Paul Pogba is the best midfielder in the world

stepic

This season in the premier league alone? The 2 Silvas, Fernandinho, Wijnaldum, Jorginho. Some have gone off the boil recently, but unless the best midfielder in the world is based on a few games then yeah.
:lol:

Wij better than Pogba

The only midfielder that’s close is De Bruyne. And I wouldn’t swap Pogba for De Bruyne

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They both have the same number of goals and assists since the start of 2017/18.
Those statistics are inadequate for evaluating the total performance of a midfielder.

I think De Bruyne was the best player in the PL last season or at least was in the conversation. I can't say the same about Pogba as much as I want to.

Jib

He has to do it for a longer period of time.

de Bruyne was outstanding last season, he just hasn't been fit this year. I find Modric incredibly overrated, Ballon d'Or was a farce.
not just this season..he was poor in the world cup and especially against France ( but Pogba was brilliant )

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Ability wise he is up there, I don’t think that’s ever been in doubt. He was superb for an hour today then faded quite badly in last 30

adexkola

Supports
Didn't even start 50% of the league games and Jorginho is just laughable choice there.
Jorginho has been great for Chelsea this season. Integral to their great form earlier on in the year.

When Wijnaldum and Fernandinho have played theyve been great. I don't think they are as talented but that is another conversation.

I'm not sure what's controversial about my post. Says more about the dysfunction in our team under Mourinho, but I'm not rewritimg history.

Canagel

He will confirm it in the next 2 years. Must not be forgotten this is first time Pogba is playing in attacking set up. His whole career he played in defensive setups. Even his numbers this season are better than Juve 2015/16 numbers

Last edited:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
This season in the premier league alone? The 2 Silvas, Fernandinho, Wijnaldum, Jorginho. Some have gone off the boil recently, but unless the best midfielder in the world is based on a few games then yeah.
You're taking the piss with some of the names, he bullied Jorginho like a schoolkid at Stamford Bridge.

Your post is the most hipster post I've read on here for a while.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Jorginho has been great for Chelsea this season. Integral to their great form earlier on in the year.

When Wijnaldum and Fernandinho have played theyve been great. I don't think they are as talented but that is another conversation.

I'm not sure what's controversial about my post. Says more about the dysfunction in our team under Mourinho, but I'm not rewritimg history.
Wijnaldum and Fernandinho haven't played enough to be in conversation and I disagree regarding Jorginho. He is good player and having good season, just not at Pogba's level.

It's not as if Pogba was poor in all games under Jose. He had run of few average to poor games and then was dropped.

Jezpeza

Hes starting to play very well. Look like the player I thought we were signing. But he needs to keep playing the way he is and do it for a couple of seasons straight at least

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
not just this season..he was poor in the world cup and especially against France ( but Pogba was brilliant )
I don't quite recall his performances for Belgium, although I do cede Pogba had a good world cup.

In the PL, Pogba simply hasn't shown enough consistency to warrant being mentioned ahead of de Bruyne. We shall know soon enough if he can sustain this form in an attacking setup, he has the talent to do it. Needs to show some temperament and intensity over the course of season though.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I don't think he's the best midfielder in the premiership, so he's not the best in the world for me.

They both have the same number of goals and assists since the start of 2017/18.
That doesn't really mean much. Gerrard probably scored more than Xavi, doesn't mean shit.

cyberman

Liverpool themselves think midfield is their weakest link.
Deary me

adexkola

Supports
Wijnaldum and Fernandinho haven't played enough to be in conversation and I disagree regarding Jorginho. He is good player and having good season, just not at Pogba's level.
You think Pogba has had a better season than Jorginho so far? If so then there's nothing else to discuss on that we just disagree.

Fernandinho has played 19 games in the league. Wijnaldum has played 21. Am I missing something?

roonster09

Scout
You think Pogba has had a better season than Jorginho so far? If so then there's nothing else to discuss on that we just disagree.

Fernandinho has played 19 games in the league. Wijnaldum has played 21. Am I missing something?
My bad, I thought both played 10 games. Misread it.

Yeah, Pogba had better season than Jorginho.

Jonno

I thought in the 2nd half he faded badly and lost a lot of possession for us with poor decision making. It invited so much pressure on our defence which we need to avoid.

Amazing pass for the goal, though and an impressive overall run of form.

cyberman

It absolutely is their weakest link.

However it has well enough so far for the team currently leading the league. Wijnaldum has been their best midfielder this season. Notice I didn't say Henderson.
They have no creativity through the middle and they move the ball too slowly at times.
It looks like you've just chosen a Liverpool player because they're top of the league.
This is up there with the line of thinking that Milner was better than Pogba last year.

adexkola

Supports
They have no creativity through the middle and they move the ball too slowly at times.
It looks like you've just chosen a Liverpool player because they're top of the league.
This is up there with the line of thinking that Milner was better than Pogba last year.
But I don't think Milner was better than Pogba last year. Nor do I think Henderson (or Milner or Keita or Fabinho) is better than Pogba this year.

But this is far too many posts from me hyping up a Liverpool player.

I agree 100% with the OP.

Schneckerl

Actually up there currently. Maybe both Silvas, Eriksen, Kante, Verratti, Witsel....

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Those saying he faded must surely understand it was because Martial wasn't tracking back (because he was knackered) so Pogba took on his load defensively as well as going forward on every break?

If he was doing only his own job, he wouldn't have flagged so soon.

It was a superb effort from him today. Shat on his midfield partners for effort and work-rate, which is quite something when you consider how many forays forward he had.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I thought in the 2nd half he faded badly and lost a lot of possession for us with poor decision making. It invited so much pressure on our defence which we need to avoid.

Amazing pass for the goal, though and an impressive overall run of form.
Faded is probably a little harsh. He wasn't quite as productive in the second half but that was largely down to Spurs dominating possession more than anything else. He was forced into a role of which he isn't very effective in; that of sitting deep, closing down and generally trying to break up play. Pogba is infinitely more effective when the team on the attack, where he can dictate the tempo and play those long-raking passes. He took on his defensive duties without complaint, even though he isn't particularly good in that role.

What is more worrying is how Spurs were cutting through our entire midfield at will (in the second half). The defence was completely unprotected for 45 minutes and we were lucky not to concede. On another day we won't be so lucky.

Tarrou

If he keeps up this form until the end of the season, he'd be in with a good shout. I don't really care if he is or isn't though I fecking love him.

jeff_goldblum

Great assist but overall performance wasn't amazing. He did some daft stuff to give the ball away which contributed to the pressure we were put under towards the end. He wasn't alone in that, my frustration is that with Pogba it's not his ability that's the barrier for him, it's his decision-making

He's brilliant though and will rightly be the player we build around for years. If he'd taken one of his chances and taken the pressure off I'd have no complaints.

Mr PG

I know you're not being serious, but for the sake of this discussion, does someone like De Bruyne count? Because I don't think Pogba is better than de Bruyne.
Pogba is a better bigger talent than Debrune. The things he can do with a football are amazing. I would never trade the virus for Debrune but the gap is not huge so I can see why some would be partial to Debrune.

wolvored

I Think a 4-1-4-1 woud suit him better. With a proper DM/anchor in front of the defence he wouldnt have to track back so often. With Matic and Herrera bombing forward, we are open for the counter if we lose the ball. Neither Herrera or Matic can play a proper DM/Anchor role and thats why we struggle. We also could do with a Vidic like defender to play with Lindelof, who to be fair has come on leaps and bounds in the last few weeks, to become our best defender. Bailly in his first season seemed to be the man to do this, but looks like he will be moved on now.

If he keeps up this form until the end of the season, he'd be in with a good shout. I don't really care if he is or isn't though I fecking love him.
At least that’s a rational point of view. He’s not suddenly the best midfielder in the world based on one month.

Let’s hope he keeps it up, he’s been fantastic under OGS.

marktan

The one pass was out of this world. All in all, I thought Eriksen had the better game. He is pretty much a highlight player taking up the spot of a midfielder, like Coutinho used to do at Liverpool. Coutinho also produced lots of goals, assists and magical moments, but Liverpool often failed to control the midfield with him in their side.
Also nearly chipped Lloris by bundling his way through and had a shot that was deflected onto Lloris. True Eriksen played lots of passes, but not hard when they had 8 players around our box in the seconf half.

Don't think he's anywhere near like Coutinho, for one for us and France he can regularly play pinpoint passes from deep into the feet of runners.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Also nearly chipped Lloris by bundling his way through and had a shot that was deflected onto Lloris. True Eriksen played lots of passes, but not hard when they had 8 players around our box in the seconf half.

Don't think he's anywhere near like Coutinho, for one for us and France he can regularly play pinpoint passes from deep into the feet of runners.
For France he often plays very deep I agree

Today he was positioned very high, it looked like a 424 at times with Pogba and Rashford in the front 2 (off the ball).

Coutinho does not have the same passing range, but he also has a knack for dribbling against 3 players, shooting at sight, scoring the odd worldie from time to time and having great vision with through balls

marktan

For France he often plays very deep I agree

Today he was positioned very high, it looked like a 424 at times with Pogba and Rashford in the front 2 (off the ball).

Coutinho does not have the same passing range, but he also has a knack for dribbling against 3 players, shooting at sight, scoring the odd worldie from time to time and having great vision with through balls
Pogba can do all of that too. I think him playing up front suits us very well, he's very attack skilled and usually at the centre of any attacks we have. One reason we struggled so much under Mourinho is he was often played as a deep midfielder, which completely nullifies him if you don't have runners like Mbappe, Griezman and Giroud

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Didn't even start 50% of the league games and Jorginho is just laughable choice there.
Just another proof showing how the caf love over rating rival players while under rating ours. People throw g the likes of KDB, Fernadinho who have hardly kicked a ball this season, especially KDB.

Just repeating what they've heard somewhere. Modric himself hasn't been so hot for Madrid this season but he's still being brought up bacause people have heard he's won the balloon d'or.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Not yet. He is top 5 right now and will be in the discussion as the best with more consistency. I love watching him though and I think the rest of the world will feel this way soon. So soon he might be the best midfielder and the most watched player in the world.

roonster09

Scout
Just another proof showing how the caf love over rating rival players while under rating ours. People throw g the likes of KDB, Fernadinho who have hardly kicked a ball this season, especially KDB.

Just repeating what they've heard somewhere. Modric himself hasn't been so hot for Madrid this season but he's still being brought up bacause people have heard he's won the balloon d'or.
Tbh i misread the stat, Fernandinho played 19 games. Overall I agree with your point. I wouldn't trade him for any midfielder. There is no midfielder who can play like Pogba for this team.

SirAF

Ageist
He’s got the skillset to be the best midfielder in the world.

Coxy

Surely we should wait for him to produce this kind of form for more than just a month before we start with this kind of stuff?

Agree he has all the tools though. He's fantastic.

Imagine getting rid of Pogba and keeping Jose :lol:
This. The thread (some posts) reads like a Liverpool forum. So reactionist.

He’s great, but players like Modric still outclas him. Give him time though hopefully.