Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

FujiVice

Good player on a free. Doesnt matter what his wages or his injury record or that he played us like cnuts when it comes to this board.

Dempsey19

Well if he's a free agent and is looking for a club. We are only going to offer him wages we think are acceptable.

It's not like we are trying to lure him away from a club just for money.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I find him irritating. He did turn us down and was in tears at the prospect of leaving Juventus. But when it came down to money he wouldn't re-sign for them. :rolleyes: We dont need another player like him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We give Juve a Pogba, they give us Dybala.

Still it's shocking news from Di Marzio no matter how to look at it.

MrEleson

Not true.
How so? He missed key CL ties in each of the past 4 seasons.
- missed last season’s tie against against Villareal (his team got eliminated)

- missed the Porto tie in 20/21 (team got eliminated again)

- missed the crucial 2nd leg against Lyon when he was actually playing some of his best football prior to it and would’ve been enough to help see them through so they weren’t solely dependent on Ronaldo (team eliminated again)

- missed the 1st leg again Ajax in 2019 and was subbed off early with injury in the 2nd leg (again leaving the team dependent on CR).

He hasn’t been reliable to be available at all in the biggest games over the last few years. And this is not to mention the other periods of the season he’s injured.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
How so? He missed key CL ties in each of the past 4 seasons.
- missed last season’s tie against against Villareal (his team got eliminated)

- missed the Porto tie in 20/21 (team got eliminated again)

- missed the crucial 2nd leg against Lyon when he was actually playing some of his best football prior to it and would’ve been enough to help see them through so they weren’t solely dependent on Ronaldo (team eliminated again)

- missed the 1st leg again Ajax in 2019 and was subbed off early with injury in the 2nd leg (again leaving the team dependent on CR).

He hasn’t been reliable to be available at all in the biggest games over the last few years. And this is not to mention the other periods of the season he’s injured.

-Supreme-

I’ve always maintained that the squad lacks left footed players, wouldnt be surprised to see two left footed attacking players added to the squad this summer to improve overall balance and attacking transitions in the final third.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can't say that I watch enough of him to say for sure, I always thought he was a bit of a 0 when it came to defensive work, but his stats profile actually makes him look like a hard worker defensively. Turning 29 in a few months. On a free... If Ronaldo leaves, I'd take him purely because there isn't many available players and he could actually play a false 9 role for Ten Hag. But generally never felt he was suited for the prem. But I'd still go for it because we'll need something.

Dazzmondo

I think this is going to happen. With him available on a free and our Board not having prepared or budgeted for Ronaldo leaving, I don't think it's realistic to expect they will spend a huge fee on a genuine top striker. I just hope it's not a disaster and he at least does ok. Technically talented but not a particularly reliable goalscorer and very injury prone. A lone striker definitely isn't his best role either.

shellb

Supports
Broncos
I think this is going to happen. With him available on a free and our Board not having prepared or budgeted for Ronaldo leaving, I don't think it's realistic to expect they will spend a huge fee on a genuine top striker. I just hope it's not a disaster and he at least does ok. Technically talented but not a particularly reliable goalscorer and very injury prone. A lone striker definitely isn't his best role either.
But does he fit? Historically, I'd agree but this isn't where we are going...

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
There were reports of contact in April and with Ronaldo news, its no surprise that we are looking at him again. Not sure how it will work but he is technically very good. Only issue is his injury.

Plus as far as i remember, it was image rights issue that made us drop the interest few years back.

Aeryis

It’s very weird. He was one of the most desired and sought after forwards. Just a couple of years ago loads of supporters from the big PL clubs were begging their team to sign him.

Now it seems like he can’t find anyone who wants him.
It's because he's an unorthodox forward. Not a striker, not a winger, not an attacking midfielder but a mix of all 3 combined and in between. This made him a bit of a tactical mess with Juventus and it's exactly why Juventus are moving away from him because without him they gain an extra number in centre midfield, and they can employ a more balanced attack and defense.

This signing would make no sense. We need a striker, a winger, an RB, and another CM. Would be a very United signing though, carrying our decade long trend of not being able to properly assess the needs of our starting XI and the overall squad. A club run by amateurs.

Woodzy

We need bodies in attack. Ronaldo is probably going to leave and not going to get enough of a fee to buy a decent replacement.

Greenwood is long gone, Martial is almost certainly done here and if he doesn’t leave the club do we really want to see him playing?

Cavani, Lingard and Mata gone. Even Pogba played wide a lot (not saying that’s where Dybala will play but emphasises how light we have become in those front 3 positions).

I know next to nothing about Dybala, but based on his reputation I’m sure he will be decent enough to make up the numbers which we sorely need. If we can agree a decent wage then it makes sense.

Robaldo

I can't believe I'm writing this about someone so talented but I just cannot see this being in any way successful.

Di Marzio did report we were in for Bastoni and that didn't materialise so maybe it's bull :confused:

Berbaclass

So this surely supports the idea that he’s been more and more injury prone over the last few seasons. And he’s missing at crucial times.
He missed a bit last season. Before that his injury record looks not as bad as you’re making out.

el3mel

We need bodies in attack. Ronaldo is probably going to leave and not going to get enough of a fee to buy a decent replacement.

Greenwood is long gone, Martial is almost certainly done here and if he doesn’t leave the club do we really want to see him playing?

Cavani, Lingard and Mata gone. Even Pogba played wide a lot (not saying that’s where Dybala will play but emphasises how light we have become in those front 3 positions).

I know next to nothing about Dybala, but based on his reputation I’m sure he will be decent enough to make up the numbers which we sorely need. If we can agree a decent wage then it makes sense.
Dybala isn't needed, and just because "we need bodies in attack" doesn't mean we should sign any free agent on the market.

He's going to a tactical headache then we'll struggle to get rid. There's no way this is going to end well for both.

Better than this useless signing, we should try to sign a defensive midfielder.

Chairman Steve

If ETH genuinely wants him and thinks he can work in his squad, then go for it. I would feel more comfortable about it if it’s for certain that we were looking at Dybala back in April, when ETH was appointed and undoubtedly in conversation with the club.

I‘d like to think that the club knew Ronaldo was going to up sticks back in April, and started sounding out options… as opposed to the perceived scenario that the media will run with, that Ronaldo dropped a bombshell this week and now we’re scurrying around for a replacement.

-Supreme-

With Pogba, Mata, Matic, Cavani and potentially Ronaldo leaving this summer I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more incoming players over the age of 28.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I don't agree that he would be 'useless', especially if Ronaldo leaves. It makes a lot of sense, especially as there are very few quality attackers on the market.

dbs235

Plenty of red flags about him but I still can't help wanting us to sign him :lol: Same as it would be with Neymar, and when Ronaldo came back.

MrEleson

He missed a bit last season. Before that his injury record looks not as bad as you’re making out.
And he missed a lot in 20/21 too. Go to the Juve forum and see what they think. They echo some of the same thoughts. His problem previously was that he was injured for key games which is what I alluded to. Now he’s just injured more often in general.

Nevertheless, I would still take the punt simply because of how dire our options are as long as he’s on moderate wages. Still unsure on how he’d be integrated. We shouldn’t expect he’d solve our issues at all though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don’t think so. Donny will play as one if the two midfielders and Dybala as one of the forwards
Donny isn't getting in midfield ahead of Frenkie, eriksen or Bruno (or Fred for a deeper position either). Dybala doesn't change any of that if he actually comes, my guess is he'd be false 9 and replace Ronaldo.

Woodzy

Dybala isn't needed, and just because "we need bodies in attack" doesn't mean we should sign any free agent on the market.

He's going to a tactical headache then we'll struggle to get rid. There's no way this is going to end well for both.

Better than this useless signing, we should try to sign a defensive midfielder.
Surely signing an attacking player for free makes it much more likely we would have the budget for a defensive midfielder?

JB7

I'm not sure if you're posting this to say he's injury prone or not but the way people were going on I expected much worse than this. So he had one big injury in 20/21 and then missed a number of games last season (though I have to be honest, I'm not buying "muscle fatigue" which is clearly another word for "rested", same goes for the "hip flexor" for a couple of games they were nailed on to win after immediately after his thigh injury), however the games missed weren't generally big games for them. He certainly missed a lot less games than Cavani who he'd be replacing. It's not ideal but if Ten Hag wants him, he's another relatively low risk free agent who would likely do a good job for us as a false 9.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s our next “old guy” superstar Sanchez, stopgap free/cheap striker signing and ultimately he’s not going to be good enough either. At least he’s only 29….Why can’t we just sign a fecking striker entering their prime? Someone to really enjoy watching again for a few years. This experiment has been shite. I really don’t like the profile of player and lack of imagination we show when finding a target for this role. Imagine getting Cavani or Zlatan in their prime. That’s the kind of player we deserve with the money we spend.

Gerald G

He's past his best. He has not played well at all for a while. This is a hard pass and would be an AWFUL transfer.

Berbaclass

And he missed a lot in 20/21 too. Go to the Juve forum and see what they think. They echo some of the same thoughts. His problem previously was that he was injured for key games which is what I alluded to. Now he’s just injured more often in general.

Nevertheless, I would still take the punt simply because of how dire our options are as long as he’s on moderate wages. Still unsure on how he’d be integrated.
I don’t need to look at the Juve forum I watch a lot of Juventus.

To me he is worth taking a risk. He’s a player I’ve loved watching over the last 5-10 years ever since he signed from Palermo. He’s actually one of my favourite non-United players and part of the reason I always try and catch Juventus when they’re on TV here, which tends to be a lot.

Mainoldo

Only thing I would say watching him recently. He’s aggressive and presses well considering his general appearance on the pitch.

JB7

It's because he's an unorthodox forward. Not a striker, not a winger, not an attacking midfielder but a mix of all 3 combined and in between. This made him a bit of a tactical mess with Juventus and it's exactly why Juventus are moving away from him because without him they gain an extra number in centre midfield, and they can employ a more balanced attack and defense.

This signing would make no sense. We need a striker, a winger, an RB, and another CM. Would be a very United signing though, carrying our decade long trend of not being able to properly assess the needs of our starting XI and the overall squad. A club run by amateurs.
To be honest I read your first paragraph and from that the signing makes perfect sense. You describe perfectly a player Ten Hag would look at as a false 9.

He’s our next “old guy” superstar Sanchez, stopgap free/cheap striker signing and ultimately he’s not going to be good enough either. At least he’s only 29….Why can’t we just sign a fecking striker entering their prime? Someone to really enjoy watching again for a few years. This experiment has been shite. I really don’t like the profile of player and lack of imagination we show when finding a target for this role. Imagine getting Cavani or Zlatan in their prime. That’s the kind of player we deserve with the money we spend.
He's 28. Given the age of most top forwards around the world at present surely there is an argument he has not yet come into his prime? Just playing devils advocate.

Berbaclass

I'm not sure if you're posting this to say he's injury prone or not but the way people were going on I expected much worse than this. So he had one big injury in 20/21 and then missed a number of games last season (though I have to be honest, I'm not buying "muscle fatigue" which is clearly another word for "rested", same goes for the "hip flexor" for a couple of games they were nailed on to win after immediately after his thigh injury), however the games missed weren't generally big games for them. He certainly missed a lot less games than Cavani who he'd be replacing. It's not ideal but if Ten Hag wants him, he's another relatively low risk free agent who would likely do a good job for us as a false 9.
I posted it with the intention of proving he’s not as injury prone as being made out. I’m fully behind thus deal if it comes to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.