Patrice Evra | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibs

feck Baines, if Pat needs a rest or is out, play Fabio.

Brightonian

Age is nowt but a number. Evra is invincible. Freakishly fit. Giggs-like. I think he's got another 3 years at the top in him. Maybe more.
Agree with this. Last season he was almost as good as ever, and that was playing nearly as much football as he did in his 'plays every game' years.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
It's an unpopular opinion but Baines would be an improvement over Evra. His crossing is significantly better and he would set RvP up with loads of chances. Anything over 15 million is too much though, and it seems a bit pointless to have both him and Evra in the same squad on 80k+ wages. I think if we don't sign a big name midfielder (which is looking very unlikely to happen now) such as Modric or Fab then we may well spend 18-20 million on this guy.

Brightonian

It's an unpopular opinion but Baines would be an improvement over Evra.
It's a wrong opinion. Baines is a superb crosser, but with Evra back on form last season they were equals defensively, and Evra is a brilliant dribbler of the ball, as good as any of our wingers except a top-form Nani. That's something Baines doesn't have in his locker. And Evra added goals last season too. Plus just watching him he's a higher calibre of player.

Evra is almost as good as he has ever been at the moment, back up there with the top few left backs in the world. Baines is great, and his crossing/free kick taking is indeed a great asset, but he's not the better player.

S.A.N.F

Agree with this. Last season he was almost as good as ever, and that was playing nearly as much football as he did in his 'plays every game' years.
Are you kidding me? One of the things that stick in my head about last season is Evra casually dropping back and us conceding a goal whilst the likes of Cleverley and Carrick try to cover for his ass.

Brightonian

Are you kidding me? One of the things that stick in my head about last season is Evra casually dropping back and us conceding a goal whilst the likes of Cleverley and Carrick try to cover for his ass.
You're thinking of the season before last. Last season he was much better on that front. Obviously there was the odd goal, but that's the same with any attacking full-back. Rafael was caught out a few times too.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It's a wrong opinion. Baines is a superb crosser, but with Evra back on form last season they were equals defensively, and Evra is a brilliant dribbler of the ball, as good as any of our wingers except a top-form Nani. That's something Baines doesn't have in his locker. And Evra added goals last season too. Plus just watching him he's a higher calibre of player.

Evra is almost as good as he has ever been at the moment, back up there with the top few left backs in the world. Baines is great, and his crossing/free kick taking is indeed a great asset, but he's not the better player.
Had a great game the other day but he was nowhere near his best last season. He was still very good and I would not take Baines over him, but I think time and those 2 anomalous seasons have eroded the memory of how great Evra actually was. Consistent 8 and 9 out of 10 performances. That first half of 09/10...I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything like that from another full back. 2009 in general, actually; that was some way ahead of anything even Cole has ever produced.

acnumber9

Cleverley? No you've definitely imagined that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The problem with Baines is that he's pretty old and would command high wages plus a £16m plus fee. I think we should look at a youngish prospect, but I'd struggle to name one.

Luke Shaw

Shark

@NotShark
Had a great game the other day but he was nowhere near his best last season. He was still very good and I would not take Baines over him, but I think time and those 2 anomalous seasons have eroded the memory of how great Evra actually was. Consistent 8 and 9 out of 10 performances. That first half of 09/10...I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything like that from another full back. 2009 in general, actually; that was some way ahead of anything even Cole has ever produced.
I wouldn't say it was some way ahead of anything Cole produced, but I agree, he was at performing at an even higher level than he was last season. We've been very lucky to have him. His mentality and playing style has always gone hand in hand with United, brilliant player.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's an unpopular opinion but Baines would be an improvement over Evra. His crossing is significantly better and he would set RvP up with loads of chances. Anything over 15 million is too much though, and it seems a bit pointless to have both him and Evra in the same squad on 80k+ wages. I think if we don't sign a big name midfielder (which is looking very unlikely to happen now) such as Modric or Fab then we may well spend 18-20 million on this guy.
Baines is markidly better at crossing and set pieces, and a marginally better defender. Evra is a far better passer of the ball, his link-up play is superior and he's the better dribbler too. He's also far better in the air then Baines.

So you have plus and minuses to both... ultimately, there isn't that much between them - not enough to warrant bringing Baines in anyway. Plus, you also have to consider that Evra is a) our vice-captain, b) very popular in the dressing room and c) has been a Manchester United player for something like 7 years now - ultimately, when you factor those in it would be remiss (and pointless) to not stick with Evra.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not sure what the point of signing Baines would be, good player that he is. Too old for much of a long term signing, especially with the fees being thrown around, especially considering its' debtable whether he is even a upgrade on what we already have - & I'm everyone would like to give Fabio a run out at LB - though Fabio can be shifted as cover for Rafael just as easily.

I'd have assumed Coentrao might have been a good option to look at as well, but it seems we're not interested.

KingEric7

I wouldn't say it was some way ahead of anything Cole produced, but I agree, he was at performing at an even higher level than he was last season. We've been very lucky to have him. His mentality and playing style has always gone hand in hand with United, brilliant player.

He was at least matching him defensively and a lot more influential in the build up and our overall play than Cole has been for either Chelsea or Arsenal in my opinion. Take Evra out of our team and the entire style of play would've changed enormously. At times he was our main creative outlet, it was bizarre. Said it before on here but I think if his stats were better in terms of goals/assists he'd be seen by many as one of the best full backs ever.

This probably depends on how much you interpret 'some way' to mean. I mean it in the sense of 'significantly' and 'clearly' - there was a clear distance between the two in my opinion, that is to say. Cole has never put in consistently amazing performances like Evra has done, as he good he is.

Revan

Assumptionman
He was at least matching him defensively and a lot more influential in the build up and our overall play than Cole has been for either Chelsea or Arsenal in my opinion. Take Evra out of our team and the entire style of play would've changed enormously. At times he was our main creative outlet, it was bizarre. Said it before on here but I think if his stats were better in terms of goals/assists he'd be seen by many as one of the best full backs ever.

This probably depends on how much you interpret 'some way' to mean. I mean it in the sense of 'significantly' and 'clearly' - there was a clear distance between the two in my opinion, that is to say. Cole has never put in consistently amazing performances like Evra has done, as he good he is.
Agree. He was clearly better than Cole on 2007-2009. I don't think that the assist stats were that much different from them, despite Cole having a beast playing upfront while United never had a striker who was that good in air. I think (speculation) that if Drogba played for us, Evra would have made a lot more assists than he did.

CantonaVeron

Looking back to this time last year I would have supported a move for Baines but after the last season when Evra was one of our better players I don't see the need to spend big money on a replacement that would not really be much if any upgrade on Evra. One strange thing to me was the signing of Buttner I think he was not needed. It would have been much better to allow fabio to stay last year and fill in when needed.

KingEric7

Agree. He was clearly better than Cole on 2007-2009. I don't think that the assist stats were that much different from them, despite Cole having a beast playing upfront while United never had a striker who was that good in air. I think (speculation) that if Drogba played for us, Evra would have made a lot more assists than he did.

Yep, no doubt in my mind. Aside from the madness he contributed going forward, you know you're a good defender when Messi puts you in his world XI... :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don't get the logic of all this bring Baines to compete with Evra.

You don't want to rotate defenders too much, or it disrupts things.

You just need someone to step in for Evra to give hima rest every so often. BUttner or Fabio cando that, as it'll be in the lesser games.

Yes, evra might get injured, but so might anyone.It's a game of risk.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Paddy was sensational again today, his attacking has always been decent, but defensively he was solid as a rock, and never slept once today. Usually he will let his runner go atleast once, but he didnt even do that.

When he is in this kind of form there is no better leftback around.

Mersault

"I always say the biggest opponent for Manchester United is Manchester United."

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The only possible reason I can see for us wanting Baines is that Evra would prefer to leave but has agreed to stay until we get a replacement in. Sounds weird but we can't have both of them, they're too good not to be starting. Evra wanted to leave once before and Fergie convinced him to stay.

Ash_G

The only possible reason I can see for us wanting Baines is that Evra would prefer to leave but has agreed to stay until we get a replacement in. Sounds weird but we can't have both of them, they're too good not to be starting. Evra wanted to leave once before and Fergie convinced him to stay.
Could be, would be very odd to have both if them especially in a World Cup year. I don't think evra does want to go though which makes it weird.

Jacob

Didn't realize Baines (28) is 4 years younger than Evra (32). Evra's re-sale value is quickly diminishing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
From what Evra has been saying and from how motivated he's been looking on the pitch - he doesn't look like a bloke that wants to leave.

After the last two games, I absolutely do no want Baines replacing Evra.... because frankly, I think Evra offers us more as a footballer.

Rossa

From what Evra has been saying and from how motivated he's been looking on the pitch - he doesn't look like a bloke that wants to leave.

After the last two games, I absolutely do no want Baines replacing Evra.... because frankly, I think Evra offers us more as a footballer.

This!

It has been my argument all the time. An in-form Evra is better than an in-form Baines, imo.

Jacob

It will be a sad day for team atmosphere when Evra leaves in a season or two.

LR7

This is exactly why the Baines bid makes little to no sense.
I wonder if there is a temptation to play one on the wing? I just don't get it.

twitter thread suggester
I don't get it either.
The only reason to go for Baines is if Evra wants out. Got to say, if Moyes brings in Baines, and Evra stays, then I'd class that as Moyes first big mistake.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep, having both Evra and Baines (and Fabio) looks a bit stupid to me. I wouldn't be against signing Baines but only if Evra wants to leave, and even then we should do everything in our power to convince Evra to stay for a year or two until Fabio becomes capable of starting.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Yep, having both Evra and Baines (and Fabio) looks a bit stupid to me. I wouldn't be against signing Baines but only if Evra wants to leave, and even then we should do everything in our power to convince Evra to stay for a year or two until Fabio becomes capable of starting.

Fabio is 23. He should be capable of starting now.

That said we could just let Fabio and rafael fight it out for rb.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah but Fabio's development has been hampered by injuries and that shit loan to QPR. I'd be quite happy if for the next two years he was an understudy to Evra and slowly replaced him, he's a very talented fullback but not yet at Evra's level.

Also, I don't want Baines here and I'm glad the bid was rejected. Evra looks well up for it and seems to have a really good understanding with RvP for end product. Physically he's still a beast. Baines is better at set pieces of course, but that's it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Fabio is 23. He should be capable of starting now.

That said we could just let Fabio and rafael fight it out for rb.
He is 23 but he hasn't played that much. I would be happy if we give him 20-30 (as both a LB and RB) games this season and see how he develops. If he does well than we can promote him as our No.1 left back next season and leave Evra to go in France if he wants, or to leave them compete for that position. As much as I like him, it would be a very dangerous decision leaving Evra to go and not signing another left back, cause we still don't know if Fabio is ready yet, and more importantly if he has passed his injuries. So the best decision for me is having both Evra and Fabio this season, signing Baines would be the end of Fabio IMO. And I think that Fabio can become a better player than Baines.

ricky-romeo

Moyes has him crossing from deep ala Baines.

he does cross early in the last 2 games (wigan and swansea) . in the past he would try to dribble and got to the byline before crossing, by then the chance would be gone.

now he just crosses the ball whenever he is in a good position with time and space. a positive move. not sure whether moyes asked him to do so but it seems to benefit us already.

Status
Not open for further replies.