'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Guy Incognito

His side don't look anywhere near match fit. Already playing catch up to Liverpool and hoping they'll burn out is a risky strategy.

padr81

Supports
Man City
is he less of a dinosaur these days than the managers that usually get called for being simply "stuck"? you can give him all the money he wants, I still wouldn't trust him to fix that defence.
13 months since he won the league with 98 points... I think it'll be a little time yet.

cyberman

Pep has to adapt to the fact modern football is geared towards havibg the traits that worked best agianst his style. Playing about the back with Pique and Xavi that forced sides to come out and fill in the gaps is gone. Teams let them have it out wide, press the passing through the middle and hit them hard on transitions.
He is in real danger of being left behind

el3mel

Anyone thinking his transfer record with them has been mostly horrendous ? Most of his signings looked crap or never that good. Only few of them succeeded. Overall the best players for them under his tenure were ones he actually inherited like KDB, D.Silva, Sterling, Fernandinho etc.

His only signings whom I think looked good for them were Walker, B.Silva and Ederson. Maybe you can say Jesus if you're pushing it.

Otherwise, awful transfers.

Shark

@NotShark
He doesn't look so special when he doesn't have world class players in every position, it's as simple as that. Looking at that City team he fielded today I'd say only De Bruyne is in the bracket of player.

Fts 74

Never done 5 seasons at one club before this is his 5th at City.

Couple more performances like that he'll be gone.

Spent millions on defenders but 2 passes your through their midfield and the defence crumbles.

Same old same old it seems he never learns.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Does Pep have a say in City's transfer strategy? Their signings have not really strenghened them. In fact, they still depended on a spine of Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva and Aguero.

Bernardo Silva was a good buy, but others not so much.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You think he is going to sign a new contract?
Honestly I don't know. I think if he's not in a title race come December he won't be offered one. I rate him but if he leaves with 2 titles in 5 seasons he doesn't deserve one.
He has said himself he has to earn it.

90 + 5min

Brilliant manager. Shouldn't even be in the same sentence as sacking.

Wait 2-4 weeks and you'll see them get going. They should also get some injuried players coming back by then.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Never done 5 seasons at one club before this is his 5th at City.

Couple more performances like that he'll be gone.

Spent millions on defenders but 2 passes your through their midfield and the defence crumbles.

Same old same old it seems he never learns.
Rodri was supposed to provide steel to their midfield and stop counter attacks. But he's been very underwhelming.

Castia

Interesting game against Leeds next week. They won’t sit back and will go at City, thats when City struggle.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Rodri was supposed to provide steel to their midfield and stop counter attacks. But he's been very underwhelming.
Thats an understatment, he's fecking useless defensively. If Pep does leave I'd wager he'll be the first one out the door or moved into a no.8 spot.

Lentwood

I say this as someone who really wanted City to beat Liverpool to the title this year (nobody else will get close)

Pep and whoever is in charge of transfers at City have been almost criminally negligent this last 2/3 seasons

ShoePolish

Has he ever done a rebuild job at any club he's been at? Looking back, they had some cracking businesses done under Mancini, now those players have left/are on last legs, and young 'uns haven't steped up. They should've just spent those couple of millions extra and gotten their main defensive targets in, rather than haggling and eventually, moving to alternatives. Not sure how much Messi can still add to this team if he does come next season, that's if Pep is still there after the season. Oh, well, another free run at it for scousers.

Bojan11

I say this as someone who really wanted City to beat Liverpool to the title this year (nobody else will get close)

Pep and whoever is in charge of transfers at City have been almost criminally negligent this last 2/3 seasons
The one good signing they made in recent years was Sane and they sold him.

Revaulx

Does Pep have a say in City's transfer strategy? Their signings have not really strenghened them. In fact, they still depended on a spine of Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva and Aguero.

Bernardo Silva was a good buy, but others not so much.
It’s an interesting question.

Recruiting the two Barcelona backroom boys Begiristain and Soriano was supposed to pave the way to City morphing into Pep golden era Barcelona. Most of the players you mention were signed not just pre-Pep, but pre those two as well. It goes to show that just parachuting in a few key individuals from a successful organisation doesn’t guarantee that success can be replicated.

Lentwood

Has he ever done a rebuild job at any club he's been at? Looking back, they had some cracking businesses done under Mancini, now those players have left/are on last legs, and young 'uns haven't steped up. They should've just spent those couple of millions extra and gotten their main defensive targets in, rather than haggling and eventually, moving to alternatives. Not sure how much Messi can still add to this team if he does come next season, that's if Pep is still there after the season. Oh, well, another free run at it for scousers.
De Bruyne, Sterling, Fernandinho, D. Silva, Aguero and Kompany.

All at City before Pep, all been their best players under Pep. None of them have even come close to being replaced as one by one they get older/move on

AJ Bullet

Found out as a fraud long ago. Klopp and Poch rattled him and he's never recovered since, modern day Keegan...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It’s an interesting question.

Recruiting the two Barcelona backroom boys Begiristain and Soriano was supposed to pave the way to City morphing into Pep golden era Barcelona. Most of the players you mention were signed not just pre-Pep, but pre those two as well. It goes to show that just parachuting in a few key individuals from a successful organisation doesn’t guarantee that success can be replicated.
Its not like Pep's Barcelona were successful owing to their recruitment either, it was a once in a generation academy output.

clarkydaz

Messi was now or never. He has a look of distance and resignation from his team when it doesnt click

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Its not like Pep's Barcelona were successful owing to their recruitment either, it was a once in a generation academy output.
Yep.

If we're talking transfer strategy then Klopp-era Liverpool have probably gotten the most value for their signings with Mane, Salah, Alisson, Van Dijk, Fabinho and Robertson.

always_hoping

Not sure how he was kept on after last season. Flattered to deceive in the CL once more, knock out of the FA Cup by a rookie manager, allowed a team win its first league title for 30 years with 8 games to spare.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brilliant manager. Shouldn't even be in the same sentence as sacking.

Wait 2-4 weeks and you'll see them get going. They should also get some injuried players coming back by then.
Almost had me there, good one!

alexthelion

Yesterday, I watched that famous goal that Messi scored against Real Madrid in CL semi 2010 and was taken aback at how good Pep is.

Messi just glided past five Real Madrid players and touched it pass a stranded Casillas and there was I watching and thinking to myself : "Damn, Barca are so lucky to have a such a genius in charge to make average players produce magic like this".

I look back on Pep's career so far and cannot appreciate him enough.

- He manged to win the Champions League twice with perennial losers Barcelona who never came close to winning it before or after him. Moreover, that side had no business winning it. Especially in 2011, when they were at their peak. They had Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, while United had a 45-year-old Giggs, Park and Carrick. Anyone else in charge, United win that final 5:1 on player quality alone.
- He managed to win the Bundesliga with Bayern three times. I am gonna go out on a limb and say that Bayern may have won some domestic titles even without him but surely those three leagues were the biggest achievement in their history. For example, he managed to get a tap-in merchant such as Lewandowski to score five goals. Amazing.
- He managed to win the title with freakin' City and with a net spend of only 500 million pounds. City, who previously have not won the league since like the 1900s.

All in all, this is a man who completely turns around the fortunes of all the clubs he takes over and I find any discussions of his sacking to be sacrilege.
:lol:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This mofo is gonna have all that money and allow Liverpool to grab two titles uncontested? Never in the history of football has there been a more sackable offence.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Edwards-era Liverpool
No, Liverpool signed plenty of shit with Edwards before Klopp arrived. Markovic, Lambert, Balotelli, Iago Aspas, Luis Alberto, Benteke. Or am I wrong? Was that not Edwards?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
After his spend and the vast resources that went into the preparation to have him at the helm, if he loses 5 before the turn of the year and is 10+ adrift of Liverpool by then, he shouldn’t be offered a new contract.

The argument has been done to death here, but he had a fantastic spine when he arrived and some great players who only packed in the previous season when Pellegrini was completely undermined by his announcement.

He has spent an absolute fortune. 2 leagues and 0 CL in five seasons with his resources isn’t even underwhelming, it would be bordering on criminal. They would be mad to offer him a new deal.

They could have saved themselves a lot of time and money and brought in any number of top coaches.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Yesterday, I watched that famous goal that Messi scored against Real Madrid in CL semi 2010 and was taken aback at how good Pep is.

Messi just glided past five Real Madrid players and touched it pass a stranded Casillas and there was I watching and thinking to myself : "Damn, Barca are so lucky to have a such a genius in charge to make average players produce magic like this".

I look back on Pep's career so far and cannot appreciate him enough.

- He manged to win the Champions League twice with perennial losers Barcelona who never came close to winning it before or after him. Moreover, that side had no business winning it. Especially in 2011, when they were at their peak. They had Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, while United had a 45-year-old Giggs, Park and Carrick. Anyone else in charge, United win that final 5:1 on player quality alone.
- He managed to win the Bundesliga with Bayern three times. I am gonna go out on a limb and say that Bayern may have won some domestic titles even without him but surely those three leagues were the biggest achievement in their history. For example, he managed to get a tap-in merchant such as Lewandowski to score five goals. Amazing.
- He managed to win the title with freakin' City and with a net spend of only 500 million pounds. City, who previously have not won the league since like the 1900s.

All in all, this is a man who completely turns around the fortunes of all the clubs he takes over and I find any discussions of his sacking to be sacrilege.
:lol:

Anyway, even as a Barca fan I can admit that Pep is a very flawed manager. A good coach, but he has some very obvious flaws.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
After his spend and the vast resources that went into the preparation to have him at the helm, if he loses 5 before the turn of the year and is 10+ adrift of Liverpool by then, he shouldn’t be offered a new contract.

The argument has been done to death here, but he had a fantastic spine when he arrived and some great players who only packed in the previous season when Pellegrini was completely undermined by his announcement.

He has spent an absolute fortune. 2 leagues and 0 CL in five seasons with his resources isn’t even underwhelming, it would be bordering on criminal. They would be mad to offer him a new deal.

They could have saved themselves a lot of time and money and brought in any number of top coaches.
No need to leave out the cups he won mate. Other clubs would happily include the cups too. Hell, people are still praising Mourinho for winning a League Cup.

TheLord

It is funny how so many in the Caf are under the delusion that there are many better managers than Pep in world football, and that sacking the manager brings instant reward.