Pele

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Pele is the reason why I‘ve looked and studied at classic football. He changes a lot of my perspectives about watching football.

I wish him the best and peaceful, my hero.

You’ve an untouchable career, the King.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Been intrigued by him since I was a kid and his name always came up when the conversation turned to greatest footballer ever. Man is synonymous with football like almost nobody else. Absolute legend in the truest sense of the word.

RedDevilQuebecois

He is my father's favorite player; Mexico 1970 is always there among my father's fondest memories. With everything I have seen and read about Pelé, I don't think anyone will ever come close to him as a revolutionary force in the beautiful game.

Simply the very best.

Matt007a

Suffers from not been seen live by 95% of all Internet users. Gets a lot of unfair criticism for playing in Brazil too. I think some younger fans think the Brazilian league of the 70s compares to the current version which it absolutely doesn’t.

It’ll be a shame to lose another GOAT of football so soon after we lost Maradona. We’ve never seen a 17 year old tear up a world cup since and maybe never will.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
That’s a great video. You look at the sheer variety of players in it, their different roles, their different skills …

…. and he did the lot, before them.

Most of us grow up with the legend that is Brazilian football and a lot of us grew up watching Pele and have watched and rewatched hours of video since.

Some athletes transcend sport.. the Woods, the Jordan’s of this world. So did/does Pele.

This one is going to suck.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I never really say there is a greatest player of all time, but if I were to pick one out of the five emperors, Pele would probably be number one. The thing is he had a big physical advantage over his peers in terms of his athleticism. Amazing in the air, great passer, amazing ball handling ability, two footed, lightning quick and great finisher and great vision. The only player in football that is comparable to him is Johan Cruijff.

It's only in the last decade that Pele's legacy has been disrespected. It's a shame that most of the tapes about Pele in his prime got destroyed by fire but you can see how good he was compared to the best in Europe in his prime online.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I’m visiting Brazil atm and just had a long walk at Praia do Recreio (outside Rio) and I have already seen old men and women crying when reading the sad news.

It will probably be a long night and I expect the whole nation to pay tribute to the King when it’s time. Yesterday it was full of people with yellow shirts dancing outside the bar streets in Jardim Oceano/Barra da Tijuca and now this.

On side note my father saw a young man called Pele in Stockholm 1958. My father is dead since ten years ago but he told me that Brazil took his heart that day he first saw them play. He never had a chance to visit Brazil so now I do it for him.Brazilian wife, two bonus children, grandchildren (all living in São Paulo) close to Albert Einstein His-ital.

Now my thoughts go to Pele and his family.and I’m already crying, what a sad day…

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

He's in stages of Heart & Kidney failure now according to sources in Brazil

As per Albert Einstein Hospitals bulletin

Ladron de redcafe

He's in stages of Heart & Kidney failure now according to sources in Brazil
Grim news. It's only been two years since Maradona passed and 6 since Cruyff passed. All the elite legends are going.

Hope he pulls through, but that isn't good news.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Grim news. It's only been two years since Maradona passed and 6 since Cruyff passed. All the elite legends are going.

Since the first reports that treatment wasn't working at that he's on "end of life care" it's doubtful he will ever leave hospital its all about managing the pain that cancer causes as it progresses now.

Very sad to a true legend of the sports world.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My heart skipped when I saw the bump and the news haven’t helped settle my nerves.

If the previous reports are true and he’s on palliative care I just hope that he goes out in piece. Legend.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
My heart skipped when I saw the bump and the news haven’t helped settle my nerves.

If the previous reports are true and he’s on palliative care I just hope that he goes out in piece. Legend.
Heart failure and Kidney failure it's not something you can overcome, true legend though wish I could have seen him play or that there was more televised footage of him.

I also can't imagine the amount of mourning that will happen in Brazil and the sports world, a true icon of all sport.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

You don’t come back from what he has; the hope is it’s swift and not a drawn out affair.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
A jolt of negative of emotions passes through me whenever I get a pele thread bumped and im far from his biggest fan.

Hope we could enjoy his present in the world for few more years, the footballing world will be just a tad more empty without him in it.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
A jolt of negative of emotions passes through me whenever I get a pele thread bumped and im far from his biggest fan.

Hope we could enjoy his present in the world for few more years, the footballing world will be just a tad more empty without him in it.
I hate to be grim but I don't see him being here in 2023, heart failure is not something you can really treat. Years really is not going to happen, we're talking weeks or months at best here.

His family are all going to be bedside to enjoy Christmas with him, it's one of those where with a loved one in very poor health you just go and enjoy the last Christmas and the last week or so with them.

It's not one of those where you come out of Hospital from, but what a legend. I really wish I got to see him play but born too late for that obviously and we have some footage but not a great deal.

Obviously its of terrible sadness to lose such a iconic figure of the game, I wouldn't mind the Balon d'Or being named the Pele Award or something for his status in the game.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I hate to be grim but I don't see him being here in 2023, heart failure is not something you can really treat. Years really is not going to happen, we're talking weeks or months at best here.

His family are all going to be bedside to enjoy Christmas with him, it's one of those where with a loved one in very poor health you just go and enjoy the last Christmas and the last week or so with them.

It's not one of those where you come out of Hospital from, but what a legend. I really wish I got to see him play but born too late for that obviously and we have some footage but not a great deal.

Obviously its of terrible sadness to lose such a iconic figure of the game, I wouldn't mind the Balon d'Or being named the Pele Award or something for his status in the game.
You're right but I guess in moments of desperation we rather cling to the possibilities of miracles as ludicrous as it may seem...

To me it seemed all the great icons of the past are passing on one by one some sooner than others we already have lost cryuff and Diego to imagine we could lose another of the very greatest is harsh to say the least.

In my eyes pele is far from perfect and In fact I tend to agree with romario's infamous quote but the mand had such a momentous impact on football that it's hard to see it without him, him and ali were such unrivaled sporting icons of the 60s and soon we would have neither.

It's hard to imagine a worty tribute to the man after his passing, perhaps renaming the maracana in his honor although it's the stadium of his rivals flamengo so maybe that's not appropriate.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
This is gonna hurt when he passes. When he came to the States after I moved there we used to watch him on the Cosmos and I saw him play his last game live at Giant Stadium. He was just bigger than life as an athlete.

gibers

The King of Football. The only player that was close to being this complete was Johan Cruijff.
The first video is ridiculous :lol:

Literally like a Messi video in his prime today.

Unreal player. People using the time period to denigrate him

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

"We continue here, in struggle and in faith. One more night together."

You know how things are when they're sleeping in the room like that, hope they have a great last christmas with him

wangyu

Soon he will reclaim his throne as the goat

This is Pele:

Ronaldo like headers: check
Long distance screamers like nobody today: check
Long mazy dribbles like Maradona and Messi: check
Free kicks a la Messi: check
Overhead kicks ala Zlatan and Rooney: check
Getting kicked like Neymar and Maradona: checked
Having insane Messi like ball control: check
Whipping ball over players like Ronaldinho for fun: check
Intricate passing ability like Cruyff and Messi: check
Being strong and powerful as Weah: check
Dropping deep and creating play like Kane: check
Scoring Godly amounts of goals like Muller, Ronaldo, Puskas or Messi: check
Scoring a tremendous variety of goals like Rooney: check
Flicks, dummies and backheels like Zidane: check

and look at the vids, these defenders stick to him like mosquitos, he was instoppable.

Last edited:

Kulspruta

Translated from a recent article in brazilian media:

"

Before the World Cup in Qatar, FourFourTwo magazine published a list of the 100 greatest football players in history. Lionel Messi was already leading, even without leading his country to the world title. He was followed by Diego Armando Maradona and Cristiano Ronaldo. Pelé only appears in fourth place. The time has passed. The meticulously recorded, transmitted and repeated feats of Messi and Cristiano were imposed on the faded images of the King of football. Maradona was even watched live by those who now create this type of ranking, and his amazing ball skills are fresh in their minds.

FourFourTwo 's list is debatable. Cristiano did not lead his team to a World Cup win. Pelé led Brazil in two and won three, Maradona and, now, Messi starred in just one World Cup each. In terms of the number of goals, the Brazilian is also yet to be surpassed – he scored more than a thousand, while the youngest Argentine is approaching 800, slightly less than the Portuguese’s more than 810. Maradona is far from the three, with 345 goals.

Counting only official games, Messi and Cristiano have already surpassed Pelé's 757 goals, but lose on average: the King reached the astonishing mark of 0.92 (almost one) per game, while rivals revolve around 0.70 and 0.80 per game — also very impressive. Maradona has half a goal per game under his belt. In view of the numbers, it is possible to argue that football today is much more competitive, requires more athletic preparation and tactical discipline, which would disadvantage the Brazilian.

Another issue at hand is plastic. “Pelé scored more goals. Cristiano Ronaldo won more trophies. Both lived more stable lives than the overweight former cocaine addict who comes second on this list, whose relationship with football became increasingly strained as his career stretched on. If you've ever seen Diego Maradona with a soccer ball at his feet, you'll understand” his place on the list, argues FourFourTwo .

That is, the ranking depends on the parameters adopted and, therefore, the list in question is not wrong. Each one makes the list they want, with the criteria they choose. The mistake is in putting Pelé in this dispute. The Santos idol is a classic, it has survived time. He ended his career in 1977 and, 50 years later, he continues to serve as a benchmark for what excellence in football means. Pelé is Cervantes, Dante, Goethe, Pushkin, Camões, Molière. Whoever comes later, no matter how good he is, will always be in his debt.

Pelé is the founding myth of the ace. His deeds are the benchmark. For the goals he scored, the dribbles he drew through the opposing defenses, the unshakable power of the runs, for the longevity of his career and the firmness of his body in the face of relentless blows — the yellow and red cards appeared only in 1966, when he already he had been world champion twice. Comparing him to the stars that came later, even to the “God” Maradona, makes no sense.

Maradona, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Zico, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Puskas, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho Gaúcho, Romário and Zidane are among the best players in history. And perhaps Messi will establish himself as the best of them. But Pelé is the best player beyond history, outside time and space. Pele is football.

"