doubts so i'm not sure we can afford to give him a run in the middle of the park where he's expected to put in crunching tackles. At right back at least you have cover and with Valencia or Nani in front of you can go forward and cross and have some attacking options.

Plus, I have a feeling with some discipline he could actually do well in that position. He's not a natural defender, but wingback position is not difficult for a defensive midfielder to adapt to. Carrick, Fletcher, Beckham have all played there at some point.

I'm not saying it's a permanent solution, but for his first few games I'd rather see him there then in the middle where it could cost us the game.

After the money we've spent on him, surely it's better to retain his services on a pay as you play basis.
Perhaps. I just wonder how willing Fergie will be to take another punt if he doesn't play a significant part in the team next year. All the talent in the world means feck all if your body won't allow you to put it to use.

Shimo

Probably pointless for him to train with the first team if he isn't going to be involved tomorrow. He is still rehabbing and safe bet they are still doing off days and on days at this time.

Wouldn't read that much into him not training as a setback.

Bread

Oh Owen Hargreaves, We don't if he's shit
Oh Owen Hargreaves, He's never fecking fit
Oh Owen Hargreaves, was it one year or two?!?

davisjw

Why right back? that's just odd!
Raped Barca with him at RB and Park in front of him. Haven't seen such an efficient partnering down a flank. The best? No. But the most efficient work rate and usage of the ball.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Selling Hargreaves to us was Bayern's biggest victory over us.

devilish

They clearly didn't plan it or they would have sold him at first request instead of waiting a year when we could have found out more about his knees.
At Bayern he was already an injury prone player. At least that's what a Bayern fan mate of mine once told me. Maybe they bluffed us to pay more for him.

REd FUn DevIl

Selling Hargreaves to us was Bayern's biggest victory over us.
Well that lad you are talking about scored a marvellous free kick against Arsenal that got a huge win by that time and we went onto win the league that season, also that lad played two tough games against Barca at RB when we didnt concede and we went onto win the CL.

Now talk about biggest victory you big tit. Just for that i'm pretty glad we signed him even if he has spent more than a season doing feck all.

RonaldoVII

At Bayern he was already an injury prone player. At least that's what a Bayern fan mate of mine once told me. Maybe they bluffed us to pay more for him.
Didn't we end up paying less than original though? I thought we offered 20m in 2006 but they said no for a year, then we got for 17m ish in 2007. If they knew he was a crock then surely they would have snapped our hand off and taken the 20m, just like Roma, not force us to wait a year and sell for less or not at all.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Didn't we end up paying less than original though? I thought we offered 20m in 2006 but they said no for a year, then we got for 17m ish in 2007. If they knew he was a crock then surely they would have snapped our hand off and taken the 20m, just like Roma, not force us to wait a year and sell for less or not at all.
No we didn't offer that much in 2006, before the world cup we were linked with a £5 mill move for him, after that world cup, his value sky rocketed. Bayern were holding out for big money but United (rightfully) weren't prepared to pay it. I think, we thought, they'd give in and sell him by the end of the summer but they didn't, so eventually we stumped up the cash and got him.

I used to get quite annoyed by the fact that we bought a crock but mistakes happen in the transfer market and hopefully we'll learn from it. What softens the blow is his penalty in the champions league final for me.

Eriku

No we didn't offer that much in 2006, before the world cup we were linked with a £5 mill move for him, after that world cup, his value sky rocketed. Bayern were holding out for big money but United (rightfully) weren't prepared to pay it. I think, we thought, they'd give in and sell him by the end of the summer but they didn't, so eventually we stumped up the cash and got him.

I used to get quite annoyed by the fact that we bought a crock but mistakes happen in the transfer market and hopefully we'll learn from it. What softens the blow is his penalty in the champions league final for me.
The best penalty in the shoot-out, for me.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
The best penalty in the shoot-out, for me.
I'd say it's one of the best I've ever seen, if not the best (it's not that controversial a statement because of my age), because if I recall, it was after Ronaldo's miss and Hargreaves had to score. Not a single keeper would have saved it, even knowing where he would place it in advance wouldn't have helped them. It had power, pace and placement. Even if he never plays another match for us again, I'll always remember him fondly for that moment and the free kick against Arsenal.

devilish

That's how I remember it. If I remember well they used the Hargreaves money to buy Ribery.

Doevle

SSN think he may be on the bench today.
0-0, 90 minutes played. United gets a free kick from 20 yards. Hargreaves who has been on the pitch for fifteen minutes steps up to the plate. He hits the ball with a nice bend over the wall and towards the top corner. The ball hits the bar, and goes out for a goal kick. Meanwhile, Hargreaves is lying on the ground, screaming in agony after twisting his knee whilst striking the ball.

032Devil

0-0, 90 minutes played. United gets a free kick from 20 yards. Hargreaves who has been on the pitch for fifteen minutes steps up to the plate. He hits the ball with a nice bend over the wall and towards the top corner. The ball hits the bar, and goes out for a goal kick. Meanwhile, Hargreaves is lying on the ground, screaming in agony after twisting his knee whilst striking the ball.

gormless

And as he's flexing his right leg to strike the ball both of his knees combust and a shard of bone pokes Rooney in the eye.
:lol:

As I don't want to simply have a post which is just a smiley, I will also point out the obvious and say that it will be really nice to have him back.

Jase

I'd say it's one of the best I've ever seen, if not the best (it's not that controversial a statement because of my age), because if I recall, it was after Ronaldo's miss and Hargreaves had to score. Not a single keeper would have saved it, even knowing where he would place it in advance wouldn't have helped them. It had power, pace and placement. Even if he never plays another match for us again, I'll always remember him fondly for that moment and the free kick against Arsenal.
Don't forget he was arguably our best player on the pitch during the final. I still have hope for Hargreaves.

Doevle

His injury is all Berba's fault. If Berba had had the faith of SAF to play in CM/DM/RB role, which you'd expect from a 30 million pound signing, then he wouldn't have had to have overused Hargreaves by playing him in three games last season.

fecking Berbatov.
Exactly what I was thinking.

RonaldoVII

I'll post the lineup from MUTV as soon as it's on here, SSN or Super Sunday might have it earlier so keep watch. Hargreaves watch is on :D

Status
Not open for further replies.