Gaming Paradox Interactive grand strategy games (Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings etc.)

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I do enjoy the Paradox games - CK2 and EU3 were my favourites. I still play some of the mods for CK2 like LOTR and Game of Thrones now and then.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Payday is next week and Hearts of Iron 4 is already out, mocking me for not having it yet.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
That's unfair. EUIV & Stellaris had pretty good launches in terms of bugs.

(I don't own HoI4).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Imperator: Rome comes out tomorrow. Back in the day I played these games quite a lot, but there's just so much going on in them, I'm not sure I have the spare time to get into it.

Anyone hyped for this?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Imperator: Rome comes out tomorrow. Back in the day I played these games quite a lot, but there's just so much going on in them, I'm not sure I have the spare time to get into it.

Anyone hyped for this?
I'm still playing CK2 after all these years, now with the Game of Thrones mod.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I still play a lot of EUIV, have CK2 but never really got in to it.

Love Roman history so will almost certainly pick up Imperator.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
I'll probably buy it at some point and then look at it once in a while in my Steam library because I never have time to play it!
A bit like every other Paradox game I own right now.

jeff_goldblum

Love Paradox and still dive into CK2 once or twice a year. I'll get this when I'm onto a more sensible working pattern and have the free time to give it a proper run. At the moment my first RDR2 playthrough is taking all my leisure time.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'll probably buy it at some point and then look at it once in a while in my Steam library because I never have time to play it!
A bit like every other Paradox game I own right now.
This is me as well. I have a few Europa Universalis games in my steam library. Sometimes I fire one up, realize I forgot about 90% of how it works and give up again. I switched to playing the Total War games a few years ago. Bit more pacey and still challenging in their own way.

dr.twinny

Playing CK2 a bit more with the Holy Fury dlc which really adds a lot to the game. I also have EUIV and Cities: Skylines in my library, but haven't touched those in a while. Paradox games do take a lot out of you though :D

Chipper

Adulterer.
Did a couple of complete playthroughs of CK2 a long time ago now, really liked it. It's been something I keep meaning to give another go, maybe even trying to get some achivements on Steam because whatever mode I was playing in back then didn't get them. I think you could restart or go back in time if something went wrong in the mode I was on, not that I did. Not actually sure what it was.

Used to watch a few people on youtube play it too. Just checked my sub list - quill18, shenryyr and j2jonjeremy for hints and tips and I remember it being kind of relaxing late night viewing to doze off to with it being kind of slow.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Did a couple of complete playthroughs of CK2 a long time ago now, really liked it. It's been something I keep meaning to give another go, maybe even trying to get some achivements on Steam because whatever mode I was playing in back then didn't get them. I think you could restart or go back in time if something went wrong in the mode I was on, not that I did. Not actually sure what it was.

Used to watch a few people on youtube play it too. Just checked my sub list - quill18, shenryyr and j2jonjeremy for hints and tips and I remember it being kind of relaxing late night viewing to doze off to with it being kind of slow.
I used to enjoy watching Arumba for playthroughs - helpful for tips, was funny and made you feel very relaxed.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I used to enjoy watching Arumba for playthroughs - helpful for tips, was funny and made you feel very relaxed.
That name rang a bell and I've just checked, seems I'm still subbed to him as well.

Agree on the relaxing thing, it's quite a chilled game. Not like some youtube or twitch gamers screaming their heads off at horror games or yelling because they let in a goal on FIFA. A totally different vibe.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Just bumping this because I've started yet another campaign in HOI4. This time I'm the Soviet Union, I've already attacked and taken over Poland and Germany, thus preventing WWII, but I'm in the middle of a civil war now playing as Trotsky. Somehow Zhukov has come over to my side so I'm expecting us to march into Moscow within a month.

This game is so fecking amazing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wishing you good blessings for your crusade Pidge :)
Thanks Comrade!

Had to restart as I inadvertently started a war with the UK and France without realising, and whilst I was marching on Moscow I didn't realise all of my naval units had reset and I was now trapped between the Red Army to the South and Churchill's tea drinkers to the North. Blyad.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I installed Crusader Kings 3 on gamepass, spent about an hour reading a wall of text and did a big fat nope and swiftly uninstalled. That is all.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I installed Crusader Kings 3 on gamepass, spent about an hour reading a wall of text and did a big fat nope and swiftly uninstalled. That is all.
All Paradox games are like that - a big learning curve to start off with but once you get over that they genuinely become amazing and fun games to play.

Abizzz

All Paradox games are like that - a big learning curve to start off with but once you get over that they genuinely become amazing and fun games to play.
Seconded. I love Europa Universalis. However I'm not sure I could start out these days... having played the previous iterations is pretty much the only way to avoid the walls of texts at this point.

Anyone can play city skylines though. Literally anyone. I'd bet a dog could if you'd dress up the mouse as a cat.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Seconded. I love Europa Universalis. However I'm not sure I could start out these days... having played the previous iterations is pretty much the only way to avoid the walls of texts at this point.

Anyone can play city skylines though. Literally anyone. I'd bet a dog could if you'd dress up the mouse as a cat.
:lol: yeah that might work

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I struggle to get into these types of games because I feel like the way of moving around and viewing is a bit all over the place and there's constantly shit off screen you need to be a bit aware of. I think it's just the way my brain works. I have the same thing with Civ sometimes but usually able to play it ok. It's just a lot of moving parts.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Just bumping this because I've started yet another campaign in HOI4. This time I'm the Soviet Union, I've already attacked and taken over Poland and Germany, thus preventing WWII, but I'm in the middle of a civil war now playing as Trotsky. Somehow Zhukov has come over to my side so I'm expecting us to march into Moscow within a month.

This game is so fecking amazing.
Just got it looking forward to seeing how it plays.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I just finished my Bulgaria game. Took me until 1951, but I did eventually conquer the world (well not all of it, my allies are still there. I'm not a psychopath).

Now I'm just waiting for Kaiserreich to be updated for No Step Back, should be any day now.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Crusader Kings 3 is by far the most accessible Paradox game, so it might not be for you :lol:
I feel like it's the sort of game I'd have loved years ago but I just don't have the time I used to to spend that long figuring a game out by reading walls and walls of text.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I just finished my Bulgaria game. Took me until 1951, but I did eventually conquer the world (well not all of it, my allies are still there. I'm not a psychopath).

Now I'm just waiting for Kaiserreich to be updated for No Step Back, should be any day now.
Have you ever played the Fallout mod? I might need to reinstall that.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Have you ever played the Fallout mod? I might need to reinstall that.
Old World Blues? Yeah, a little bit. It looks good, but I haven't ever gotten properly into it.

While waiting for Kaiserreich to update, I did stumble on Thousand Week Reich, an alt-history mod set in a world where the Nazis won WW2. The Soviet Union is completely divided, and I played as Zhukov and reunited it before destroying the Nazis. Quite satisfying, though the writing is quite a bit worse than Kaiserreich, and it's also clearly nowhere near as complete. The tech tree goes from post-war to the 90s, so they've got some ambitions.

There's another one called The New Order, which is also about a world where the Nazis won, but that one is apparently a bit of a genocide simulation. Their subreddit has like 6 rules specifically targeted at suppressing the hordes of alt-right kids wanting to roleplay the holocaust who are naturally attracted to it. Also, it's apparently more of a novel than a game, so I'll be giving that one a pass.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Old World Blues? Yeah, a little bit. It looks good, but I haven't ever gotten properly into it.

While waiting for Kaiserreich to update, I did stumble on Thousand Week Reich, an alt-history mod set in a world where the Nazis won WW2. The Soviet Union is completely divided, and I played as Zhukov and reunited it before destroying the Nazis. Quite satisfying, though the writing is quite a bit worse than Kaiserreich, and it's also clearly nowhere near as complete. The tech tree goes from post-war to the 90s, so they've got some ambitions.

There's another one called The New Order, which is also about a world where the Nazis won, but that one is apparently a bit of a genocide simulation. Their subreddit has like 6 rules specifically targeted at suppressing the hordes of alt-right kids wanting to roleplay the holocaust who are naturally attracted to it. Also, it's apparently more of a novel than a game, so I'll be giving that one a pass.
I did read all of that but I did want to point out that as soon as you said Zhukov and Germany I thought of this again

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I clocked about a 1000 hours in EU 4. How is HOI4 in comparison?

I could't really get in to Imperator: Rome since it was a bit shit at launch.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I clocked about a 1000 hours in EU 4. How is HOI4 in comparison?

I could't really get in to Imperator: Rome since it was a bit shit at launch.
Imperator is pretty good now, but they killed it dead with that launch. It won't get any more development, at least not for the foreseeable future.

HoI4 is great, and has some wonderful mods. It's different from EU4 though, in that it's about war. Whatever you're doing in it, it's about getting ready for war.

I'm giddy excited about Victoria 3.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Imperator is pretty good now, but they killed it dead with that launch. It won't get any more development, at least not for the foreseeable future.

HoI4 is great, and has some wonderful mods. It's different from EU4 though, in that it's about war. Whatever you're doing in it, it's about getting ready for war.

I'm giddy excited about Victoria 3.
That actually sounds awesome. I loved EU, but the wars well always a bit meh. I'd like to get into Hearts of Iron, but I don't really have time to learn it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
That actually sounds awesome. I loved EU, but the wars well always a bit meh. I'd like to get into Hearts of Iron, but I don't really have time to learn it.
It's not very complicated, at least not the basics. First game you'll play Germany or the USA or something, and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. In a few months you'll find yourself playing a total conversion Fallout mod. The army front feature makes it simple to start. You run into the classic Paradox problem of having a bunch of DLCs as a barrier, but a lot less than EU4 to be fair.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Started playing Victoria 3 a couple of days ago. It's amazing, the best game I've played in a while. I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've started two games as the United States. The first one ended after a few hours because Britain started to colonize South America and then came after me whilst I was in a war with Mexico like the sneaky feckers they are.

The second I set up most of my industry in the North and the military in the South. Then Abe Lincoln turned up early and I abolished slavery in about 1850, which resulted in civil war. The South had about twenty battalions and I had..... 3.

Going to try again but take it a bit slower this time. Build my strength up and see if I can play a game where the native Americans aren't treated like shit. And then for fun I'll invade Canada and kill all of their wildlife.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Some of the best games ever but you have to go into them with a certain mindset. Particularly ck2/3. It's not a game you win.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Started playing Victoria 3 a couple of days ago. It's amazing, the best game I've played in a while. I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've started two games as the United States. The first one ended after a few hours because Britain started to colonize South America and then came after me whilst I was in a war with Mexico like the sneaky feckers they are.

The second I set up most of my industry in the North and the military in the South. Then Abe Lincoln turned up early and I abolished slavery in about 1850, which resulted in civil war. The South had about twenty battalions and I had..... 3.

Going to try again but take it a bit slower this time. Build my strength up and see if I can play a game where the native Americans aren't treated like shit. And then for fun I'll invade Canada and kill all of their wildlife.
Been watching a long series of someone starting as the Sikh Empire and conquering the EIC before going after the UK, amongst others. It’s good fun.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Some of the best games ever but you have to go into them with a certain mindset. Particularly ck2/3. It's not a game you win.
Yeah, once you get into that mindset it's brilliant though. These games never really get old for me, unlike those peasant triple A games about angry bald men.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Just don't go to the subreddit. Nobody loves shitting on Paradox games more than people who will spent literally thousands of hours on them.

I love Victoria 3, even though I recognize it as very flawed. Games with the complexity of Paradox games are very hard to get right on the first try though, and they'll work on it (both for DLC and large patches and free content) for many years to come (patch 1.1 is coming on Monday, I believe). I loved Victoria 2 too, and I honestly never thought they'd actually make Vicky 3, since Vicky 2 was such a low seller.