Owen Hargreaves | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name Changed

weso26
His injury is all Berba's fault. If Berba had had the faith of SAF to play in CM/DM/RB role, which you'd expect from a 30 million pound signing, then he wouldn't have had to have overused Hargreaves by playing him in three games last season.

fecking Berbatov.
:houllier:

Crerand Legend

I have had doubts about Hargo. Beginning to think that instead of pulling him out of the reserves to train with the Ist team, SAF has realised that he aint coming back anytime soon if at all, he would have benefited from the reserve match tonight if he was fit

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I have had doubts about Hargo. Beginning to think that instead of pulling him out of the reserves to train with the Ist team, SAF has realised that he aint coming back anytime soon if at all, he would have benefited from the reserve match tonight if he was fit
Exactly, I knew as soon as they said he was pulled out to train with the first team it was bull shit.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Sir Alex Ferguson has played down suggestions that Own Hargreaves will play for Manchester United again this season.
The England international hasn't featured for United since September 2008 after having operations on both his knees in a bid to cure a long-standing problem.

Hargreaves was on the bench for the recent 2-1 defeat to Chelsea and was expected to feature for the club before the end of the season.

However, Ferguson has now played down that possibility, claiming that there is plenty of competition for places in United's midfield and that Hargreaves isn't guaranteed a spot.

"It is difficult to say when Owen will be back; he is training well and I had him in the squad for the Chelsea game," stated Ferguson.

"His training performances have been fine but I think at the moment midfield is not an issue for us because we have plenty of alternatives."

Manchester United: Ferguson cool on Hargreaves return - ClubCall.com

hmmmm

Rowem

gently, down the stream
It's always tough at this point of the season, trying to get a player who's been out for that long back into the team. As long as we're fighting for the title still, assuming there isn't a crisis in a position Hargreaves can play, I think it very unlikely he'll feature
Agreed.

The last thing we want to do his aggravate his injury before the summer. With a long summer to rest and a full pre season hopefully he can come into next season on a level par with everyone else fitness wise.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agreed.

The last thing we want to do his aggravate his injury before the summer. With a long summer to rest and a full pre season hopefully he can come into next season on a level par with everyone else fitness wise.
Yep. No need to risk anything this late in the year, especially as Gibson is a viable option.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Ive always said there is no need to risk him. Let him have a full preseason and be back fighting for the first team in August.

I'm always right

But it pisses me off that SAF lies about it constantly, wouldn't it just be better to say "we think it's better if Owen has a full pre-season with us and comes back as strong as possible for next season" ?

Why the hell SAF lead people into believing that he'd be on the bench for Chelsea is a mystery to me. After not appearing on the bench for another 2 weeks and not appearing in another reserve game, people start making their own conclusions, usually negative ones with regards to his injury situation.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Agreed.

That is what people said at the end of last season. Since then his introduction date has been postponed from September to August next season now.

I think any one who is over optimistic about seeing Hargo in his pomp for us again will be in for a disappointment.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
That is what people said at the end of last season. Since then his introduction date has been postponed from September to August next season now.
The difference is that he is now in the matchday squads. He is, technically, uninjured. He just isn't match fit.

I don't expect him to return to his old self but I think he could play in a less dynamic holding role in order to put a bit less stress on his knee.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
But it pisses me off that SAF lies about it constantly, wouldn't it just be better to say "we think it's better if Owen has a full pre-season with us and comes back as strong as possible for next season" ?

Why the hell SAF lead people into believing that he'd be on the bench for Chelsea is a mystery to me. After not appearing on the bench for another 2 weeks and not appearing in another reserve game, people start making their own conclusions, usually negative ones with regards to his injury situation.
Isn't that pretty much what he has just said? I certainly took it as being implied.

There's no need for Hargreaves to play in reserve games other than to build up match fitness. With 4 games left in the season and a whole host of midfielders available there isn't much point trying to get him match fit. It's not as if we want him going to the World Cup, is it?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He is poised to return in September/December/March/April in the year 2009/2010/2011
take your pick.

I'm always right

Isn't that pretty much what he has just said? I certainly took it as being implied.

There's no need for Hargreaves to play in reserve games other than to build up match fitness. With 4 games left in the season and a whole host of midfielders available there isn't much point trying to get him match fit. It's not as if we want him going to the World Cup, is it?
Well no not exactly, he said "it's difficult to say when he will be back".

I would love the stone cold truth.

Agree with you on the second point, as an Englishman I was desperate for him to go the the WC but only if he'd have been playing since Jan/Feb. No way in a million years would I want him to go now, better to get him a full pre-season and come back next year with the bit between his teeth.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Possibly because he himself wasn't sure whether he would've used him much this year. With our league hopes dimming by the match, it looks like he's correctly decided to bring him back after a full summer of training.

Name Changed

weso26
What would be the point of him playing this season at this stage?

Let him build up his knees in the summer and return after a good preseason, ready to go.

krazyrobus

Confidence. If he can come off 2 games unscathed at the tail end of this season then that puts them out of the way next season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Confidence. If he can come off 2 games unscathed at the tail end of this season then that puts them out of the way next season.
No reason that can't be accomplished in the reserve matches. The movements during match play are identical.

Carl

What would be the point of him playing this season at this stage?

Let him build up his knees in the summer and return after a good preseason, ready to go.
I've no doubt that will be the press release pretty much word for word. Reality, though, is that next season will be the same as this season for him. If he's still here.

Such a shame.

Carl

No reason that can't be accomplished in the reserve matches. The movements during match play are identical.
If that was how they felt why did they pull him out of the reserves to "train with the first team." It's not a step backwards. Honest.

krazyrobus

Reserve matches are not premier league matches. If they were then we'd have more outstanding youth talents making the grade at this club.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If that was how they felt why did they pull him out of the reserves to "train with the first team." It's not a step backwards. Honest.
Who knows. I get the impression Fergie has been vascillating on whether to actually bring him back for the title run in, or not. The fact that our title hopes are dimming suggests that any need for him to come back this year is all but gone.

Carl

Who knows. I get the impression Fergie has been vascillating on whether to actually bring him back for the title run in, or not. The fact that our title hopes are dimming suggests that any need for him to come back this year is all but gone.
Or now could be the perfect time to bring him back as there is less pressure on the games.

Either way it's all pie in the sky. He might make 1 or 2 appearances but he'll never be back to how he was.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Reserve matches are not premier league matches. If they were then we'd have more outstanding youth talents making the grade at this club.
Of course they're not, but the movement and competition are still there, which is what he needs. Looks like Fergie made the right call, as they're no need to risk him as an experiment. Let him come back fresh next year.

krazyrobus

Yes but is it more physical or faster than the pl, nope. So I think there would still be lingering doubts. I think playing 2 pl matches now would stand him in great stead to train and perform in pre-season without those doubts in his head because he has already done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.