Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Transfer makes no sense, he’s not going to fit into the hardworking constant press Ole wants. Simply media stuff to pressure Inter into coughing up the dough...
You are probably right and if we don't get Dybala but somehow manage to get Bruno whilst still keeping Pogba then that's a definite improvement on our current situation

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Dybala is potentially a 15 goal / 10 assist player. Lingard is what, 4/2?
Yup. Not sure why some people can’t comprehend that. Kicking Lingard out of the starting lineup would be a win as is but for Dybala, and people are still complaining? :houllier:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What sounds better, having Lingard at the 10 as a starter or Dybala? ...
Obviously Dybala. But Di Maria and Sanchez sounded better than what we had too. Naturally we have to continue to sign quality players and can't let a few bad experiences put us off but it's important that A) the player is on the up (Dybala had a bad season so there's some skepticism) B) fits into the system (some skepticism but could happen) C) has the right attitude (no idea).

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Obviously Dybala. But Di Maria and Sanchez sounded better than what we had too. Naturally we have to continue to sign quality players and can't let a few bad experiences put us off but it's important that A) the player is on the up (Dybala had a bad season so there's some skepticism) B) fits into the system (some skepticism but could happen) C) has the right attitude (no idea).
Alexis took Martial’s LW spot for no reason when he was in the best form of his United career. It made no sense because of that + we had other glaring needs that needed to be prioritized.

United need another attack minded/playmaking CM. It can be a Bruno who plays not as far up or it can also be someone like Dybala who plays more advanced and suits Ole’s 4231. Either or works (both would but doubt United can pull that off). And again, it rids Lingard of being relied upon to start.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fernandes does seem the better fit in comparison to Dybala I must say.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
We aren't going to get Dybala and Fernandes - I'm worried that we'll end up with neither if we spread our resources and spend time chasing both.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Alexis took Martial’s LW spot for no reason when he was in the best form of his United career. It made no sense because of that + we had other glaring needs that needed to be prioritized.

United need another attack minded/playmaking CM. It can be a Bruno who plays not as far up or it can also be someone like Dybala who plays more advanced and suits Ole’s 4231. Either or works (both would but doubt United can pull that off). And again, it rids Lingard of being relied upon to start.
I suppose. I've always wanted us to sign a genuine playmaker to be honest. Football moved on but we never signed our own Silva whose feet the ball stays glued to or our KDB who passed as well as anybody in the game. All the attacking midfielders we get seem weakest in the playmaking area - Kagawa, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard (promoted). So ideally I'd want somebody like the three City have. It's the reason why Fernandes never excited me. Seems Hollywood and all that but technically magnificent with the ball at feet.

In that context, Dybala isn't the kind of football I've wanted at this club. He's not a playmaker, electric right winger or all round CF. He reminds me of Di Maria in that he could be tough for teams to fit in? However he has in the past proven to be excellent at what he does (second striker role) and at a good age. So while he doesn't fit the nature of player I felt we should go for, if he fulfills his potential, this could obviously be a huge signing or us.

Also, what's his attitude like? I feel that's very important in our current side. We don't need more passengers who will always wait for service, and have more ego than ethic/grit.

dasty

He's good looking enough to get Ed's marketing juices flowing.

Judas

Open to offers
We aren't going to get Dybala and Fernandes - I'm worried that we'll end up with neither if we spread our resources and spend time chasing both.
I don't think we are chasing both though? The Bruno links still look very very sketchy to me, there's more positive noise about Dybala in the last few days than there has been about Bruno all summer.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Dybala is happening within the next couple of days or it’s not happening at all. Haven’t we given Inter till Thursday to make a move for Lukaku? Same goes for Juventus. If nothing happens with Lukaku then we go out and get Fernandes.

Cloud7

For those saying they don’t want someone coming here just for the money, Aguero and Silva went to city purely for the money, and they turned out to be two of the best signings in the history of English football. As a fan base we need to stop with these generalizations just because it didn’t work out with Di Maria. Every footballer is a different person.

RDCR07

Transfer makes no sense, he’s not going to fit into the hardworking constant press Ole wants. Simply media stuff to pressure Inter into coughing up the dough...
You’re talking as if Fernandes is guaranteed to succeed here. Any player is a gamble especially if he is a foreign player.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Really like Dybala as a player even from his Palermo days. So naturally, I hope this doesn't go through.

I can't imagine what Juve want with Lukaku, will he work in their setup with CR7.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Really like Dybala as a player even from his Palermo days. So naturally, I hope this doesn't go through.

I can't imagine what Juve want with Lukaku, will he work on their setup with CR7.
Ronaldo is going to be so pissed off if he has to play alongside Lukaku. Not going to be happy with his first touch and control.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
Dybala is happening within the next couple of days or it’s not happening at all. Haven’t we given Inter till Thursday to make a move for Lukaku? Same goes for Juventus. If nothing happens with Lukaku then we go out and get Fernandes.
I'm not sure I'd trust our boys to 'go out and get Fernandes' with only a few days to work in.

The clock is ticking and we are in desperate need in more than one position.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Did they have good chemistry on the pitch? Given Martial and Pogba gel well another player who can form a strong on-pitch relationship who is also technically gifted would help us.
They did actually.

RDCR07

I'm not sure I'd trust our boys to 'go out and get Fernandes' with only a few days to work in.

The clock is ticking and we are in desperate need in more than one position.
We have good relations with Sporting. There is no other club after him. If we don’t get Dybala it will put us in a state of panic and then we forget about thinking of bids and talking of bids and pay extra and get Fernandes.

gajender

I suppose. I've always wanted us to sign a genuine playmaker to be honest. Football moved on but we never signed our own Silva whose feet the ball stays glued to or our KDB who passed as well as anybody in the game. All the attacking midfielders we get seem weakest in the playmaking area - Kagawa, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard (promoted). So ideally I'd want somebody like the three City have. It's the reason why Fernandes never excited me. Seems Hollywood and all that but technically magnificent with the ball at feet.

In that context, Dybala isn't the kind of football I've wanted at this club. He's not a playmaker, electric right winger or all round CF. He reminds me of Di Maria in that he could be tough for teams to fit in? However he has in the past proven to be excellent at what he does (second striker role) and at a good age. So while he doesn't fit the nature of player I felt we should go for, if he fulfills his potential, this could obviously be a huge signing or us.

Also, what's his attitude like? I feel that's very important in our current side. We don't need more passengers who will always wait for service, and have more ego than ethic/grit.
Great point regarding proper playmakers we seem to have gone for wrong types and some of support base had taken that as fact we can't play with one, I would love for us to go for someone in Ilk of Silva's and I am pretty certain if we had gone for Bernardo Silva it would have made easier to play Pogba in midfield of two as well .Get proper playmaker for no 10 who creates and keeps the ball rather well than support striker it would add great balance to the team and Pogba would also thrive as a result.

Hawks2008

What sounds better, having Lingard at the 10 as a starter or Dybala? ...
Dybala, but is he a 10? He isn't a winger or a out and out striker but I'm not sure he's an attacking midfielder either. I guess that's for Ole to decide if he does join but I'm more concerned about whether he will press like we need him too.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If he comes it will make it very difficult for Pogba to walk away. He absolutely loved playing with this kid.

It will make the coaching staffs job so much easier for Pogba and Dybala to just take care of all attacking transitions and creativity with 0 coaching input needed.

They were brilliant to watch together.

I can’t even fathom how insane it would be to have those two playing and having martial/Rashford/James/Greenwood buzzing around them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think an important thing to note is that Dybala hasnt really peaked or had that truly breakout season as the world class player he can be. He's had some very good years, some inconsistent years, but still has a lot to prove, trophies to win, things to accomplish. Sanchez clearly had his best years behind him, while Di Maria, in addition to the main point of him and Van Gaal just being polar opposites, had his peak season the year prior to joining United, and won the biggest prizes. So mentally he probably wasnt prepared to sacrifice much.

The question would be fit, but I'm honestly not that worried about that. Easier opponents we do a 4231 like we are planning with Dybala as 10 instead of Lingard, while harder games we go 4312 or 433 with dybala as the loan 10 or on the right, but a front 3 of Rashford, Martial and Dybala. 4th option rotating between a midfielder or one of the other attackers we have.

Also a big positive is how well he gets along with Pogba, feel confident that Pogba would be willing to stay longer with Dybala.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Dybala reminds me of RVP, in that he wasn't exactly a winger, a traditional number 10 or a lead the line striker when we first signed him.

He was more of a second striker and was obviously eventually developed into a world class striker.

I can see Dybala potentially following the same path. Both have a very similar skill set IMO.

bosnian_red

Fernandes does seem the better fit in comparison to Dybala I must say.
Not sure tbh. In a counter attacking set up, Dybala would give loads of goals, creativity and movement and unpredictability through the middle. I know Bruno Fernandes is hyped right now, but he isnt close to Dybala's level, while I think theres a fair chance he'd have some trouble adapting to the prem. Think he'd suit Liverpool better with their team set up, just don't feel like he would suit us that well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not sure tbh. In a counter attacking set up, Dybala would give loads of goals, creativity and movement and unpredictability through the middle. I know Bruno Fernandes is hyped right now, but he isnt close to Dybala's level, while I think theres a fair chance he'd have some trouble adapting to the prem. Think he'd suit Liverpool better with their team set up, just don't feel like he would suit us that well.
Fernandes seems to have a bigger goal threat due to his superior shooting ability and a higher work rate, which I feel would benefit Ole's high press style.

But having said that, I would welcome either into our team as things stand, with time ticking in the transfer window.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
For those saying they don’t want someone coming here just for the money, Aguero and Silva went to city purely for the money, and they turned out to be two of the best signings in the history of English football. As a fan base we need to stop with these generalizations just because it didn’t work out with Di Maria. Every footballer is a different person.
I agree with you to an extent, but when those two went to City, the club was in the early stages of a new project. There was reason for optimism that they would accomplish things, even if there was no proof. United have been struggling to rebuild for 6 years now, and I think players are right to have questions about the leadership and direction of the club. United need hard-working players who buy into Ole's plans, and who will be good teammates. It's impossible for fans to know whether or not a player will fit that mold with the little information we have, but Woodward & Co. should be able to determine that, and it's important that they do.

bosnian_red

Fernandes seems to have a bigger goal threat due to his superior shooting ability and a higher work rate, which I feel would benefit Ole's high press style.

But having said that, I would welcome either into our team as things stand with time ticking in the transfer window
Goes without saying!
Not sure Fernandes has a greater goal threat. Bruno Fernandes had a ridiculously large over performance relative to his underlying stats, and watching his highlights you can see why. So many distance shots that go in due to soft goalkeeping in the Portuguese league. Many examples of years like this being "fluky". Still a good player, but I'm not sure if he's actually good enough for the role we'd want to use him in. Also don't actually think it's real interest in him, nobody reliable has ever said anything unlike Maguire/Longstaff/Dybala now.

RedCurry

If he comes it will make it very difficult for Pogba to walk away. He absolutely loved playing with this kid.

It will make the coaching staffs job so much easier for Pogba and Dybala to just take care of all attacking transitions and creativity with 0 coaching input needed.

They were brilliant to watch together.

I can’t even fathom how insane it would be to have those two playing and having martial/Rashford/James/Greenwood buzzing around them.
The thing with Pogba is that you have to constantly keep making him buy into your philosophy. He can play whatever position in midfield so long as he is on the same page as the manager and his teammates. Bringing more technical players will help as much as moving towards a possession based football.

SER19

I'm wary of him because it feels like we'd be after him because it presented itself rather than him fitting solskjaers plan.

Saying that, I feel like if he did come here, I don't know why, but I think he'd be a revelation. Dybala rashford martial, backed up by a functional middle 3 and maguire at the back, would be one of the bedt line ups in the league

ChaddyP

I'm wary of him because it feels like we'd be after him because it presented itself rather than him fitting solskjaers plan.

Saying that, I feel like if he did come here, I don't know why, but I think he'd be a revelation. Dybala rashford martial, backed up by a functional middle 3 and maguire at the back, would be one of the bedt line ups in the league

I don't get that feeling. If we get him I know it's because Solskjaer wants him. He has been adamant about not signing players he doesn't want. He has refused the likes of Perisic, Icardi and Bale if reports are to believed. I don't think he will take on Dybala of he doesn't have a major role for him on this team.

dasty

If playing with his best friend Dybala could get Pogba to stay more disciplined in the midfield, then Dybala could definitely fit into our lineup. . Sometimes Pogba gives me the feeling that he doesn't trust our attacking players that much, and therefore will venture out from his position to start the attack, resulting in him being way out of position. Dybala is a hardworking player and will definitely be able to play in a high pressing lineup. McTominay would need to have a monster year though. He needs to instantly become one of the best box to box midfielder in the league or this lineup will be too imbalanced.

DarkXaero

One of my muppet dream signings years ago (back when he first moved to Juve from Palermo). I think we would be smart to buy low on him, he's clearly a very talented player who had a poor season playing out of position and with inconsistent minutes. If we play him centrally, we'll have a potential 20+ goals/5+ assists player, who is technically excellent. He would link up great with Pogba, and thrive with the pace in our team. IMO, he would be a huge upgrade on Lukaku, it's too good to be true. But all of a sudden, there's a lot of credible reporting, and it looks like a possibility :lol:

Scholsey2004

IMO I'd have thought Fernandes would be a more natural fit in a pressing side than Dybala. That being said Dybala for Lukaku and perhaps one of our spare parts in defence would be a great swap.

AKDevil

Hmmmm ... does he want to join or simply being forced out by Juve? If it’s the latter will surely be a problem down the line.

redIndianDevil

We won't be counter attacking 90% of the time though, how good is he with his back to the defenders? Is he capable of handling the physicality?

Red_toad

You’re talking as if Fernandes is guaranteed to succeed here. Any player is a gamble especially if he is a foreign player.
? Where did I mention any other player? Just pointing out he’s not a player who will run through a wall for the team. Something I believe Ole is looking for in his targets...

Status
Not open for further replies.