Park Ji-Sung asks United fans to stop singing his chant

mancan92

It's hilarious in this thread people jumping in with "but but its not racist..........it's actually just xenophobic" like its somehow better or somehow ok.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
@The Boy @The Boy wherever you may be,
Showing up posters on Red-Cafe
But it could be worse, they could be scouse
Picking through RAWK in your Brighton house
Geebs, Geebs wherever you maybe
No racist poster's going to mess with me
They'd be better off being Scouse
Or crate training pups like @Solius

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The fact there are some fans trying to justify it when the man himself comes out to say he finds it offensive truly boggles the mind. Just grow up and find something else to chant about. Morons.
I can never get my head around people's refusal to listen to the 'victim' for want of a better word.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It is slightly different though because drinking tea isn't seen around the world as a horrible thing to do. And haggis is also different to dog meat because haggis tastes fecking disgusting.
It's more like if you heard a chant about how all English people have bad teeth or how everybody from Glasgow has a smack habit.

I bet we'd have an onion about that...

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Park actually explained it.it's used as a common insult towards asians in occidental countries, that's why Korean people are annoyed by it.
Ah ok I hadn’t read that…but of course if he is personally offended we should stop

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Never liked the chant, particularly as it says nothing positive about the player. It just uses a negative stereotype to take a shot at scousers. We can do better.

I don't think the "it's factual, they really do eat dogs" argument stops it from being offensive, as it is implicitly negative in the song, suggesting it is bad, but then there is something worse. There are many chants in football where the subject of the chant is factual, but they're still not acceptable. Munich, Hillsborough, etc. It would set a dangerous precedent if we allowed chants because they're 'true'.

You'd think the player himself requesting that we put the chant to bed would be the end of it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
This is getting silly. Koreans who eat dogs are in the minority, it is not widely practiced. Probably happens in poorer/rural areas. The fact is the song tells Park he eats dog because he is Korean. He has probably never eaten a dog in his life. He doesn't like the song so don't sing it.

I have lived in Korea and I never eaten dog or seen one on the menu.
I don’t think the ‘you’ is referring to him personally. Perhaps though that does make it a race issue, although it would be difficult to fit in ‘a small minority of generally poorer people….’ Into the verse. It’s more a statement of fact than a suggestion that he personally eats dog….at least that’s my interpretation.

Ive no issue with not singing it anyway, it’s offensive in any case, he doesn’t like it and better players than him stopped being sang about years ago.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Never liked the chant, particularly as it says nothing positive about the player. It just uses a negative stereotype to take a shot at scousers. We can do better.

I don't think the "it's factual, they really do eat dogs" argument stops it from being offensive, as it is implicitly negative in the song, suggesting it is bad, but then there is something worse. There are many chants in football where the subject of the chant is factual, but they're still not acceptable. Munich, Hillsborough, etc. It would set a dangerous precedent if we allowed chants because they're 'true'.

You'd think the player himself requesting that we put the chant to bed would be the end of it.
I'd hope that most people would realise there is a major difference between mocking the dead and mocking what someone eats - not on the same level at all

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It was sung on Saturday.

I don't think there is any malice from the fans. Just a chant of endearment towards Ji Sung. However, if he requests the fans stop we should respect his wishes.

PS: Could the word dogs be changed to something more edible?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
It was sung on Saturday.

I don't think there is any malice from the fans. Just a chant of endearment towards Ji Sung. However, if he requests the fans stop we should respect his wishes.

Kimchi

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Park Park wherever you may be,
Still got that 3rd lung, in your biology?
But it could be worse, you could be Jones
Drilling holes in your old knee bones

Mike Smalling

It was sung on Saturday.

Just BBQ?

Park, Park, wherever you may be
You barbecue in your home country
Could be worse, could be scouse
Roasting a rat in the council house

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd hope that most people would realise there is a major difference between mocking the dead and mocking what someone eats - not on the same level at all
They're not on the same level. But the fact that it's true doesn't always make a chant acceptable is the point. In this case, it's still not really acceptable to use a negative stereotype of an entire country, despite it still being true. It's a bit more deep rooted than just 'mocking what someone eats'.

Park requesting for it to stop should really be the end of it.

KingCavani

It should stop but it’s not even the most offensive part of the song.

Paranoid Android

Like I said I'll be yelled at.
Huh? He wasn't yelling at you, he was just explaining the issue to you so that you'd understand.

Sounds like you may be being wilfully ignorant and diminishing anything that doesn't agree with your viewpoint.

Dante

Average bang
I don't think it's a racist chant. It's just an uncomfortable truth about a long held tradition in Korean cuisine. Though outside of a Eurocentric bubble, there's not really anything worse about it than eating any other kind of meat. On the flip side, I'm sure there are Koreans who don't want to let go of practice. It doesn't hurt anyone any more than other meat industries. And it's something their ancestors have done for generations as a part of their culture.

But fair enough if Park wants United fans to stop. No point honouring a player if it ends up upsetting him.

Last edited:

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
It was sung on Saturday.

Unfortunately that’s not why it was sung though Sults. Correct me if I’m wrong but you don’t hear it that often these days unless we are playing a scouse team.

POF

It was sung on Saturday.

I don't think the reason the chant still gets a run out has anything to do with Park. The fans sang it on the weekend because Everton were the away team.

Park was a good honest player but he was nothing special. Nobody is going to invent a new chant for him because if his existing chant wasn't mocking the scousers nobody would ever sing it.

MiceOnMeth

It’s not a nice song and if we respect Park like we should we should respect his wishes and ensure it’s not sung again. I see their president is looking at banning the practice and it would be good if it could be encouraged in the right way.
Only banning it because being known as the country who eats dogs can't be great for bringing in the westerner tourism money.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I can never get my head around people's refusal to listen to the 'victim' for want of a better word.
Compounded by the fact it’s your own player you’re insulting and in Park case a cult figure who helped us to win trophies. Utter lack of respect.

Tarrou

Only banning it because being known as the country who eats dogs can't be great for bringing in the westerner tourism money.
don't think this is true

there are elections coming up and the majority of Koreans support a ban

Houdini

We should chenge it to:

Park, Park, wherever you may be,
you're the best in your country,
it could be worse
you could be Son
playing for that nearly club