Patrice Evra | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Watching the game and thinking to myself... how can you leave so much space?

The team is too high up. Evra concedes space down his side, in order to mark centrally, with Kagawa not too bothered about his side. Move progresses... 3 v 3, but Vidic makes a fantastic interception.
I was in the north-west part of the ground where the first corner was conceded (which was probably when those shots are taken) and I immediately said "Where the hell was Evra?" and then saw him coming from a central position past Vidic as the Germans were setting-up for the corner - whatever he'd been doing before that, Vidic didn't seem impressed with him.

Q80

Kagawa should not be played on the wing

Bring back Nani, he provides decent cover for Evra, and play Kagawa in his favoured number 10 position.

Id try that in a cup game and see how we get on if we dont wanna tinker in the league.

blitz133w

It's very common for Evra to wander infield and take position centrally while vidic goes to cover the LB spot. It slows the attacker down while Evra jogs back to take up Vidic's position. They are doing this since Evra's form dipped 2-3 years ago. We have ample defensive cover in Rio and Vidic and even the RB covering the central areas. It's not the best method but it's probably the only alternative. I think a still image from random moments of the match might not do justice to Evra. The same can be done for every single player on the pitch and make any player look defensively suspect. We don't realize the reason why he chose to move away from his position from a picture. I don't say his positioning is perfect, but if he could sprint back at the same speed as he attacks for 40 games a season playing 90 minutes at the age of 32, he would be the best LB in history of football.

He's been getting some unnecessary stick IMO. As long as he doesn't get hacked to pieces by wingers and blocks crosses, that's enough for me.

LR7

Patrice Evra's resurgence makes him hard to ignore

Patrice Evra's first appearance in English football was in a derby at Manchester City, and it proved a baptism by fire.

Surprisingly named in the Manchester United side just four days after signing, he endured a horrendous afternoon at Eastlands, as City ran out 3-1 victors. The first goal, scored by Trevor Sinclair, originated from a right-wing cross. Evra wasn't responsible for the concession, but his positioning was odd -- dragged out from the back four, he made no attempt to get back into defence. At this point, he was still convinced his future was on the left of midfield.

In 2006, Evra was exposed as United's weak link in this fixture. A couple of years ago, his disappointing form meant he was approaching that status again. In 2013, though, he's re-established himself as one of United's best players -- and don't bet against another crucial assist Sunday. Things got worse. Sinclair easily outjumped Evra to a long ball, flicking it on for Darius Vassell to double Manchester City's lead. Evra wasn't culpable for City's other goal -- because he was no longer on the pitch, hauled off at halftime.

Alex Ferguson must take some responsibility for his curious selection decision that afternoon in 2006. He admitted after the game that it was "a gamble" to thrust Evra straight into the action, and there was no good reason to break up the back four (Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Wes Brown and Mikael Silvestre) that had kept a clean sheet at Arsenal the previous weekend. Oddly, in selecting Evra at left-back, Ferguson also convinced himself to disrupt the centre-back partnership, picking Silvestre over Brown because the former spoke French and therefore could guide Evra through the game.

But Evra played poorly, and Ferguson let him know. "I could tell he was angry," Evra said. "He just looked at me, deadly serious, and said, 'Mr. Evra, now just watch and see what is English football. And learn.'"

To Evra's credit, he did. Just a couple of years later, he was regarded as the world's best left-back as United won the European Cup in 2008.

Since then, Evra's career has been rather eventful. There was the altercation with a Chelsea groundsman at the start of 2008-09, his role as France captain during their embarrassing World Cup 2010 campaign and the fallout from the Luis Suarez incident in 2011-12. This period coincided with a sharp fall in Evra's form.

But if there's one thing you must never do when discussing Manchester United players, it is to consider them "past it." Paul Scholes' career once seemed to have ended prematurely because of tactical and health concerns; he reinvented himself and came back stronger. Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic's declining pace means they should surely have been replaced by now, but they've started the campaign as United's first choice at the back. Ryan Giggs, meanwhile, has seemed one year away from retirement for about six years.

His resurgence won't be appreciated to such an extent, but Evra's performance over the past calendar year has been truly exceptional. During that period, probably only Michael Carrick and Robin van Persie have been so guaranteed of their place in the United side. David De Gea has been rotated out, Vidic was omitted for the game at the Bernabeu last year, Wayne Rooney missed the return leg, and Ferdinand needs to be rested every few weeks.

Evra has beaten off the challenge of Alexander Buttner, signed last season from Vitesse Arnhem. It was a peculiar signing. Buttner wasn't particularly highly regarded in Holland and is yet to win a Dutch international cap despite the Netherlands looking for alternatives in that position since Giovanni van Bronckhorst's retirement in 2010.

Buttner has played only five Premier League games since signing, scoring two goals. Evra continues to be United's first-choice left-back and has started 146 of United's last 156 Premier League games. His defensive work has improved, and his attacking remains consistent. Last season, he managed to score four league goals -- double his previous United tally combined -- discovering a knack of heading in from set pieces.

Strangely, David Moyes still seemed reluctant to depend upon Evra. His desire to bring in two old favourites, Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines, was an obvious sign that Evra wasn't trusted. United would have had to pay at least £15 million for Baines, 29 in December, so he would surely have become first-choice. Focusing upon, and completing, the Fellaini signing made sense -- but then, on deadline day, United were desperate to sign another left-back, Fabio Coentrao. "I just felt we needed to make sure we had good cover for Patrice," Moyes insisted last week. It's difficult to believe Moyes was targeting a backup.

Failure to land either Baines or Coentrao has been a blessing in disguise, because Evra has been one of Manchester United's standout performers this season. He created the first goal of the Moyes reign with a pinpoint left-wing cross for van Persie in the 2-0 Community Shield victory over Wigan and produced two almost identical chances for the Dutchman the following weekend against Swansea.

It's the type of goal Baines used to provide for Tim Cahill and Fellaini at Everton and demonstrates that Evra is more than capable of playing that role. Evra used to charge forward in possession or overlap speedily to allow the left-sided midfielder to move infield. Now he seems to hang back slightly, advancing into space when the ball is in the opposite side then waiting for a lateral pass before crossing. In a sense, he's playing the Baines role.

Baines, for all his quality, might actually be in the ideal side at Everton. The statistics involving chance creation make the Everton left-back look tremendous, but they can be misleading. He's created 10 chances for teammates this season, but half of them have been from set-piece situations. In open play, he's created only five chances, whereas Evra has managed seven in the league alone. He recorded his first assist of the campaign Wednesday night, with an accurate cross for Rooney's volleyed opener against Leverkusen.

It's testament to Evra's good form that Manuel Pellegrini will be nervously pondering his options on the right of midfield ahead of Sunday's derby. Naturally, he would like to include Jesus Navas to attack down the outside or perhaps Samir Nasri to drift inside and help City dominate possession. But given Evra's status as United's joint-most creative player alongside Rooney so far this season, can Pellegrini afford not to use James Milner, tracking Evra up and down the line? http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/1857?cc=5739
Quite incredible actually that he has started 146 of our last 156 PL games. No wonder his standard occasionally dips at times because hes been overused for several seasons, but imo still has a very high standard of play overall.

Also a point that I made in the summer when we were chasing Baines. Baines taking all of Evertons set pieces inflates his chance creation stats significantly since Evra takes none of ours. Take the set piece chances away and Evra has created two more goal-scoring chances for his team mates this season from open play in the PL. Not bad.

thepolice123

Its not just chance creation. Evra's ability to bring the ball out from defence is very crucial to our play as well. He can cut infield or he can hug the touchline. For the past decade he has been one of the most complete attacking leftback and we are very lucky to have him.

NinjaFletch

Surprised this thread hasn't been bumped.

Didn't think he was awful today but Navas brutally exposed his not being arsed to defend trait. No where to be seen for City's fourth.

Rossa

Surprised this thread hasn't been bumped.

Didn't think he was awful today but Navas brutally exposed his not being arsed to defend trait. No where to be seen for City's fourth.
Was that the one where Young lost the ball in attack and Evra was ahead of pretty much all the united players up on the left wing. You don't think someone else should cover? Fellaini tried but wasn't fast enough.

Thought Evra was one of the few who looked arsed out there

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is still excellent player obviously, but most of our wingers have more will to track back than him.

Devil may care

His heart was at least in it today, and I feel he looks more dangerous down the left than our actual left winger most of the time.

Rossa

His heart was at least in it today, and I feel he looks more dangerous down the left than our actual left winger most of the time.

Exactly, so why does it matter if the left winger has to track back when Evra contributes in attack? When Evra is further up the pitch than Young, it is only natural that Young tracks back. A silly argument that.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
His heart was in it? He was probably the worst player on the pitch, and he had plenty of competition.
Agree with you. It's all good and well saying that he was good in attack etc but at the end o the day his main job is defending and his side was majorly exposed today which cost a lot of chances. He was casually strolling back today instead of busting a gut to get back.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't know where to post this, so I'll post it in both Evra and Young thread:

Look at their average positions. :eek:

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
My main concern with Evra is that his arrogance could potentially impact on his game. I don't mind a confident or cocky player. Evra has proven to be one of our great left backs. But too often these days, it's the Evra show to him. When he forgets about the cameras, he is still top quality but in my opinion, he is hurting the team at times.

Still has a role to play, a huge role but I think he needs to get his finger out, you would have thought the confirmation of the Baines link would have woken him up, it hasn't in my opinion which is a worrying sign.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
My main concern with Evra is that his arrogance is now really getting in the way. I don't mind a confident or cocky player. Evra has proven to be one of our great left backs. But too often these days, it's the Evra show to him. When he forgets about the cameras, he is still top quality but in my opinion, he is hurting the team at times.

Still has a role to play, a huge role but I think he needs to get his finger out, you would have thought the confirmation of the Baines link would have woken him up, it hasn't in my opinion which is a worrying sign.
I thought he's looked very good every game this season, apart from yesterday. He had a very good year last season too for the most part if I recall. I wouldn't be too worried about him today because everyone was awful, and his game just got dragged down as well.

Eric'sCollar

I thought he's looked very good every game this season, apart from yesterday. He had a very good year last season too for the most part if I recall. I wouldn't be too worried about him today because everyone was awful, and his game just got dragged down as well.
It's not so much his performance, it's his attitude that is concerning me.

LR7

I wouldn't say he is arrogant at all. He tries too hard at times to drive the team forward, but it's hardly from a self serving point of view.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
My main concern with Evra is that his arrogance is now really getting in the way. I don't mind a confident or cocky player. Evra has proven to be one of our great left backs. But too often these days, it's the Evra show to him. When he forgets about the cameras, he is still top quality but in my opinion, he is hurting the team at times.

I honestly don't see anything different in him, he's always been "positively" arrogant. He's been good/great this last few months and this season so far too. One of the players whose the performances don't worry me at all.

Eric'sCollar

I wouldn't say he is arrogant at all. He tries too hard at times to drive the team forward, but it's hardly from a self serving point of view.
He is up himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, I'm not saying it as a point that I don't like him but he is very arrogant. It can be a quality, and his confidence has been a great attribute of his but it's getting out of hand in my opinion.

In terms of ability and his level, I have no problems with him, he is still great, I just think he needs to switch on. When he plays well, he offers the team plenty of drive and go forward. He is one of the best fullbacks in world football. He is technically gifted and reads the game as well as anyone. I just feel his form suffers from his attitude at times rather than his quality.

LR7

What are you basing that opinion on though. He fights to drive us forward because he's up himself? I don't understand.

Eric'sCollar

What are you basing that opinion on though. He fights to drive us forward because he's up himself? I don't understand.
Cantona was arrogant, Ronaldo was arrogant, there is nothing wrong with it as long as it is kept in check.

Sometimes he justs gets the ball, could play it quickly but he just stands on it, makes sure everyone is watching, does a pointless bit of skill that achieves nothing and plays a ball that doesn't do anything. However, if he got the ball and moved it straight away, we would be far more fluid, instead opposition midfields are finding it easy to set up against us.

I met the team in Sydney when they were here. All the players were happy to chat and sign a few things. Evra just threw his sunnies on and walked around with his chest out not doing anything. A few of the players apologised and Paddy Crerand told us that sometimes he just gets in a mood, that's who he is.

Again, I like the confidence, I do.It's just I think he should just get the ball and move it, he is playing in slow motion at the moment and one of his strengths is his speed of play in wide areas. When we are a confident team by all means do the tricks and flicks, not now though.

Rossa

Cantona was arrogant, Ronaldo was arrogant, there is nothing wrong with it as long as it is kept in check.

Sometimes he justs gets the ball, could play it quickly but he just stands on it, makes sure everyone is watching, does a pointless bit of skill that achieves nothing and plays a ball that doesn't do anything. However, if he got the ball and moved it straight away, we would be far more fluid, instead opposition midfields are finding it easy to set up against us.

I met the team in Sydney when they were here. All the players were happy to chat and sign a few things. Evra just threw his sunnies on and walked around with his chest out not doing anything. A few of the players apologised and Paddy Crerand told us that sometimes he just gets in a mood, that's who he is.

Again, I like the confidence, I do.It's just I think he should just get the ball and move it, he is playing in slow motion at the moment and one of his strengths is his speed of play in wide areas. When we are a confident team by all means do the tricks and flicks, not now though.

So you think he's arrogant and partly dislikes him because of it because he didn't take his time to sign your shirt? Also because he uses some tricks now and then on the pitch? That is just about some of the weirdest arguments I've seen thus far. Evra is arguably the best left back I've seen in link-up play. Yesterday he played with a Young who was Championship level at best that match - he had to dally on the ball.

I'm starting to get sick of this place; Evra has been phenomenal this season and this thread is like a frickin tomb (where were you EricsCollar for all the matches he played well?) and when he plays one match slightly below average, not even poorly, everyone comes here to slag him. It's ridiculous. People are seriously slating him for their fourth goal when he was our player furthest up the field waiting for a pass from Young who instead chose to run into three players and lose the ball - yeah, that was Evra's mistake, ffs.

Eric'sCollar

So you think he's arrogant and partly dislikes him because of it because he didn't take his time to sign your shirt? Also because he uses some tricks now and then on the pitch? That is just about some of the weirdest arguments I've seen thus far. Evra is arguably the best left back I've seen in link-up play. Yesterday he played with a Young who was Championship level at best that match - he had to dally on the ball.

I'm starting to get sick of this place; Evra has been phenomenal this season and this thread is like a frickin tomb (where were you EricsCollar for all the matches he played well?) and when he plays one match slightly below average, not even poorly, everyone comes here to slag him. It's ridiculous. People are seriously slating him for their fourth goal when he was our player furthest up the field waiting for a pass from Young who instead chose to run into three players and lose the ball - yeah, that was Evra's mistake, ffs.
If you could point out where I doubted Evra's ability that would be great. I made it clear that he is a great left back one of our best ever, still is.

I don't care about the shirt, I was disappointed for the kids that wanted his shirt, what the feck would I care :lol:

You have to admit that Evra plays for the cameras and I think that could be a better way of me descrbing his arrogance. When he goes down he waves to the bench as if it's a serious injury and limps off only to sprint 20 seconds later. I mean, just get on with it.

I'm not saying Evra is playing poorly, in fact, I think he has been one of our better players, it's just I think that if he sorts his head out, he could return to close to his best.

LR7

It's quite clear to me that you are letting your opinions of Evra as a person, unfairly cloud your judgment of him as a footballer. Of all the things that you could choose to criticise Evra for, being static is not one of them. He constantly pushes the team forward and drives the ball forward, with Ashley Young on the wing he is actually carrying out the job of the LB and the LW most of the time (just as rafael did on the right flank for large chunks of last season). He makes forward runs with the ball, takes people on, and actually tries damn hard to put accurate crosses in and create chances for his team mates - was it not him who hit the bar in the second half? It's inevitable that when trying to both attack and defend he might get caught out at the back at times when teams counter with pace but I don't see how the hell you can come to the conclusion that he is arrogant because imo he fought on the pitch last night, more than most of our other players did. You don't need 11 passive players who are happy to watch the game go by and not try to impact it but rather wait for a teammate to try something, Rooney, Evra and Cleverley last night were the three players on that pitch who showed the fight and determination that is expected of Manchester United players.

Eric'sCollar

It's quite clear to me that you are letting your opinions of Evra as a person, unfairly cloud your judgment of him as a footballer. Of all the things that you could choose to criticise Evra for, being static is not one of them. He constantly pushes the team forward and drives the ball forward, with Ashley Young on the wing he is actually carrying out the job of the LB and the LW most of the time (just as rafael did on the right flank for large chunks of last season). He makes forward runs with the ball, takes people on, and actually tries damn hard to put accurate crosses in and create chances for his team mates - was it not him who hit the bar in the second half? It's inevitable that when trying to both attack and defend he might get caught out at the back at times when teams counter with pace but I don't see how the hell you can come to the conclusion that he is arrogant because imo he fought on the pitch last night, more than most of our other players did. You don't need 11 passive players who are happy to watch the game go by and not try to impact it but rather wait for a teammate to try something, Rooney, Evra and Cleverley last night were the three players on that pitch who showed the fight and determination that is expected of Manchester United players.
It's a shame that you can't see it. Evra is one of my favourite players, I'm not letting anything cloud my judgement, he has that French arrogance, a lot do, I just feel he plays up to the cameras. I am able to discuss both sides of the coin when it comes to a player, even the ones that I like, I will see faults, at United it's about always improving.

A couple of years ago when Sir Alex raised issues regarding his attitude during his poor patch of form, it really gave him a kick and he returned to the Evra we know. That's what I want to see, he struts around like he is the main man, that confidence is fine but I would prefer to see that when we have something to be confident about, not when we need to sort stuff out.

Also, one last thing that I can't quite get. Yes, I'm calling him arrogant but I never questioned his fighting spirit and the effort he puts in, I never questioned that. I said he can speed up things but I never questioned his effort. I just feel he can channel everything a lot better.

Arrogance has nothing to do with effort and fight. I never said that, so don't say that I came to the conclusion of that.

Eric'sCollar

One example that might give some light of what I am refering to is that stupid pass he does when he is near the corner. He stands on the ball and flicks it out from underneath with his other foot. I mean just pass the thing normally, the person receiving always gets caught off guard when that pass comes. It's a pass for the cameras.

Eric'sCollar

I don't want it to sound like I don't like Evra, I do, he is one of my favourite players, I can just admit that he is arrogant. Some of our greatest players have been arrogant.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Shit, I love Evra but am I the only one who was furious at his absolute lack of enthusiasm to track back? I saw him, on at least 3 occassions when City countered, just casually jogging back.

Is it a fitness issue or what?

Rossa

If you could point out where I doubted Evra's ability that would be great. I made it clear that he is a great left back one of our best ever, still is.

I don't care about the shirt, I was disappointed for the kids that wanted his shirt, what the feck would I care :lol:

You have to admit that Evra plays for the cameras and I think that could be a better way of me descrbing his arrogance. When he goes down he waves to the bench as if it's a serious injury and limps off only to sprint 20 seconds later. I mean, just get on with it.

I'm not saying Evra is playing poorly, in fact, I think he has been one of our better players, it's just I think that if he sorts his head out, he could return to close to his best.

I don't admit to him playing to the cameras. If anything, I think he's a machine for getting up from some of the tackles he gets pounded on him at times; most players would choose to buckle under those circumstances, yet you criticise him for being arrogant for getting on the pitch again? That's just weird, mate.

What part of his head do you think he should sort out? He never complains, always give 100% and is the last of our players to leave the sinking ship, if you like - he never gives up. Arrogant players tend to give up when the rest of the team plays poorly - not Evra.

And yes, you did doubt his ability as mentality is a great part of football.

Like Kouroux, I really don't understand what you are getting at.

Eric'sCollar

I don't admit to him playing to the cameras. If anything, I think he's a machine for getting up from some of the tackles he gets pounded on him at times; most players would choose to buckle under those circumstances, yet you criticise him for being arrogant for getting on the pitch again? That's just weird, mate.

What part of his head do you think he should sort out? He never complains, always give 100% and is the last of our players to leave the sinking ship, if you like - he never gives up. Arrogant players tend to give up when the rest of the team plays poorly - not Evra.

And yes, you did doubt his ability as mentality is a great part of football.

Like Kouroux, I really don't understand what you are getting at.
It's going around in circles but I will answer your points.

I never questioned his commitment when he goes down. I said what is the point of rolling around acting as though it's a serious injury only to get up as if nothing happened. Just get up straight away. Arrogance ha nothing to do with commitment, I don't know why you are implying that it does.

Never complains? Lately, he does nothing but face the linesman and debate whos throw it should have been. Again, I never questioned his effort, so drop that argument.

On the doubting, nice way to twist it, in that part I was talking about his tecnhical ability not his mental state. Which 99% of the time is very good.

What I'm getting at? It's simple, Evra is arrogant. Does that mean I don't like him? No. Does that mean I don't rate him? No. Does it mean we should sell him? No. It means he is arrogant.

So many of our great players have been arrogant. When used the right way, which Evra has done for years, it can be quite a useful trait. I just don't think he has much to be cocky about at the moment.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Sorry, that's bollocks... like, total, complete, utter nonsense.

Out of all our wide players, Evra (and Rafael & Nani when they play) is seemingly currently the only people who can actually do different things with a football, and can vary the way they attack to keep the opposition guessing. He can play a good one-two, he can dribble, he can pass and he makes excellent, well-timed runs. To suggest that he just stands on the ball quite simply isn't true... in fact, he's often the bloke who speeds up are attack when everyone else is standing around like a lemon.

Eric'sCollar

Sorry, that's bollocks... like, total, complete, utter nonsense.

Out of all our wide players, Evra (and Rafael & Nani when they play) is seemingly currently the only people who can actually do different things with a football, and can vary the way they attack to keep the opposition guessing. He can play a good one-two, he can dribble, he can pass and he makes excellent, well-timed runs. To suggest that he just stands on the ball quite simply isn't true... in fact, he's often the bloke who speeds up are attack when everyone else is standing around like a lemon.
Unfortunately you missed the post where I said all that and backed that up. I am talking about certain moments in games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Unfortunately you missed the post where I said all that and backed that up. I am talking about certain moments in games.
Where did you do this?

And what are these certain moments? Because I'm fairly sure they don't exist. Evra has his faults, but when it comes to slowing up the play, he is one of the least guilty players in our squad for doing that... he is one of our better players when it comes to using the ball in an attacking sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.