Pep Guardiola: I don't remember SAF's Man United job offer, my English was not good

Kevinb5555

Honestly I think both Pep and Mou aren't long term trainers. What makes you think Mourinho will build you more success for the future? It's definitely not his track record, since he's never stayed for more than a few (3?) seasons at any of his clubs. Same with Pep, even though he's successful where he goes, he leaves after a few years, either needing a sabbatical (being an insane person is tiring I guess) or a change of scenery.

That being said, I don't think having the same manager for twenty years is a prerequisite for success, look at Bayern, Barcelona and Real, they switch managers quite often and seem to do well. The staff behind the manager DoF, TD and what not should be stable, the guy shouting at the lads from the sidelines can switch up every few years just fine. The lads themselves change all the time too, so why can't the trainer?
The only issue here is those clubs you mentioned Bayern, Barca and Real they all have in common that they have a long-term board who purchase the players with input from the manager. This is something we do not have and if we are going to change our manager ever 3/5 years we need a different structure in place so there is consistency with purchases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I wonder which restaurant they went to? I want to go.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
A fully functioning Mourinho side will dominate the PL for a decade at a club like United - we've always shown we're willing to stick by our mangers if they're worth it.

Guardiola's here for one more season. He'll win one or two titles and maybe a CL. After that, City will take on a second tier manager (only Pep and Jose are tier 1 at the moment).

Picking Mourinho over Guardiola will result in more success by 2027, imo. It's difficult to accept right now, but I'd rather have a top class manager who's enamoured with the club.

Pep's got his team following his orders much quicker, but that's because he and Pellegrini shared a lot in common. By contrast, LvG and Mourinho couldn't be any more different. I accept that Moyes was a bad choice in terms of his overall ability, but in terms of style, he wasn't the worst option because he only needed to keep SAF's momentum going (which he failed at, tbf). By taking on LvG after Moyes, we fecked up the continuity and set back Mourinho's eventual revolution.
Crikey, what a crock!

Since Sir Matt only one Manager was not fired and you came within one bad result of sacking him by all accounts.
Guardiola may stay longer than one more season, he's not yet decided. My inclination is that he'll go in 2020 or 21. We don't know who will replace him but whoever it is will be briefed to carry on the style of play that Pep has established. The next Pep may already be on the staff (Arteta or Torrent maybe), after all being a fraud and a chequebook Manager he won't be too hard to replace, will he?
Mourinho is a very good Manager IMO and is worth sticking with but I do fear that he only has this season and next to capture a PL or CL before the pressure gets to much for the man or the club.

Number1

I personally think both Pep and Jose are both short-term managers. You can see with Jose's buys in particular, he likes those short-term buys (late 20's/already established/not much sell on fee), more so than building for the future ie:- clear indication he's not looking to stay at a club for the long term and wanting short-term success, him still living in a hotel after 18 months also tells me he doesn't see Manchester as his long-term home.

At least Pep builds for the future though, so maybe he would have been a better fit for United.

But yeah both in their management careers so far get success and move on. Why? Once players have had success it's even harder to motivate them and stay hungry - Saw that problem with Jose's Chelsea recently.

Sir Alex was a master at making players stay hungry after success and in my opinion that's what made him the greatest, many managers have had success to but keep having success is a lot harder and until Pep/Jose stay with a club for 7-10 years and win silverware every season, they'll always be a tier below the likes of Sir Alex in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Guardiola may stay longer than one more season, he's not yet decided. My inclination is that he'll go in 2020 or 21. We don't know who will replace him but whoever it is will be briefed to carry on the style of play that Pep has established..
For me, this sums up the essential difference between the two clubs at this moment in time.
City have been planning and building towards a shared target for a number of years, in contrast, United's decisions seem to have been all over the place, knee jerk reactions...!!
Terrible managerial appointments, both men with totally different views of playing style and the players required.
Good players sold for a pittance, average players bought for a fortune.
Players being played out of position because the manager doesn't know what to do with them.
Its all been rather shambolic..!

Only since Mourinho joined, does there appear to be any logical plan in place, although having said that, his track record of not sticking around for more than 3 years doesn't bode well in that respect.

Ainu

I personally think both Pep and Jose are both short-term managers. You can see with Jose's buys in particular, he likes those short-term buys (late 20's/already established/not much sell on fee), more so than building for the future ie:- clear indication he's not looking to stay at a club for the long term and wanting short-term success, him still living in a hotel after 18 months also tells me he doesn't see Manchester as his long-term home.

At least Pep builds for the future though, so maybe he would have been a better fit for United.

But yeah both in their management careers so far get success and move on. Why? Once players have had success it's even harder to motivate them and stay hungry - Saw that problem with Jose's Chelsea recently.

Sir Alex was a master at making players stay hungry after success and in my opinion that's what made him the greatest, many managers have had success to but keep having success is a lot harder and until Pep/Jose stay with a club for 7-10 years and win silverware every season, they'll always be a tier below the likes of Sir Alex in my opinion.
Really? During his time here, José has brought in 7 players with an average age of 25.7 when they arrived. This includes 34 year old Zlatan on a free which skews it a fair bit. Of the 7 arrivals, 4 were aged 24 or younger. I would not call that particularly short-term.

Number1

Really? During his time here, José has brought in 7 players with an average age of 25.7 when they arrived. This includes 34 year old Zlatan on a free which skews it a fair bit. Of the 7 arrivals, 4 were aged 24 or younger. I would not call that particularly short-term.
I also include players he tried to sign.

Perisic/Bale etc.

Would you say Jose Mourihno has a reputation of a manager who builds for the future? I wouldn't, Chelsea lost talents like Salah/Lukuku/De Bruyne whilst Jose was manager, since then 2 have developed into world class players and the other he re-signed for a world record transfer fee.

He's been criticized this season by a few members on here for his management of Martial. I don't believe Jose Mourinho is the right manager at all in building a team for the long term.

Ainu

I also include players he tried to sign.

Perisic/Bale etc.

Would you say Jose Mourihno has a reputation of a manager who builds for the future? I wouldn't, Chelsea lost talents like Salah/Lukuku/De Bruyne whilst Jose was manager, since then 2 have developed into world class players and the other he re-signed for a world record transfer fee.

He's been criticized this season by a few members on here for his management of Martial. I don't believe Jose Mourinho is the right manager at all in building a team for the long term.
Honestly I don't care what sort of transfer record or reputation he had before coming here, I only care about what he's doing right now. And right now, his transfers haven't been short-term at all. I also don't get the stuff about Martial, he's been great this season, and as far as I know he's still being managed by Mourinho.