Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
No it doesn't, not to the extent that fans make out at least "this player shouldn't be earning this amount" reeks of jealousy & contempt, and our wage structure is absolutely fine for a club our size.
We're a big club, we pay big wages to big name stars and since Ole's turned the squad around we've actually reduced our overall wage bill while massively improving the squad.
A CDM wasn't affordable not because of the wages, but because the Glazers are leeches who take more out than they put in.

Fans care more about the possibility of Pogba earning 400k+ a week when we've got 4th choice players who will play 90mins of football in the span of 9 months earning 60-80k a week (Mata, Jones, Heaton etc) says it all quite frankly, if you want to trim the fat then there's much more urgent issues than someone of Pogba's calibre getting a pay rise.
I agree with you on Pogba, I don't mind Pogba earning that much too much even though I think it should be reasonably relative to other stars in the PL. The Mata, Jones, Martial's, Lingard's, it's just a waste.

I do think if we were able to have the poorer players on more reasonable wages and hence they were more easier to sell, we could have done more business despite the Glazer's.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I guarantee Agent Bruno is pushing for this as well, the two appear to have become very good friends. Then again so is probably the rest of the team, just look at what they did when they conviced Cavani to extend for a year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Never understood why fans care about salaries, they all get paid a ridiculous amount.
They don't even get paid ridiculous amounts. I will always tell people to look at the size of the industry and the fact that footballers are the ones creating value, no one else.

Camilo

He's a great player who's been let down by crap signings and management since he's been here. We've finally got a chance to compete now. The only thing he's more likely to win in Spain or France is a league title, so I reckon he'll stay... Too much to lose in leaving - United are a team on the up, it's a daft time to leave.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I agree with you on Pogba, I don't mind Pogba earning that much too much even though I think it should be reasonably relative to other stars in the PL. The Mata, Jones, Martial's, Lingard's, it's just a waste.

I do think if we were able to have the poorer players on more reasonable wages and hence they were more easier to sell, we could have done more business despite the Glazer's.
I agree but how do we fans know that? The way wages are reported for football is so stupid as they aren't reported in same way.

Also timing is key, I mean when the contract was signed. Players signing contract in 2021 shouldn't be compared with players who signed contract 3-4 years ago, when the other players sign new contract they will get big raise too.

OleBoiii

I'm all for giving him an extension if:

1. He doesn't break our wage structure.
2. The contract isn't long(5-6 years).

Even if he has stepped up in 2021, he's is no longer as important to us as he used to be. We have multiple world class players in the squad now. Ideally I'd like us to keep him, but it's not like the team falls apart without him anymore. It's not like in 2019 when we had no Bruno, Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho and Greenwood hadn't started a PL game yet. The circumstances have changed a lot.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Let's be clear - nobody knows how much these guys earn week to week.

Speak to any legal professional who's had experience with footballing contracts even at a lower level like League 1 and you'll soon understand just how misinformed it gets reported in the media.
All we know is a reported figure that is made up of each player's individual circumstances such as sponsorships, image rights, clauses, bonuses, fines etc. Just because Player x gets a 'reported' salary of 180k a week doesn't mean that he actually earns 180k every week. He could actually earn closer to 120k if his contract is made up of performance based bonuses and he's in a drought or injured for example. Or he could have a League winning clause, or Team of the Year/Golden boot clause etc so he actually earns closer to 80/90k week by week but he's banking on winning an award at the end of the year to get his bonus.

Feck the wages, none of us know, it's not our money, and it's really not that important as a fan to care.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I agree but how do we fans know that? The way wages are reported for football is so stupid as they aren't reported in same way.

Also timing is key, I mean when the contract was signed. Players signing contract in 2021 shouldn't be compared with players who signed contract 3-4 years ago, when the other players sign new contract they will get big raise too.
We probably don't know the exact figure, but I do think we have reasonable indicators by some of the better journalists out there. It arent throw-away figures I'd say.

Fluctuation0161

He's a goner, i think he's tired of the iffy nature of playing for us. One second substandard players are all over the place, the next moment poor coaches are Then the media blame him for everything and some fans just dont like him. It probably amazes him that he can play so well and still not have crazy fanfare.

After he leaves, we're going to be in trouble. We're going to nees 2 midfielders who can pass the ball. I mean, really pass the damn thing and we're also going to need another winger. Playing forwards in the wings is nice and cute but to win we're going to need real widemen who can play wel through the phases and defend well.
We won't need another winger but we will need 2 midfielders if he leaves.

Redfrog

I think he causes more problems than he solves for this United team. Would prefer to let him leave. But I have trust in Ole eventually making it work if he signs.

At worst, it would mean a transfer fee if he does later decide to go.
We can always debate about his position sure but with Bruno, he is our most creative player. He already has 7 assists in the league. You don’t let a player like that leave, it’s very difficult to replace.
I’ll play him in the double pivot against easier opponents and on the left in harder games.

OmarUnited4ever

It will be good if he renews and becomes a part of the New Man United that will and should be challenging for trophies.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
They don't even get paid ridiculous amounts. I will always tell people to look at the size of the industry and the fact that footballers are the ones creating value, no one else.
Oh absolutely I agree, but I don't understand why any normal fan would care about the clubs accounts as if any of us have any idea.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We probably don't know the exact figure, but I do think we have reasonable indicators by some of the better journalists out there. It arent throw-away figures I'd say.
It is a throw away figures when for one player the base salary is reported and for other player all possible bonuses are included when reporting wages.

In most cases people don't even read the article properly, when TAA got new contract after few games, it was reported he will earn at least 40K per week. When Williams signed contract, it was reported he will earn upto 65K per week. If you read the article carefully, it says minimum for TAA is 40K, maximum for Williams is 65K (if he reaches all possible bonuses). Some twitter account reports TAA earns 40K, Williams earns 65K and everyone follows it like a sheep.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It influences how much the club can spend on other players and if it isn't reasonable within the wage structure, the wage structure might get worse.

Which might be why a CDM wasnt affordable for exame because some of our average players are on stupidly high wages and very difficult to offload. Hence why there is still a big hole in a team that could challenge for all the trophies otherwise.

It isn't that crazy.

Hi there. I work in business. Your comment is incorrect

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Does that mean that he believes in a side with Ronnie driving them on? If so, great!
a side with a focused Pogba can only be a better team.

I had wanted to sell because I thought that he wanted to leave, especially when zidane was still at RM. but if his head is in the game brilliant, just get a number 6 to solidify that middle

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I was explaining this to a mate there a few months ago. I was telling him to me Pogba just hasnt felt like a United player to me in that since he re-joined its seemed like he wanted to leave. I think he is a top player but I havent been able to enjoy him because of the constant speculation and because of who is agent is and because he left before., That all has changed this season and especially since yesterday I just get the feeling he is really enjoying being a United player, he is enjoying the higher quality team mates he has now. I think he may sign a new deal.

JPRouve

Scout
Oh absolutely I agree, but I don't understand why any normal fan would care about the clubs accounts as if any of us have any idea.
I care about it because I have a strange interest in accounting and budgeting. :nervous:

Dan_F

Even if he has stepped up in 2021, he's is no longer as important to us as he used to be. We have multiple world class players in the squad now. Ideally I'd like us to keep him, but it's not like the team falls apart without him anymore. It's not like in 2019 when we had no Bruno, Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho and Greenwood hadn't started a PL game yet. The circumstances have changed a lot.
It’ll absolutely be a five year contract. I would imagine one of the most important things when signing contracts in your late twenties is to extend that for as long as possible. Let’s say he moves at 31. He won’t get anywhere near £400k a week without moving to a money league.

AFC NimbleThumb

Never understood why fans care about salaries, they all get paid a ridiculous amount.
Because it gives fans another stick to beat them with, you go on to talk about fringe players in your next post so I won’t echo you.
It influences how much the club can spend on other players and if it isn't reasonable within the wage structure, the wage structure might get worse.

Which might be why a CDM wasnt affordable for exame because some of our average players are on stupidly high wages and very difficult to offload. Hence why there is still a big hole in a team that could challenge for all the trophies otherwise.

It isn't that crazy.
@villain couldn’t have said it better in his response post. The faux outrage whilst players who have provided far less for far longer earn on the fringes is illuminating.

Align that with the fact most reported wages are either inflated &/or don’t address incentives any we don’t really know exactly what they earn anyway.

When Football Leaks revealed Pogba’s salary most on here we’re shocked as the press reports had led posters to believe he was on far more. Pogba receiving a deserved pay increase is not the reason we don’t have a CDM, in fact I wouldn’t even blame the players on the fringes. The club could handle another transfer, scapegoating players about their salaries is nonsensical.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Paying high quality players big salaries isn't a problem, paying many mediocre players above average salaries and constantly renewing their contracts is.

R'hllor

Oh noes, racists, cnuts and cowards hiding their hate behind his agent are fuming now, good shit.

Pogba never bothered me this or that way but people from day one expected him to put whole bunch of useless shit on his back and carry them, winning shit on his own, which is just pure madness. Whole bust with JM just made things worse specially in minds of JM acolytes.

Think, circus and how it follows Pogba and his agent argument is the best one, while in the same time majority of this forum want Haaland. We also could see clear double standards this summer in media when it comes to Pogba and his circus vs Kane situation. Just come out and say how you cant stand his guts, for whatever reason.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
His form in general under Ole has been brilliant

18/19 - best goal scoring form of his career during Ole's caretaker period

19/20 - a write off of a season for him due to injury

20/21 - brilliant taking us to top of the table until injury (again) and then brilliant again in a new LW role

21/22 - 7 assists in the opening 4 games

It would be a blow to lose him now and with Sancho, Varane, Ronaldo coming in along with the likes of Bruno, Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood already here Pogba just looks at place quality wise now as oppose to be surrounded by Smalling, Jones, Lukaku, etc previously

CG1010

Does that mean that he believes in a side with Ronnie driving them on? If so, great!
a side with a focused Pogba can only be a better team.

I had wanted to sell because I thought that he wanted to leave, especially when zidane was still at RM. but if his head is in the game brilliant, just get a number 6 to solidify that middle
I am in the same position. I have changed from indifferent (or leaning towards selling him) to praying that he stays and plays the way he has been. The guy has got more assists in the four matches of this season than combined assists in the last two seasons.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It is a throw away figures when for one player the base salary is reported and for other player all possible bonuses are included when reporting wages.

In most cases people don't even read the article properly, when TAA got new contract after few games, it was reported he will earn at least 40K per week. When Williams signed contract, it was reported he will earn upto 65K per week. If you read the article carefully, it says minimum for TAA is 40K, maximum for Williams is 65K (if he reaches all possible bonuses). Some twitter account reports TAA earns 40K, Williams earns 65K and everyone follows it like a sheep.
This does happen, and this is an example of how it can go wrong. But to then throw it away like nothing can be said on salaries when it comes to the club's budget is one step further.

Especially considering how much of the turnover actually goes toward player salaries.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Yes, I am one of only 8 people in business in the world.

The bigger point being: Your comment on players wages and transfers is incorrect
At least try and give an argument, this is just silly.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Agreed.

I wonder what Pogba thinks though. Does he like being the big star of the team or does he more prefer to be a bit more in the shadows?

JPRouve

Scout
At least try and give an argument, this is just silly.
Your conclusion is very difficult to support. What makes you think that United has holes because some players allegedly have stupidly high wages? All teams have holes whether their players are cheap or expensive, it's a function of scarcity.

Wilt

Hi there. I work in business. Your comment is incorrect
I don’t get what’s incorrect about pointing out that it‘s difficult to offload some of our players because they’re on ridiculously high wages?