Paul Merson Pundit Thread

Sylar

I like how theyre asking apart from Rowett, who else , but they cant give names. (And Rowett not rowlett)

RORY65

I like how theyre asking apart from Rowett, who else , but they cant give names. (And Rowett not rowlett)
There's just so many great British managers in the Championship it's hard to keep up given the top 6 is made up of Irish (admittedly born in England), Spanish, Dutch, German and Portuguese mangers alongside Garry Monk, who is doing very well but is only 6 months into a job at a bigger club than Hull. The only other young, British manager doing well in that division is Paul Heckingbottom who is in his first season in full time management.

Silva may not work out at Hull but his CV is bloody impressive so far and a club as dysfunctional as Hull are lucky he would go near them. This notion that British managers don't get chances and Moyes' shite the other day about foreign managers being praised more is such rubbish, Moyes is just one of several managers like Hodgson, Hughes and Sherwood who have got big jobs in recent years and not been up to it.

Sylar

Exactly @RORY65
Hull gave Phelan a chance, it didnt work out. So are giving it to somebody else who they believe will help them out (and just before a window so he might be able to entice people across?).

I like how Dyche is mentioned. So does Merson want Hull to give the job to Dyche? Im confused. Or is he saying Dyche deserve a bigger job? But then who is he saying should sign him? Wengers replacement?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
That is actually depressing.

There's just so many great British managers in the Championship it's hard to keep up given the top 6 is made up of Irish (admittedly born in England), Spanish, Dutch, German and Portuguese mangers alongside Garry Monk, who is doing very well but is only 6 months into a job at a bigger club than Hull. The only other young, British manager doing well in that division is Paul Heckingbottom who is in his first season in full time management.

Silva may not work out at Hull but his CV is bloody impressive so far and a club as dysfunctional as Hull are lucky he would go near them. This notion that British managers don't get chances and Moyes' shite the other day about foreign managers being praised more is such rubbish, Moyes is just one of several managers like Hodgson, Hughes and Sherwood who have got big jobs in recent years and not been up to it.
Exactly. This crowd were saying the same shite after Pearson was sacked in favour of Ranieri. Sky should sack 'em both and replace them with foreign pundits who actually have a fecking clue what they're talking about.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That is actually depressing.

Exactly. This crowd were saying the same shite after Pearson was sacked in favour of Ranieri. Sky should sack 'em both and replace them with foreign pundits who actually have a fecking clue what they're talking about.
Well I would not be so harsh with them because I am not English, but knowing Marco as an former coach of my club and country he has a tricky job ahead, and if he does not get new players I am not sure if this squad is enough for the task.

The only thing I can understand on their argument is that maybe sometimes because there are so foreign owners on the Premier League maybe they easily go for the foreign manager, but if young English coaches are not getting their chance, why they do not try to work outside England?

If Merson thinks it was so easy to Silva to work in Greece probably young British Managers should try the same. By the way the other guy talking was Phil Thompson former Liverpool player and Coach?

Because if it is, well I remember more than 10 years ago when he was replacing Houllier who was with an heart problem, he faced an portuguese team called Boavista with many less financial resources and players like Owen, Gerrad, Carragher and Fowler, and I have to say that I was not particularly impressed with them.

Hey, but who knows maybe Marco will be an epic fail and they will say I told you so!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
  • Paul Merson, a man who's managerial experience extends as far as getting Walsall relegated and putting them on the brink of second relegation, feels that he could win the Greek League with Olympiakos. Because as we've all seen, anyone can take over a historically successful, recently title-winning team and guide them to instant success, just look at how Moyes did at United. I'm sure Merson thinks his time at Walsall was comparable to Moyes' at Everton too.
  • He's got nothing against foreign managers, but he can't see the difference between Marco Silva, and Gary Row(l)ett. Marco Silva took his first job in management in the Portuguese second tier, won promotion and the division with ease in his first season, finished 5th in the top flight in his second season, qualifying for the Europa League, then bettered the feat by finishing 4th in his 3rd season, also ending Porto's unbeaten home record, held since 2008. He then took the job at Sporting, and guided them to their first silverware since 2008, only to be sacked for wearing the wrong suit. His last job was Olympiakos, where he broke the record for consecutive wins from the first game of the season, and also broke the record for most consecutive wins in a European league in the 21st century. They also won the league by 30 points. Gary Row(l)ett nearly got Burton Albion promoted from League Two a couple of times, and then kept Birmingham comfortably mid-table in the Championship for a couple of seasons.
  • Marco Silva, a man who has won silverware with two different European clubs, as well as managing in Europe (including a win over Arsenal), should have gone to a Championship club to "start" off and prove that he can manage at the top level. Gary Row(l)lett has proved he can manage at the top level, because he got Birmingham to finish 10th in the Championship.
  • If you've done your badges then you deserve a chance to manage at the top level (i.e. the Premier League), unless you're foreign, because then you need to take a job in the Championship regardless of any prior managerial experience.
  • Sean Dyche, a man currently managing in the Premier League, but managing perennial relegation battlers Burnley, does not have a good job. Marco Silva, who has taken over at Hull, the team currently sat at the bottom of the Premier League, 8 places and 10 points behind Burnley, has a good job. When will Sean Dyche be given a good job like the one that's just gone begging at Hull?
  • What does Marco Silva know about Hull or the Premier League? He's never played or managed in either. Gary Rowett on the other hand, has also never played for or managed Hull, but he did play in the Premier League as recently as 2004, experience which I'm sure would have been very useful in Hull's upcoming relegation six-pointer against Leeds. As we all know, regardless of previous experience, being English and playing in England means you're more suited to a Premier League managerial job than someone foreign, even if they have a history of over-achieving with small teams and winning silverware with others.
  • Phil Thompson, ever the voice of reason, points out that Marco Silva has been blessed by god to receive what is likely a 6 month stint and a Premier League relegation with Hull on his CV. He'll put that at the top, above his Greek title, Portuguese cup, 4th and 5th placed finishes with newly promoted Estoril, and multiple seasons of European experience with three different clubs.
  • Paul Merson, expert on Greek football, informs everyone that 17 wins on the bounce can happen at Olympiakos (ask anyone). I mean, it's not like it broke the record for the most consecutive wins in any European top division in the 21st century. Happens all the time. Also, they don't even know who they're playing next month because the fixtures come out a month at a time (they're away to Panetolikos on April 30th). I'm also fairly sure the reason exact dates and times aren't given is because every match is televised live , one way or another.
  • Every manager outside of the Premier League, aside from Luis Enrique, Zinedine Zidane and Diego Simeone wanted the Hull job (including Sean Dyche, who is actually managing in the Premier League and doing better than Hull), such is the draw and pulling power of the Premier League.
  • Obviously, rather than hiring a manager who's proven himself at three different clubs, Hull should have gone for one of the successful, British managers currently doing well in the Championship or League One. For example, any of the top 6 managers in the Championship fit the bill. There's Irish Chris Hughton, Spanish Rafael Benitez, Dutch Japp Stam, American David Wagner, and Portuguese Carlos Carvalhal to choose from. Alongside Gary Monk they're the best young British managers we've got. Failing that, Hull should have looked in League One, because away trips to Bury and Oxford will prepare anyone for Premier League management.

Deleted member 101472

• Paul Merson, a man who's managerial experience extends as far as getting Walsall relegated and putting them on the brink of second relegation, feels that he could win the Greek League with Olympiakos. Because as we've all seen, anyone can take over a historically successful, recently title-winning team and guide them to instant success, just look at how Moyes did at United. I'm sure Merson thinks his time at Walsall was comparable to Moyes' at Everton too.
  • He's got nothing against foreign managers, but he can't see the difference between Marco Silva, and Gary Row(l)ett. Marco Silva took his first job in management in the Portuguese second tier, won promotion and the division with ease in his first season, finished 5th in the top flight in his second season, qualifying for the Europa League, then bettered the feat by finishing 4th in his 3rd season, also ending Porto's unbeaten home record, held since 2008. He then took the job at Sporting, and guided them to their first silverware since 2008, only to be sacked for wearing the wrong suit. His last job was Olympiakos, where he broke the record for consecutive wins from the first game of the season, and also broke the record for most consecutive wins in a European league in the 21st century. They also won the league by 30 points. Gary Row(l)ett nearly got Burton Albion promoted from League Two a couple of times, and then kept Birmingham comfortably mid-table in the Championship for a couple of seasons.
  • Marco Silva, a man who has won silverware with two different European clubs, as well as managing in Europe (including a win over Arsenal), should have gone to a Championship club to "start" off and prove that he can manage at the top level. Gary Row(l)lett has proved he can manage at the top level, because he got Birmingham to finish 10th in the Championship.
  • If you've done your badges then you deserve a chance to manage at the top level (i.e. the Premier League), unless you're foreign, because then you need to take a job in the Championship regardless of any prior managerial experience.
  • Sean Dyche, a man currently managing in the Premier League, but managing perennial relegation battlers Burnley, does not have a good job. Marco Silva, who has taken over at Hull, the team currently sat at the bottom of the Premier League, 8 places and 10 points behind Burnley, has a good job. When will Sean Dyche be given a good job like the one that's just gone begging at Hull?
  • What does Marco Silva know about Hull or the Premier League? He's never played or managed in either. Gary Rowett on the other hand, has also never played for or managed Hull, but he did play in the Premier League as recently as 2004, experience which I'm sure would have been very useful in Hull's upcoming relegation six-pointer against Leeds. As we all know, regardless of previous experience, being English and playing in England means you're more suited to a Premier League managerial job than someone foreign, even if they have a history of over-achieving with small teams and winning silverware with others.
  • Phil Thompson, ever the voice of reason, points out that Marco Silva has been blessed by god to receive what is likely a 6 month stint and a Premier League relegation with Hull on his CV. He'll put that at the top, above his Greek title, Portuguese cup, 4th and 5th placed finishes with newly promoted Estoril, and multiple seasons of European experience with three different clubs.
  • Paul Merson, expert on Greek football, informs everyone that 17 wins on the bounce can happen at Olympiakos (ask anyone). I mean, it's not like it broke the record for the most consecutive wins in any European top division in the 21st century. Happens all the time. Also, they don't even know who they're playing next month because the fixtures come out a month at a time (they're away to Panetolikos on April 30th). I'm also fairly sure the reason exact dates and times aren't given is because every match is televised live , one way or another.
  • Every manager outside of the Premier League, aside from Luis Enrique, Zinedine Zidane and Diego Simeone wanted the Hull job (including Sean Dyche, who is actually managing in the Premier League and doing better than Hull), such is the draw and pulling power of the Premier League.
  • Obviously, rather than hiring a manager who's proven himself at three different clubs, Hull should have gone for one of the successful, British managers currently doing well in the Championship or League One. For example, any of the top 6 managers in the Championship fit the bill. There's Irish Chris Hughton, Spanish Rafael Benitez, Dutch Japp Stam, American David Wagner, and Portuguese Carlos Carvalhal to choose from. Alongside Gary Monk they're the best young British managers we've got. Failing that, Hull should have looked in League One, because away trips to Bury and Oxford will prepare anyone for Premier League management.
Wish I could like this post. Spot on.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ah Ah, man I do not have the time to say much, but you have a good perception of what is going on, better for Silva to start winning, the knifes are pointed to him.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Brilliant; just brilliant :D

Nick7

Couldn't post again earlier, but this is absolutely spot on. I couldn't believe what I was watching when I saw him saw that bollocks earlier.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Someone should tweet this to Merson.

Varun

Staff
Haha. Superb!

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Brilliant post.
Someone needs to show him the stats regarding nationalities of managers who were relegated in the last few seasons. I think among the teams relegated in the last 3 seasons, only Fulham had foreign managers throughout the year. And there was Cardiff and Villa who got relegated with a foreign manager being in charge for a consideable amount of time for the season. Both were destined for relegation even before their managerial changes.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
POTY

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Well done I loved reading that. Please someone email that to sky sports or notify to Jeff.

Edit - I sent a message to Jeff on Twitter with the link

paulscholes18

Great post, right out of the top draw

AndyJ1985

Great post Alex99. I'd love for it to go viral, and for Jeff Steling to bring it up on Soccer Saturday, just to humiliate Merson on live TV. When he says rubbish like sell Payet and buy Martial I can let it go. But his ignorant and downright idiotic comments deserve ridicule. He gets paid well for a job in which he isn't fit for purpose.

Wayne's World

Great post and absolutely spot on....the four lads on Soccer Saturday don't have a fecking clue about football outside of England / Scotland......

Does anyone remember when Nigel Adkins got sacked from Southampton and the board of Southampton decided to bring in Mauricio Pochettino? I remember the comments are pretty similar to Silva here.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Great post and absolutely spot on....the four lads on Soccer Saturday don't have a fecking clue about football outside of England / Scotland......

Does anyone remember when Nigel Adkins got sacked from Southampton and the board of Southampton decided to bring in Mauricio Pochettino? I remember the comments are pretty similar to Silva here.
Keep that to England as they know zip about football this side of the border!

Hed Zitin

If they didn't employ him the man would probably be a total mess, so I'm alright with him still being employed despite being completely useless at his job. At least we can laugh at him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
One of the best posts I've ever read on here

Havak

Pokemon master
I feel like today's 'pundits' actually need to hire a lacky who does the research for them prior to when they open their mouths on live television.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Alex99 in my head has forever assassinated Paul Merson and Phil Thompson, I fully expect next time I watch Sky i'll just see some glitchy pixels where they're sitting because they no longer exist in my mind.

Nick7

To be fair, Le Tiss brought that up and the other three laughed him off and ignored it.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
I feel like today's 'pundits' actually need to hire a lacky who does the research for them prior to when they open their mouths on live television.
That's what happens with the BBC, any major tournament the usual pundits are on the golf course (or equivalent), and there are a bunch of researchers doing err, well the research.

Deleted member 101472

@Alex99

You always produce my favourite posts. This one rivals the senor fix resulag

devil in me

Seriously, this needs to be emailed to Sky Sports. Maybe, by all of us?!

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Great post, Alex. Absolutely spot on.

Merson is a fecking idiot. Someone should have slapped him on the mouth with a dead fish while he was spouting garbage in the studio.