Pep Guardiola: "Raiola offered me Mkhitaryan and Pogba two months ago.

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
Yes but he named our players. One of them our star player. He involved us. Cheap shot.

He's doing United a favour by exposing Raiola regarding his actions behind your club's back which concerns one of your players. He's also doing Pogba a favour if Pogba doesn't know anything about it, or also exposing Pogba if he does.

Of course you won't sell Pogba to your rival and Guardiola also said "we can't buy him, he's too expensive". Here the aim is to expose a blood sucker agent trying to whore your player behind their back, maybe to get him a lucrative new contract or to market his availability to several rival clubs to get lucrative offers?

Would you rather not know? Do you think Jose or your club would rather not know?

Sure they could've quietly told United people through proper channels but what better way to expose a guy like Raiola and his actions like slapping him on the face with this and leaving the matter to United to deal with?

It could also be possible that Pep might've shared this information with Jose before..

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If true thus won't help Pogba's popularity with the fans one bit. There's no way an agent does something like this without the players knowledge. Either is total bullshit or Pogba can pack up and leave now for all I care.
If Pogba demanded a move to City he’d become one of the most hated United players of all time. Not even he is that stupid.

I don’t think for one second that Pogba instructed Raiola to approach city. Not in a million years.

Minimalist

Sanchez.

Pogba isn't even in our top 5 best performers.
Well he is one of our better players.

Missed too many games and his bottom level is pub-player stuff but his best still puts him as one of our best players.

Denis79

If Pogba demanded a move to City he’d become one of the most hated United players of all time. Not even he is that stupid.

I don’t think for one second that Pogba instructed Raiola to approach city. Not in a million years.
Let's hope he didn't, it has happened before. Still think it's all mindgames by Baldy. But if Raiola did approach City I'll have a hard time believing Pogba was unaware of this.

ash_86

If this doesn't get a reaction out of Pogba on the pitch, nothing ever will. Going to be quite interesting considering its a derby

clarkydaz

He's doing United a favour by exposing Raiola regarding his actions behind your club's back which concerns one of your players. He's also doing Pogba a favour if Pogba doesn't know anything about it, or also exposing Pogba if he does.

Of course you won't sell Pogba to your rival and Guardiola also said "we can't buy him, he's too expensive". Here the aim is to expose a blood sucker agent trying to whore your player behind their back, maybe to get him a lucrative new contract or to market his availability to several rival clubs to get lucrative offers?

Would you rather not know? Do you think Jose or your club would rather not know?

Sure they could've quietly told United people through proper channels but what better way to expose a guy like Raiola and his actions like slapping him on the face with this and leaving the matter to United to deal with?

It could also be possible that Pep might've shared this information with Jose before..
Pep has now weakened their bargaining value saying City cant afford him. for an undeserved payrise

meninred

Unbelievable and damaging news to pogba if it is true..could also be mind game from pep before utd game.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Except the whole world knows this is how Raiola has always gone about when trying to get better deals for himself and his players.

Pep's no saint, stop acting like he's one.

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
Pep has now weakened their bargaining value saying City cant afford him. for an undeserved payrise
The way I see it, he pretty much threw Raiola at you by exposing his doublecross. I don't think he or anyone at City thinks you'd sell Pogba to City or any other rival. What Raiola does here is going behind your back, trying to whore your player to nearest rival, stir some shit up to get more pay out of this. Very unethical. A very deserved response by Guardiola.

If I were Ed Woodward or Jose or whoever's in charge of these affairs, I would've told Pogba to either deny any knowledge of Raiola's actions and fire the agent, or face consequences.

Reactions: Varun

Mr PG

The fact that Pogba and Miki were reportedly offered to city at the same time they were having issues here ..points me to believe this was a serious offer...not for improved terms but as an actual transfer. Nobody in their right minds would be asking for a raise when you're sitting on the bench.

Water Melon

Exactly. I do not get why people are angry at Pep. He is exposing either Mino or Mino+Paul. Looks like latter, as I would not believe that Raiola approached Pep without Pogba's approval. Many thanks to Guardiola for spitting out the truth. The shite of Raiola needs to be kept far away from our club.

tomaldinho1

The fact that Pogba and Miki were reportedly offered to city at the same time they were having issues here ..points me to believe this was a serious offer...not for improved terms but as an actual transfer. Nobody in their right minds would be asking for a raise when you're sitting on the bench.
You haven't met Raiola

Ban

Unbelievable and damaging news to pogba if it is true..could also be mind game from pep before utd game.
Maybe Pogba didn't know anything bout it. I bet he didn't. So it isn't and shouldn't be damaging.

And who knows maybe Pep called Jose afterwards and said to him it wasn't aimed at him. :D

Irrational.

Just when I thought Raiola couldn't get any more cretinous. I can't imagine Pep would make something like this up. He's chosen the perfect opportunity to reveal it, mind.

I suppose if you play with fire you'll get burnt. We should never have involved ourselves with that arsehole. Paul needs to fire that cnut ASAP.

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
Except the whole world knows this is how Raiola has always gone about when trying to get better deals for himself and his players.

Pep's no saint, stop acting like he's one.
The whole world knows how Raiola is but it's possible that you (the club) didn't know how he was dealing behind your back by offering your players to your rival. The world also knows that you won't sell Pogba to City but that doesn't matter. It's a double cross by an agent who just last week or so attacked Guardiola in public by calling him names while apparently also was offering your players to him (or rather to City) just 2 months ago.

I don't think your club will be greatly shaken by this, but it will further weaken Raiola in his business with United. Pogba should be asked by the club to deny any knowledge of this and fire his agent or face consequences. Do you like dealing with Raiola?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Raiola, you feck fat. Unfortunately, nothing new or unexpected from him.

Pep can do one also, people claiming he only responded to Mino, but no one will care about that and it won't do much harm to Raiola (unless Pogba fires him which will never happen). The whole story will be about Pogba and his status in United like we needed any more of that bs. It's a cnutish thing to do, especially the day before the game.

ash_86

So according to Pep this happened 2 months ago and finally saint Pep found the perfect day to let it out. Looks more than a coincidence.

Denis79

Pep can do one also, people claiming he only responded to Mino, but no one will care about that and it won't do much harm to Raiola (unless Pogba fires him which will never happen). The whole story will be about Pogba and his status in United like we needed any more of that bs. It's a cnutish thing to do, especially the day before the game.
You can't be shocked that Baldy is a cnut? He's just as lovely as Mourinho, just that the media love him for some reason.

Minimalist

I'm glad the Caf is siding with the Man City manager over some random football agent. :lol:

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
It actually doesn't match with Raiola, who is described by his own clients like straightforward and respectful of their desires.
This may have been Raiola's way of applying pressure on Mourinho to play Pogba. I doubt he expected Pep to come out and say this.

Hard to work out the alternative, as there's no way he can have expected us to sell Pogba to City.

RedNed77

Admitted that he offered Pogba or he offered players to city but won't say which players?
IIRC Pogba, Mkhitaryan & Veratti are the only players Raiola has who are of even the remotest interest to city.

Water Melon

It was not cnutish at all. Mino called Pep a dog publicly and only after that did Pep spit out the truth also publicly. If Paul did give a green light to Raiola to contact other clubs, then I do not see anything bad in this piece of news by Guardiola for United. In fact, it could benefit us long-term. Paul can be sold this summer for mega-money and we can buy another central mid or two who would crave to play for us. Also, we will not bend over Paul's demand of an improved contract. Let him justify his current top wages first.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
You can't be shocked that Baldy is a cnut? He's just as lovely as Mourinho, just that the media love him for some reason.
Didn't pay so much attention to him at all, tbh. But, yeah, the man can be a real cnut when things don't go his way like this week.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This may have been Raiola's way of applying pressure on Mourinho to play Pogba. I doubt he expected Pep to come out and say this.

Hard to work out the alternative, as there's no way he can have expected us to sell Pogba to City.
The alternative is that Pep is full of shit, he just heard about a rumor that Raiola was offering Pogba's services and he decided to use some poetic license. Now, why would Raiola offer Pogba's services is open to a range of assumption from contract negotiation to actual unhappiness.

Edit: Also pressure can only be applied if United know about it, so when you use these type of tactics you make sure that people are aware of it.

clarkydaz

It was not cnutish at all. Mino called Pep a dog publicly and only after that did Pep spit out the truth also publicly. If Paul did give a green light to Raiola to contact other clubs, then I do not see anything bad in this for United. In fact, it could benefit us long-term. Paul can be sold this summer for mega-money and we can buy another central mid or two who would crave to play for us. Also, we will not bend over Paul's demand of an improved contract. Let him justify his current top wages first.
And all eyes are on Pogba now, to see if he actually pulls his finger out. No room for half arsing around the pitch

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
The alternative is that Pep is full of shit, he just heard about a rumor that Raiola was offering Pogba's services and he decided to use some poetic license. Now, why would Raiola offer Pogba's services is open to a range of assumption from contract negotiation to actual unhappiness.
Perhaps, but if he's full of shit I'd expect Raiola to look out for Pogba's interests and say as much. Instead, according to the BBC, he's said "I never spoke to Pep Guardiola. I would not speak to him about players; I would speak to Manchester City. They are a fantastic club with a fantastic manager." Not exactly a denial.

Brophs

The One and Only
This is just modern football. A bunch of football people furthering their own interests and/or those of the people they work for.

-In terms of whether this happened, I suspect it did, in some form, as the denials from United and Raiola don't actually deny it happening. Whether or note we would have sold to City, in Jan or otherwise, or whether Raiola would have contacted Pep directly, really isn't the point. Likewise, Pogba's post on Twitter doesn't look to be designed to do much more than get people talking.
-Offering those players suits Raiola's agenda. He doesn't give a shit about United. We're just a big, dumb organisation willing to line his pockets. If someone would pay more he'd link up with them without a second thought.
-I doubt Raiola would have done this without Pogba's knowledge. But equally it might be that Raiola does this stuff on his behalf, to bring about a particular result and Pogba doesn't concern himself with how the sausage is made. Raiola and his ilk are paid to be the bad guys in the eyes of the club.
-With regard to why he'd have made the offer, it could have been for a few reasons:

First, that he actually wanted a move. I think this is unlikely, but not out of the question, as he's already left us in difficult circumstances once and will, I suspect, do it again given the time, albeit I doubt he thought that we'd sell to City. Without even mentioning that he seems to having issues with Mourinho.
Second, it may be to get him Pogba a better deal, particularly in light of the Sanchez deal. I imagine this is most likely. Raiola's no fool. He knows that something like this can be used to exert pressure.
Third, Raiola may have known that offering him to City might bring issues with Mourinho to a head, or make other clubs aware that he was open to a move.
Finally, given the closeness in terms of timing with Mkhitaryan's move, it may just have been him rattling a few cages and playing whatever cards he had at his disposal.

-With regard to Pep, I have no idea why people think he shouldn't throw this stuff back in Raiola's face and, in the process, use it against us at a time when City are being criticised and with a game against us coming up. The use of the word dog was obviously a reference to Raiola's original criticism. Guardiola certainly doesn't owe us anything. Our own manager consistently unsettles teams when given the chance. It's just part of the usual bullshit bingo.

The tl;dr version is that almost everyone involved is an insufferable twat and, if you're daft enough to have expectations of them or put your faith in them, you'll probably be let down.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Raiola would not act unless told by Pogba, now we have the answer why Jose wasnt playing him. This Looks to be the series of Events
  • Pogba is initially happe/Performing well
  • Sanchez signs witha huge wage package
  • Pogba asks for same deal through Raiola, united say, he is in the same Wage bracket.
  • Pogba asks Raiola to look for clubs
  • He starts playing poorly and is shown to cut a poor figure.
  • News about problems between them come out
  • Jose meanwhile drops Pogba
  • United through some sources let it be known, they are fully behind the manager and will sell anyone he wants.

ti vu

It was not cnutish at all. Mino called Pep a dog publicly and only after that did Pep spit out the truth also publicly. If Paul did give a green light to Raiola to contact other clubs, then I do not see anything bad in this piece of news by Guardiola for United. In fact, it could benefit us long-term. Paul can be sold this summer for mega-money and we can buy another central mid or two who would crave to play for us. Also, we will not bend over Paul's demand of an improved contract. Let him justify his current top wages first.
But I thought CAF has moral code of staying classy in silence when someone had a dig at you... Did I imagine the Conte vs Mourinho thread?

Water Melon

And all eyes are on Pogba now, to see if he actually pulls his finger out. No room for half arsing around the pitch
Exactly. If Pep did not spill the beans and Paul left this summer, I'd be calling for Mou's head for wasting our time and money on Paul. Now, if the news are true, I will support Mou's decision to let Pogba go. If Paul is half arsed tomorrow and all of a sudden shines at the WC this summer, then sell him. He has huge potential but he did not show he is that bent on proving his status on the pitch this season. You can have all the talent in the world, but you need CR7/Messi/Keane/Zlatan levels of determination and professionalism to actually be one of the best players in the world.

clarkydaz

But I thought CAF has moral code of staying classy in silence when someone had a dig at you... Did I imagine the Conte vs Mourinho thread?
Can you imagine if some mouthy agent started slating Mourinho's character in public? He would destroy them :lol:

Snafu17

I mean this is Raiola. He will shit stir because he's a shit stirrer. That's just what he does. Then there's this whole other thing where Pogba would've to be convinced and United would never sell anyway.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Perhaps, but if he's full of shit I'd expect Raiola to look out for Pogba's interests and say as much. Instead, according to the BBC, he's said "I never spoke to Pep Guardiola. I would not speak to him about players; I would speak to Manchester City. They are a fantastic club with a fantastic manager." Not exactly a denial.
If they are aiming for something, he move or a new contract then he is looking at Pogba's interests. Denying would only weaken their position. But to make my point clear, it's basically @Brophs's conclusion, trust no one in that story, they are most likely all telling the truth and lying at the same time Pogba, United, Raiola, City and Guardiola.

Moonred

What is this expectation that guardiola should or shouldn’t do anything? He is basically like any one else who would try to do whatever it takes to get an edge ahead of big match. And Raiola is a cnut. We knew that at best of times.