Pathetic fans booing Maguire

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Back when FDJ did this to Barcelona last season, I supported his decision to get paid the contract he signed. Can't be a hypocrite now.

MadMike

Booing is simply fans telling a player he's been shit and they're not happy with that. Good luck telling your boss he's insulting you when he tells you you're shit at your job and he's not happy with that.
Just terrible analogy all around imo.

First off, fans are not bosses. They are spectators and customers.
Secondly, they're not booing Maguire because he's playing badly, it's not based on his actual performance. They just pre-emptively boo him cause they don't like him and they've scapegoated him for United's troubles.
Thirdly, bosses are nowadays very diplomatic (thank god). They'll tell you you're not doing a good enough job, give you constructive feedback and inform you that you will miss promotions or bonuses (or appearances in the case of football). But they won't risk bullying or intimidation accusations by insulting you.

RedStarUnited

Back when FDJ did this to Barcelona last season, I supported his decision to get paid the contract he signed. Can't be a hypocrite now.
A bit different, with FDJ he had taken a pay cut to help the club the year before. e.g if Maguire gets 10m a year normally, last year we tell him we can only pay him 4m, a year later we want to sell him he has every right to request the 6m that he earned.

Maguire wants the money that he could earn in the next 2 years of his contract.

RuudTom83

A bit different, with FDJ he had taken a pay cut to help the club the year before. e.g if Maguire gets 10m a year normally, last year we tell him we can only pay him 4m, a year later we want to sell him he has every right to request the 6m that he earned.

Plus it was wages that FDJ had earned but were yet to be paid...I'm pretty sure Maguire has been paid his wages on time by United.

So yeah the Maguire/FDJ comparison is a bit of an odd one (unless I've missed something...which is highly likely)

Wilt

Also should the thread title be calling fans pathetic? Every fan is in their own right to boo a player as long as it doesnt cross over into insults etc.
Can‘t think of any Utd player who has received the type of abuse on here as Maguire.

Unbelievable abuse, including the moron who posted he wants him shot in the face!

Enigma_87

You know who

Secondly, they're not booing Maguire because he's playing badly, it's not based on his actual performance. They just pre-emptively boo him cause they don't like him and they've scapegoated him for United's troubles.
Thirdly, bosses are nowadays very diplomatic (thank god). They'll tell you you're not doing a good enough job, give you constructive feedback and inform you that you will miss promotions or bonuses (or appearances in the case of football). But they won't risk bullying or intimidation accusations by insulting you.
Tbh the right analogy is customer who is not happy with the service to boo the rep, and that’s quite common.

flameinthesun

Can‘t think of any Utd player who has received the type of abuse on here as Maguire.

Unbelievable abuse, including the moron who posted he wants him shot in the face!
Which is the point of my post......it should be okay to boo maguire.....but don't shout you wanna shoot him in the face....

Strelok

I never said booing is nice. It's not. But not an insult either. It's simply a way to tell a player he's being shit and the fans are not happy with him.

And imo him getting booed largely because he's been shit for the last two years. Nothing scapegoating here when last season he singlehandedly kicked us out of the Europa League. He didn't even play enough to be a scapegoat tbf.

Kellyiom

Its to soothe the ego of the fans who think they are better than others. Some are already suggesting that Maguire wont be booed at OT and these are foreign fans who do it. Completely ignoring the boos former players and Maguire himself received at OT
Former players? Like CR7 or are there others? Paul Ince maybe?

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

While not under contract for the club. Honestly the lack of understanding on contracts is amazing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I never said booing is nice. It's not. But not an insult either. It's simply a way to tell a player he's being shit and the fans are not happy with him.

And imo him getting booed largely because he's been shit for the last two years. Nothing scapegoating here when last season he singlehandedly kicked us out of the Europa League. He didn't even play enough to be a scapegoat tbf.
It was singlehanded though was it when De Gea was the biggest reason we went out.

Stadjer

Pogba got way more and way worse abuse on here than Maguire.

RedDevilQuebecois

Pogba got way more and way worse abuse on here than Maguire.
The matchgoers at Old Trafford also dished their share of abuse at Pogba, especially when he behaved like a cnut at the end. Maguire did not get such abuse in home matches yet, but it will definitely come.

m1tch

The public nature of the bids and agreed fee between us and West Ham is pretty disastrous for him going forward should he choose to remain with us. Whoever made that public (West Ham I guess?) has done him no favours there.

He's gonna get a noticeable increase in stick from the crowd now, I'd be shocked if he didn't. Maybe he thinks he can get passed that with performances, and hopefully he doesn't think a goal for England against San Marino is what it'll take.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Plus it was wages that FDJ had earned but were yet to be paid...I'm pretty sure Maguire has been paid his wages on time by United.

So yeah the Maguire/FDJ comparison is a bit of an odd one (unless I've missed something...which is highly likely)
Not really that odd. It's asking a player on a 2 two year contract paying 200k a week to accept the rumoured 120k. That's less money than he's due to earn. I want Maguire gone as much as the next man but him expecting a compensation for loss earnings isn't an unusual request, especially when he was happy to stay. It's the price we have to pay for giving out exorbitant contracts to mid players.

Bondi77

The same moron would shite his pants if he came face to face with Harry

RuudTom83

Not really that odd. It's asking a player on a 2 two year contract paying 200k a week to accept the rumoured 120k. That's less money than he's due to earn. I want Maguire gone as much as the next man but him expecting a compensation for loss earnings isn't an unusual request, especially when he was happy to stay. It's the price we have to pay for giving out exorbitant contracts to mid players.
So you think any player transferred between clubs, should be paid the remainder of their contract by the selling club before moving? (not hating, just asking)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Barca was being a dick about money though. We always pay players on time and we dont owe them anything.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Bit different as he had a genuine chance of breaking into the squad, it was his dream club and he was owed money from past seasons still that he chose to defer - Not future earnings.

It's quite clear here that Maguire isn't wanted, not good enough and while he can do whatever he wants it says a lot about the mans character that he either isn't bothered enough about playing or a bit light upstairs if he genuinely believes he can permanently displace Varane.

Bondi77

The public nature of the bids and agreed fee between us and West Ham is pretty disastrous for him going forward should he choose to remain with us. Whoever made that public (West Ham I guess?) has done him no favours there.

He's gonna get a noticeable increase in stick from the crowd now, I'd be shocked if he didn't. Maybe he thinks he can get passed that with performances, and hopefully he doesn't think a goal for England against San Marino is what it'll take.
If he has any sense he would have resigned himself to the fact that the people that are hurling the abuse are a sad bunch anyway.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
So you think any player transferred between clubs, should be paid the remainder of their contract by the selling club before moving? (not hating, just asking)
I think asking for the difference between the remainder of the contract, and what he would earn at his new club, is probably fairly normal. So in this case two years at 80k (200k-120k) would £8.3m ish, assuming the numbers are correct. Plus any loyalty fees he might be due as he hasn’t asked to leave.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Bit different as he had a genuine chance of breaking into the squad, it was his dream club and he was owed money from past seasons still that he chose to defer - Not future earnings.

It's quite clear here that Maguire isn't wanted, not good enough and while he can do whatever he wants it says a lot about the mans character that he either isn't bothered enough about playing or a bit light upstairs if he genuinely believes he can permanently displace Varane.
Although you say the ‘difference’ is what you describe above, I think that being honest the real difference is how each outcome would affect Utd.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Barca was being a dick about money though. We always pay players on time and we dont owe them anything.

I think asking for the difference between the remainder of the contract, and what he would earn at his new club, is probably fairly normal. So in this case two years at 80k (200k-120k) would £8.3m ish, assuming the numbers are correct. Plus any loyalty fees he might be due as he hasn’t asked to leave.
I don't understand why people don't get this. Like they would accept circa 40 percent pay cut to leave their current jobs in real life.:lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't understand why people don't get this. Like they would accept circa 40 percent pay off to leave their current jobs in real life.:lol:
You said you dont want Maguire to leave because it might seem hypocritical. Our point is, both are different situations so you arent comparing apple to apple.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
No I don't because most players move to earn the same or more than their current roles. If you're moving to earn 40% percent less, it's a different ball game. Honestly asking, would you accept this deal from your current job?

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
You said you dont want Maguire to leave because it might seem hypocritical. Our point is, both are different situations so you arent comparing apple to apple.
Nope, I absolutely want him to leave. I just don't think he deserves the hate he's getting for the compensation he's asking for.

Ted Lasso

The matchgoers at Old Trafford also dished their share of abuse at Pogba, especially when he behaved like a cnut at the end. Maguire did not get such abuse in home matches yet, but it will definitely come.
Think it's incredibly unfair to Maguire. He has been bad on the pitch but I can't recall anything negative said about the club. Pogba on the other hand returned to the club on the back of trashing Sir Alex and then continued to leak out nonsense against United culminating with that Pogmentary series. He severely disrespected United which Harry has not. Least to my knowledge

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Actually let's flip this, can you name a player that's willingly left a club to go play for less money elsewhere?

Leethal

A ton of irrational people here, who honestly, genuinely believe they would take a 40% pay cut to move to another job.

Like feck you would.

I want Maguire out just like the rest, but at the end of the day, he's contracted to the club - and a contract is agreed upon and signed mutually.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
No I don't because most players move to earn the same or more than their current roles. If you're moving to earn 40% percent less, it's a different ball game. Honestly asking, would you accept this deal from your current job?
I get why he doesn't want to move, but this situation still seems unusual. Can't think of a similar one off the top of my head? Or at least not one were the player is around peak age, if not form, rather than say 34 and going downhill.

RuudTom83

Personally salary isn't my number 1 priority...so I have moved jobs for less because I wanted to work on the project. Which might be clouding my judgment.

But in Maguire's case, who isn't being forced out of United (in my eyes) he has the option to stay and not play much football, or move and play a lot of football.

The third option of moving to West Ham and getting £7 million from United seems like a dream scenario to me haha.

I wonder when players in their 30's move clubs to prolong their careers are they all getting pays off from the clubs.

sdb4884

The guy is a complete idiot, hope he ends up rotting in the reserves, not being able to bring in another central defender because of this will hurt us.

Redlyn

I don't understand why people don't get this. Like they would accept circa 40 percent pay cut to leave their current jobs in real life.:lol:
I don't for one second believe he was requested to leave a lucrative contract which has years to run emtpy handed.
Also he has to accept some concession on the amount as he is reiceving it upfront without having to kick a ball. Whatever the case, if this compensation is why the deal broke down its just too poor by both parties to not be able to meet somewhere in the middle. He (hopefully) won't play a lot play and we are stuck with a player no one wants. Just rubbish.

Last edited: