Patrice Evra | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I always thought Evra's laziness in defending the past few seasons has been due to him playing way to many matches. However, even this season when he's been rested he's proved to be really lazy in his defending. I think he's too much of a defensive liability these days and we can now see why Moyes was going for a new left back. What I don't understand is why Moyes doesn't just give Fabio a chance in that position.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Criticised in France apparently for the rallying speech he gave at half time in their last game, which his team mates even credited as being what turned it around for them. Incredible.
:lol: That can't be true surely?!

Oh the French...

Criticized by some and applauded by others tbh, the criticism was more why it took a player like Evra to do Deschamps and his assistants jobs at half time ?
A lot of bitter pundits admitted that what Evra did was good for the team's benefit.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Criticized by some and applauded by others tbh, the criticism was more why it took a player like Evra to do Deschamps and his assistants jobs at half time ?
A lot of bitter pundits admitted that what Evra did was good for the team's benefit.
I read somewhere (might actually be on here!) that he still hasn't been forgiven by a large section of the French public for his role at WC 2010?

kouroux

I read somewhere (might actually be on here!) that he still hasn't been forgiven by a large section of the French public for his role at WC 2010?
That's true and only because his performances for the national team haven't as good as say Ribery (who was as much as a culprit back then but now is completely forgiven). France fans, just like most are fickle, if you play well, you could get away with most things. French people just take these matters a little too much at heart, they expect too much exemplary behavior from footballers.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair to you/the French... I bet if something similar happened at United, and RVP gave a rousing teamtalk at half time, ther would be just as many people creaming themselves in the RVP thread as there would be in the David Moyes thread, lambasting him for not being bale to do his job and needing a player to do it for him... so you can sort of see why the criticism would come in (on Deschamps, not on Evra).

Personally though, I don't see how it's anything but a good thing... for one, it's great to know you can have influential and respected players in your squad, and also such a moment would do great things for team moral you'd imagine. So long as Evra is undermining the manager in anyway, I think such incidents can only be a good thing.

kouroux

To be fair to you/the French... I bet if something similar happened at United, and RVP gave a rousing teamtalk at half time, ther would be just as many people creaming themselves in the RVP thread as there would be in the David Moyes thread, lambasting him for not being bale to do his job and needing a player to do it for him... so you can sort of see why the criticism would come in (on Deschamps, not on Evra).

Personally though, I don't see how it's anything but a good thing... for one, it's great to know you can have influential and respected players in your squad, and also such a moment would do great things for team moral you'd imagine. So long as Evra is undermining the manager in anyway, I think such incidents can only be a good thing.
I definitely agree with you, I was like "at last some positive about Evra for France".

Ish

Lights on for Luke
That's true and only because his performances for the national team haven't as good as say Ribery (who was as much as a culprit back then but now is completely forgiven). France fans, just like most are fickle, if you play well, you could get away with most things. French people just take these matters a little too much at heart, they expect too much exemplary behavior from footballers.
Yeah, they should just put that farce behind them.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Had a solid game for France against Australia. To be fair though, his biggest test was dealing with a bobble once when crossing the ball.

LR7

From what I read it wasn't criticism of Deschsmps for not doing his job, it was criticism on Evra for getting involved, which is what I found baffling.

"It's not something which goes against the role of the national team coach. Pat spoke up, like me, like other players. I don't understand that it can bother people, that someone who's a substitute gets himself involved," Deschamps told TF1, adding Evra's half-century of international appearances gave him the requisite stature to take a prominent role in the dressing-room.
"Being a leader in the French team is not something you can just become overnight. You need legitimacy, a past, experience, and of course it's those who have been there longest who have it. Evra is a leader. He's been a first-teamer at Manchester United for six years, and plays 60 games a season. If I pick him, it's not because I knew him at Monaco."

LR7

Had a solid game for France against Australia. To be fair though, his biggest test was dealing with a bobble once when crossing the ball.
I thought he would play since Clichy had a shocker in their last game iirc.

Sir A1ex

Google translates the fff link as:

Following the remarks made by Patrice Evra in an interview to Téléfoot in the extension of France vs. Finland, President Graët Christmas and coach Didier Deschamps (pictured), after noting that no attack had been made ​​against the FFF, the France team, his coach and his players have decided to ask Patrice Evra to come to explain some statements about consultants broadcasting.​

Sounds like if it was in relation to broadcasting, the former greats etc are probably pundits, and the attack is in that context. Eg "What the feck does liniker know, the tosser?"

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Couldn't agree more with Evra. France is not a football country and it shows in their media and fans

kouroux

Couldn't agree more with Evra. France is not a football country and it shows in their media and fans
I agree with everything he said but I'm a fan and my words and thoughts won't create as much fuss. The reactions on the web have been a disgrace, some sick racist insults and general hatred thrown at Evra. He didn't need to put himself in that situation.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I agree with everything he said but I'm a fan and my words and thoughts won't create as much fuss. The reactions on the web have been a disgrace, some sick racist insults and general hatred thrown at Evra. He didn't need to put himself in that situation.

Wasn't Pat getting some shit from your media after that match you guys have been losing and he did some talking during the half time?

kouroux

Wasn't Pat getting some shit from your media after that match you guys have been losing and he did some talking during the half time?
He wasn't getting praised mostly which is something really hard for french journos to do when it comes to Evra, now he's given them everything they wanted. A story, a feud, the valid excuses to smear his name, he made things way too easy for those vultures.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He wasn't getting praised mostly which is something really hard for french journos to do when it comes to Evra, now he's given them everything they wanted. A story, a feud, the valid excuses to smear his name, he made things way too easy for those vultures.

Alright, sucks but yea, seems like he felt for those provocations then. Still love him immensely.

Sir A1ex

I don't know about this world full-back of the year stuff, but it looks like Lizarazu as talking shit about their international careers...

Evra was first called up to France's preliminary squad for Euro 2004 before missing the cut. Lizarazu played throughout, so will have been in squads with him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Good on Pat, and feck 'em... the bloke obviously feels hurt and annoyed by the constant stream of shit he seems to get from certain sections of the French media/press, so if he feels the need to vent, fair play to him.

Also, Lizarazu isn't exactly being honest it seems, according to one article he's said he "His (Evra's) first cap I was no longer in the squad" in response to Evra saying "I recall my first call-up to the national side, all the others shook my hand apart from him. Thierry Henry said to him, 'Oh Liza, here is the opposition'. And Lizarazu looked at me and said, "Why? Someone told you that I was already retired?" ... Evra got his first call up in 2002 (didn't make a debut until 2004), Lizarazu stopped playing for France in 2004.

Timdbro

Good on Pat, and feck 'em... the bloke obviously feels hurt and annoyed by the constant stream of shit he seems to get from certain sections of the French media/press, so if he feels the need to vent, fair play to him.

Also, Lizarazu isn't exactly being honest it seems, according to one article he's said he "His (Evra's) first cap I was no longer in the squad" in response to Evra saying "I recall my first call-up to the national side, all the others shook my hand apart from him. Thierry Henry said to him, 'Oh Liza, here is the opposition'. And Lizarazu looked at me and said, "Why? Someone told you that I was already retired?" ... Evra got his first call up in 2002 (didn't make a debut until 2004), Lizarazu stopped playing for France in 2004.

I was just about to post something about this part, after seeing the Lizarazu reaction on Téléfoot. It's quite clear that Evra means his first call-up, rather than his first cap (which was after Lizarazu retired), so it would seem Lizarazu is trying to refute this by bending the truth a bit. Or maybe he really doesn't remember, who knows. I'm not sure whether Evra means his first call-up at any level (which, as you say, would be 2002) or to the senior squad, which according to Wiki was in the preliminary squad for Euro 2004, before the trimming down to 23. That would have been in 2004, and on that occasion Evra and Lizarazu would certainly have crossed paths.

Edit: also, for the Henry quote, the translation would be "here is the succession" rather than the "opposition", which is why Lizarazu replied that he wasn't retired yet.

Rossa

Just read the same - such a shame. He's probably one of my all-time favourite players since I started following United around 1990. Such charisma and energy on the pitch is hard to come by. At his best, he was arguably the best left back I've seen also (I know most will argue that Irwin was better). Maybe that's why Moyes wanted Baines?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Makes the whole Baines thing this summer look a bit less weird.

Thisistheone

Just read the same - such a shame. He's probably one of my all-time favourite players since I started following United around 1990. Such charisma and energy on the pitch is hard to come by. At his best, he was arguably the best left back I've seen also (I know most will argue that Irwin was better). Maybe that's why Moyes wanted Baines?
Agree. He's been a brilliant player for us. Loves the club as well.

Luke Shaw anyone?

Hellboy

Glad one of our best players are leaving? He's been mostly very good this season and was great last season. Stupid comment, imo.

I like Evra very much, but he's not one of our best players anymore. He cost us a lot defensively in the last 2-3 years. He has been a great servant for us, a great guy in the dressing room but his time is up. We need a young, hungry left back like Evra was in 2006. It's your interpretation of my comment that is stupid.

blitz133w

feck! I will be gutted. He was a great servant and an amazing player. He was excellent this season as well. His ability to run with the ball on the left is underrated IMO. He may not be the best crosser or the best defender but he brings a lot to the table while attacking from the left. I think he has been vital in making our left flank look less shit than it actually is. We need more charismatic players like him. I think he'll miss out on a testimonial as well

Cina

Makes the whole Baines thing this summer look a bit less weird.
Haven't seen the quote but is it possible he's leaving because Moyes was so desperate to bring another LB in this summer?

kps88

Haven't seen the quote but is it possible he's leaving because Moyes was so desperate to bring another LB in this summer?

He cited personal issues. I'll give Moyes the benefit of doubt and think it was the other way around. Evra did want to leave once earlier as well and Albert made it sound like he only stayed because of SAF.

Sir A1ex

Cina

Ah ok, fair enough then.

I hope we get Coentrao in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.