Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Pogba in a midfield two isn't the best strategy unless you're playing weak opposition who will happily surrender ball possession.

If Ole hasn't already figured this out, he will do shortly.

I'd much rather see Pogba (assuming he's still here) freed up from the responsibilities of a deep midfield role.
Dybala and Martial/Rashford in front of Pogba is the solution for the tougher and away games. Otherwise we will have to make sacrifices and at least one player will play out of position. At most home games we can allow to play Pogba a bit deeper, since we will attack anyway and the opponents park the bus most of the time.

Alemar

As for DM, I think I could be fine with the cover we have as I don't rate Longstaff really.
It’s not like we need “cover for DM” - we need a DM in the first place. What we have is only one former DM who is well past it and one 17yo Garner. Neither of them likely can “cover”, let alone play this position now

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7

I wonder if adding Darmian straight up would get it done to satisfy all sides and parties

izec

It is. As @Fosu-Mens said if the whole team press effectively, he should be more then fine.
Yeah, he seems lazy when he is unhappy/played out of position. But if his confidence is there and he is playing regularly and on it, he is putting the shift in. Last season at Juve was a write off in many ways.

croadyman

Pretty certain it will never happen in a million years but does anyone think there is a way of fitting in Bruno & Dybala.

You would think that the team would be way too open but what if McTominay played in a DM type role.

Could that work at all in this highly unlikely situation?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Any chance of this happening? Mostly only know him by his Fm 18 stats. Would be awesome to have a more technical attacker on the team, but he's not a great goalscorer is he?

Brophs

The One and Only
Pretty certain it will never happen in a million years but does anyone think there is a way of fitting in Bruno & Dybala.

You would think that the team would be way too open but what if McTominay played in a DM type role.

I could imagine us lining up with Dybala slightly behind Rashford and with Fernandes playing in a traditional attacking midfield role. For Sporting Lisbon.

izec

I dont see Dybala + Pogba + Bruno/SMS working, they would all kind of get in the way, so they would need to play out of position to balance things out. We would get cut open through the middle. Thats a gung ho approach for the last 20 minutes chasing a goal or two

Dybala + Pogba
Dybala + SMS
Dybala + Bruno is all fine

SirAnderson

It’s not like we need “cover for DM” - we need a DM in the first place. What we have is only one former DM who is well past it and one 17yo Garner. Neither of them likely can “cover”, let alone play this position now
Personally, and this is just my opinion, but McTominay can fill that role, cause I don't seem him as an attacking Midfielder, and actually doesn't well at times snuffing out the danger before it gets to the back 4, but since he is young, he will make mistakes and that is something I suppose we don't have time for, so we need someone right now. Problem is, who is that someone?

Anyway, on to the thread itself, despite our glaring defensive woes, I think equally our problem last year was that our attack was sooooo disjointed and didn't gel because of the different kind of players we had. I think Ole is currently addressing this issue with the signings he's brought in and with the names we are being linked it, Dybala included. Think the chemistry, as demonstrated so far during pre-season is going to be our key to unlocking the attacking football we so crave.

Fosu-Mens

Could work, but i do not see how you could fit Dybala, Rashford, Martial, Bruno and Pogba in at the same time. That team would be unbalanced, unless Bruno and Pogba were able to work out who got the forward and defensive responsebilities. Also the amount of shots Pogba, Rashford and Bruno takes would not make our attack work at all. Dybala, Martial and Pogba is a good beginning towards something. Adding two balancing midfielder behind them and potentially someone like Sancho next season would very interesting.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
The reason I can’t see this happening is because Dybala’s good pal Pogba wants out. Even if Pogba stays, for any top player that’s not a good sign. Said this before but I really don’t agree with us buying players who solely want to come here for the money instead of the club/project.

future2future

I think it can go either way: He is a great player who can score goals. Last year he didn't play his best, mostly because of the changing system with Ronaldo coming in at Juve.

In potential could be the creative brain we need, I think with the system Ole wants to play he needs to work harder when we lose the ball, but it could very well be a great succes

Infra-red

Personally, and this is just my opinion, but McTominay can fill that role, cause I don't seem him as an attacking Midfielder, and actually doesn't well at times snuffing out the danger before it gets to the back 4, but since he is young, he will make mistakes and that is something I suppose we don't have time for, so we need someone right now. Problem is, who is that someone?

Anyway, on to the thread itself, despite our glaring defensive woes, I think equally our problem last year was that our attack was sooooo disjointed and didn't gel because of the different kind of players we had. I think Ole is currently addressing this issue with the signings he's brought in and with the names we are being linked it, Dybala included. Think the chemistry, as demonstrated so far during pre-season is going to be our key to unlocking the attacking football we so crave.
While I appreciate the optimism, we've signed two players, one of which is a kid from the Championship.

None of the primary issues with the squad have yet been addressed this summer, and we do not have long to go.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
People that say he’s lazy really should check the facts

That’s Dybala’s heat map from his prime 17/18 season and as you can see, he drifts to the right and is quite fluid covering all areas of the pitch. I think United would get a swiss army knife if they can pull it off as he’d knock down multiple birds with one stone being as multidimensional as he is.

Last edited:

izec

The reason I can’t see this happening is because Dybala’s good pal Pogba wants out. Even if Pogba stays, for any top player that’s not a good sign. Said this before but I really don’t agree with us buying players who solely want to come here for the money instead of the club/project.
Maybe he is coming for both. A chat with Ole will convince him

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maybe Pogba wanted out because of our struggles in the last few years and the lack of ambition showed by the club to turn that around? In the last 2 years, we signed Fred, Dalot, Wan Bissaka and Daniel James... hardly anything that says they want to turn the situation around quickly. If we were to bring in Dybala, that would be a big positive for the players as they'd see it as a statement of intent from the club, Pogba would be happier as not only is his good mate coming in, but also a top attacking player at a good age that could actually help us get to that top level again.

For Dybala, why wouldn't he want to come unless he just doesn't want the premier league? He could be a key player at one of the historical top 3 clubs in the world, Pogba's here, and he would probably believe in himself to be a catalyst to get us back up to the top. And money of course. Plenty of reasons to suggest it could be a great signing if it were to happen, and I'd bet it would be more of like what we all expected Alexis Sanchez to be (as Dybala is at a good age and hungry, whereas Sanchez was at the end of his prime/past it, and achieved plenty already).

RedTechsture

Supports
Shrewsbury Town FC
The other week during the earlier pre season, and the media asked Ole about Pogba and his new challenge comments, Oles wry smile and "I can give him a new challenge" may have been inclusive of his friend Dybala incoming :)...... *Wakes up for cornflakes*
Of course for me thats wishful thinking. Id like Dybala to come. Its a no brainer for me, Dybala in the #10 threading balls through left right and centre for the pace of Rashford and MArtial, or Lukaku stood pointing at the corner flag and then it bouncing off his shin.
I just dont see this coming off at all sadly. Hope im wrong

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Maybe he is coming for both. A chat with Ole will convince him
Why? As much as I believe in Ole he’s, comparatively, an unproven novice. Why would Dybala be blown away? We’ve had a bang average transfer window all things considered.

Alemar

That’s Dybala’s heat map from his prime 17/18 season and as you can see, he drifts to the right and is quite fluid covering all areas of the pitch. I think United would get a swiss army knife if they can pull it off as he’d knock down multiple birds with one stone being as multidimensional as he is.
He is taking corners it seems from the map? Excellent, we need corner taker badly

Jacob

The only way I can see him fit in is in a very fluid front three, starting on the right with a license to roam, freeing up space behind for AWB.

Martial, Rashford and Dybala. Rashford on the left.

kirk buttercup

Why? As much as I believe in Ole he’s, comparatively, an unproven novice. Why would Dybala be blown away? We’ve had a bang average transfer window all things considered.
Agree it has been pretty average . Great to get AWB sorted and hopefully James turns out well he seems to have the right attitude . But if we dont start getting things over the line it will get harder to attract bigger players especially with our Superstars like pogba looking to leave . Dybala and Bruno in my opinion would improve us alot

SirAnderson

While I appreciate the optimism, we've signed two players, one of which is a kid from the Championship.

None of the primary issues with the squad have yet been addressed this summer, and we do not have long to go.
I understand your point, but the point I was making was addressing the issue of the disjointed attack we saw last season.
Having fast players mixed with slow, Lukaku with his touch, Mata with his pace and Matic as we all know.
With having a front 5 depending on the game that is full of pace and quick, I think he is looking to address that specific issue.

Regarding your point of primary issues. Yes there are other issues that need addressing too, and again I think some of them are being address.
1. I think with Maguire getting over the line, will help with one of them.
2. Think the Young issue has been one for a while, which Wan-Bissaka has address more than adequately.
Point is, I see us going in a better direction that before with the kind of signings we going for. Call that optimism, sure.

Some may not see it or think it good, but each have their opinion in that case. Dybala while still rumored, could also help acheive what Ole, I believe, is trying to do.

Halal Jalal

To be honest I think the Premier league will be too much for him.
He'll just become another Mata
Mata at Chelsea was one of the best PL players, a key player for them before Mourinho returned - and Dybala is better than Mata has ever been.

Kag

Would fit the left footed goalscoring attacker mould we need quite nicely, wouldn’t he?

Pogba isn’t an issue either. The suggestion that we can’t buy players that can play at #10 because of him is ludicrous. In an attacking team that encourages flexibility then it can work. Perhaps not against City at the Etihad, but every game we play isn’t City at the Etihad.

I doubt the whole rumour entirely, but if we can bin off Lukaku and bring in a versatile forward in the mould of Dybala then we’ll be laughing.

The more likely scenario is that United are using Juventus to get a proper fee from Inter.

Abhinav

Not sure if this is just paper talk but this guy has a rocket of a left foot. Very Van Persie like in his finishing. Apart from last season he has got good stats, wouldn't be a bad option at all to add some fire power up top.

::sonny::

Looks like this clears the way for Lukaku to Juvé
They are disperate to sell for wage balance reasons (after signed Rabiot, Ramsey, De Ligt, Demiral)

They have problems to offload Higuain, they will try to sell Dybala, and Khedira and one between Bonucci and Rugani I suppose

Classical Mechanic

For the whole season?!

How much ground does he cover per game? Over a whole season it's not surprise he's appeared in so many areas of the pitch.

SaintMuppet

Serious question. Is Dybala suited to Premiership football?

His current league is way slower and less competitive than ours. Just because a player is good now does not mean he can make the transition here. Lifestyle alone is way different over there.

Code-CX

While I don't think Dybala is what we need, trading him for Lukaku would be great business for us and absolutely horrible for Juve :lol:. No way their board is that inept, right?

::sonny::

Serious question. Is Dybala suited to Premiership football?

His current league is way slower and less competitive than ours. Just because a player is good now does not mean he can make the transition here. Lifestyle alone is way different over there.
And we have had a very good experiences with argies in general

Heinze
Tevez
Di Maria

Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.