Passing Behind The Man

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This is starting to drive me mental, there are so many times where a break or even just a general run of play is slowed enormously by a pass being placed a few yards behind where it should be.

I mean, seriously, this is something I got to grips with in under 11's matches, if your target man is moving you have to play it in front of him, not where he's stood. It's crazy that this is ever done wrong at this level, let alone with the frequency we seem to see it.

Fix it please, somebody.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This thread should have been titled "passing". We treated it as if it was something you have think 10 times about before actually doing it. It's like trying to be like Barcelona except the passes go nowhere apart from eventually to the wideman who tries to put a cross in.

roonaldo78

It was extremely frustrating, the likes of Nani, Evra and Rooney were the main culprits.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
So many times today, that Scholes pass to Valencia out wide near the end...Valencia needed to get the ball in flight and the pass was aimed and weighted for exactly where he was stood, for some reason that particular pass drove me crazy.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I wanted to start a similar thread so I agree with everything said in the OP.Even the most simple of passes if not executed correctly can destroy a team's build-up.
Too many out of sync passing by Rooney and Nani in particular

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
You know who would've worked a treat tonight? Hernandez. I know it's all well and good in hindsight, but his pace added to Kagawa's slips would've been interesting to see. Welbeck and Rooney didn't have the pace to slot those chances.

Jacob

I watched Rooney closely in the second half, the fat bastard was barely making runs.. He mainly walked two steps from his defender pointing towards his foot, indicating he wants a pass to his feet, only problem is that he couldn't handle the fecking thing he plays with hours a day for years on end.

032Devil

It was extremely frustrating, the likes of Nani, Evra and Rooney were the main culprits.
It doesn't just happen at the front, at the back the defenders pass to a midfielder who passes to a defender who strikes the ball across fielder to another defender who passes to a midfielder who passes back to another defender and so on and so forth until we lose the ball.

Annoy as hell.

NoLogo

Kagwa received so many bad passes today it was amazingly mind numbing.

Once I thought he would end up injured when he had to stretch like crazy to get his foot on the ball.

Hope this goes away in the next games when our team gets more used to playing with our new players.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I watched Rooney closely in the second half, the fat bastard was barely making runs.. He mainly walked two steps from his defender pointing towards his foot, indicating he wants a pass to his feet, only problem is that he couldn't handle the fecking thing he plays with hours a day for years on end.
:lol:

So unnecessary.

Lynk

Poor Shinji, he often was the only cnut to press out of the front players.

Cina

Log off for the night Jacob, please :lol:

RK

You know who would've worked a treat tonight? Hernandez. I know it's all well and good in hindsight, but his pace added to Kagawa's slips would've been interesting to see. Welbeck and Rooney didn't have the pace to slot those chances.
This is a good point, Hernandez is perfect for Kagawa.

Shame we'll hardly get to see them play together though.

Lynk

Added to that, Hernnadez scored twice in his last three appearances against Everton.

Leg-End

I hope it was just an off day, it was night and day from the stuff we saw at the start of last season. Honestly I think a lot of it comes down to players not getting enough games together in pre-season because of Olympics or Euro rest.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yep, terrible passing choices and terrible passing execution and terrible pass receiving. There was a point where Cleverly collected a reasonable pass quite close to the Everton box, could have stepped inside and lined a shot or a through ball up but opened his body to the left which slowed everything down and that was that for that attack. I like the end of that sentence.

togg

Early season issues. no biggie
I think it will be slightly a biggie if we lose to Fulham...but take your point...early season still.

However..all the interviews with the team before the season started stated things like "..we always react..." "...must hit the ground running..." "mustn't play catch up early in the season.."

well....it wasn't quite the reaction we wanted, running was not what a lot of the team did to be honest....and already, albeit 3 points and one game...we are playing a bit of catch up.

I think Phelan probably needs to burst a few more balloons on the training pitch....

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
the other thing is that we are so fecking predictable. Yesterday i knew what would be the sequence of passes, so did Everton players. Whenever we eventually placed the ball wide Everton had two players protecting the flank. Also - was it just me or our full backs didn't bother to make overlapping runs?

Also - we were passing the ball around the box, but apart from Nani nobody tried to shoot from 20-25 yards. I know it's hard and that the conversion ratio is low but do it 2-3 times and defenders will rush to block shots...thus leaving some space unprotected.

To sum up- we were slow and predictable in midfield.

Dion

Also - was it just me or our full backs didn't bother to make overlapping runs?
Evra made about 1400 of the bastards, just a succession of Welbeck, Rooney, Nani and Young failed to find him with any of them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Evra made about 1400 of the bastards, just a succession of Welbeck, Rooney, Nani and Young failed to find him with any of them.
I think there was an overhit pass at one point that went straight out for a goal kick. Fuming.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Do what the OP says. Some pressing from our attacking players would be nice too.

United10

Nani looked very frustrated and desperate all match long. His passes were terrible, his attitude was terrible and he didn't really add much of anything.
Kagawa looked good, but there was such a lack of any other quality in the attacking third. It seemed that they kept trying to go up the middle, got clogged with no real creativity and then sent it out wide for a poor, predictable cross into an everton head.

Vibhas

Nani has it in him to pass very well; he's one of our most complete footballers.

I hate it when people kneejerk and start questioning a players qualities over a single match.

It's like his passing has gone down from 90 to 50 in the new fifa update!

Is everyone forgetting 'that' pass to Rooney i think? He's a very skillful player and i think it was Valencia's pass across the pitch that was the one that went out.

When we play at home, the players will feel much more at home, and hopefully go on a storming winning streak.

Most of our players are good passers for their positions, but yes, I agree with the fact that it grinds when players don't pass it to the players run, and stop the run, unless its a purposeful through ball through the middle.

We have wingers, make their job easy, pass it into their run so they can beat their fullback merely with speed!

Drainy

This is Nani's biggest weakness as far as i can see. He cannot seem to pass a ball to a moving target even if its only 10 yards away.
yeah, somebody needs to buy him an arcade machine with Space Invaders on it so he can grasp the concept of trajectory when the target is moving.

United10

Perhaps I should've been a little more clear in my post. Nani is a very good footballer, I just think that sometimes he gets very jaded and pouts too much and this was happening throughout the match on Monday night.

Overall, I did enjoy seeing them doing more passing and controlling the ball, I was just very disappointed with their lack of any real creativity in attack.

Greck

Mike Smalling doing this repeatedly is why we never build from the back effectively

Lentwood

It’s mainly down to confidence in your ability to do things quickly. When your full of confidence you see the pass and you make it without hesitating - therefore playing it at the right moment for your teammate to receive it. When you are not playing with confidence you hesitate and think twice which inevitably means the pass is slightly behind your teammate who has made their move

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I still feel we haven't replaced Scholes or Carrick. When Eriksen picked up the ball you just knew it was going to be a good pass and not smashed into the player Valencia style.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So here we are, well over 7 years since this thread started, and still seeing countless examples every single goddamned game.

What the feck is going on where we’re talking about one of the biggest teams in the sport who can’t master one of the most basic elements of the game?

yipthatman

So here we are, well over 7 years since this thread started, and still seeing countless examples every single goddamned game.

What the feck is going on where we’re talking about one of the biggest teams in the sport who can’t master one of the most basic elements of the game?
I can't believe this. I thought it was a fresh thread from tonight then I started reading Rooney. Haha nothing changes if nothing changes hey?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

I saw the thread title. Immediately thought "this isn't new, it's been happening for a long time". Took a look at the OP - sure enough, 2012.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
This is starting to drive me mental, there are so many times where a break or even just a general run of play is slowed enormously by a pass being placed a few yards behind where it should be.

I mean, seriously, this is something I got to grips with in under 11's matches, if your target man is moving you have to play it in front of him, not where he's stood. It's crazy that this is ever done wrong at this level, let alone with the frequency we seem to see it.

Fix it please, somebody.
oh, can’t say mental any more. cancelled.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

It kills the momentum of attacks and we do it multiple times per game. As a result we pretty much always look disjointed. It’s abhorrently bad.