Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
@Random Task

That came as a result of an interview in 2018 that had resurfaced in recent days. Pasting the relevant section below:

In an interview with Canal+, the France international said: "I'm sure that I wouldn't play club football at the Parc des Princes.

"I'm not attracted to that because my father and mother were fans of Marseille so Paris doesn't really fit into my plans."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/pogba-psg-transfer-rule-out-24610217

Suffice to say as depicted in the banner the fans erected, they were not too happy with those comments.

Granted, fans are fickle and time can change things, but I honestly just don't see Pogba to PSG happening right now or any time for that matter, but of course I can't say it with any certainty, but based on that I'm more inclined to accept that reality, than the constant easy rumor mill that he is on his way to PSG.

His dream was always Real Madrid if I recall, and who knows how they will be come next summer. So if I were him, and I REALLY, wanted out of United, I'd run my contract down and see how things look next summer.

Still, I think he renews, maybe not the most likely option, more a hopeful one, but the above would be his best bet.

The clubs best best would be that we can sell him now for a decent fee and put everything behind us.

The fairytale is he renews to show his commitment, with the same wages, or a little more, whatever that is, I've never really been one to get bogged down about wages, and he starts to show the consistency we expect as fans, and the club and he expects of himself I'm sure.

Long speech again, apologies.
I wouldn't buy into that statement too much as it could have been said tongue in cheek. Context is everything and all that.

Pogba would sell his gran and her dog for a move to PSG if Raiola is to be believed.

SirAnderson

I wouldn't buy into that statement too much as it could have been said tongue in cheek. Context is everything and all that.

Pogba would sell his gran and her dog for a move to PSG if Raiola is to be believed.
And there in lies the issue. Raiola is a cnut, and you can't trust a word that comes out of his mouth.

As I said, the evidence for me points more to him not fancying PSG move, than him wanting it.

All the links just smack of your typical tabloid bs that comes up every summer for Man Utd transfers both in and out. Add to the fact that we talking about Pogba, a divisive figure among fans, and that's a "journalists" wet dream for clicks.

At best its Raiola trying to use it as a ploy to get a better deal for his player, at worst, he is trying to put pressure on PSG to make an offer.
*You can swap worse or best between the 2 depending on which side of the Pogba debate you stand, mind you.

End of the day, I am all for Muppets drinking the koolaid when we getting giddy for a player we want, but let's not drink everything the media spouts when it comes to Pogba matters, as there is clearly a deliberate effort to play on fans fickle views for their benefit, whether journalists or that fat cnut.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Some absolute gutter shit fans of this forum. Get behind our players and our team ffs.

Giggsy13

I think there are two sides to this thread: the over the top Pogba haters who'll hate anything he does and the Pogba fan boys/girls who will make ridiculous statements like "he's our best player", "world class" etc etc. Both groups are out to lunch. Pogba is a useful player with flaws who is looking to get paid way above his market value. I'd be perfectly fine keeping him, but wouldn't be too bothered if he ultimately left since there are enough suitable replacements that may add more balance to our squad.

ghagua

Why dont Madrid and Juve want him?
Madrid is too smart to sign him. They never bothered when they had the money and won't try if he is a free agent next summer. Juventus will be lining up to sign him on a free contract. They are not going to come and pay a fee for him.

SirAnderson

Madrid is too smart to sign him. They never bothered when they had the money and won't try if he is a free agent next summer. Juventus will be lining up to sign him on a free contract. They are not going to come and pay a fee for him.
I think they did try to get him when Jose was around, but with the long contract he still had, Man Utd dug their heels in and didn't budge.
But as time went by things went pear shape at RM and made that option no longer viable.

AFC NimbleThumb

Some absolute gutter shit fans of this forum. Get behind our players and our team ffs.
The case with Pogba has always been a rather vocal group of ‘fans’ have never been able to fathom the guy might want to be here so they critique the most random things.

Some idiot was say he was carried to every trophy he’s ever won earlier, it’s truly bizarre.

croadyman

I agree with you, but the problem here is that there is a possibility we don't receive a good enough offer. When you count his wages along with a transfer and agent fee in a situation where the other club can sign him for free in 6 months time we can easily find ourselves in a situation where PSG will go for no more than 40 million € or even less. There is also a chance they might wait for a year.
They know we also probably need money for further investments in the team and midfield position needs to be sorted with Pogba going or not so they will definitely try to lowball us.

I think we should try to offload other players like Lingard, Bailly, even Martial under condition there is a good enough offer and go for a midfielder because we need one regardless of Pogba going or not.

In any case, the worst case scenario for me is also +400k contract. Our transfer dealings this summer give me optimism we will handle the situation well whatever scenario might occur going forward with Pogba.
You have absolutely nailed it with the below statement, however also can understand people who have valid concerns about just how much effort he will put in if he's leaving on a free at the end of the season.

I think we should try to offload other players like Lingard, Bailly, even Martial under condition there is a good enough offer and go for a midfielder because we need one regardless of Pogba going or not.

clarkydaz

It feels like Zidane wanted him more than Madrid did. When they want a player, the world knows it. Also the underwhelming feeling he is staying as nobody will pay for him where he wants to go

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
IMO That sounds like Riola putting a story out to make Utd take note and consider the most damaging outcome possible if they don’t offer enough to get Pogba to agree to a further contract.
It’s Pogba’s representative saying that Pogba will be quite happy to play for Utd’s most bitter rivals and Utd will now have to consider the national and international backlash from their supporters if they allow it to happen.
Liverpool won’t sign him but they’ll be laughing their cocks off - and that isn’t funny.
Pogba is outrageous - Raiola offered Pogba to City not long ago and, while City weren’t interested, the fact remains that he wouldn’t have done that if Pogba wasn’t happy to go to City.

In short; IMO The headline means nothing other than that team Pogba need a counterbalance to hedge their bets in their negotiations with PSG and, with that in mind, they are looking to use every dirty trick to strong-arm a better deal out of Utd so that they don’t get cornered into taking less than the maximum possible returns from PSG.

I could be wrong but there’s a pattern of behaviour becoming evident and it’s all pointing in one direction.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
IMO That sounds like Riola putting a story out to make Utd take note and consider the most damaging outcome possible if they don’t offer enough to get Pogba to agree to a further contract.
It’s Pogba’s representative saying that Pogba will be quite happy to play for Utd’s most bitter rivals and Utd will now have to consider the national and international backlash from their supporters if they allow it to happen.
Liverpool won’t sign him but they’ll be laughing their cocks off - and that isn’t funny.
Pogba is outrageous - Raiola offered Pogba to City not long ago and, while City weren’t interested, the fact remains that he wouldn’t have done that if Pogba wasn’t happy to go to City.

In short; IMO The headline means nothing other than that team Pogba need a counterbalance to hedge their bets in their negotiations with PSG and, with that in mind, they are looking to use every dirty trick to strong-arm a better deal out of Utd so that they don’t get cornered into taking less than the maximum possible returns from PSG.

I could be wrong but there’s a pattern of behaviour becoming evident and it’s all pointing in one direction.
Its Liverpool Echo. Doubt Riola has even heard about them

Crustanoid

If he doesn’t go he will be a valuable bench impact player. We may as well keep him to come on and change games. Aside from that we need to get our working first XI system firing on all cylinders. Which does not include pogba

OrcaFat

All good points, and your perception is your own and therefore legitimate. I don't see an agenda from you, in other words; you seem thoughtful and measured. I also agree that most opinions are just that: opinions. In Pogba's case, however, it's become an agenda. Or rather, it began as an agenda by a few of our detractors and rivals and was then, over time, thoughtlessly adopted by so many more that it became an unexamined narrative, a kind of orthodoxy.

But also, here's the thing: I genuinely don't see the on-field issue(s) with Pogba. He might get caught dwelling on the ball a few times a season (who doesn't?), he might have a few defensive lapses, but overall, I love to watch him play, his grace and his movement, his athleticism, his technical brilliance, his defence-splitting passes, his work with the ball in tight spaces, all of it. For me, you don't discard a player of his kind of generational talent because you can't fit him into the system; you tweak the system to fit him in, find the players who will bring out the best of him.

You might think this simplistic, but he is literally the type of player I watch football for, so when a player like that plays for United, I'm doubly invested in him staying. I know this part isn't your angle, and I respect that, but I don't believe the media narrative at all. If he was as toxic as they say, his teammates wouldn't be so openly supportive of him. Within the game, he seems universally loved. I honestly do think we've been duped by a kind of snowballing narrative begun by our rivals and by hostile pundits with Liverpool ties, all of whom were terrified of our return to prominence when Pogba came back to us. The high cost of the transfer only gave them more grist for their mill, ammunition with which to ridicule and therefore undermine us and him. Over time, countless new voices have been added via media punditry and social media, but for me, the vast majority of those voices are simply repeating and amplifying a false narrative. It's been actually painful for me to see it all play out. We've been played. And Pogba if he goes will be going partly because we fans didn't rally around in sufficient numbers. Note: partly. It'll be one element of a complex situation, but any player will be affected by a sense that a significant number of his own club's fans are okay with seeing him go. I guess what I'm saying is I wish more of us had said from the start that we're not okay with seeing him go.
That was very genuine and heartfelt.

I don’t know how many people really buy into the shite peddled by the unscrupulous among our media but hopefully it’s actually fewer people than you think - a mouthy minority. I’d like to think Pogba ignores those sort of people anyway. I don’t know the truth but Pogba does and so do the people that matter.

I alluded to this idea in another post somewhere: the planets (in terms of the players coming into the squad around him) are potentially aligning for him; could be his best year for us. I agree he is a pleasure to watch sometimes and I’d love it if he proved me and the other doubters wrong.

Juanuzayne

Well if he doesn’t go this summer, you can count on him performing at a very high level to either get a lucrative contract from us or to get offers from other teams in Jan or next summer. The team should at least benefit from that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It will be feckin stupid to lose him for free twice and not winning the league. So hope this decision pays off.

Fooza

The board will cave and give him a big contract so he doesn't go on a free. Pretty obvious Pogba and his greedy agent just want more money and they ain't in a lose lose situation

Either get more money, or move on next year for that money as they won't be any fee involved.

He'll sign a contract.

Jam

The man has won a world cup & played in Champions League Finals whilst being rather successful throughout his career.

We’re ‘fans’ typing away on a forum talking about elite mentalities, calm down lad.
By that merit we can’t talk or criticise about any semi-pro onwards players?

Are observers not allowed opinion because we don’t have comparable traits?

Where did I even begin to compare my footballing abilities, or mentality with Pogba’s? I wasn’t I was comparing Pogba’s mentality to Fernandes’ - do you think they aren’t comparable? Looking at the past season and a half who do you think has gave more to the club?

I think I must have missed the World Cup final that United played in, which tournament was that? Hell I don’t even see Pogba playing in our last Champion’s League finals!

Marcus

If I were Pogba, I would sign. You have no higher profile at a club than at United (social media heaven); new WC players have joined (more media spotlight and chance to win trophies); financial stability (barring state-sponsored clubs); best mates are there; no need to uproot. Just pushing for higher wages.

If I were United's decision - makers I would sell though.

I am 100% certain Pogba will stay. Going to PSG in a lesser league would be a massive step down.

pav1790

Lewandowski had a very strong final season for Dortmund while letting his contract run out.
I invite you to appreciate the difference in output/performances between Pogba and Lewandowski, and while you are at it - the difference between United and Dortmund.

Strelok

Even if the action of a player would damage the club not only financially but also the club's prestige?

We have to blindly support all our players regardless of their action, that's your point? This is one of the biggest nonsenses I've come across here.

pav1790

Even if the action of a player would damage the club not only financially but also the club's prestige?

We have to blindly support all our players regardless of their action, that's your point? This is one of the biggest nonsenses I've come across here.
And I don't like this dichotomy. I will still wish Pogba to do well if he takes to the pitch in united colors. Not once would I will a united player or manager to fail. And I am not doing that. He's a great player that would work in a different club, not our club. Get him out so we can all move on. We let Becks, Ruud and Ronaldo go FFS. Pogba can't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Threesus

Is anybody on Liverpool above 250k? Can’t imagine them giving out 400k/week contracts.

Klopp would have made us a perennial contender with our resources, man. Yet we had to watch him give the dippers their first league title in forever.

What does adult disneyland mean, woody?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let's just sell him.
Agree. I dont think deserves a raise nor can we afford to let him leave on a free. Ideally he'd stay on the same wages and stay but if he doesn't want to, we'd be fools to increase his salary or let him play for another year and walk away. And if nobody buys him, he can sit in the stands and waste a full year of his career.

Strelok

And I don't like this dichotomy. I will still wish Pogba to do well if he takes to the pitch in united colors. Not once would I will a united player or manager to fail. And I am not doing that. He's a great player that would work in a different club, not our club. Get him out so we can all move on. We let Becks, Ruud and Ronaldo go FFS. Pogba can't even be mentioned in the same sentence.
I'd even wish him all the best whether he'd leave or stay. But that doesn't exclude him or anyone from fair criticism. We don't want to be those dippers who supported Suarez back then do we?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It looks like no one is paying him what he wants this summer and, more generally, clubs are not really keen to bid for him either.
His best bet is to leave on a free I guess.

meamth

Well, I'm just hoping agent Varane, Bruno, and Rashford is working hard daily to convince him to stay.

I want to see Pogba alongside Sancho, Shaw, Cavani, Maguire, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Varane, and Bruno in our 21/22 season. That thought alone makes me excited for the new season.

dinostar77

Agreed. He's going to leave on a free transfer to madrid next summer as thats where he really wants to go. Madrid will sign Mbappe by next summer and it wouldnt suprise me if Mbappe asked for Pogba to be signed as a condition of his transfer. They have a good relationship on the pitch for France.

Speaking of Mbappe at least he had the decency to be honest with PSG and tell them he wasn't going to sign a new deal and that the club should sell him this summer so they get some money for him. Pogba wouldn't do that.

Every summer its the same circus with Pogba. Like others have posted on here, he should be given an ultimatum. Sign by date x or your getting sold. Refuse to go and you can rot in the reserves. But Ole and Utd are too weak to do that.

Vanrouge

That was very genuine and heartfelt.

I don’t know how many people really buy into the shite peddled by the unscrupulous among our media but hopefully it’s actually fewer people than you think - a mouthy minority. I’d like to think Pogba ignores those sort of people anyway. I don’t know the truth but Pogba does and so do the people that matter.

I alluded to this idea in another post somewhere: the planets (in terms of the players coming into the squad around him) are potentially aligning for him; could be his best year for us. I agree he is a pleasure to watch sometimes and I’d love it if he proved me and the other doubters wrong.
Yes, exactly! One more year, and more specifically this year, and he might well find that he wants to stay and help bring glory to United and no one else. It really is on a knife edge.

sugar_kane

I think that my first reaction to Pogba signing for Liverpool was one of indifference says a lot about my feelings on the player.

Obviously just standard Raiola nonsense though, no way he fits Klopp's criteria or that Liverpool would pay his wages.

If it's true about PSG no longer seeing the transfer as viable, there's no chance he's leaving this summer.