Pakistan

Zlatattack

Its just depressing as heck. Same old corruption.

Wonder what the chances are of Nawaz Sharif's "illness" vanishing now and him being on the flight back to Pakistan in the coming days.
He'll be back. He's just waiting for his brother to become PM.

Zlatattack

It's in the Pakistani people's hands now. Riot, protest, make a noise that can be heard in India and Afghanistan. Make the army come in and take control. Even they will be a million times better than any political party barring Imran Khan.

Or sit there and do nothing and be rear hole raped into the next century. You, the people, ultimately will get the leaders you deserve.
The army is core to the problem. I've always defended the armed forces, but not anymore. Bajwa orchestrated all this.

The PTI govt today tried to submit a reference to the courts to get them to investigate the foreign conspiracy, they were told the courts had closed early due to ramadan timings.
The very same evening, at 10pm, after a rumour spread that IK was going to fire the COAS, the Islamabad high court held an emergency session to address a petition by a civilian asking the courts to block any transfer of govt officials by the PM.

This is common knowledge all over the news and twitter etc.

Ahmer Baig

A very sad day today. This does not bode well for country when all corrupt politicians are going to be back in power.

VP

The foreign conspiracy sounds like desperate nonsense. Could it just be possible that Imran Khan wasn't very good at his job? I mean the economy's a mess and he couldn't hold his party together.

Shez

The foreign conspiracy sounds like desperate nonsense. Could it just be possible that Imran Khan wasn't very good at his job? I mean the economy's a mess and he couldn't hold his party together.
Pretty much this … easy for Pakistani expats to think all’s hunky dory. People living in the country are bearing the brunt of hyper inflation, an economy in tatters and Imran emboldening extremists again

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Pretty much this … easy for Pakistani expats to think all’s hunky dory. People living in the country are bearing the brunt of hyper inflation, an economy in tatters and Imran emboldening extremists again
First off there isn't anything close to hyper inflation in Pakistan. Current inflation rates are 13%, and it used to be that high some years even when I was there.

I'm sure a lot of ex pats, including myself, have family in Pakistan and they could still be supporting Imran Khan at this. Certainly, pretty much everyone in my family still wants Imran Khan.

The main reason is that everyone knows the people in the other side are crooks who ruled the country one after another for around 30 years and only ruined the country with corruption. So even if the economy hasn't been stable under IK, some people don't want the previous ruling parties to come back because we all know they'll just go back to their corrupt ways.

So yea, pretty much everyone in family, Facebook feed etc who are in Pakistan wanted Imran Khan to stay and do want the other two parties back.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Do you know how to guess at what causes inflation for a layman? Here's one take, corrupt leaders continuously loot the country by the billions of dollars for 30 years continually. They strip all infrastructure and not leave a dime in the treasury. It's all happily residing in Bhutto's private Surrey airstrip and many Swiss bank accounts (see the leaks documents).

Then a man comes along to try to get this stripped and raped country back best he can. What do you think he has to work with? What do you think will happen with taxation and inflation?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
KHAN WAS A GREAT CRICKETER BUT A DIFFICULT PERSONALITY
HE CLASHED WITH PARLIAMENT BECAUSE HE WAS SHIFTED TO THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING EVEN THOUGH HE WON ELECTION IN THAT POSITION
TOUGH PERSONALITY ? HE STILL SUBSIDISED FUEL LOCAL AND NATIONLEVEL
NATION
NATION
NATION LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Inflation is an issue for almost countries mainly due to issues caused by Covid and Ukraine.

VP

First off there isn't anything close to hyper inflation in Pakistan. Current inflation rates are 13%, and it used to be that high some years even when I was there.

I'm sure a lot of ex pats, including myself, have family in Pakistan and they could still be supporting Imran Khan at this. Certainly, pretty much everyone in my family still wants Imran Khan.

The main reason is that everyone knows the people in the other side are crooks who ruled the country one after another for around 30 years and only ruined the country with corruption. So even if the economy hasn't been stable under IK, some people don't want the previous ruling parties to come back because we all know they'll just go back to their corrupt ways.

So yea, pretty much everyone in family, Facebook feed etc who are in Pakistan wanted Imran Khan to stay and do want the other two parties back.
Apparently he only won 31% of the vote in 2018 which really doesn't match the universal popularity folks here are painting.

Zlatattack

Streets of Pakistan are full of protestors at the moment. Hopefully we'll see the coup and its leaders held to account one day soon.

RedTiger

Half mast
If you call what's happening in Pakistan "hyper inflation" then what's happening in Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and India?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Apparently he only won 31% of the vote in 2018 which really doesn't match the universal popularity folks here are painting.
I may be outdated or just wrong in this, but my understanding of Pakistani politics is that large rural land-owners and urban industrialists have traditionally had a hugely significant influence over the voting choices of the peasantry and working-class respectively (moreso the former than the latter), and have tended to direct them to vote for one of the traditional and conservative big families - Bhutto or Sharif - who have part of their power base in these areas (Bhuttos more Sindh, Sharif more Punjab). For this reason the results in 2018 may not accurately reflect Imran Khan’s actual popularity. I get the sense that he’s the first Pakistani politician with genuine cross-country appeal, the first to make the attempt to transcend the corrupt politics of patronage.

Shez

If we all stop living in the Twitter memes and the misleading statements out by the Khan government and look at the cold hard facts:
https://tribune.com.pk/story/2351157/public-debt-soars-by-rs18-trillion
18 trillion added in the last three years to government debt
Inflation being at its highest point since 2015 in his tenure
https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/03/25/pakistan-inflation-imran-khan-no-confidence-vote/

But let’s be honest - he lost me when he aligned himself with TLP and ASWJ - extremist factions in Pakistan that take glee if not outright claim responsibility for sectarian violence in Pakistan. He has fanned the flames by permitting and at times engaging in hateful rhetoric - his BS about hazara shias holding him “hostage” after they requested his presence after yet another terror attack on them

Zlatattack

Look at this crowd and tell me this nation does not support its leader.

Bring on your fecking tanks.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Impressive amount of crowds. I take it that Imran Khan is quite popular?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Looks like those same corrupt aholes (Bhutto and Sharifs) will be back in power to loot the country again!

Glad Sarwar was sacked, one of the most corrupt families.

Sad day for Pakistans population.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Impressive amount of crowds. I take it that Imran Khan is quite popular?
The bar is soooo low in Pakistan that any (truly) honest man is seen as extraordinary in Pakistan. The only difference now is the ordinary public is doing something about it. This is the first time I'm seeing this in 40 years.

Alhamdolliah, it's bringing tears of joy and relief to my eyes. Hopefully it doesn't fizzle out. Inqalab Tsunami is finally here. :devil:

Oh, by the way Shez is Fearless of this thread. A shill to ignore.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If we all stop living in the Twitter memes and the misleading statements out by the Khan government and look at the cold hard facts:
https://tribune.com.pk/story/2351157/public-debt-soars-by-rs18-trillion
18 trillion added in the last three years to government debt
Inflation being at its highest point since 2015 in his tenure
https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/03/25/pakistan-inflation-imran-khan-no-confidence-vote/

But let’s be honest - he lost me when he aligned himself with TLP and ASWJ - extremist factions in Pakistan that take glee if not outright claim responsibility for sectarian violence in Pakistan. He has fanned the flames by permitting and at times engaging in hateful rhetoric - his BS about hazara shias holding him “hostage” after they requested his presence after yet another terror attack on them
This the same tactics used here to demonize our current president.

2 years of state funded COVID care which could amount to tens of thousands dollars charged by the private hospital cost lots of money, inflation was not due to mishandled but due to international economy, but off course the opposition would pin everything on the incumbent.

And things like government debt aren't new for developing countries, which country don't borrow each year?

Shez

This the same tactics used here to demonize our current president.

2 years of state funded COVID care which could amount to tens of thousands dollars charged by the private hospital cost lots of money, inflation was not due to mishandled but due to international economy, but off course the opposition would pin everything on the incumbent.

And things like government debt aren't new for developing countries, which country don't borrow each year?
I would again look at the dates in the articles and distinguish between 2018-2020 (pre covid and post)

1/3 of a 75 year old countries debt added in 3 years?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I would again look at the dates in the articles and distinguish between 2018-2020 (pre covid and post)

1/3 of a 75 year old countries debt added in 3 years?
Pakistan was at a default when he had taken charge. There was nothing at all in the treasury. Its been ransacked for the last 30 odd years. Don't you feel 30 years of looting will affect?

Shez

The bar is soooo low in Pakistan that any (truly) honest man is seen as extraordinary in Pakistan. The only difference now is the ordinary public is doing something about it. This is the first time I'm seeing this in 40 years.

Alhamdolliah, it's bringing tears of joy and relief to my eyes. Hopefully it doesn't fizzle out. Inqalab Tsunami is finally here. :devil:

Oh, by the way Shez is Fearless of this thread. A shill to ignore.
Yawn just call any dissenting voice a shill - unlike most people in the thread I was actually born and raised there. Despite having moved abroad for my masters degree and subsequent career, I actually spend almost 1/3 of my year in Pakistan. I was very pro imran in his 2013 run - his antics ever since lost my support / respect for him.