Patrice Evra | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Where did you do this?
Posted a few posts ago.

In terms of ability and his level, I have no problems with him, he is still great, I just think he needs to switch on. When he plays well, he offers the team plenty of drive and go forward. He is one of the best fullbacks in world football. He is technically gifted and reads the game as well as anyone. I just feel his form suffers from his attitude at times rather than his quality.
And what are these certain moments? Because I'm fairly sure they don't exist. Evra has his faults, but when it comes to slowing up the play, he is one of the least guilty players in our squad for doing that... he is one of our better players when it comes to using the ball in an attacking sense.
I'm not going to go back to the tape and single out moments on the clock. There wasn't much in terms of him slowing up the play on the weekend, I was talking in a general sense when teams sit against us.

Rossa

It's going around in circles but I will answer your points.

I never questioned his commitment when he goes down. I said what is the point of rolling around acting as though it's a serious injury only to get up as if nothing happened. Just get up straight away. Arrogance ha nothing to do with commitment, I don't know why you are implying that it does.
Arrogance surely is related to commitment - if you are arrogant enough to believe that everything is just about you, you will probably not give your best if the rest of the team are not. Evra is probably one of the players who lies on the pitch the least complaining. If he is tackled hard he goes to the ground and is in serious pain, but he never lies there for long - do expect him not to get hurt?

Never complains? Lately, he does nothing but face the linesman and debate whos throw it should have been. Again, I never questioned his effort, so drop that argument.
He never complains about the game and never sulks when we are playing poorly. He is one of the few who keeps marching on even when things are gloomy. I don't think he complains that much to the refs - not more than any other defender.

On the doubting, nice way to twist it, in that part I was talking about his tecnhical ability not his mental state. Which 99% of the time is very good.
Now you are making no sense. You say his arrogance is getting in the way; how is his arrogance affecting his technical ability, which you admit is good? That's surreal...

What I'm getting at? It's simple, Evra is arrogant. Does that mean I don't like him? No. Does that mean I don't rate him? No. Does it mean we should sell him? No. It means he is arrogant.
Evra probably is more arrogant than your regular bloke, but I've seen nothing to suggest he is more arrogant than most footballers. RVP looks just as arrogant, if not more, same with Rio, Rooney etc.

So many of our great players have been arrogant. When used the right way, which Evra has done for years, it can be quite a useful trait. I just don't think he has much to be cocky about at the moment.
[/quote]

He's had a great season and was great last season; therefore I'm not sure what you mean by saying he doesn't have much to be cocky about at the moment.

Honestly, I think your arguments are very poor. They are based on an assumption that he is arrogant, which somehow affects his technical abilities, slows down the game and complains too much with the ref, and that he rolls around on the pitch too much. None of those things make sense if you actually watch him play. He has his faults, but he's been good lately.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Arrogance is not related to commitment. As you said, other players are arrogant, we are not questioning them, I am not questioning Evra. On that note, why bring up others players to point out their arrogance, all I said and am saying is that Evra is, nothing to do with others, I'm not ranking them.

I never said it's getting in the way, I said it has the potential to affect his game. Don't twist my words.

I am not questioning his ability, at the elitle level the margins are so fine and I think the mental aspect of the game is as important. So I think he performs better when he is has his mind 100% on the job, which i fairness to him, he does most of the time but that's not the point I am making but for some reason a few people see to think it is.

Anyway, the initial point was that I feel Evra is arrogant, end of really, so are hepas of players. I still love the guy though.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Please stop crossing it from 40 yards out on the left. Please.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Tell that to Moyes, it's not Evra's game at all. In fairness it created the best chance of the game.

kps88

The depressing thing is that looks like the only way we'll score a goal. It created our best chance of the half. It's either that or passing it sideways until we lose the ball.

MoneyMay

I don't care about how poor he was for their goal. This guy is a monster going forward.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Please stop crossing it from 40 yards out on the left. Please.
Yeah, Januzay's goal and another chance he set up came from distance much shorter than 40 yards, him crossing from areas when his accuracy doesn't allow makes little sense. He's no Baines when it comes to that, he's better at running at defenders, linking up and hitting low crosses.

Sam

I think Moyes will try and replace him as soon as he can. He's just far to open defensively to be a 'Moyes player' imo.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Surprised he hasn't been getting more flak. Defensively terrible again, eventhough he setup our first.

Goooose

I'm afraid he's past it. A record goal-scoring season for him papered over the cracks last year, but we need to replace him.

And no, Fabio's not good enough.

LR7

Clearly been instructed to put those crosses in. It's so frustrating because they're largely a waste. They end up getting cleared by a defender almost every time. We put in 30 crosses tonight and a grand total of 3 were accurate. Admittedly those 3 were from Evra but it was 3/10. Why are we persisting with it? It's so fecking frustrating when we could either put in drilled cut-backs or play the ball through the middle like we used to and create an opening. It isn't Evra's strength or the crosses would be more accurate, it also isn't playing to Robin's strengths either. I don't blame Evra.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Read this on Twitter:
Since the start of the season, no defender has assisted more goals than Patrice Evra (6).

Can that be true? I can't remember 6 goals he's assisted. Though some statistic outlets seem to include winning the direct free kick or penalty which led to a goal as an assist, so perhaps he won a couple of those Rooney free kicks.

Rossa

Yet, Nani should've scored from one on the volley.

For the most part I agree though.

Baines and Rafael as fullbacks would elevate us to another level in an attacking sense. Not sure about defensively though.

We only have RVP in the box - having Baines crossing the ball better would offer us nothing as RVP will never win those duels anyhow. I can't believe people actually think that Baines will improve our team - it's utter madness. Evra is carrying our attack down that left flank by running past people (one should think he was 29 again), linking-up and making those driving runs that Baines could only dream of. And to think that Baines is better defensively is naive (you pointed that out, so no dig at you, more a general thing). Rafael is already our fullback, and he hasn't elevated us that much thus far.

The problem is that there seems to be no plan offensively other than crossing the ball early to players who are not there. Players stand around looking at each other wondering what to do, it seems - I doubt Baines would somehow magically improve that. And yes, Evra did have one assist for Januzaj and should have had one for Nani, so it's not as if he's hopless. The grass certainly isn't always greener on the other side.

Rossa

Clearly been instructed to put those crosses in. It's so frustrating because they're largely a waste. They end up getting cleared by a defender almost every time. We put in 30 crosses tonight and a grand total of 3 were accurate. Admittedly those 3 were from Evra but it was 3/10. Why are we persisting with it? It's so fecking frustrating when we could either put in drilled cut-backs or play the ball through the middle like we used to and create an opening. It isn't Evra's strength or the crosses would be more accurate, it also isn't playing to Robin's strengths either. I don't blame Evra.

Good post! Those early crosses don't work at all the way we are playing. RVP has never scored more than two goals per season with his head, so how does Moyes think that crossing the ball early will suddenly change that? RVP may not be at his sharpest, but our set-up isn't helping him at all!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Read this on Twitter:
Since the start of the season, no defender has assisted more goals than Patrice Evra (6).

Can that be true? I can't remember 6 goals he's assisted. Though some statistic outlets seem to include winning the direct free kick or penalty which led to a goal as an assist, so perhaps he won a couple of those Rooney free kicks.
I thought it was around half that.

I did read this though:

- Patrice Evra has created more chances for United this season (11) than any other player.

Hal9000

I think it's to do with Moyes tactics. Look how many crosses Evra is putting in from deep this season, compared to last where he was more likely to overlap and try and get to the by line.

Rossa

I thought it was around half that.

I did read this though:

- Patrice Evra has created more chances for United this season (11) than any other player.

Yet we score less. Perhaps we shouldn't be too concerned with chances created. Downing too created lots of chances - few assists and goals though. Baines also creates a lot of chances, but not more assists or goals than Evra last season (especially if you take away free kicks). I'm not sure it's the right way to go.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Maybe it's part of the "learning process" by Moyes, he has to learn each player's strength and weakness but then again it's not the best hidden secret that Evra's crosses from deep aren't good. Hopefully he'll be told to play his attacking game in a more natural way for him.

MoneyMay

Evra has already created 11 chances this season. Tells you everything you need to know. By the way, a shot assist is basically a chance created. Very misleading stat.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Maybe it's part of the "learning process" by Moyes, he has to learn each player's strength and weakness but then again it's not the best hidden secret that Evra's crosses from deep aren't good. Hopefully he'll be told to play his attacking game in a more natural way for him.
It's so painful to watch. There is usually nobody in any position of threat in the center either :lol:. Reminds me of that game where Valencia had 2/24 (or thereabouts) cross attempts. :lol:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Evra reminds me of Roy Jones Jnr in his last few years. Still good going forward but very uncomfortable watching him defending. His opponents are just going by him with so much ease. He would be a quality understudy surprised Saf didn't replace him the same way he did with Parker who was an international at the time. I honestly think as much as we bark about money we do have a very limited budget.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We only have RVP in the box - having Baines crossing the ball better would offer us nothing as RVP will never win those duels anyhow. I can't believe people actually think that Baines will improve our team - it's utter madness. Evra is carrying our attack down that left flank by running past people (one should think he was 29 again), linking-up and making those driving runs that Baines could only dream of. And to think that Baines is better defensively is naive (you pointed that out, so no dig at you, more a general thing). Rafael is already our fullback, and he hasn't elevated us that much thus far.

The problem is that there seems to be no plan offensively other than crossing the ball early to players who are not there. Players stand around looking at each other wondering what to do, it seems - I doubt Baines would somehow magically improve that. And yes, Evra did have one assist for Januzaj and should have had one for Nani, so it's not as if he's hopless. The grass certainly isn't always greener on the other side.
This.

As soon as we stopped throwing aimless balls into the box and started playing it along the ground from wide areas we looked much better.

LR7

Criticised in France apparently for the rallying speech he gave at half time in their last game, which his team mates even credited as being what turned it around for them. Incredible.

kps88

Evra has already created 11 chances this season. Tells you everything you need to know. By the way, a shot assist is basically a chance created. Very misleading stat.

That's interesting. May be Baines' high chance creation rate is just a result of Moyes' tactics rather than anything special from Baines and would have happened with any half decent full back.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Criticised in France apparently for the rallying speech he gave at half time in their last game, which his team mates even credited as being what turned it around for them. Incredible.
:lol: That can't be true surely?!

Oh the French...

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Also, Evra has the most assists for a defender in the PL since the start of last season (6).

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Always said that.

Moyes moves to United and suddenly Evra has more key passes than Baines. Shocker!

MoneyMay

That's interesting. May be Baines' high chance creation rate is just a result of Moyes' tactics rather than anything special from Baines and would have happened with any half decent full back.
It's a result of set pieces too. Say, for example, Evra crosses the ball - but it's a poor cross - and Van Persie heads it next to the corner flag... That counts as a chance created. As I said, it's very misleading. To use a hypothetical example, Carrick and Cleverley have created 50 chances. Iniesta and Xavi have created 20 chances. It doesn't necessarily mean that the former are better. In fact, the 20 chances the latter have created might have been clear-cut chances. It would be better if Opta offered clear cut chances, rather than key passes/chances, which I refer to now as shot assists because that's what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.