6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

I think the simple facts to face here whether or not you are pro or anti Pogba, without even talking about him positionally, performance wise, off field wise, talent wise etc etc etc.......

He is 28, probably right at his peak
It is reported he wants £400k a week, that is nearly £90m over 4 years by which point he will be 32 approaching 33
If we dont give him the contract and dont sell him, we have a player running down a contract and everyone knowing that player will leave, isnt good for the dressing room

All I ask, with the above in mind, how can anybody justify keeping him this summer?

Idxomer

Can't wait for these quotes to be paraphrased and taken out of context.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, for France and for us, he’s part of a midfield two. For Juventus, he was part of a midfield three. He’s at his best and prefers a midfield three. But he has Bruno + Grizou ahead of him respectively for club and country so he must play in the 2. Nothing more than that.

Oldyella

I think the simple facts to face here whether or not you are pro or anti Pogba, without even talking about him positionally, performance wise, off field wise, talent wise etc etc etc.......

He is 28, probably right at his peak
It is reported he wants £400k a week, that is nearly £90m over 4 years by which point he will be 32 approaching 33
If we dont give him the contract and dont sell him, we have a player running down a contract and everyone knowing that player will leave, isnt good for the dressing room

All I ask, with the above in mind, how can anybody justify keeping him this summer?
Feels like the club are between rock and hard place here. I think we will renew as we don't want to lose him on a free twice but I'm not sure whether it's the correct thing to do long, or even medium term.

El Jefe

Truth is you can't really have two players given complete freedom in a team so it becomes a choice between him and Bruno. I think all of us will be in agreement that we'd prefer Bruno to be given the freedom as he clearly produces the stats that merit it.

Pogba says he would like to score 15 goals but in truth he's not a good scorer in open play. He's had long goal droughts and has missed so many headed chances in his time here. He had the freedom once upon a time but it's Bruno's team now.

rotherham_red

I don't think these comments are that incendiary. In fact the kind of mirror what a lot of us want. A CDM to allow him to play with more freedom.
He's been playing with that freedom though. We displaced our second most productive player in Rashford for Pogba to get that freedom and he's still complaining?

Like I said before, the worst thing he ever did was go to Juve. Fergie would have broken him down to his base elements and built him back up, and only give him the freedom once he was able to utilise it for the benefit of the team. Instead, he went to Juve and got indulged to the extent that it's probably given him the impression that having a prime Pirlo, Marchisio, and Vidal in the same midfield unit is somehow the norm. He's never had to learn the basics of midfield play since his days in the reserves simply because he hasn't had to. And we're now paying the price for it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's been playing with that freedom though. We displaced our second most productive player in Rashford for Pogba to get that freedom and he's still complaining?

Like I said before, the worst thing he ever did was go to Juve. Fergie would have broken him down to his base elements and built him back up, and only give him the freedom once he was able to utilise it for the benefit of the team. Instead, he went to Juve and got indulged to the extent that it's probably given him the impression that having a prime Pirlo, Marchisio, and Vidal in the same midfield unit is somehow the norm. He's never had to learn the basics of midfield play since his days in the reserves simply because he hasn't had to. And we're now paying the price for it.
To be clear he isn't complaining. It's an interview with Vieira and Vieira says that he prefers Pogba more attacking and that he is disappointed to not see him used in that type of role for France and Manchester.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Truth is you can't really have two players given complete freedom in a team so it becomes a choice between him and Bruno. I think all of us will be in agreement that we'd prefer Bruno to be given the freedom as he clearly produces the stats that merit it.

Pogba says he would like to score 15 goals but in truth he's not a good scorer in open play. He's had long goal droughts and has missed so many headed chances in his time here. He had the freedom once upon a time but it's Bruno's team now.
While I’ve no doubt he would like complete freedom (as most offensive players would), I don’t think that’s what he’s talking about here. His role at Juve wasn’t complete freedom, he did a lot of defensive work, it’s just the balance was on the attacking end. His role on the left wing for us was similar but slightly more attacking. In the middle he obviously has much more defensive responsibility than he had at Juve, and a little more than he has at France.

There are lots of great teams that have played with two creative midfielders in the middle who are primarily offensively oriented. A few have squeezed 3 of them in. Bruno and Pogba are more well rounded than many of them too, and less egoistic.

I don’t think it’s about the balance between those two, but the overall balance of the team. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are all individualists, none of them can act as water carriers. Cavani can put in the extra work and we’ve played James a lot for that reason too, but in general there isn’t the right supporting cast for Pogba and Bruno to take centre stage.

rotherham_red

To be clear he isn't complaining. It's an interview with Vieira and Vieira says that he prefers Pogba more attacking and that he is disappointed to not see him used in that type of role for France and Manchester.
Even acknowledging it is silly though. Ole has pretty much made any and every possible concession to him and he still allows this myth to perpetuate.

Whereas previously I had some sympathy for him under Jose, that hasn't been the case for over 3 years now. He needs to knuckle down and take some responsibility.

JPRouve

Scout
Even acknowledging it is silly though. Ole has pretty much made any and every possible concession to him and he still allows this myth to perpetuate.

Whereas previously I had some sympathy for him under Jose, that hasn't been the case for over 3 years now. He needs to knuckle down and take some responsibility.
Wait you want Pogba to have a go at Vieira"s opinion? Pogba gave a diplomatic answer.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

A really good CDM and you can play 4-3-3 with Pogba in his favourite position as left CM and Bruno can play a bit deeper too.

If Pogba doesn't sign a new contract then i would sign Tielemans......4-2-3-1 would be then possible again.

rotherham_red

Wait you want Pogba to have a go at Vieira"s opinion? Pogba gave a diplomatic answer.
Not have a go, just push back on it. Saying something along the lines of,

"I can see why you think that, but I actually have been playing as a LW with a lot of freedom and minimal defensive responsibilities since the turn of the year. My manager also moved me from a defensive pivot role to the 10 when he first arrived, where I actually was able to score 15 goals in one season, but because of my injuries and the introduction of Bruno, I've had to adapt to other roles. It's normal."

That IMO, is a more diplomatic answer and something that's closer to the truth than what he actually said. What he was like at Juve is irrelevant as we don't play that system.

rotherham_red

A really good CDM and you can play 4-3-3 with Pogba in his favourite position as left CM and Bruno can play a bit deeper too.

If Pogba doesn't sign a new contract then i would sign Tielemans......4-2-3-1 would be then possible again.
Football just doesn't work that way. Pep could get away with it because he had both of his fullbacks playing inverted in midfield, allowing his nominal 8s in Silva and KDB to push forward. Other than Shaw, we don't have a fullback of that profile.

Tielemans is the right person to go for irrespective of Pogba's situation as I don't think he will ever be played as a CM in a serious match ever again here. He just doesn't have it in him to play there.

JPRouve

Scout
Not have a go, just push back on it. Saying something along the lines of,

"I can see why you think that, but I actually have been playing as a LW with a lot of freedom and minimal defensive responsibilities since the turn of the year. My manager also moved me from a defensive pivot role to the 10 when he first arrived, where I actually was able to score 15 goals in one season, but because of my injuries and the introduction of Bruno, I've had to adapt to other roles. It's normal."

That IMO, is a more diplomatic answer and something that's closer to the truth than what he actually said. What he was like at Juve is irrelevant as we don't play that system.
Instead he laughed about the scoring goal part and said that of course he would like to score 15 goals a season but that the team is the most important thing and that he enjoys playing deeper. Saying what you want him to say would be pointless because Vieira was also talking about France and Pogba barely played the roles that you mentioned in the close to 200 games that we are talking about.

rotherham_red

Instead he laughed about the scoring goal part and said that of course he would like to score 15 goals a season but that the team is the most important thing and that he enjoys playing deeper. Saying what you want him to say would be pointless because Vieira was also talking about France and Pogba barely played the roles that you mentioned in the close to 200 games that we are talking about.
But the question put to him was about Utd, no? And there was a definite shift in the position he played since January. That's 5 months - a pretty sizeable amount of time in a 9-month long season. That he was injured for around 3 of those months is neither here nor there, because as soon as he came back, he was given that LW role, which indicates to me that outside of an injury situation (like the EL final), that is where he will be played. What went on previously especially when Jose was in charge, is the past and will likely never happen again.

Also, if saying what I would have liked for him to say is pointless in relation to a question about his time at Utd, then what was the point of talking about Juve?

Anyways, it seems that I might be misconstruing what he said, if he answered in the manner you suggest in the boldened, so I'm happy to leave it be. We'll see what happens in the end, here's hoping whatever it is will ultimately be to the benefit of the club.

JPRouve

Scout
But the question put to him was about Utd, no? And there was a definite shift in the position he played since January. That's 5 months - a pretty sizeable amount of time in a 9-month long season. That he was injured for around 3 of those months is neither here nor there, because as soon as he came back, he was given that LW role, which indicates to me that outside of an injury situation (like the EL final), that is where he will be played. What went on previously especially when Jose was in charge, is the past and will likely never happen again.

Also, if saying what I would have liked for him to say is pointless in relation to a question about his time at Utd, then what was the point of talking about Juve?

Anyways, it seems that I might be misconstruing what he said, if he answered in the manner you suggest in the boldened, so I'm happy to leave it be. We'll see what happens in the end, here's hoping whatever it is will ultimately be to the benefit of the club.
No. L'Equipe asked a question to Vieira about a comment that he made before the Euro 2016 about Pogba needing to find the right balance and not think that he can win games by himself, Vieira then elaborates on what he believes that balance is.

None of the interview is about United or even France but Pogba and what Vieira thinks about him and what he should be.

Champagne Football

I'm kind of hoping he has a massive tournament to increase interest. Getting 50 million for him would go a long way to improving other areas of the team.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Statement of the obvious IMO.

In some ways these comments are pleasing, since they show Paul understands his role as part of the double pivot at Man Utd. He can't just go racing off to join attacks and leave us with a one man midfield. Particularly as our centre backs are not wonderful 1v1 defenders. He gets that and he's willing to play more cautiously in a United shirt to help the team maintain its shape.

That being said, his comments also show two things that show why we've never really seen his best over prolonged spells: 1) He doesn't really like restraining himself like our shape & squad composition requires. 2) We bought him with a clearer idea of how we would use him off field, for marketing, than how we would use him on the pitch.

Nori-

What a loser.

Great players can play in 2/3 different positions and excel at all of them. Across the front, across the back, or sometimes defence and midfield etc.

This guy has been at the club for 5 years and still talking about which position he thinks gets the best out of him. Several TOP managers have all tried to accommodate his needs and failed.

Then to add insult to injury, he has almost run down his contract and rumours are he wants £400k a week so we can have another 5 years of him and his parasite agent fleecing the club while performing at a Fulham level.

So sick of him. If he doesn't sign a reasonable contract (so we can protect his value) in the next few weeks, then I'd take as little as £30m for him this summer. Just cut our loses and get rid. He's been nothing but bad news since he joined and we will do miles better without him.

CG1010

This. He is back to his shenanigans and excuses now that he is with NT and looking for a new contract or offer from other teams. Quite disappointing after Ole literally broke the structure of the team to accomodate him and he himself said he is enjoying playing that new role.

CG1010

Statement of the obvious IMO.

In some ways these comments are pleasing, since they show Paul understands his role as part of the double pivot at Man Utd. He can't just go racing off to join attacks and leave us with a one man midfield. Particularly as our centre backs are not wonderful 1v1 defenders. He gets that and he's willing to play more cautiously in a United shirt to help the team maintain its shape.

That being said, his comments also show two things that show why we've never really seen his best over prolonged spells: 1) He doesn't really like restraining himself like our shape & squad composition requires. 2) We bought him with a clearer idea of how we would use him off field, for marketing, than how we would use him on the pitch.
Honestly he has shown much less in offensive areas than Bruno and isn't justified to play in place of him. Ole has found a neat solution by playing him in front 3. I don't think there is any other position in our team with lesser defensive responsibilities as that one.

spiriticon

Pogba knows what he has to do. He knows he has to defend and is willing to do it. It's just that he's not a very good defender, and he's an absolute menace in our penalty box. Push him upfront and he will do more wonders and give away less penalties.

That said, he is quite a hot and cold player himself. There have been games where we've pushed him up and he hasn't been able to affect it like we would want, especially against a (surprise surprise) low block side.

Idxomer

Ole has played him in a double pivot more than any other position. This year, his best form came in that position when he helped the team getting to top of the table playing there.

tjb

Always thought this partially, but I also think the pace of the leaguebplays a role too. For me, you sell him, not because he's doing anything wrong, but both parties should have a better fit elsewhere. No point having a 400k player that you have to shoehorn into the team. Doesn't matter how much quality we have, we ve deduced that Pogba isn't a premier league cm.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What a loser.

Great players can play in 2/3 different positions and excel at all of them. Across the front, across the back, or sometimes defence and midfield etc.

This guy has been at the club for 5 years and still talking about which position he thinks gets the best out of him. Several TOP managers have all tried to accommodate his needs and failed.

Then to add insult to injury, he has almost run down his contract and rumours are he wants £400k a week so we can have another 5 years of him and his parasite agent fleecing the club while performing at a Fulham level.

So sick of him. If he doesn't sign a reasonable contract (so we can protect his value) in the next few weeks, then I'd take as little as £30m for him this summer. Just cut our loses and get rid. He's been nothing but bad news since he joined and we will do miles better without him.
Have you read his comments?

Threesus

I think he can never win over the fans. Which is a shame because in years past, a player of his quality would have OT chanting his name.

I also think he should leave the club for his own sanity, if nothing else. Go to
Madrid or PSG, rack up a few league titles and CL’s and enjoy life. Our timelines are not meshing anyway and both sides have wasted time and energy.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No possible replacements on the horizon, hope we won't rush letting him go without securing absolutely top baller, or it's going to be a Matić & Fred midfield for Champions League, next season.

If he signs, Ole needs to seriously call Deschamps and finally find the Pog formula.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No possible replacements on the horizon, hope we won't rush letting him go without securing absolutely top baller, or it's going to be a Matić & Fred midfield for Champions League, next season.

If he signs, Ole needs to seriously call Deschamps and finally find the Pog formula.
Formula is simple. Play him left in 433 with top class dmc and Bruno as second mc. Too attacking? Maybe. But i would do it

Status
Not open for further replies.