Patrice Evra | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
I'm hearing rumours that evra could be part of the deal for ronaldo too.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
well if contraou or however you spell his name is sold as part as the bale fee, then it might make more sense

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
he does cross early in the last 2 games (wigan and swansea) . in the past he would try to dribble and got to the byline before crossing, by then the chance would be gone.

now he just crosses the ball whenever he is in a good position with time and space. a positive move. not sure whether moyes asked him to do so but it seems to benefit us already.
His assist for van Persie's first goal for us suggests it has little to do with Moyes. His crossing was much improved last year

wonnie

He has looked like carrying off where he left off last season - a sharp improvement from his slump between 10-12. Really think the signing of Buttner made him sit up and take notice a bit, giving him rest as well when needed. Absolutely needs to say, I don't see why Moyes is after Baines at all. Set pieces maybe, but RvP is just as good at them as Baines is.

wonnie

he does cross early in the last 2 games (wigan and swansea) . in the past he would try to dribble and got to the byline before crossing, by then the chance would be gone.

now he just crosses the ball whenever he is in a good position with time and space. a positive move. not sure whether moyes asked him to do so but it seems to benefit us already.
I think its too early to conclude that. It's only two games, could be purely coincidental - need to give it a few more games to see whether the same scenario materialises, and then you would have a point.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
United buy Baines, Fellaini and Ronaldo

RM but Evra and Bale

Tottenham buy Contraeo and a happy bank manager :drool:

I could get down with that. Sorry Patrice, as much as I love you that would be a sweet summer for us. 3 players in, one player out and a deficit of about some 80 million.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
United buy Baines, Fellaini and Ronaldo

RM but Evra and Bale

Tottenham buy Contraeo and a happy bank manager :drool:
I do love the romanticism, that even after a fairly appalling transfer window, people just casually throw the perfect signing in amongst the Everton 2 who most of us see as Plan C!

Rossa

His defending yesterday was terrific. I thought he would struggle against a very quick Schürrle, but not only did he match him for pace, he blocked pretty much anything that came his way as well as won a few headers against Ivanovic! He also spurred our attack down the left side on multiple occasions. Seems to me that Paddy has returned as sharp as ever. He is simply twice the defender with Vidic by his side as they seem to have a great understanding.

kps88

Think the most obvious change Moyes has made to our style of play so far is telling Evra to cross the ball early.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
His defending yesterday was terrific. I thought he would struggle against a very quick Schürrle, but not only did he match him for pace, he blocked pretty much anything that came his way as well as won a few headers against Ivanovic! He also spurred our attack down the left side on multiple occasions. Seems to me that Paddy has returned as sharp as ever. He is simply twice the defender with Vidic by his side as they seem to have a great understanding.
I disagree, I thought he was ok. Several times badly out of position

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He's always been an excellent 1-on-1 defender, and in the air. His positioning was the main issue, and it has improved slightly.

His early crossing is also a good alternative to getting to the by-line every time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I disagree, I thought he was ok. Several times badly out of position
I think you're seeing what you want to see there... the only times he was out of position is when we gave the ball away cheaply when attacking, and in those situations he generally ran back into position quite well.

On the whole - from a defensive standpoint - our back four were pretty much flawless last night.

Cina

It does make me wonder why Moyes wants Baines so much. Obviously Evra isn't quite what he used to be but he's still good and left back is far from being a problem area for us.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It does make me wonder why Moyes wants Baines so much. Obviously Evra isn't quite what he used to be but he's still good and left back is far from being a problem area for us.
This.

NinjaFletch

He almost made a very costly blunder when he was caught badly out of posistion only to be let off the hook by Schurrle being marginally offside (and slamming his shot in to the crossbar). Only real error I can remeber, though.

Rossa

Spot on, mate. He isn't what he used to be in terms of pace. He's still quicker than most though, and I was surprised at how fast he looked yesterday - he kept up with Schürrle very well. His defending is a bit more erratic than at his very best, especially his sliding tackles, but I still think he's better there than Baines. Evra's crossing seems improved too. He's also brilliant in the air, so I agree that there should be no real need for Baines. I'd rather we bought Shaw!

Would you rate Baines higher than Evra?

Cina

Spot on, mate. He isn't what he used to be in terms of pace. He's still quicker than most though, and I was surprised at how fast he looked yesterday - he kept up with Schürrle very well. His defending is a bit more erratic than at his very best, especially his sliding tackles, but I still think he's better there than Baines. Evra's crossing seems improved too. He's also brilliant in the air, so I agree that there should be no real need for Baines. I'd rather we bought Shaw!

Would you rate Baines higher than Evra?
he's not as good as Evra was at the same age but right now he's better. Not worth spending £15m on though.

Aint gota Kalou

Yeah it looks like Evras been told to try and get the ball into the box earlier this season. Obviously Baines' game is a lot more suited to this but I think Evra is doing more than well enough so far.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was thinking... I hope our rather public pursuit of a left-back... right up until the end of the deadline (though Contrao would probably have been a back-up? maybe?) doesn't effect our Paddy. He's made a very good start to this season - and was one of the few to come out of the Liverpool game with some credit.

I think his clear love of the club, and professionalism (he's not in a French shirt afterall) will mean that nothing changes, but yeah... can't have been great for the bloke.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If anything all the public talk about another LB has made him step up his performances back to the Evra of old.

Against Swansea, Liverpool and Chelsea he has been absolutely solid at the back, and been great going forward.

With Rafael missing we have really relied on his ability to overlap.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think Evra's the sort that would just see it as competition and he'd work his sack off to make sure he's first choice.

Fabio however....

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We don't really know what the situation is with Fabio. If he's anything like his brother, then I'm sure he'll take every chance he can get. I don't think he's going to just ride the wave of being a sub. I'm sure he's eager to start, but Evra is undroppable at the best of times.

Rossa

Evra was class last night, handled Schurrle easily.

I was dreading that encounter as I read reports saying that Schürrle was the fastest player in the Bündersliga last year (which I think must be errouneous), and Evra has struggled a bit in later years with really quick players, but he matched him very well - even raced past him a couple of times. He's arguably been our best player this season (along with Vidic and Rio who have also been outstanding).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I was dreading that encounter as I read reports saying that Schürrle was the fastest player in the Bündersliga last year (which I think must be errouneous), and Evra has struggled a bit in later years with really quick players, but he matched him very well - even raced past him a couple of times. He's arguably been our best player this season (along with Vidic and Rio who have also been outstanding).
I personally feel Patrice has been comfortably the best player at United over the last month and I remain baffled by Moyes' determination to buy a top class left back. Patrice may be aging but he's not so long in the tooth or out of form that he needs to significantly cut down on the amount of games he plays.

Rossa

I personally feel Patrice has been comfortably the best player at United over the last month and I remain baffled by Moyes' determination to buy a top class left back. Patrice may be aging but he's not so long in the tooth or out of form that he needs to significantly cut down on the amount of games he plays.

I second that - I never saw the need for Baines with Evra regaining his levels from a couple of years back. He's been brilliant hus far and long may it continue!

LR7

Speech from Patrice Evra inspires France to win and cements his standing within squad
Frank Ribery has told the media that it was Manchester United defender Patirce Evra who inspired the French nationalteam to a much needed win last night. The French were losing 1-0 at half time but Ribery has revealed that the team were motivated by Evra’s comments.
Le10 Sport reported on the comments the Bayern Munich star said to the press after their 4-2 victory over Belarus. The midfielder said the victory was for everyone and it was a good one. He thought the game was strange but he said it was the speech of the Manchester United player that helped the team to victory. Evra stood up in front of the French team and told them they basically needed to relax and play there football.
“This is especially the victory for everyone. It was a weird game, but we had a speech by Patrice Evra who was good at halftime. You have to play freely and have fun,” said Ribery after the game last night.
After Paul Pogba scored his goal, he ran to his former Manchester United team mate and Evra's influence on the team is a real change in fortunes.
Evra’s role last night is in stark contrast to the one he played in South Africa during the 2010 World Cup. The full back was the captain at the time and he led a protest against the manager. The players refused to train due to Nicolas Ankela being dismissed from the squad. Evra was stripped of the captain role after his involvement in the revolt and was banned for five matches by the French FA.
France’s win last night has assured that they will go into the play offs for next year’s World Cup in Brazil. The 1998 winners have been on a poor run of results which brought a lot of criticism in France. Up until last night the French side had failed to score in their last five games and so there had been calls for changes for the Belarus game. Most of the criticism was base around the forwards and especially Real Madrid's Karim Benezma. Leading up to last night's match Benezma himself hadn't scored for the national team for 1217 minutes and was dropped for last night’s game.

Manchester Untied's Patrice Evra may have not got on the pitch last night but he certainly helped the team to victory. Gael Clichy started the match and had something of a nightmare according to the French press. http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...evra-inspires-france-to-win-and-cements-his-s

kps88

Great to hear that. I think his character and influence off the pitch are the reasons why SAF stuck with him even when his form dipped.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Gael Clichy starts ahead of him? Okay then...

Anyway, he's a fecking hero is our Pat.
Well he wasn't great in the previous match vs Georgia but at the same time Clichy was average last night too ...
Evra has never been appreciated in France for the reasons he's loved at Utd, his winning mentality and the fact that he speaks his mind.
The funny thing with the french national team, the guys who embarrassed themselves in the 2010 WC and who have been pointed at and criticized like never before have done well recently (Ribery, Evra and Abidal). Even Nasri who also destroyed in 2012 during the Euro did well last night, Toulalan (another culprit of 2010) could have been called up too if he didn't he wasn't interested in playing for France.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Well he wasn't great in the previous match vs Georgia but at the same time Clichy was average last night too ...
Evra has never been appreciated in France for the reasons he's loved at Utd, his winning mentality and the fact that he speaks his mind.
The funny thing with the french national team, the guys who embarrassed themselves in the 2010 WC and who have been pointed at and criticized like never before have done well recently (Ribery, Evra and Abidal). Even Nasri who also destroyed in 2012 during the Euro did well last night, Toulalan (another culprit of 2010) could have been called up too if he didn't he wasn't interested in playing for France.
It's crazy the hate over here there is for Patrice Evra. There's quite a few reasons I suppose:
- the French generally love Arsenal, because of Wenger and the fact loads of prominent French players have played there, and Evra's comments about "men vs. children", which were harsh at the time but completely true, were very criticized as being too arrogant (which also was fair I guess);
- his role in 2010;
- the fact that despite him being excellent at (most) times with us, he's never been THAT good with France, and often been quite poor. I've never felt he had the same motivation with a blue shirt on his shoulders as he does with the red one, which has caused a bit of frustration with France supporters.

CapeTownRed

It's crazy the hate over here there is for Patrice Evra. There's quite a few reasons I suppose:
- the French generally love Arsenal, because of Wenger and the fact loads of prominent French players have played there, and Evra's comments about "men vs. children", which were harsh at the time but completely true, were very criticized as being too arrogant (which also was fair I guess);
- his role in 2010;
- the fact that despite him being excellent at (most) times with us, he's never been THAT good with France, and often been quite poor. I've never felt he had the same motivation with a blue shirt on his shoulders as he does with the red one, which has caused a bit of frustration with France supporters.
Hint of irony there...

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Guess things are going to be changing. Ribery said an Evra speech at half time made the difference and inspired them to go out and win:

“This is especially the victory for everyone. It was a weird game, but we had a speech by Patrice Evra who was good at halftime. You have to play freely and have fun.”
Pogba ran to Evra after he scored his goal too

Status
Not open for further replies.