Paul Parker: 'Wayne Rooney is overweight and slow.'

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, moaning of any description is, simply, tedious – and that has to be factored in too (when looking at the current debate, both sides of it).

The fact is that Rooney won't be shipped out in the next couple of days. On the contrary, Mourinho will keep playing him. Looking for positives in that scenario doesn't amount to being a Rooney apologist. It should be a question of tolerating him as long as he does what Mourinho – presumably – demands from him.

My take on the latter (what Mourinho expects from Rooney): He's mainly there to contribute something substantial (goals, setting up goals) – and to a (much) lesser extent to be a smooth, orchestrating playmaker who runs the shop and dictates the pace for the full ninety. The latter isn't a realistic expectation - yet it's what many focus on (almost exclusively): United should have a better (in some respects) and basically different (in terms of playing style) #10. Alright, fine - that's clearly a valid opinion. But Mourinho has decided to go with Rooney - presumably for several reasons, including less tangible ones (like team chemistry or whatever one wants to call it).

Rooney isn't at fault for not being the player people want in his (or a similar) role. Unless one actually believes that his contract makes him undroppable (in which case Woodward is to be blamed as much as Rooney himself), it's a simple enough thing: He won't play unless he provides what the manager expects from him.

The prevailing idea on here (among Rooney's most vocal detractors) seems to be that he is so clearly past it - and so easily replaced - that Mourinho basically has to be a bit thick in order to favour him (although very few are willing to state the latter in so many words).

Well - the proof is always in the pudding. Whether Mourinho is right to pick him - or not - has to be a matter of what results he can achieve with Rooney in the team. So, I guess we'll find out soon enough - as they say.

Arytonblue

Emerald Isle (Paddyland for the uncultured swine)
Only in part. It misses a very important element. Here's a longwinded, RAWKish analogy to demonstrate:

If you think a political party is detrimental to the nation, you're going to complain when that party stays in power for years; you're going to complain much more than the people who - for various reasons - are perfectly happy that said party remains in power. And yet those satisified people have the annoying gall of moaning that you're not as happy as they are; worse, some hint that you are mad for not thinking the same way as they do. This, in essence, is similar to Rooney's situation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The criticism about the criticism is often disingenuous or, worse, full of similar exaggerations and nonsense that we're told is solely the province of critics. Both sides are essentially the same in their methods but only one side has little to no reason to complain about Rooney's prominence - this allows them to maintain a false stance of objective reasonability, and so skew any debate about the player. Besides, we've reached the stage in this war of attrition in which not a single post - no matter how wise - can sway partisans to change their minds; discussion of Wayne Rooney's continued importance to United has become pointless, the PP thread an echo chamber of frustration and butthurt pique from posters with vested interests in Rooney's rise or fall.
I understand the analogy, even in a weird relation to Rooney, in Ireland we had the cancerous Fianna Fail in power for 14 years, even mentioning the name will get me rabidly ranting, anything and everything associated with them was poisonous to the country's well-being. But I don't look at United in that type of political sense, and honestly if people do I would say they are taking it a tad too serious, and I'm as passionate as anyone else. Obviously for some people Rooney isn't just a player in our first 11, he's a representation of something, the Fergie fallout, the Moyes disaster, the contract stuff, whatever. For others he clearly is more than a player due to his long term association to United, how he's just a few shy of Charlton's record etc. Whether that's fair on him is debatable, he is afterall the 'franchise' player on the highest wages, but when I try to judge a player I mostly leave that stuff aside and like to look at what's happening on the pitch.

But for me, and I'd like to think I showed this in my post earlier, I look at Rooney in terms of what he actually brings to United right now. There are many faults to his game, always have been, but I still look at him as someone we need this season. I don't go along with the idea that Rooney being a key player as the default position, he needs to earn his place, which I think he will have to do under Mourinho. I can remember defending Giggs' position in the team around 09-13, when many people thought he should be nowhere near the starting 11, and it wasn't based on what he did in his prime, it was based on the fact he was still an incredibly creative and important player for us even in his late 30s. What Rooney did between 04-12 doesn't matter to me, that's history, and there is no doubt that in the last 2 seasons he has had poor runs and cold streaks.

I have no loyalty to him as a player, nor was I criticizing what I think are the valid criticisms, which there are many, I was focusing on the blatant misrepresentations of everything and anything Rooney does by people who clearly have no intention of ever approaching this topic with any reason or objectivity, which if I'm being honest has made this forum close to unreadable at times. The debate doesn't have to be between people in entrenched 'pro' and 'anti' camps, it could just be like any other discussion about a player that people have on here, and I think within that medium people's opinion can at the very least be open to change, if not they can be interesting at the very least, of which the Rooney 'debate' has been anything but.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Good stuff, Aryton. :)

SteveJ

Scout
One post, one poster.

Care to name any other posters? There's probably a couple of them at best. You can't accuse the pro Rooney brigade of fabricating hatred and then turn around and generalize people as Rooney supporters because you don't agree with their view. That's just putting words in their mouths and being a hypocrite. And if you really wanted to you could just as easily class some of the posters on the opposite side of the fence as being obsessed with Rooney and him being "paramount" in their minds and United's success a distant second.

So, yeah, not really apt.
Well our posts are pretty much proving the point about the methods of both entrenched camps being similar, and the debate being nigh-on futile at this stage.

nick2004

Well our posts are pretty much proving the point about the methods of both entrenched camps being similar, and the debate being nigh-on futile at this stage.
There are no camps. The vast majority of supporters love Rooney. The proof: his shirts sell as much as anyone's. Not five years ago, now! And yes, this is adequate proof. Money talks, bullshit walks.

It is only a small (but vocal) minority of haters that cause most of the "debate". They have issues. Some of them are deeply hurt that Rooney won in his feud with ("their father") SAF. Some are hurt that their past idol wanted to leave at some point and they turned their love to hate. Some others always hated him as scouser, and they will always hate all scousers. Some hate him for earning a lot of money. And there are a few lost souls who just believe the haters, that Rooney is our major problem (they will convert now that we are winning again - with Rooney). But still, all these together they are a tiny, insignificant minority. Especially if we realize that the majority of fans do not live in England any more. And they don't care about local grievances, scousers, etc.

Of course, all the internet sites want traffic (traffic=money) so they are happy with the "controversy". In actual terms there is no "controversy", it is just an unimportant minority. The tiny minority screamed against Rooney last year, when we were losing, they will be screaming this year while we are winning, they will still scream in 2019, when Rooney gets a contract extension. But they don't really matter.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
There are no camps. The vast majority of supporters love Rooney. The proof: his shirts sell as much as anyone's. Not five years ago, now! And yes, this is adequate proof. Money talks, bullshit walks.

It is only a small (but vocal) minority of haters that cause most of the "debate". They have issues. Some of them are deeply hurt that Rooney won in his feud with ("their father") SAF. Some are hurt that their past idol wanted to leave at some point and they turned their love to hate. Some others always hated him as scouser, and they will always hate all scousers. Some hate him for earning a lot of money. And there are a few lost souls who just believe the haters, that Rooney is our major problem (they will convert now that we are winning again - with Rooney). But still, all these together they are a tiny, insignificant minority. Especially if we realize that the majority of fans do not live in England any more. And they don't care about local grievances, scousers, etc.

Of course, all the internet sites want traffic (traffic=money) so they are happy with the "controversy". In actual terms there is no "controversy", it is just an unimportant minority. The tiny minority screamed against Rooney last year, when we were losing, they will be screaming this year while we are winning, they will still scream in 2019, when Rooney gets a contract extension. But they don't really matter.
Won't get it. He'll be 34, why would he need a contract extension then? He'll barely be able to walk much less play:D

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Money talks, bullshit walks.
That could be a great tagline :lol:

Though it must be said that no one (or very few people) gave a toss about Rooney being Souse when he was in his prime. The issue is his level of performance, which has been gradually getting worse for the last four years or so.

nick2004

That could be a great tagline :lol:

Though it must be said that no one (or very few people) gave a toss about Rooney being Souse when he was in his prime. The issue is his level of performance, which has been gradually getting worse for the last four years or so.
There were always people who hated Rooney. Hated with a passion. Of course, some of them are more encouraged now.

SteveJ

Scout

Please kill me.

carlosp

I understand the analogy, even in a weird relation to Rooney, in Ireland we had the cancerous Fianna Fail in power for 14 years, even mentioning the name will get me rabidly ranting, anything and everything associated with them was poisonous to the country's well-being. But I don't look at United in that type of political sense, and honestly if people do I would say they are taking it a tad too serious, and I'm as passionate as anyone else. Obviously for some people Rooney isn't just a player in our first 11, he's a representation of something, the Fergie fallout, the Moyes disaster, the contract stuff, whatever. For others he clearly is more than a player due to his long term association to United, how he's just a few shy of Charlton's record etc. Whether that's fair on him is debatable, he is afterall the 'franchise' player on the highest wages, but when I try to judge a player I mostly leave that stuff aside and like to look at what's happening on the pitch.

But for me, and I'd like to think I showed this in my post earlier, I look at Rooney in terms of what he actually brings to United right now. There are many faults to his game, always have been, but I still look at him as someone we need this season. I don't go along with the idea that Rooney being a key player as the default position, he needs to earn his place, which I think he will have to do under Mourinho. I can remember defending Giggs' position in the team around 09-13, when many people thought he should be nowhere near the starting 11, and it wasn't based on what he did in his prime, it was based on the fact he was still an incredibly creative and important player for us even in his late 30s. What Rooney did between 04-12 doesn't matter to me, that's history, and there is no doubt that in the last 2 seasons he has had poor runs and cold streaks.

I have no loyalty to him as a player, nor was I criticizing what I think are the valid criticisms, which there are many, I was focusing on the blatant misrepresentations of everything and anything Rooney does by people who clearly have no intention of ever approaching this topic with any reason or objectivity, which if I'm being honest has made this forum close to unreadable at times. The debate doesn't have to be between people in entrenched 'pro' and 'anti' camps, it could just be like any other discussion about a player that people have on here, and I think within that medium people's opinion can at the very least be open to change, if not they can be interesting at the very least, of which the Rooney 'debate' has been anything but.
Agreed. People like bringing up the past actions to justify things. I would rather focus on the now and decide on that.

Unfortunately Rooney has been really poor of late hiwever he has been assisting or scoring. I reckon he will play against City but depending on what happens on the field he should be subbed off if he isn't performing unlike what he did against Hull where he was kept on.

Of course I am not Mourinho so he might play out the full game.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A very sensible post @Arytonblue . I believe most on the Rooney-out camp would still prefer to see him lift the trophy(ies) with him contributing to it.

Last edited:

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I'm sure I'll regret even attempting to get involved in this 'debate', though I found it strange that someone found the need to bump this thread in spite of the fact there already exists a specific performance thread for Rooney to vent whatever frustrations one has, but whatever, at least it reminded me how low a journalist can go to get a cheap clickbait soundbite from some random former United player from over 20 years ago.

For me, our general attacking play has been at most encouraging, if not frustrating at times, I certainly think we look a more composed team in the opening 3 games and there is at least a semblance of a plan and some routine about our front four, the involvement of the full backs has also been encouraging. Regarding Rooney, I thought he was unremarkable against Bournemouth but took his goal well, first game rustiness affected a lot of other players. I thought he was good against Southampton, forget about the cross to Ibra and all this fuss about stats, his positioning and link up play was good and I think he and Ibra have shown some good early signs of a decent partnership. Against Hull he was mostly anonymous for the first 45 but definitely upped his play in the second, involved in some good moves and his interchanging with Rashford helped open the game up for me. Again he did very well for the goal, it was a classic match winning moment but there's no need to overanalyze one moment like that. Hull were set up very good defensively and it was a rare occasion we got in behind their back 4 and it was great to get a late winner like that. Rooney plays in a very important position for our attack but he is only one player and it requires a properly functioning front four in order for us to regularly score goals, it requires good off the ball movement by the wide players, the striker taking chances in good areas and the no.10 being available to orchestrate attacking plays from a deeper position. Under this criteria I could definitely say some of Rooney's attacking play has been lackluster, but I would say the same about others in the front four as well. That's not an excuse, it's a simple analysis of our opening 3 games, but the bottom line reads three satisfactory wins in generally good performances so I see no need to make drastic changes to our lineup.

Now for me that's a balanced view on Rooney's opening 3 games, I would fully accept a view that says he wasn't as good in his passing and link up play, or that they feel he doesn't belong in the front four, I'd disagree but whatever. One look at a match day thread, the Rooney performance thread, thread's that have nothing to do with Rooney at all, any social media, they are just teeming with 'feck off Rooney', 'ship him to China', 'don't care he set up the winner, needs to go', 'feel sick watching him celebrate', 'scouse ****'. On top of all that cack we have reams of pages of massive hyperbole of how he always loses the ball, can't pass, ruins every attack, shouldn't be near the first team, shouldn't be captain, clearly overly bitter posters that still hate him for the contract shite three or 6 years ago. In the last few pages one post said that three managers, Moyes, LVG and Woy, all lost their jobs because they put faith in Rooney. Multiple times it's been said that if Rooney was never on the pitch that we wouldn't have needed a 92nd minute winner. When he makes any one mistake it's pounced on, blown up to justify already existing views that were never going to change anyway. If he scores a goal or does anything decent, it's the same one liners and opinions, just with 'even though he scored/created a goal' tagged on at the beginning.

And I've been reading this forum for around 4 years now and it's been mostly the same every year. The same over-analysis of every misplaced pass, every poor touch, every missed shot. It doesn't matter at this stage what Rooney actually does or doesn't do on the pitch, there is no debate to actually be had for many posters, it doesn't matter if almost every player to ever play gives the ball away or makes mistakes, if Rooney does it, it needs to amplified to enormous proportions in order to maintain the running narrative that has already been set.

There are valid criticisms, they are just mostly lost in between all this rabble. Has Rooney declined in the last 2 years? Yes for me he has, he's definitely lost a yard or two in pace and he's more sloppy in his passing compared to 3 years ago. Should Rooney's place be up for contention? Absolutely, apart from De Gea there isn't another player who should have a guaranteed starting position. Is Rooney still a valuable player for Manchester United in 2016? Yes, he is. He still has qualities of a player that we need, in terms of his positioning, finishing, general passing, set piece deliveries and experience he's a valuable player for the club. I don't need to give any aul guff about his lengthy service to the club or his leadership abilities to try and argue that and I'm certainly no 'Rooney fanboy' either, whatever the hell that is. Are there better options in Rooney's position in our squad? Maybe, but trying to come up with some alternate universe where Mkitharyan starts instead of Rooney and we run out 4-0 winners just to try and paint Rooney's assist in a poor light is utterly ridiculous.

That is a stupidly long post but I didn't want to reply to every relevant post so I just wanted to make a general overall point to cover all the major criticisms.
Outstanding, well argued.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Rooney used to be my favourite player, back when he was full of energy, fight and drive. He never lost the ball easily, would score all range of goals and was always a positive input to the team.

Now though he is a shadow of that player. Nobody here "hates" Rooney, but they can see how awful he is becoming. Let me tell you if he played for Liverpool or City and put in shoddy performances week in week out we would be laughing like crazy. We've got 2 fantastic players on the bench in Rashford and Mkhitaryan waiting to play, and it's frustrating that they have to wait in line until everybody is convinced Rooney is over the hill.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Where did you guys find is guy?

dichinero

Rooney used to be my favourite player, back when he was full of energy, fight and drive. He never lost the ball easily, would score all range of goals and was always a positive input to the team.

Now though he is a shadow of that player. Nobody here "hates" Rooney, but they can see how awful he is becoming. Let me tell you if he played for Liverpool or City and put in shoddy performances week in week out we would be laughing like crazy. We've got 2 fantastic players on the bench in Rashford and Mkhitaryan waiting to play, and it's frustrating that they have to wait in line until everybody is convinced Rooney is over the hill.
Respective fans tore into Neville and Gerrard, even Rio and Evra got some. United fans laughed at Gerrard, now the shoe is on the other foot some are now calling it hate. Ridiculous.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm sure I'll regret even attempting to get involved in this 'debate', though I found it strange that someone found the need to bump this thread in spite of the fact there already exists a specific performance thread for Rooney to vent whatever frustrations one has, but whatever, at least it reminded me how low a journalist can go to get a cheap clickbait soundbite from some random former United player from over 20 years ago.

For me, our general attacking play has been at most encouraging, if not frustrating at times, I certainly think we look a more composed team in the opening 3 games and there is at least a semblance of a plan and some routine about our front four, the involvement of the full backs has also been encouraging. Regarding Rooney, I thought he was unremarkable against Bournemouth but took his goal well, first game rustiness affected a lot of other players. I thought he was good against Southampton, forget about the cross to Ibra and all this fuss about stats, his positioning and link up play was good and I think he and Ibra have shown some good early signs of a decent partnership. Against Hull he was mostly anonymous for the first 45 but definitely upped his play in the second, involved in some good moves and his interchanging with Rashford helped open the game up for me. Again he did very well for the goal, it was a classic match winning moment but there's no need to overanalyze one moment like that. Hull were set up very good defensively and it was a rare occasion we got in behind their back 4 and it was great to get a late winner like that. Rooney plays in a very important position for our attack but he is only one player and it requires a properly functioning front four in order for us to regularly score goals, it requires good off the ball movement by the wide players, the striker taking chances in good areas and the no.10 being available to orchestrate attacking plays from a deeper position. Under this criteria I could definitely say some of Rooney's attacking play has been lackluster, but I would say the same about others in the front four as well. That's not an excuse, it's a simple analysis of our opening 3 games, but the bottom line reads three satisfactory wins in generally good performances so I see no need to make drastic changes to our lineup.

Now for me that's a balanced view on Rooney's opening 3 games, I would fully accept a view that says he wasn't as good in his passing and link up play, or that they feel he doesn't belong in the front four, I'd disagree but whatever. One look at a match day thread, the Rooney performance thread, thread's that have nothing to do with Rooney at all, any social media, they are just teeming with 'feck off Rooney', 'ship him to China', 'don't care he set up the winner, needs to go', 'feel sick watching him celebrate', 'scouse ****'. On top of all that cack we have reams of pages of massive hyperbole of how he always loses the ball, can't pass, ruins every attack, shouldn't be near the first team, shouldn't be captain, clearly overly bitter posters that still hate him for the contract shite three or 6 years ago. In the last few pages one post said that three managers, Moyes, LVG and Woy, all lost their jobs because they put faith in Rooney. Multiple times it's been said that if Rooney was never on the pitch that we wouldn't have needed a 92nd minute winner. When he makes any one mistake it's pounced on, blown up to justify already existing views that were never going to change anyway. If he scores a goal or does anything decent, it's the same one liners and opinions, just with 'even though he scored/created a goal' tagged on at the beginning.

And I've been reading this forum for around 4 years now and it's been mostly the same every year. The same over-analysis of every misplaced pass, every poor touch, every missed shot. It doesn't matter at this stage what Rooney actually does or doesn't do on the pitch, there is no debate to actually be had for many posters, it doesn't matter if almost every player to ever play gives the ball away or makes mistakes, if Rooney does it, it needs to amplified to enormous proportions in order to maintain the running narrative that has already been set.

There are valid criticisms, they are just mostly lost in between all this rabble. Has Rooney declined in the last 2 years? Yes for me he has, he's definitely lost a yard or two in pace and he's more sloppy in his passing compared to 3 years ago. Should Rooney's place be up for contention? Absolutely, apart from De Gea there isn't another player who should have a guaranteed starting position. Is Rooney still a valuable player for Manchester United in 2016? Yes, he is. He still has qualities of a player that we need, in terms of his positioning, finishing, general passing, set piece deliveries and experience he's a valuable player for the club. I don't need to give any aul guff about his lengthy service to the club or his leadership abilities to try and argue that and I'm certainly no 'Rooney fanboy' either, whatever the hell that is. Are there better options in Rooney's position in our squad? Maybe, but trying to come up with some alternate universe where Mkitharyan starts instead of Rooney and we run out 4-0 winners just to try and paint Rooney's assist in a poor light is utterly ridiculous.

That is a stupidly long post but I didn't want to reply to every relevant post so I just wanted to make a general overall point to cover all the major criticisms.

Great post. I thought I was not seeing what everyone else is but after last match how people still had trash to say about Rooney and that pass he made to Ibra, I realized that there are some bitter fans on here that have made up their minds regarding Rooney.

Ban

@Arytonblue great post.
Rooney hate here is sickening at times. At most times. Criticism is one thing, pure hate is another.
I had few beers to drink so I'm not able to elaborate more on thios. Somehow I read the whole of Arytonblue's post and it's a smashingn one.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Are you sure about this?

In three games he scored a goal and had two great assists, one of which basically gave us the three points in the 92 min. And there are still guys who want him to be dropped for the next game!...
I want him dropped too Nick but I don't hate him. He just doesn't offer enough across the full 90 to warrant a place over rashford or mkhi. They both would output more goals/assists I believe and still make the team more effective.

SteveJ

Scout
nick2004 said:
here are no camps. The vast majority of supporters love Rooney. The proof: his shirts sell as much as anyone's. Not five years ago, now! And yes, this is adequate proof. Money talks, bullshit walks.

nick2004

I want him dropped too Nick but I don't hate him. He just doesn't offer enough across the full 90 to warrant a place over rashford or mkhi. They both would output more goals/assists I believe and still make the team more effective.
I don't know if you hate him or not, and I don't care.

You said "Nobody here "hates" Rooney". This is definitely NOT true. There are people here who hate Rooney.

And a lot of people remind me the kind of person who says " I am not a racist but..."

Rada

Are you sure about this?

In three games he scored a goal and had two great assists, one of which basically gave us the three points in the 92 min. And there are still guys who want him to be dropped for the next game!...

You are most likely that guy who never watch a game but look at the stats like goals and assists then talks like he watched the entire game.

If you dont want Rooney dropped, you are a Rooney fan, not United fan. Simple as that.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

What on earth did I just read? :lol:

Hellboy

What on earth did I just read? :lol:
Well he has a point, never noticed any discontent re Rooney from United fans recently when he's subbed when he's been utter dross for more than 2 years. Our good form at the moment is contributing to this probably but still.