Ozil

Kostur

海尔的老板
meh he is fine. His problem is he plays for arsenal. You put him in a balanced team and he creates wonders. Emery is just a dummy who plays torreira as a 10 every now and then.
Yeah just like it was Sanchez's problem that he played for Arsenal.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We’d be absolutely mental to go for Ozil. Also his love affair with Erdogan makes him detestable off the pitch too.

KennyBurner

It’s hilarious how people want Özil.

People like scholes say we need him, but then sit there slagging off a player like pogba :lol:

Özil is lazier, plays less, paid more and has an even worse attitude.

When he’s at his best he’s one of the most creative players in the world - but there’s no way our team could carry him
Ozil similar to pogba is not Lazy in the slightest. There are statistics to back this up. The problem with both players though is they tend to neglect defensive responsibilities and switch off in key moments. For instance Ozil could be guarding a player during a corner and let him run past hoping nothing bad happens.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ozil similar to pogba is not Lazy in the slightest. There are statistics to back this up. The problem with both players though is they tend to neglect defensive responsibilities and switch off in key moments. For instance Ozil could be guarding a player during a corner and let him run past hoping nothing bad happens.
Hard working at finding space, lazy defender.

just not worth the baggage he brings.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I would love to have him here.

He was pathetically lambasted in the World Cup when he was actually very good, creating chances in the minutes he got to play. He's head is just not in it with Arsenal so maybe he needs a new setting to get back, also with players like Martial, James and Rashford he can really be the vital cog to unlock our attack. One problem would obviously be his lack of defensive support, and when you'l have Pogba there as well it is going to ask a lot of the defensive midfielder to try and cover the defence. Can't think of anyone right now in our squad who can do that type of role.

That being said, I don't think he would even want to join us. I think his mind is made up on moving to the US for one final paycheck, his motivation seems to have gone. Honestly, I just want him gone from Arsenal but still play a top European league.

Kostur

海尔的老板
They are both different players so i really dont know were the correlation is coming from.
From the symptoms displayed and 'medicine' to these symptoms. Most of us (myself included) throught that Sanchez was merely sulking at Arsenal and he'd be a player reborn somewhere else. Your comment about Ozil is mirroring the same thought.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
meh he is fine. His problem is he plays for arsenal. You put him in a balanced team and he creates wonders. Emery is just a dummy who plays torreira as a 10 every now and then.
The treatment of Mesut Ozil is one of the few things Emery has handled correctly at Arsenal.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Imagine a central midfield consisting of both Pogba and Ozil...

Even Craggy Island's football team would walk through us!

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Out of interest, for those of you saying no to signing Ozil, does this also include a 6 month loan in January?

I don't see anyone better than him in the number 10 role for United personally.

Lee565

In all honesty what would be so different between having him in the team compared to the inconsistent performances that we have seen from pogba in a United shirt where he is great one match but then goes missing in another?

May be a 4222 formation would fit him and pogba in

-mctominay-axel
Ozil--------pogba
--rashford-martial

Judas

Open to offers
Out of interest, for those of you saying no to signing Ozil, does this also include a 6 month loan in January?

I don't see anyone better than him in the number 10 role for United personally.
I don't want him in any shape or form.

I'm honestly so confused how people can think it's even a good idea for even a one month loan.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He should just retire. He's been playing as if he wants to for almost two seasons, he doesn't care anymore.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't think China is safe for him mate.
:lol:

I think Americans will like him for what he said though :p

I'm gonna say it eventhough I'l get flack for it, Ozil at his peak was as good as De Bruyne. But feck me he's just average nowadays.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
His contract expires in June 2021. By then he'll have cost Arsenal 25mil just in wages

Bojan11

I'm gonna say it eventhough I'l get flack for it, Ozil at his peak was as good as De Bruyne. But feck me he's just average nowadays.
He was never as good as De Bruyne. What Bruyne did today, I have never seen Ozil produce something like that.

Same goes for Pogba before anyone says I’m only having a go at Ozil.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He was never as good as De Bruyne. What Bruyne did today, I have never seen Ozil produce something like that.

His production in his Real Madrid days was as much as De Bruyne right now in City. That's the issue, it's been so long since Ozil left Madrid that people forget how good he was back then, from 08-13 for Bremen, Madrid and Germany he was outrageously good.

He didn't have the goalscoring ability of De Bruyne, granted, but he was a better playmaker. Which is why I'm saying they would be equal.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
His production in his Real Madrid days was as much as De Bruyne right now in City. That's the issue, it's been so long since Ozil left Madrid that people forget how good he was back then, from 08-13 for Bremen, Madrid and Germany he was outrageously good.

He didn't have the goalscoring ability of De Bruyne, granted, but he was a better playmaker. Which is why I'm saying they would be equal.
He was, perhaps, De Bruyne's equal in terms of his playmaking skills, but he wasn't a player who would turn a game around by himself (even though the disappearance cliche was a bit overused). I'd back De Bruyne if we needed to create chances more consistently and Özil if we needed something truly magical.

Well worth the watch btw

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Özil was a better passer than de Bruyne. He averaged 4 key passes a game for a very lomg period and only Messi can compete with him in terms of assists. He was also much better at dribbling but he never came close to de Bruyne's goal threat.

So it's a question of preference and utilization. De Bruyne couldn't reproduce what Özil did at Madrid and vice versa. I personally like prime Özil more, just like I preferred David Silva over de Bruyne.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Just went over some stats comparing De Bruyne at City and Wolfsburg, between 2013 to now, and Ozil in Bremen and Madrid, from 2007 to 2013.

Ozil: 267 matches, 43 goals and 134 assists at 111 ga/match
De Bruyne: 268 matches, 67 goals and 114 assists at 118 ga/match <---- This includes today's match.

Very similar. A shame what Ozil has done, and the treatment he's gotten as well, since he moved to Arsenal.

He was, perhaps, De Bruyne's equal in terms of his playmaking skills, but he wasn't a player who would turn a game around by himself (even though the disappearance cliche was a bit overused). I'd back De Bruyne if we needed to create chances more consistently and Özil if we needed something truly magical.

Well worth the watch btw
Surprised to see Fabregas so high given he hasn't played much the last 2-3 years as well. Ozil was amazing early in his career, so much potential failed at Arsenal.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He’s been rubbish for years. Shows up with a good game every now and then but that’s it. They should’ve sold him in the summer before they sold Sanchez & gave Ozil a new contract.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool

He was technically a very gifted player that lacked cojones.
A player I'd liken him to is Guti - who was similarly technically fantastic (maybe just a shade worse than Ozil) but had the grit and mental determination to go with it. Give me a Guti over an Ozil any day.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Wenger's last gift to Arsenal was giving this idiot an insane contract :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So what’s the consensus on his career at Arsenal? Flop? Disappointment? Success?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
So what’s the consensus on his career at Arsenal? Flop? Disappointment? Success?
Scapegoat. He broke the record for fastest to 50 assists, his record against big teams up until a couple of seasons back was as good as players like Eriksen and Silva.

Arsenal won 2 trophies with him in the squad when they didn't win any before he came since 2004.

Taking the last two turbulent seasons aside, in any other club he would deemed as a good player but maybe not the all time great that he had the potential to be, but a good player non the less. But ultimately, he was made the villain for everything bad at the club.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Scapegoat. He broke the record for fastest to 50 assists, his record against big teams up until a couple of seasons back was as good as players like Eriksen and Silva.

Arsenal won 2 trophies with him in the squad when they did win any before he came since 2004.

Taking the last two turbulent seasons aside, in any other club he would deemed as a good player but maybe not the all time great that he had the potential to be, but a good player non the less. But ultimately, he was made the villain for everything bad at the club.
With hindsight, renewing was a mistake. I'm sure Bayern or PSG would have taken him and he'd have had a comfortable career.

Luke1995

Ozil is a case of a player who achieved too much early in his career and his motivation seemed to drop off after.

His last really good season came in 2015-16. After the 2018 World Cup he seemed a worse player.

He was bashed plenty of times on here due to not running, but to be fair to him, in most of the games Arsenal lost to the big teams under Wenger, pretty much all of the team had a bad day.

I remember one game against City in late 2016 where City played at a very high pace and Arsenal seemed to lack fitness, and instead of blaming Arsenal fitness's coach, only Ozil was blamed.

Anyway, if he is at Arsenal for such a long time without competing for the big trophies, it's clear he is happy in London and has put that before any footballing goals.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One of the media’s favourite whipping boys back in the eye of the storm again.

Personally, I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, but media and ex-pros are not entitled to come out and publicly condemn or attack the player in the way they have over a decision that he is well entitled to make. You could feel you would have done things differently if you wish, but there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to your own money, everyone will base it on their own convictions.

The usual suspect serial condemners Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher OG course leading the assault today. They can feck off. Perhaps offer him an interview and ask for his views in a bit of detail. He’s not stealing anyone’s money, it’s his own salary, and as a result they should have some more fecking respect about it.

Vicenterubio

Supports
Real Madrid
Kroenke has billions of dollars. I dont know why Arsenal´s players have to pay the price.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
There's a podcast/itw with his agent who basically says that the 12,5% figure cannot be explained, that players should only do deferrals and wait for the actual price of the virus to be known before commiting to a paycut. The issue is a lot more complicated than "how is he going to survive on 300k a week" The urgent issue has always been to protect the employees. Kroenke and the executives took care of that. There is no actual need for players to take an immediate paycut for the "survival" of the club, especially not at Arsenal who have actual cash in the bank. He's not against it, he'd just rather wait to have all the actual figures and do it in a smarter way.

P0GBA

I don't really see why players like Ozil should take a pay cut and they certainly shouldn't be vilified for choosing not to do so. If anything we need high earners like him earning as much as possible to fund the NHS. The club is owned by a billionaire and is not in any financial difficulties.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
There's a podcast/itw with his agent who basically says that the 12,5% figure cannot be explained, that players should only do deferrals and wait for the actual price of the virus to be known before commiting to a paycut. The issue is a lot more complicated than "how is he going to survive on 300k a week" The urgent issue has always been to protect the employees. Kroenke and the executives took care of that. There is no actual need for players to take an immediate paycut for the "survival" of the club, especially not at Arsenal who have actual cash in the bank. He's not against it, he'd just rather wait to have all the actual figures and do it in a smarter way.
I respect his stance and he is fully entitled to it when most players will just be being led like sheep with some likely having little clue or in some cases even care about the purpose for which their money is intended.

I'm not sure i'd handle it in the same way as him though.