Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Assist and no costly mistakes. Hope he can keep this up

youngrell

I like pressing Pogba.

Was pleased to see him sprinting about and fighting for the ball on top of his quality with the ball.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I’m not agreeing with everything that’s been said, but there is definitely a nasty tone when people criticise certain players and Pogba is one of them. It is absolutely okay to criticise players, but there is something about the way many people criticise certain players that makes me feel uncomfortable. Almost like a personal hatred, which doesn’t make sense given most of us have never met these guys.

I’m sorry I can’t give you specific examples or offer a better explanation, but it is certainly something I have noticed on this forum.

Also, just to add, why do people get so offended at the mere concept that there may be some racial undertones to some of the criticisms? It’s not like they are being called out individually, and to say with such certainty that there is nothing like this going on is daft.
I know some people have inherently racist views even if they don't know it. I also know some people are just plain nasty even if they're not racist they don't necessarily draw a line. Sometime it's just all In the name of nastiness if you will. I don't think any of it is acceptable really. The instant a topic moves away from a logical debatable state, you'll find unhealthy perspectives on pretty much any side of that topic. I appreciate that your comment was not directly aimed at me, but you quoted me so I have to say that the post I first quoted was batshit crazy, and frankly a bit unhealthy.

Valencia Shin Crosses

This is why you have Pogba, because in tight games against a tough team he can create a moment to make a difference. I always expect him to as well. The key is the overall game being up to par around those moments, and tonight I thought he was excellent in that regard. Having two shielding DM's behind him really helps negate his biggest weakness, and there are very few in the world you take over Pogba when a killer pass is there to be played going forward.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pogba has been gradually getting stronger game by game and tonight he was unplayable. His ball for our opener was superb and I felt his work rate, which he's often criticised for, was top notch. People were forgetting that he'd had no preason and COVID. Week by week he's finding his feet. I think he's going to be key for us this season.

Posh Red

I know some people have inherently racist views even if they don't know it. I also know some people are just plain nasty even if they're not racist they don't necessarily draw a line. Sometime it's just all In the name of nastiness if you will. I don't think any of it is acceptable really. The instant a topic moves away from a logical debatable state, you'll find unhealthy perspectives on pretty much any side of that topic. I appreciate that your comment was not directly aimed at me, but you quoted me so I have to say that the post I first quoted was batshit crazy, and frankly a bit unhealthy.
Yeah fair points mate and I’m not in the game of pointing the finger per say. And when people say ‘he’s only criticised because of his race/religion’, then that is of course not true or helpful either.

Good game.

I think it’s been very clear that he’s struggled with his fitness at the start of this season he’s still not there - but the manager has been using him sensibly.

playing on the left with McT and Fred in the middle is perhaps his best position.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Wow. He played like he did in large parts of his first season. More of that please. Actually think that might have been his best performance in that specific position for us. Honestly I didn't think he could do some of the things he did, but he was very involved and probably could have received the ball even more. He seemed tactically aware and didn't stop working off the ball.

Posh Red

The formation definitely suited him more today (I know people joke about catering for him but it was definitely true today). He also put a good defensive shift in. Good man management from Ole dare I say?

Ludens the Red

Thought he was very professional today. Was worried their press would kill him but he didn’t dally on the ball. He was strong despite getting hunted and kicked and he played some nice one touch stuff with Vdb in particular... now If he could just do this more than 1 in 5 that’d be grand..

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He has the speed and skill of a winger, the passing and control of a midfielder.

he’s clearly been working hard on his fitness as he looked so much lighter, faster and sharper tonight, that was pogba at his best and bodes nicely for future games.

the other big thing is he finally has some proper competition, he knows now if he’s not at his best he will get benched.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Credit were it is due, he was good tonight, hopefully being dropped has give him the kick he needed.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Hopefully we get him to sign the contract because he is fantastic player. Run and pass for the first goal was superb.

Foxbatt

when we play 4 midfield players and he doesn't have to defend he plays well.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Hopefully we get him to sign the contract because he is fantastic player. Run and pass for the first goal was superb.
Now we have so many diverse and high quality options around him, Pogba can be used in many different ways. Serious competition for his place and being on the subs bench will also hopefully fired his ego abit too.

If Pogba can be a team player like he was today and was during Ole first 10 games, I’d love him to stay at the club. Help us do very well this year and perhaps we get all or some of Haaland, Sancho and Upamecano next Summer window. We are then set to dominate for years.

But it’s all up to Pogba. I’d really love him to finally come good.

Last edited:

Khalif_20

Midfield masterclass, Paul is one of a kind.

Bit strange that the management is only now seeing his real position, which has always been left mezzala - as explained by myself in detail some 9 days ago, and by plenty of tactically educated Caf comrades long before me I'm sure.

Honestly I choose to be optimistic now and believe we'll convince him to sign a new deal. In this formation (or 3-3-1-3 while mainting the central diamond) and couple of reinforcements we'll finally be challenging for major trophies much sooner than expected.

Faetheshire86

Much better from Pogba. I liked his intensity off the ball. We've seen spurts of that, but he looked really switched on for most of the game. I don't know if it's because he is being asked to close down more in that role as apposed to being more of a screener in the 2 man midfield, or if it's just him showing a reaction to his poor start to the season.

I really don't want to see him in the double pivot anymore. If he plays it should be in a 3 or the diamond. It just suits him much better, the Greenwood goal was the epitome of that.

Brightonian

I love watching him against teams that press intensively. He's one of the least 'pressable' midfielders in world football; that combination of strength, composure and skill make him almost untouchable once the ball is under his spell. Credit to Leipzig, they knew this and they absolutely mobbed him whenever he got on the ball, so he wasn't able to actually skin anyone or break away the way he often does when pressed. But to go into so many situations one-on-two/three/four and come out still in possession of the ball opens up space and time for everyone else, and we saw that bear fruit eventually today.

He'sRaldo

I love watching him against teams that press intensively. He's one of the least 'pressable' midfielders in world football; that combination of strength, composure and skill make him almost untouchable once the ball is under his spell. Credit to Leipzig, they knew this and they absolutely mobbed him whenever he got on the ball, so he wasn't able to actually skin anyone or break away the way he often does when pressed. But to go into so many situations one-on-two/three/four and come out still in possession of the ball opens up space and time for everyone else, and we saw that bear fruit eventually today.
True, and him playing closer to the touchline helps with this. He's better when he's swarmed from just one side and there's a bit of protection from the line, than when he's closed down from everywhere including his blind side.

It's an important reason why he's harder to press at LCM, than in a double pivot.

Artorias

To be honest, he had a very good game. Passed the ball, defended a lot better and was more concentrated. Let's hope he keeps playing like that.

Faetheshire86

True, and him playing closer to the touchline helps with this. He's better when he's swarmed from just one side and there's a bit of protection from the line, than when he's closed down from everywhere including his blind side.

It's one of the reasons why he's easier to press in a double pivot than as a LCM.
You are absolutely spot on. When we played city a few years ago, I remember thinking Pogba looked like the t-rex at the end of Jurassic Park with the raptors (De Bruyne, Silva etc) circling him and nipping at his heels. They took one of his strengths and used it against him.

When he knows where the pressure is coming from however his strength and quick feet make it much less likely he will loose the ball. It's one of the reasons he looks better in that role.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hendrichs had a nightmare vs him
I thought it was really funny when his replacement came on and accidentally clattered him like Henrichs had been doing all game.

Web of Bissaka

See, he's a natural on the wing.
He has the paces, skills and trickeries to slot in there with ease, couple that with his ability in playmaking, you basically are getting a playmaking winger.

Turn him permanently into a winger?
Our CMs are already stacked anyway with 3 suitable players at the 2 CDMs roles, add in VDB there so he'll get to play more and we have more than enough. Our defense seriously need support from midfield. Pog at wings definitely is a win-win for all.

He'sRaldo

See, he's a natural on the wing.
He has the paces, skills and trickeries to slot in there with ease, couple that with his ability in playmaking, you basically are getting a playmaking winger.

Turn him permanently into a winger?
Our CMs are already stacked anyway with 3 suitable players at the 2 CDMs roles, add in VDB there so he'll get to play more and we have more than enough. Our defense seriously need support from midfield. Pog at wings definitely is a win-win for all.
It would be like Coutinho at Liverpool, but better.

But I think most managers would like him to be more central, even if he starts on the wings. Somewhat like how Grealish plays for Villa.

Status
Not open for further replies.