Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasolin

With the whole image rights thing, correct me if I wrong wasn't there a massive issue over just this sort of thing, if I remember correctly in relation to Tevez when we initially signed him, 3rd party ownership etc... and wasn't it outlawed or at least frowned upon by Fifa
We had that huge problem with Tevez too, absolutely. Probably one of the reasons why it was not easy for us to sign him permanently. That was very weird.

Canuckred64

Won't Spurs have to buy his image rights from the third party? Hasnt the Premier League outlawed any type of third party ownership?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
i really, really, really dont think spurs will pay all the required monies to sign him.

and no, spurs are nowhere near Juventus in club stature, good grief. Plus i dont think he is keen on leaving Juventus. He is going to take some persuading id imagine, unless madrid or barca come calling. Fabrizio Romano has also said Dybala to utd is dead in the water (off)

R'hllor

So 3rd party ownership of his image rights is another stumbling block, so he will never be able to move if interested club isnt ready to settle with that part of contract even if he really really wants to join X club, what the actual titty feck.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Won't Spurs have to buy his image rights from the third party? Hasnt the Premier League outlawed any type of third party ownership?
That's registration rights. Image rights are fairly routinely owned by company's, it's just the company is usually owned by the player.

George The Best

With the whole image rights thing, correct me if I wrong wasn't there a massive issue over just this sort of thing, if I remember correctly in relation to Tevez when we initially signed him, 3rd party ownership etc... and wasn't it outlawed or at least frowned upon by Fifa
I think that was more about 3rd party ownership of the player rather than image rights. Could be wrong though. Still don’t understand how it’s possible for image rights to be owned other than by the player or his club though.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
According to the Telegraph, he's much more open to joining Spurs. £10m agent fees and image right issue not seen as insurmountable by Spurs.
Can't say i've seen that? £10m agents fee not seen as insurmountable? I suppose his £300k - £350k a week wages are seen as pocket money to them too

redshaw

When you add in the transfer fee, plus agent fee, plus loss of image rights you are looking at a cost of a lot more than £350k a week.
You were talking Dybala's demands with Schmeichel's Cartwheel and said 600k gross when it's alleged to be 350k gross. No big deal, move on. No-one knows the actual figures.

RedNed77

I can't believe Glastons wumming is so blithely tolerated on here but, that aside, is it really that much of a surprise if a foreign player with no ties to England or the Premier League would choose Spurs over us? Assuming you were a young pro-footballer would anybody here really consider ruling out playing for Napoli because AC Milan had also put in a bid for them?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
According to the Telegraph, he's much more open to joining Spurs. £10m agent fees and image right issue not seen as insurmountable by Spurs.
Reading the Telegraph article, theres no sources saying he's much more open to the move, and it looks like it's still based on the Di Marzio claim from before.
Really does seem like everyone is linking back to that one claim and giving it their own spin.

Issue is, if Spurs cave to his demands, and give him crazy wages, no only will it disrupt the squad, they'll gain the exact same reputation we have - willing to pay extreme wages to get players. It'll backfire on them big time, which is why we probably withdrew from negotiations

wr8_utd

:'(
I can't believe Glastons wumming is so blithely tolerated on here but, that aside, is it really that much of a surprise if a foreign player with no ties to England or the Premier League would choose Spurs over us? Assuming you were a young pro-footballer would anybody here really consider ruling out playing for Napoli because AC Milan had also put in a bid for them?
I'd understand players choosing Napoli over AC Milan but not when Milan will match (or come close to matching) your wage demands while Napoli's highest paid player earns lesser than you currently do and they don't really break their wage structure.
Spurs may be the more attractive club currently but they don't pay attractive enough wages.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I dont think Dybala will go to Spurs or Utd this window. But right now given the opportunity, and much as i hate them, he'd pick Spurs. If Utd and spurs laid the exact same offer on the table. In hindsight it'd be CL, London, big wages, fellow countryman in charge, a team regularly top 4 of late.

If Spurs really want to make a statement, i suppose they could just say feck it and pay what Dybala and his team want, I just dont see it myself. Then again, who knows.

Unless PSG come in, Spurs have a clear run at him. Utd are out of the equation it seems. The more reliable italian media are now reporting they are out of the race

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
"Okay, Paulo, I hear you, you want £600k a week, but wait just one moment, there's something I want you to see.

What's say we pay you £250k but you get to play half your matches here .... *spins laptop around with screensaver of an aerial view of Spurs stadium*."
You reckon it'll work?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You're missing the point. If he doesn't own his own rights then he can't give the club permission to use his rights at all. End of story.

The third party who own his rights would need to grant that permission, and the very reason they acquired them was to charge for that privilege.

I'm not familiar with his situation, but if the stories I've read are accurate and he does in fact not own the rights at all then he's got a significant problem.
I'd very much doubt that any 3rd party of image rights extends to being able to stop a club that signs him from even displaying his picture on the club's website or in relation to the club's own merchandise in their own club shop.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I dont think Dybala will go to Spurs or Utd this window. But right now given the opportunity, and much as i hate them, he'd pick Spurs. If Utd and spurs laid the exact same offer on the table. In hindsight it'd be CL, London, big wages, fellow countryman in charge, a team regularly top 4 of late.
Or he'd look at Spurs and think wow they've barely won anything in my lifetime nah I'd rather go and join the biggest club in the country, one of the top 3 in the world, who will undoubtedly pay me more and where one of my besties is playing

There is not a chance in hell Dybala chooses Spurs over Man Utd

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'd very much doubt that any 3rd party of image rights extends to being able to stop a club that signs him from even displaying his picture on the club's website or in relation to the club's own merchandise in their own club shop.
The standard wording of a PL contract (without image rights payments) states that the player gives the club permission to use his image.

He doesn't own his image, therefore he cannot give that permission. Therefore, either the issue gets resolved (££££) or the club cannot use his image in any way for commercial purposes.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

If Spurs really want to make a statement, i suppose they could just say feck it and pay what Dybala and his team want, I just dont see it myself. Then again, who knows.

Unless PSG come in, Spurs have a clear run at him. Utd are out of the equation it seems. The more reliable italian media are now reporting they are out of the race
To be fair, this window, none of them have come across as particularly reliable.
Di Marzio was regarded as very reliable, but his track record this summer for EPL has been terrible.
The others have been spotty at best. They're not doing too great, thats for sure. Things can change in an instant though, as we all know. Still, i seriously doubt Dybala will be going to Spurs, or coming to United this summer.

Scriblerus

You'd be surprised. That's how image rights can work. I came up against them in the run up to the London Olympics when you literally couldn't use any photo from past games, or featuring the logo, for any purpose without permission and the payment of a fat fee.

George The Best

That’s exactly what they are unfortunately. Don’t think you could even sell a shirt if you don’t own the rights.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
So basically if the bid is true and he rejects both United and Tottenham, doesn't that kinda suggest that he has no interest in joing the Premier League in general?
Perhaps, although I doubt he would reject City IMO.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I'm selling you the actual rights to my image... Of course other parties will still be allowed to use my image for commercial purposes, and you'll have no say in that, obviously, right?

Idxomer

All that for a player that scored 5 goals in a league where 36 year old Quagliarella scored 26 goals and was the top scorer.

Gasolin

Regardless, check this out.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/31905811

Third-party ownership was banned by the Premier League in England at the start of the 2008-09 season, following the discovery that the economic rights of Argentine players Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano were owned by two offshore companies when they joined West Ham in 2006.

Premier League and Football League rules now require clubs to buy out any third parties that claim to own the economic rights in a player before their transfers are permitted in the top flight.

Which means that Levy will have to buy them out. And we come back to the question of the amount requested by those people who used to own the rights and are now suing Dybala for a big check... good luck Levy!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Regardless, check this out.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/31905811

Third-party ownership was banned by the Premier League in England at the start of the 2008-09 season, following the discovery that the economic rights of Argentine players Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano were owned by two offshore companies when they joined West Ham in 2006.

Premier League and Football League rules now require clubs to buy out any third parties that claim to own the economic rights in a player before their transfers are permitted in the top flight.

Which means that Levy will have to buy them out. And we come back to the question of the amount requested by those people who used to own the rights and are now suing Dybala for a big check... good luck Levy!
Image rights are a different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.