Owen Hargreaves | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Has his leg break anything to do with his nobbly knees though? Different injuries I think.
He's suggested that by coming back early from the leg break, the muscles around the knees were underdeveloped, and caused the onset of tendinitis. Whether that's the case or not, I haven't got a clue.

MiamiSpartan

Brophs got it spot on. That was the diagnosis from Dr. Steadman and he's pretty clued up on these sorts of things.
Makes complete sense. Years ago, I tore my ACL. After doing essentially nothing with that leg for just a week or so, it was amazing how much my leg muscles deteriorated. In my physical therapy, I started out doing leg lifts, and could barely have any weight on it at first. They showed me the comparison by having me do the same thing with my other leg and many more weights. I was astonished at how weak my leg had gotten in just a couple of weeks. Not my knee, but even my quad, calf, etc.

beardsleybob

He might make 1 or 2 appearances but he'll never be back to how he was.
Well that's complete bullshit

What about Ronaldo? End of 1999 he ruptured his ACL, recovered 6 months later, and ruptured it again on his comeback. 2 years later he made his comeback in the WC and was the top scorer, and scored Brazils winning goals in both the semis and final. That year he won WPotY and moved to Real. Since he came back from that double ligament injury he's scored 148 goals in 265 appearances in club football, and 26 in 42 for Brazil

Hans Moleman

He's missed the last 2 days training with a calf injury, so don't hold too much hope of a subs bench place tomorrow.

Name Changed

weso26
He's missed the last 2 days training with a calf injury, so don't hold too much hope of a subs bench place tomorrow.
The fact that he has been training and is acquiring 'new injuries' is probably a good thing. If it was a knee problem then I'd be more worried. He's going to have a lot of niggly problems during his recovery.

Name Changed

weso26
I mean that the fact that he is able to acquire new injuries is probably a good thing. It would mean that he must be (i) training and (ii) training intensively enough to acquire such injuries. The harder he trains, the more hopeful I would personally be of a full return.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean that the fact that he is able to acquire new injuries is probably a good thing. It would mean that he must be (i) training and (ii) training intensively enough to acquire such injuries. The harder he trains, the more hopeful I would personally be of a full return.
He's been "training" for fecking ages.

I've no idea if he's stepped it up recently or not but bearing in mind he played 45 minutes reserve football a month ago and hasn't been seen since, I somehow doubt it.

Name Changed

weso26
He's been "training" for fecking ages.

I've no idea if he's stepped it up recently or not but bearing in mind he played 45 minutes reserve football a month ago and hasn't been seen since, I somehow doubt it.
If he wasn't being picked in the matchday squad for the first team over the last few matches, I'm sure he would have been featuring for the reserves.

Anyway, it would take months for him to get football fit. It would be easy for him to get fit, but being fit for football is a different kind of fitness. Realistically, after such a long injury with so many setbacks, he has not been training that long. I have been very surprised that he has been involved at all. As I said previously, I would have personally thought that having a great preseason and building towards that would be more beneficial than trying to rush him back now in an effort to get him fit for a couple of matches towards the end of the season.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Acquiring 'new injuries' has been a recurring theme throghout his career. Stands to reason he's going to get even more of them after such a long lay-off. I wouldn't say this is a good thing.
Bullard, Neville, Solskjaer all picked up niggly injuries after a long lay off. The body isn't used to that sort of physicality after doing nothing for over a year.

A good pre-season and who knows.

Brophs

The One and Only
I honestly can't understand why it's preferable to have a 50% fit (at best) player in our match day squads, who doesn't have a realistic chance of playing, when he could be with the reserves and building up a bit of match practice.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I honestly can't understand why it's preferable to have a 50% fit (at best) player in our match day squads, who doesn't have a realistic chance of playing, when he could be with the reserves and building up a bit of match practice.
Beats the hell out of me.

No doubt something to do with giving him confidence and self-belief but I would have thought that was much more likely to come from doing what he's paid to do, play football.

Name Changed

weso26
It has to be that they want to get him back integrated with the first team squad and have him involved. I don't see the point either when he isn't going to play. Getting sharpness and fitness back in the reserves would surely be more beneficial?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Well that's complete bullshit

What about Ronaldo? End of 1999 he ruptured his ACL, recovered 6 months later, and ruptured it again on his comeback. 2 years later he made his comeback in the WC and was the top scorer, and scored Brazils winning goals in both the semis and final. That year he won WPotY and moved to Real. Since he came back from that double ligament injury he's scored 148 goals in 265 appearances in club football, and 26 in 42 for Brazil
I meant 1 or 2 appearances for us, not in his entire career. Also, the injury he had is completely different to Ronaldo's so i'm not entirely sure how that's even relevant.

beardsleybob

I meant 1 or 2 appearances for us, not in his entire career. Also, the injury he had is completely different to Ronaldo's so i'm not entirely sure how that's even relevant.
Well it's relevant because he had two career-threatening knee injuries, but he made it back and won PotY and a transfer to Real within 6 months. That's how much of a comeback he made. Those stats I included were after his injury, not entirely useless after such a setback.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I remember being worried when I logged onto bayern forums to see what the Germans were saying... they were laughing and a few predicted he'd break down for a year soon enough -> he doesn't do small injuries.

Thought they were bitter back then. :(

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Well it's relevant because he had two career-threatening knee injuries, but he made it back and won PotY and a transfer to Real within 6 months. That's how much of a comeback he made. Those stats I included were after his injury, not entirely useless after such a setback.
But it's a different injury? It was in the same place but not the same problem.

Look, i see where you drew the comparison i just don't hold much hope for Owen. As was mentioned earlier, i'm got my self excited and optimistic about his return so many times only to be let down i've just kind of lost faith now.

I hope he does return, he's a quality player in an area where we're quite weak. I just can't see it though.

Devil may care

I never thought he would play this season when he was left out of the second CL squad, I figured the plans would be geared towards him getting in a good pre-season. Even so I am keeping my expectations low, I don't subscribe to this idea that all will be rosy next season or that he is the answer to our midfield issues, I just hope he can play a part in the squad, any more than that would be a bonus.

Alex

"It's Hargreavesssssssssss. It's there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Wouldnt have anyone in the EPL take a freekick from 22 or so yards in other than him, reckon he won the title in that match v Arsenal in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.