Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrettyEnder07

Now sit back just for a sec and notice a pattern. Most of those came in fully functioning teams/systems or under SAF except Zlatan himself and contrary to what some people want to believe, Zlatan was a solid signing, not a roaring success(We finished 6th with him leading our lines).

There is just far too many instances of such signings turning sore, especially in recent history than successful. It's time for people to start applying caution and weight everything before getting giddy. Also let's not forget the important fact that Dybala is coming from a terrible season, unlike all the other names you mentioned alongside him.
And won a European trophy and he won us the League Cup, scored what 25+ goals, got us back in the UCL, yeah he had a terrible season did Zlatan!

Played wide right as a winger in a team who played an ultra defensive rigid system. Cantona from memory came into a side not scoring goals, struggling for form, dropping down the table, if SAF had this kind of attitude we never would have looked at Eric with his past.

I don't recall Sheringham having a stellar season the season before he arrived. Hughes as have mentioned had a dreadful season before he returned.

We had that kind of mindset jesus we would never sign anyone! Not every signing works, course it doesn't, but you move on, you do what you can to make sure they fit.

We need a back up striker and a RW who preferably is left footed and can cut inside. Madness that Dybala is all of those things, and that he might actually fit in to what Ole wants and how he wants to play.

I know this is very rare for the fans on this forum, but getting behind the manager and giving him the benefit of the doubt that he and his staff, might be a little bit more clued up on it than us lot hey

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I would rather take a swap on the player than cash at this stage. As if we take cash at this stage I can't see all being reinvested and a lot of it going back into the Glazer's pockets.
Who would we even buy?
Ole talks a lot bout pressing, then we're strongly linked to a player who probably wouldn't be great at it. I'd guess that's where people get the idea from.
He's no Firmino but I've seen this guy run his socks off. As part of a unit, I don't see why he can't.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
But when I player of that quality becomes available, it makes sense to take a gamble.

DiMaria and Falcao didn't really hurt us, they just failed and we moved them on. Sanchez hurt us more by messing up the wage structure, but let's face it, thats a freak scenario with how the transfer went down and Falcao and DiMaria still had enough quality to attract suitors, we couldn't expect Sanchez' level to crash like it has.

If Dybala goes to Liverpool and tears it up, all of a sudden Ed and our scouts become muppets for not at least trying to recruit him.

If he fails, we take a loss and move him on to PSG.

Think of it like this:

We're only gambling £15m on top of a player we're struggling to shift. Then what £30k per week extra on what we were already paying Lukaku? So potentially we have a world class player joining the club for an outlay of £19m over two years (long enough to get rid if we need to).

It doesn't sound like this transfer has any bearing on Bruno.

We aren't exhausting a transfer kitty.

It's a no brainer, even if he comes and ends up sitting on the bench with Sanchez.
I agree.

DoomSlayer

Who would we even buy?

He's no Firmino but I've seen this guy run his socks off. As part of a unit, I don't see why he can't.
I never thought I'd see Martial press like crazy or even go into sliding tackles, yet here we are. :lol: Don't see why Dybala would not be ready to work for the team.

fps

Who would forumites prefer we sign, Dybala or Maguire?

SATA

Well he had a long flight, 3 flights apparently to get to Turin, so he can always do the Juve medical tests tomorrow

nainaisson

We’ll find out today what the story is surely? Or is he going on a religious sabbatical after his chat with Sarri.
Being rejected so he can enter the monastic life will really sting, I admit. It'd be like a pretty girl rejecting you for a fat lesbian. I'd almost rather he join Conte at Inter.

Matt007a

It's a shame he's got no pre-season under his belt so he won't be fit until 3-4 weeks into the season. Still a great signing for us though as long as we use him correctly.

DownRiver

Lingard is not critical to anything we do at this club, we'll be just fine without him in the team, better infact.
Well, in pre-season Ole had praised Lingard twice for his impact in pressing.

stepic

It's a shame he's got no pre-season under his belt so he won't be fit until 3-4 weeks into the season. Still a great signing for us though as long as we use him correctly.
hold your horses pal, we don't even know if he wants to join yet.

Classical Mechanic

I worry that he's vastly overrated, that his name sounds like 'The Baller' in English makes people overestimate his ability. If he was called 'Debobler' we wouldn't be pursuing this.

Lynty

Maguire if it was necessary to choose (which it isn't)

A solid back four will gaurenttee us top 4

Fosu-Mens

Who would forumites prefer we sign, Dybala or Maguire?
Dybala. Maguire might be an improvement in defence, but without midfielders that protect him against 1v1s and in a high pressing team, his lack of mobility is a big big issue.

If Mourinho was the coach and we played a "low block defend from crosses" approach, then Maguire would be an excellent acquisition. But we won't play this way.

Instead of going for Maguire, we should use this ££ to buy balancing midfielders that can protect the defenders, balance the team and help the build-up. The same argument can be made in regards to Dybala, but not to that extent. Dybala might improve our attacking play more than Maguire would improve our defence given that we are most likely going to press high and leaving a lot of space behind our defenders. And without midfielders to protect our centrebacks against 1v1.

Bruno8

This deal/swap deal looks too good to be true and until it actually happens I will be skeptical about it

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Any Lingard comparisons to any other player are a bit disingenuous really.

Lingard is a player whose only distinctive element to his game is that he somehow manages an unusually good number of assists and goals for a player whose best work otherwise consists of making runs off the ball.

The players whose numbers get compared to his tend to have a vastly better allround contribution and individual ability. As does Dybala, obviously.

StrettyEnder07

I was just looking at last season. Apologies if I've got the numbers wrong.
Mate I thought you might have overdosed haha yeah last season Dybala had a bit of a fallout with Alegri and was out as a conventional winger, which is not his game.

If he signs and posts the same numbers as Lingard I will cry haha

JakeTheRed

It crazes me that some people do not want this signing. It's not just the signing of a quality player, we're also getting rid of Lukaku who just isn't at the level that we require to progress forwards. It's addition by subtraction in this case. He can play multiple positions, ST, RW, CAM. Would also add that extra bit of finesse that we need so desperately in the final third. Now it's just down to Dybala to see if he actually wants to join.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Mate I thought you might have overdosed haha yeah last season Dybala had a bit of a fallout with Alegri and was out as a conventional winger, which is not his game.

If he signs and posts the same numbers as Lingard I will cry haha
Yeah I was just asking what happened last season. The answer I got was that he moved to RW. Hopefully we won't play him there then!

Status
Not open for further replies.