Paul Pogba player of the year 2019-2020

Ban

Team is crap.
No runners in the team.
Receives bad passes so loses the ball.
Won the world cup.
Works best as a number 10.
Worls best as a left midfielder in a midfield 2.
Cant expect him to do everything by himself.
Can't take the game by the scruff, that's not his game, he needs 2, 3 players behind to show his magic.
He isn't a complete midfielder, needs 2, 3 players behind him to show his magic.

Have I missed any?

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
I honestly think he is waaaaay overrated. He is a good player, somewhere on the same level as Carrick or Butt from what I've seen of him. I only seen him play for Utd though. Far to inconsistent to ever be up there with the likes of Keane, Scholes, Zidane ect.

sugar_kane

Utter shite on Saturday, and still we see the usual excuses for him.

The dross in the squad shouldn’t affect his ability to complete a 10 yard pass or not repeatedly fall over.

He was so woeful in the first half against Southampton it came across as deliberate sabotage at points.

It’s plain for anyone to see that he doesn’t want to be here and we should have let him go early summer and sourced a replacement

Denis79

Team is crap.
No runners in the team.
Won the world cup.
Can't take the game by the scruff, that's not his game, he needs 2, 3 players behind to show his magic.
He isn't a complete midfielder, needs 2, 3 players behind him to show his magic.

Have I missed any?
If he had Nike shoes instead of Adidas, he would stop missing his crosses.

Jimmy_Bond

Team is crap.
No runners in the team.
Won the world cup.

Have I missed any?
Should be highest paid player.

Neville and Souness don't say nice things about him.

Jose wouldn't let him drive his Rolls Royce home from Burnley.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I honestly think he is waaaaay overrated. He is a good player, somewhere on the same level as Carrick or Butt from what I've seen of him. I only seen him play for Utd though. Far to inconsistent to ever be up there with the likes of Keane, Scholes, Zidane ect.
He’s not on the same level as either of those for me. Both Carrick and to a lesser extent Butt, would be comfortably our best CMs if they played now.

Pogba has so much ability, just unable to use it in the best way. Butt was a limited player but made the absolute best of what he had and worked his backside off.

Eddy_JukeZ

Utter shite on Saturday, and still we see the usual excuses for him.

The dross in the squad shouldn’t affect his ability to complete a 10 yard pass or not repeatedly fall over.

He was so woeful in the first half against Southampton it came across as deliberate sabotage at points.

It’s plain for anyone to see that he doesn’t want to be here and we should have let him go early summer and sourced a replacement
His 1st half was indeed that terrible.

I don't think I've ever seen a player lose the ball 3 times in the span of 30 seconds.

I'm tired of the excuses.

He doesn't need 10 other world class players to play just decent. His 1st half performance was a disgrace.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s not on the same level as either of those for me. Both Carrick and to a lesser extent Butt, would be comfortably our best CMs if they played now.

Pogba has so much ability, just unable to use it in the best way. Butt was a limited player but made the absolute best of what he had and worked his backside off.
Was thinking the same about Darren Fletcher (co-commentator on BT sport) during the match on Saturday. He hadn’t a quarter of Pogba’s skill or physical advantage but he never put in a performance like that. He had some professional pride.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Was thinking the same about Darren Fletcher (co-commentator on BT sport) during the match on Saturday. He hadn’t a quarter of Pogba’s skill or physical advantage but he never put in a performance like that. He had some professional pride.
Who's going to break it to westmeath?

dove

Pogba is definitely a big problem. He should do much more and if he was playing for Arsenal or Chelsea, we wouldn't stop laughing and posting gifs. He loses the ball way too much, always slows down the build up as he feels he must dribble past at least 1 player when he receives the ball and his end product is very much hit and miss most of the time. One the other hand he clearly cannot play in midfield 2 (unless he has Kante alongside) and he should not be played here, it's on the manager. He is still the best out of all our crap midfielders but it's hardly a compliment.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Who's going to break it to westmeath?
And don’t fecking tell me it’s a different DF!!! Was watching in crowded pub so didn’t hear him talk. Just saw the name on the screen. Ah well, my point remains, DF > PP (and it’s not even close)

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Ole was wrong to keep him. Should have let him go when he was kicking up a fuss and signed a replacement.
I don't think for a second that it was Ole's decision to make. Adidas point-blank told Woodward that he'd need to sign a star brand if he lets Pogba go, or sponsorship is out. And no world star would sign for United, so Pogba had to stay to keep the sponsorships. And as long as Pogba stayed - Woody didn't want to spend the money we needed, so we missed a great chance to sign Bruno Fernandes and now - here we are. What Pogba is and isn't wasn't any secret to anybody in the summer. It was obvious we needed to buy AMF and DMF but neither of them were bought. Now - here we are, posed to finish 8th or 9th, probably.

Lee565

I want to criticise him for having to have things perfect around him to play well but cant ignore the fact that he has performed great else where and players keep coming to United off the back of great seasons and then flop, it seems like the only ones that prosper are defensive players, big lumps, kick and run type players and grafters but players like Sanchez, depay, mata, di Maria, mkhitaryan, van Persie, martial, pogba, fred all have flopped, even herrera looked good at first with his creativity and looking like good goal threat from midfield but was eventually turned into nothing but a defensive grafter .

Since fergie left we have not had a high quality modern attacking coach, if we had a coach like that and pogba was still failing then I would question if he could do better for us.

Last edited:

ash_86

4th best in chances created playing deep. Not shabby.

DickDastardly

Didnt see the game, so not dropped
Matter of time before Guendouzi replaces him in the France NT for good.

The way the kid played vs Tottenham was sublime.
The opposite of what Paul Pogba plays. He was quick on the ball, quick off the ball, ran circles around the tottehnam midfield, never for a second did he break into a walk.

Plays with heart. Energetic. Erratic at times, but i'll take erratic over PP lethargic any day of the week.

dave1956

I would say that he is playing as if he does not want to be here. If the manager or senior management are considering to build a team around him that would be a serious error of judgement.
Nothing I see on the field indicates that he is a leader, on the contrary his performances are fickle, ok., when the play is going well but when it is time to turn up the sleeves and put a shift in he fades into the back ground.

The Siege

Even by the 'Oh he's a creative maverick, so he plays risky football' standards, he loses the ball in important positions far too much. He leaves the defense in a tricky situation far too often.

In Rainbows

Was hoping Real Madrid would come in late last night with an offer we couldn't refuse for PP, ah well, counting the seconds till the January window opens now.
You would set back our rebuild by another year (maybe longer) if that happened. Why wish for that? We need Champions League football in order to be able to get Sancho who solves a major problem in our team. We haven't replaced Fellaini or Herrera and you want us to lose Pogba on top of that?

Jimmy_Bond

I don't think for a second that it was Ole's decision to make. Adidas point-blank told Woodward that he'd need to sign a star brand if he lets Pogba go, or sponsorship is out. And no world star would sign for United, so Pogba had to stay to keep the sponsorships. And as long as Pogba stayed - Woody didn't want to spend the money we needed, so we missed a great chance to sign Bruno Fernandes and now - here we are. What Pogba is and isn't wasn't any secret to anybody in the summer. It was obvious we needed to buy AMF and DMF but neither of them were bought. Now - here we are, posed to finish 8th or 9th, probably.
You're possibly right. Perhaps explains the Dybala deal as well, is he Adidas? Maybe if he'd have joined we would have sold Pogba, and really left the midfield thin on the ground.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
They didn't want to pay anything like what we wanted.
They couldn't because of FFP. NOt this year anyways. This year they needed to try and replace CR7 so they blew the budget on Hazard.Next year may be a different story. Especially if Real Madrid struggles again this year. Their fans will be calling for a new "galactico" and Pogba will likely become their #1 target...

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
You would set back our rebuild by another year (maybe longer) if that happened. Why wish for that? We need Champions League football in order to be able to get Sancho who solves a major problem in our team. We haven't replaced Fellaini or Herrera and you want us to lose Pogba on top of that?
Because he obviously doesn't want to be at the club anymore, if he ever did, he came out with all that well documented crap at the end of last season, said nothing pre-season when his agent was shit-stirring big style, and then stood back and let his brother run his mouth off on numerous occasions since the season started, he's just not worth the hassle.

85% of the fans on this forum thought Fellaini was crap, and Mark Noble's bitch takes being an average midfielder to a different level so they shouldn't really take much replacing, and anyhow i'd have thunk Scot McTominay had already replaced Herrera, the kid knows his limitations and is well on the way to becoming a key part of our midfield going forward, stick James Garner in there, sign an experienced pro with still miles in the tank to guide them and we're ready to go.

Classical Mechanic

They couldn't because of FFP. NOt this year anyways. This year they needed to try and replace CR7 so they blew the budget on Hazard.Next year may be a different story. Especially if Real Madrid struggles again this year. Their fans will be calling for a new "galactico" and Pogba will likely become their #1 target...
I doubt they will be offering real money for Pogba next summer either because Perez is supposed to not rate him. If Zidane gets sacked (likely) I don't see them being in for him in any serious way.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He wouldn't cut it at City. He holds the ball too long. Pep want's quick passing and moving as well as midfielders who work hard to win the ball back. Pogba doesn't do any of this...
You seriously think he'd play the same way for Pep ? I highly highly doubt that. Pogba isn't stupid, he would adapt his game.

fergiesarmy1

Don’t think many of their fans wanted him this summer, another mediocre season at united and the only thing galactico about him will be his ego still.

DickDastardly

You seriously think he'd play the same way for Pep ? I highly highly doubt that. Pogba isn't stupid, he would adapt his game.
You overestimate people's ability to change.

We are creatures of habit.

He's a footballer, not an educated man.
Even highly intelligent, educated men seldom change. It takes a lot of work to change the way you think, change your habits, even the small things take time, and often - you need help changing, that's what pshychotherapy is there for.

I'm not saying PP is stupid.

But i doubt he could change his game. Or his behaviour. His persona on the field.

He's a grown man. A father. He has built his persona.
What you see is what you get.

And i agree with the poster above, i doubt he would cut it in Pep's footballing philoshophy.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You overestimate people's ability to change.

We are creatures of habit.

He's a footballer, not an educated man.
Even highly intelligent, educated men seldom change. It takes a lot of work to change the way you think, change your habits, even the small things take time, and often - you need help changing, that's what pshychotherapy is there for.

I'm not saying PP is stupid.

But i doubt he could change his game. Or his behaviour. His persona on the field.

He's a grown man. A father. He has built his persona.
What you see is what you get.

And i agree with the poster above, i doubt he would cut it in Pep's footballing philoshophy.
I have seen it time and time again, footballers who change lot of their game under the right managers and circumstances. Footballers olders and less talented than Pogba. Pogba shows that for France and showed at Juventus. No reason to think he wouldn't show it for Guardiola either