Paul Scholes | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I know it's already mentioned but that volley from the corner. My word!

Glad he's taking a few shots, we need someone in our team to do that, we are sometimes guilty of trying to walk the ball in.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Too bad this didn't end up in goal.

credit to beautifullyred.co.uk

haven

Scholes remains the single best passer of the ball in the league. I can't even imagine what most other players would look like at 37, coming off retirement. To be honest, I look at his game, and I don't see why he couldn't do the same things at 40.

Legend.

Rossa

Scholes remains the single best passer of the ball in the league. I can't even imagine what most other players would look like at 37, coming off retirement. To be honest, I look at his game, and I don't see why he couldn't do the same things at 40.

Legend.
I agree completely!

When supporters argue that we shouldn't rely so much on a 37 year old, I find myself amused by this because nor should we rely too heavily on a 19 year old. So, should you only rely on people aged between 25-28? Age doesn't matter as long as you are still able to perform. Therefore I cannot understand those who still have problems with his return!

Scholes passing, vision and technique are second to none - not even the Spanish players. Sure, he's not the fastest, but he still has fairly quick feet and he tracks back well enough. Against Villa, even his tackling was sublime!

World class, legend and easily one of my favourite players of all time!

towcester_red

I admit to being sceptical at his return. Obviously one of our greatest ever players but I felt he was on the decline at the end of last season and I didnt want to see him come back and taint his legacy.

However the more I see of him on his return the more im certain he can atleast play on next season. His legs arent essential at all in the way he is playing that quater back role.

True legend, my favourite Utd player. There will never be another Paul Scholes :(

kps88

I have my doubts over whether he'd be able to last a whole season. Last season, he definitely lost his form towards the end. I'd love to use him sparingly at first and keep him fresh for when it counts. Or vice versa. I hope he would be happy to let Fergie manage him as he sees best.

ricky-romeo

i hope he does stays for another season at least, he certainly looks very fit and healthy. although i think he doesn't need those grueling pre season trainings any more now.

Aint gota Kalou

I agree completely!

When supporters argue that we shouldn't rely so much on a 37 year old, I find myself amused by this because nor should we rely too heavily on a 19 year old. So, should you only rely on people aged between 25-28? Age doesn't matter as long as you are still able to perform. Therefore I cannot understand those who still have problems with his return!

Scholes passing, vision and technique are second to none - not even the Spanish players. Sure, he's not the fastest, but he still has fairly quick feet and he tracks back well enough. Against Villa, even his tackling was sublime!

Any team in the league would rely heavily on Scholes simply because of the player he is. He's the fulcrum of the team, he dictates the tempo and he's the one responsible for slowing down or speeding up our football. He would go into any team in the world and instantly be put in this role for them, he's that fecking good.

Playmakers are always the most difficult to replace IMO (along with Keeper), they see the ball the most and the attacking players just know where to run as he'll pick them out consistently.

Cina

I'd almost prefer if we let him retire again, have a nice 6 month break and call him back in January if we're struggling. I don't think he'd have been as good as he has been if he had played the full season. We saw how he dipped last season.

He's going to be impossible to replace. I can't think of any midfielder we could buy (realistically) who could do so.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Are you suggesting that England would have been winning tournaments for the last 10 years if Scholes had been playing centre mid? Im not sure England's problems were so simple...
They certainly would have had a better chance if they had build their team around Scholes. Instead they chose to build it around the likes of Lampard and Gerrard who buckled under top-level pressure.

Cina

I think if England has Scholes in their midfield in the 06 world cup they could've gone much further on.

Zen86

And played in his correct position, you mean?
Basically.

Are you suggesting that England would have been winning tournaments for the last 10 years if Scholes had been playing centre mid? Im not sure England's problems were so simple...
I think building an England team around Scholes would have worked out alot better than building it around the superteam of Gerrard and Lampard.

Widnes

I agree completely!

Scholes is amazing and a legend and is still performing to a fantastic standard, But there is a very obvious reason why it's not a good thing for a club like Manchester United to rely on a player of his age and that is fitness, Paul Scholes can not play sunday-wednesday-saturday which is what you do need from your main players during the busy part of the season, While I think there is room for Scholes here next season it's vital that we get a playmaker in capable of playing every match and we are able to use Scholes as we please.

Adebesi

Scholes should definitely have been in the team, no doubt. But England would still have the problem that it has multiple great players (I do think Lampard and Gerrard are both great players) in the same positions, with a lack of similar quality in other positions. And it has always wanted to accommodate all its best players in one team, rather than putting out a balanced team and leaving great players on the bench.

I doubt England would have won a tournament with or without Scholes, to be honest, but this is a pretty pointless debate as it can never be proved one way or the other. But yes, as was said above, might have done better and would surely not have done any worse.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Did Gerrard buckle under top level pressure? In South Africa I thought he was pretty much the only player England had that did anything. I would level that accusation at Lampard but not at Gerrard.
It wasn't that either of them buckled under pressure, it's just that they weren't really good enough in comparison to the other top teams. Gerrard and Lampard may have been great players in their prime, however Schweinsteiger, for example, is still better than the both of them.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
I hope he's offered a new deal, and I think he'll take it.

He retired because SAF said he could only offer him 20-30 games this season and he wouldn't be the most regular starter, so he thought his time was up.

All of his interviews since coming back have been about how much he missed the game for those 7 months so I think he'll take any deal offered even if it is only a squad role.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
At this point I think there is no question that he will be around next season.

I think the 8 month retirement was.probably the best thing he did. His form towards the end of last season was poor. Taking a break probably made him appreciate things a little more and probably gave him some rest that he needed.

Widnes

Playing scholes in the CM position instead of wide left in EURO 2004 could have given England a great chance of winning that tournament

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Named as the third best player this season by the football writers.

Maybe we should rest him for the first four months of next season...

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Great player and a great man, but it's time to go and enjoy retirement. He vanquished all the demons of last season and proved to everyone just how great he is even at 38. I really don't want to see him to a Garry Neville so its time to retire at the top.

It seems that if he was interested in playing next year he'd hold off going to the euro's for a proper rest. Wait and see I think.

redevil2

Great player and a great man, but it's time to go and enjoy retirement. He vanquished all the demons of last season and proved to everyone just how great he is even at 38. I really don't want to see him to a Garry Neville so its time to retire at the top.

It seems that if he was interested in playing next year he'd hold off going to the euro's for a proper rest. Wait and see I think.
Who are you/us to say when and whether he should retire though. From what we saw, he's absolutely capable of playing another year... not every game but he's very useful and if he wants to stay, it's his prerogative.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Who are you/us to say when and whether he should retire though. From what we saw, he's absolutely capable of playing another year... not every game but he's very useful and if he wants to stay, it's his prerogative.
I'm not interested in watching scholes turn out against like he did in 10/11 which will happen if he plays another full season. He retired because he wasn't getting enough game time. If we bring in new players, do you think that will change?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not interested in watching scholes turn out against like he did in 10/11 which will happen if he plays another full season. He retired because he wasn't getting enough game time. If we bring in new players, do you think that will change?
If Scholes stays we won't bring in any new players. It would take him to retire for Fergie to do anything with the midfield

Devil may care

If Scholes stays we won't bring in any new players. It would take him to retire for Fergie to do anything with the midfield
He didn't do anything about the midfield last time he retired, it seems Fergie either can't or wont address the issue.

prateik

Fergie tried to address that. We got priced out of Nasri.
We'll try again and almost certainly sign someone to provide the creative spark from central positions.. maybe not the central midfielder some want.. might be a #10,

I do expect us to sign a central midfielder too.. noone fancy. just someone tidy to do a job. or maybe not if Fletch is fit again and is certain to get through the season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I love Paul Scholes and I was delighted when he came back this season. There's no denying that he's been absolutely unbelievable for half a season. But I don't want him to stay. We need to cut the cord because we're shockingly dependent on him. Time to plan for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.