Pathetic fans booing Maguire

glasgow 21

He's a player we spent way too much on who isn't good enough.

That's it.

He's not slagged the club off, he's not done anything despicable off the pitch. He's just a fairly mediocre player.

Absolutely ridiculous to be booing him. In a fecking friendly too.
He has his greek issue. Bar that, model professional who just doesn't fit what United needs. The best thing for all parties is a move. The booing earlier this morning was a disgrace and these fans really would have a word with themselves.

Terry Chango

People saying its ok to boo are the ones that don't get why a bit of racist slurs hurt anyone or taking the piss out of some kid at school. It's just a joke right? Banter. Having a laugh. They shouldn't be so touchy should they, especially if they earn so much.
Wow :lol: :lol: :lol:

manutddjw

Ok I think we can all agree that we want him gone. Not to mention it would be best for our club with our limited budget and for the player himself. The Maguire Out thread is evidence of what people think of him. He clearly wants to sit on his contract with the high wages. I don't see how booing him is any different from chanting We Want Glazers Out. The reason and rationale behind doing both is exactly the same.

And those popping off at those foreign fans. I guess it was those foreign fans who infiltrated Old Trafford and booed Nani, Fellaini, Rooney and Pogba.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Nonsense. Do you have a right to have a go at a homeless person because you feel its good for society? Get a fkn job! What about immigrants? Shout at the wait staff that fkd up your order? No. Its just your opinion. You are a civilized person. You dont go around just shouting at people. Sure you have the right to your own opinion but in the right place, right time and right forum. You dont have the right to just start shouting like a fkn barbarian because you don't like something
You comparisons are a little exaggerated.
Shouting at the stadium is one thing, shouting on the street, at the theater or at the library is completely different. Like you said, right place, right time. Football stadiums aren't ballet arenas.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You comparisons are a little exaggerated.
Shouting at the stadium is one thing, shouting on the street, at the theater or at the library is completely different. Like you said, right place, right time. Football stadiums aren't ballet arenas.
Actually a football stadium to a player is a place of work, in that respect it's no different to a theater or a library

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
His mistakes and generally poor play are only a part of the reason he gets stick. If he'd have shown a little humility over the years it would have gone a long way. To churn out some of those performances and then to cup your ears, blame the strikers, tells us you've nothing to prove...you're only making a rod for your own back. Even if you don't agree with the booing you have to acknowledge he owns a part of this too.
Agreed. He's been in terrible form since the Greek episode. Anyone claiming it's only because of the Sevilla game clearly must have been living on a remote island for the past two years.

He's comfortably the worst United Captain I've seen at the club in my lifetime. I wouldn't boo the guy but can understand if others would.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
I was there, sounded like a lot of the boos were coming from the Madrid side. It was very confusing as to why he was getting boo’d. He’s done absolutely nothing to deserve that.

Denis79

"Support" is in the job description for being a supporter.
Maguire certainly does not deserve to be booed but let's say a certain not to be named player returns I would boo him and call him names the whole match, every match I attend.

RedStarUnited

Genuine question: How do you show displeasure of a player/manager without resulting to booing? Or as a fan you are expected to just cheer on through the misery.

Like I said before, Im in the dont boo camp but if someone was to ask me what else can they do to let out their frustration, I wouldn't know. I hated it when OT clapped on Ole after we got smashed by our rivals and he was clearly not good enough

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Fans at these games in the States are a weird lot.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Times have changed. Hating is cool for this generation. Maguire won't be able to avoid it.

Kellyiom

Genuine question: How do you show displeasure of a player/manager without resulting to booing? Or as a fan you are expected to just cheer on through the misery.

Like I said before, Im in the dont boo camp but if someone was to ask me what else can they do to let out their frustration, I wouldn't know. I hated it when OT clapped on Ole after we got smashed by our rivals and he was clearly not good enough
I'd been thinking I might make a concerted effort to be silent and let that be my communication. Maybe that would create a bad atmosphere as well though so I wouldn't want that.
I believe that we should be a team that aims to win each game so Likewise should support all our players while they're selected for the club.
In the bigger scheme of things if we're trying to sell the player it makes sense that he's in as good shape as possible and performing well, it becomes a win:win for us then.

Having said that, I think Harry hasn't done himself many favours with the Greece thing and has seemed tone deaf to the voice of the fans with his ear cupping gesture but it's insane the amount of pressure he's had and I do wonder what support the club provides as we're getting a bit of a series of cases like this.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Agreed. He's been in terrible form since the Greek episode. Anyone claiming it's only because of the Sevilla game clearly must have been living on a remote island for the past two years.

He's comfortably the worst United Captain I've seen at the club in my lifetime. I wouldn't boo the guy but can understand if others would.
No he hasn't. The best form of his entire career was about six months after what happened in Greece. He only struggled badly for the first month or two after it. After that he had another couple of months where he was up and down like he was in his first season, but then he was arguably the best defender in the league in the second half of that season (probably second best if we're being exact).

It was the following season where it all fell apart and he was truly terrible most of the season, and then started his fourth season similarly. Improved a bit later in the season but still not good enough.

erikcred

Actually a football stadium to a player is a place of work, in that respect it's no different to a theater or a library
Not a good analogy. Librarians and stage actors do not even want fans cheering them while they're working.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports

You can boo a poor performance whether a player, manager or team, there's nothing wrong with that

Setting out before a game to boo is out of order IMO and that's what seems to be happening to Maguire

JediSith

I don’t agree with it. Although I don’t understand the outrage when it’s against Maguire, and lack of outrage or almost sympathy and understanding for the booing when it’s against Pogba or Fellaini at Old Trafford or United away fans in the premier league.

Not talking about people on here btw. But the media and pundit reaction. You’d expect some kind consistency.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Not a good analogy. Librarians and stage actors do not even want fans cheering them while they're working.
Those were the examples given that I was responding to, but you could apply that to any workplace

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He's an easy punchline for people who don't have a sense of humour beyond making references to what they've seen online.

It's the footballing equivalent of those people who quote Borat or Harry Enfield lines and think their hilarious. There was a fair bit of that in the matchday thread as well.
Bingo. You had it with lingard and Rashford too.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ok I think we can all agree that we want him gone. Not to mention it would be best for our club with our limited budget and for the player himself. The Maguire Out thread is evidence of what people think of him. He clearly wants to sit on his contract with the high wages. I don't see how booing him is any different from chanting We Want Glazers Out. The reason and rationale behind doing both is exactly the same.

And those popping off at those foreign fans. I guess it was those foreign fans who infiltrated Old Trafford and booed Nani, Fellaini, Rooney and Pogba.
Of course!! Just like this booing never happened either:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ted-fans-that-booed-team-off-against-valencia

Jericho

Makes no sense. As long as he's here we at least want him to do his best and booing him is only going to cause his head to drop along with his performance levels. I don't like him but it must be said, there aren't many better 4th choice CBs around.
Problem is even though he's 4th choice he's the wrong type of CB. If and when he's called upon it just fecks with what we're trying to do here. We'd be better off with a player that suits our style rather than a player that's good at things we don't prioritize.

UDontMessWith24

I don’t want to attribute this to a nationality but in this case what is likely a large American fan base: they read and see things online (like curious children do when they want to find out about something more) and they copy. This is happening with football a lot in the last decade or so with them. They’ve probably seen memes, videos of jokes that have been made this side of the pond and they copy the behaviour. it’s their way of trying to “fit in” with the banter. But their humour isn’t the same as ours especially - it just comes out wrong and slightly cringe. And booing your own player is just not the right way to go about fitting in, in anyones books.
I don't like that they booed him either but this is just condescending nonsense.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
"Fans" who are you to judge, top red I bet.
I’m happy to judge ‘fans’ that only attend the odd friendly and boo our players, just as they are happy to boo the players themselves.

Robbie Boy

Agreed.

Earth Wind and McGuire

Truly awful behaviour by some of our so called fans. We should never boo our own players as it just makes us look moronic.

The obvious exception being that if one of them decides to do an interview with Piers Morgan and talk crap about the club then boo that fecker with everything you have!

leeroyTX

Fans at these games in the States are a weird lot.
Maybe but they paid an absolute premium to be there for preseason friendlies, filling a 72,000 seat stadium. I live in Houston and didn't go to the game because $200 for upper deck tickets in NRG is outrageous and pointless. I'd just be watching the game on the very big screen anyway, so why not just watch comfortably from home? Most of the people there will never be able to see United or Real in an actual meaningful match. I was lucky to go to Manchester 2 years ago to see a game and was amazed at the atmosphere before, during, and after. It's so incredibly different than here.

I agree the booing is silly and not needed. I want Maguire gone as much as anyone and cringe anytime he's brought on. But you never get to see these guys in person so why waste the energy? But it's not uncommon for fans of teams here if they want some one gone or just don't approve of their presence.

Schweinsteiger

I don't like that they booed him either but this is just condescending nonsense.
No it’s not, everything I wrote is true. I welcome foreign fans supporting the club obviously but just do your own thing. Copying negative behaviour (because that’s what they are doing) is embarrassing.

UDontMessWith24

No it’s not, everything I wrote is true. I welcome foreign fans supporting the club obviously but just do your own thing. Copying negative behaviour (because that’s what they are doing) is embarrassing.
Thank you that's very gracious of you. So in your opinion, so ignorant are American fans that they could not form their own conclusion on Maguire not being good enough, and they're simply booing him on account of reading what the superior football connoisseurs in England are saying about him on social media and message boards? If that's not it, and you think American sports fans don't boo their own players, you're not only condescending but painfully uninformed.

AFC NimbleThumb

I don’t want to attribute this to a nationality but in this case what is likely a large American fan base: they read and see things online (like curious children do when they want to find out about something more) and they copy. This is happening with football a lot in the last decade or so with them. They’ve probably seen memes, videos of jokes that have been made this side of the pond and they copy the behaviour. it’s their way of trying to “fit in” with the banter. But their humour isn’t the same as ours especially - it just comes out wrong and slightly cringe. And booing your own player is just not the right way to go about fitting in, in anyones books.
Wasn’t he boo’d at an England game & domestic United game last season?

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've never heard a librarian saying they didn't want to be cheered. They might not even be aware that it's even on the cards.

leeroyTX

Thank you that's very gracious of you. So in your opinion, so ignorant are American fans that they could not form their own conclusion on Maguire not being good enough, and they're simply booing him on account of reading what the superior football connoisseurs in England are saying about him on social media and message boards? If that's not it, and you think American sports fans don't boo their own players, you're not only condescending but painfully uninformed.
Well said. It’s not the 1990’s where we only get a smattering of games and don’t have the ability to see the whole picture. We get every single game (seems like more than y’all do with some games moved to PPV). I don’t miss a game. I’ve seen just about every minute of Maguire as a Red. I wouldn’t have booed him personally, but I can’t blame anyone who has a strong reaction to him being on the field.

hobbers

What an idiotic brief from his people.

Truly deluded thinking he'll never be back at that level of club.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I can understand if a player is disruptive or drags the club through the mud, or does something twattish off the field. Or even booing the team if they serve up a load of garbage that is obviously beneath their capability.

Booing someone just because you don't think they're good enough is weird though. As if it is somehow going to make them turn better.

Tango80

He was, he gets booed regularly for England and United domestically so it's really got feck all to do with 'foreign' fans...
He gets more abuse than probably any player I can remember. It's actually a disgrace the abuse he gets. It goes way beyond what is ok.

Yes he comes out with this self promotion. Do I blame him? No. It's him puffing his chest out and saying he's above the abuse. But it obviously affects him. It would affect anybody.