Pep Guardiola's Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Na, of course not. That would be mental.
Alright. Was impressed with his maturity for a 19 year old and with his ability to hold his own against Moutinho. What about Gaudino?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Gaudino is young enough to stay for now and train with the first team. We probably need to find a solution for both in the summer though. By then we should know more about all our injured midfielders.

Blackwidow

Gaudino's biggest problem right now is still his physics. He playes U19 and not with the U23. I guess his trainingsgroup (together with Sinan Kurt and Lucas Scholl) will play U23 and exercise with the professionals next season, too. There is no need to hurry them. Kurt might get more match time already next year as a substitute.

When I look at the 18-year-olds that made headlines last season - where are they this season? Gaudino has it all when it means technics and understanding of the game - but needs to develop his body.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

Interesting stuff from Honigstein on Guardiola. Essentially the 3 year cycle looks to remain intact with a 2016 departure. That leaves another year out to recharge his batteries then a possible move to Utd, City etc on the horizon. Thoughts?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Many insiders believe that LVG would lay the ideal foundations for Guardiola to thrive under. Reference Barca and Bayern already and the philosophy. Pep Guardiola - the book from Guillem Balague - often mentions how he is romanced by the idea of managing Manchester Utd. He knows he would have more control than at Bayern or Barca too.

There's also another sign that Guardiola doesn't like to deal with players he's grown to adore coming to the end of their career or being phased out. Xavi, Puyol etc at Barca, possibility of similar with Robben and Ribery for Bayern.

Trizy

LVG is 63 and sadly won't be around forever and there isn't many available replacements so I'd take a shot at Pep or even Ancelotti. We all know how fast Madrid will turn on him if something goes wrong.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Many insiders believe that LVG would lay the ideal foundations for Guardiola to thrive under. Reference Barca and Bayern already and the philosophy. Pep Guardiola - the book from Guillem Balague - often mentions how he is romanced by the idea of managing Manchester Utd. He knows he would have more control than at Bayern or Barca too.

There's also another sign that Guardiola doesn't like to deal with players he's grown to adore coming to the end of their career or being phased out. Xavi, Puyol etc at Barca, possibility of similar with Robben and Ribery for Bayern.
To be fair, that Balague book is shit and is no way a reference. He of course admires United, but how would he have more control there than at Barcelona or Bayern?

Robben is no where near the end of his career.

Theonas

Scout
To be fair, that Balague book is shit and is no way a reference. He of course admires United, but how would he have more control there than at Barcelona or Bayern?

Because the manager is given more control at United compared to clubs from Spain and Germany? We don't even have a director of football which is almost unheard of for these clubs.

Raul Madrid

At United he would have more control over transfers (unless Woodward deviates massively from what they have being doing under Ferguson) but so far it seems the manager will get the players that he wants and there will be no signings that he does not sanction. At Barcelona it isn't really like that. The president will want to make a big signing(s) to appease fans and get them on board (presidents also make promises of big star signings to win over votes when running for election) as well as the commercial benefits and mainstream attention attracted by such players and while the manager has control over transfers to a certain extent, there are signings that the president and board want and get that the manager has no say and control over at all (that is how it is at most Spanish clubs).

At United there is also less pressure to play a distinctive way. Tata Martino was criticised for his style in games for not dominating possession and having his team play like they did under Guardiola even when they were winning (against Rayo Vallecano for example who managed more possession than Barcelona in that game). At United of course they like their counter-attacking football (or as Gary Neville so eloquently referred to it as "Heavy Metal and Rock and Roll Football" "scrap that tippy tappy crap" which funnily enough is what United are going for now) but at the same time they are open to and willing to adapt to and embrace a different style of play as long as the results are good of course (which has been demonstrated by their support for the manager this year despite there being changes to their play) and even then when the results are not so good, the fans are wiling to show patience and support which is not what would happen at Barcelona or in Spain in general. Overall, it makes it a better environment and provides better conditions (especially for the long term) to work under than what would be provided at Barcelona or in Spain.

Last edited:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Because we do not have a director of football, the manager picks the players he wants and asks Woodward/Gill to go out and buy them, or he can do it himself/together.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
...their support for the manager this year despite there being changes to their play) and even then when the results are not so good, the fans are wiling to show patience and support which is not what would happen at Barcelona or in Spain in general. Overall, it makes it a better environment and provides better conditions (especially for the long term) to work under than what would be provided at Barcelona or in Spain...
What can we say Raul, we have (some of) the best fans in the world ;) :p

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
At United he would have more control over transfers (unless Woodward deviates massively from what they have being doing under Ferguson) but so far it seems the manager will get the players that he wants and there will be no signings that he does not sanction. At Barcelona it isn't really like that. The president will want to make a big signing(s) to appease fans and get them on board (presidents also make promises of big star signings to win over votes when running for election) as well as the commercial benefits and mainstream attention attracted by such players and while the manager has control over transfers to a certain extent, there are signings that the president and board want and get that the manager has no say and control over at all (that is how it is at most Spanish clubs).

At United there is also less pressure to play a distinctive way. Tata Martino was criticised for his style in games for not dominating possession and having his team play like they did under Guardiola even when they were winning (against Rayo Vallecano for example who managed more possession than Barcelona in that game). At United of course they like their counter-attacking football (or as Gary Neville so eloquently referred to it as "Heavy Metal and Rock and Roll Football" "scrap that tippy tappy crap" which funnily enough is what United are going for now) but at the same time they are open to and willing to adapt to and embrace a different style of play as long as the results are good of course (which has been demonstrated by their support for the manager this year despite there being changes to their play) and even then when the results are not so good, the fans are wiling to show patience and support which is not what would happen at Barcelona or in Spain in general. Overall, it makes it a better environment and provides better conditions (especially for the long term) to work under than what would be provided at Barcelona or in Spain.
He's got all that at Bayern as well though. Sammer has his back and respects it when Guardiola puts in a veto. We won't force a big name down his throat if he doesn't want him in the team. They might disagree in a few small details, like loan deals for youth players, but I don't think that's a big deal. Certainly not as big as Honigstein made it out to be in the article someone posted above. Alaba back in 2010 wanted to go on a loan as well, because he wanted regular playing time. Van Gaal wanted to keep him, not for instant success like Honigstein believes with Hojbjerg, but because he was convinced that training under him is better for the development of the player than playing for a lesser manager somewhere else. I'd say that's the most likely situation right now again.

I'm also pretty sure that Guardiola enjoys working with Sammer. He's got someone next to him who fully understands what he's doing, appreciates the style of play and doesn't force marketing signings down his throat or tells him that star players have to start. Someone who understands how brilliant Guardiola's work is and how intense he works on the smallest details. For all the talk about how easy it is to take over a treble winning side, I'm not sure the Glacers and Woodward would show as much patience and understanding with a successor coming in, changing the style of play so much and taking so many risks. While the expectations at Bayern certainly are very high at the moment, Sammer, Rummenigge and Hoeneß know and understand how difficult it is to win the competition and talk about our chances in the CL in a very sensible way. There's a lot of mutual respect between these former players and I doubt it's a bad environment to work in in any way.

I think the quote on the previous page describes the reasoning behind a possible departure in 2016 a lot better than what Honigstein came up with:

Pep is a visionary looking for perfect football. If he gets close enough and doesn't believe he can take another step, he'll walk away on his terms. He's a lot more like Michels, Sacchi, Cruyff than someone like Ferguson. He's not a manager who wants to oversee a whole club like Mourinho, he's not interested in controling the organisation. He wants to coach perfect football, work with the players on the pitch and turn the game into art. It's why I believe that he won't work as a coach for too long, it's simply too exhausting to see the game without any pragmatism. Maybe he takes on a 3rd club somewhere or the nationalteam for another 3 or 4 years, but then I'll expect him to quit and do something else, just like Cruyff and Sacchi did.

Blackwidow

Bayern just confirmed:

- contract extension with Höjbjerg until 2018. Loan to Augsburg till end of the season.
- Agreement with Inter Milan about Shaqiri transfer. He will go medical tomorrow and then sign.
- Kilian Müller-Wohlfahrt (son - 34) will be at Säbener Straße for every training session and travel to Katar with the team (was a problem until now)

anchan1989

Did we already have this quote of Pep?

When Schweinsteiger starts looking at Guardiola without passion, I will start a "Welcome Pep to Old Trafford" thread.
Good then that we have to bring fresh players in anyway.:p;)Ribery and Robben, Schweinsteiger and Lahm arent 25 anymore.
Dont get the whole "he is leaving 2016 stories". He has everything at Bayern. Even world champions now. He was sooo long at Barca as a player and coach.
Have to disagree with the great Honigstein there(ESPN article about Pep time running out in 2016). He will stay till 2018. Im sure.

And to Balus point; Sammer is the key here. Read the book about Peps first year with us. He loves Sammer. As great a player as he was(european player of 96) and a great football mind(youngest coach who won the BL I believe).
Sammer trusts Pep and the other way around. Kalle knows how to handle Pep. And we have Uli.
Pep adores him. They talked(and will talk again now that Uli is back at Bayern) many times after games alone. About the game, the players etc.
I think that Pep didnt imagened that a top club could be that friendly inside. Without 1 or more guys who are against him. That will be a big plus on our side.
Back to that Barca mess? Doesnt sound that great.

You can argue how much LvG game plan is truly Peps idea of football. And many top teams play a dominant, ball holding game these days.
Pep is a football romantic. Yes. But there are other clubs besides and above United in this catogery. Bayern is only behind Mailand and Real in terms of history and so on.
And all that United stuff comes from a visit in 2011 when he, the football lover, got a bit excited about a top club. "I can imagine working here some day"; something like that.
He will have said similar at Milan etc.
And Ribery and Robben are still going strong. Beside that such club legends left the club most of the times in good terms(Kahn for example).
And he has all the power he wants here. Remember; he had to do too much in Barca and that burnt him out.

Last edited:

Raul Madrid

He's got all that at Bayern as well though. Sammer has his back and respects it when Guardiola puts in a veto. We won't force a big name down his throat if he doesn't want him in the team. They might disagree in a few small details, like loan deals for youth players, but I don't think that's a big deal. Certainly not as big as Honigstein made it out to be in the article someone posted above. Alaba back in 2010 wanted to go on a loan as well, because he wanted regular playing time. Van Gaal wanted to keep him, not for instant success like Honigstein believes with Hojbjerg, but because he was convinced that training under him is better for the development of the player than playing for a lesser manager somewhere else. I'd say that's the most likely situation right now again.

I'm also pretty sure that Guardiola enjoys working with Sammer. He's got someone next to him who fully understands what he's doing, appreciates the style of play and doesn't force marketing signings down his throat or tells him that star players have to start. Someone who understands how brilliant Guardiola's work is and how intense he works on the smallest details. For all the talk about how easy it is to take over a treble winning side, I'm not sure the Glacers and Woodward would show as much patience and understanding with a successor coming in, changing the style of play so much and taking so many risks. While the expectations at Bayern certainly are very high at the moment, Sammer, Rummenigge and Hoeneß know and understand how difficult it is to win the competition and talk about our chances in the CL in a very sensible way. There's a lot of mutual respect between these former players and I doubt it's a bad environment to work in in any way.

I think the quote on the previous page describes the reasoning behind a possible departure in 2016 a lot better than what Honigstein came up with:

Pep is a visionary looking for perfect football. If he gets close enough and doesn't believe he can take another step, he'll walk away on his terms. He's a lot more like Michels, Sacchi, Cruyff than someone like Ferguson. He's not a manager who wants to oversee a whole club like Mourinho, he's not interested in controling the organisation. He wants to coach perfect football, work with the players on the pitch and turn the game into art. It's why I believe that he won't work as a coach for too long, it's simply too exhausting to see the game without any pragmatism. Maybe he takes on a 3rd club somewhere or the nationalteam for another 3 or 4 years, but then I'll expect him to quit and do something else, just like Cruyff and Sacchi did.
I was just referring to Barcelona and La Liga in general in my post. I would say that over the last few years that Bayern would provide very good working conditions for a manager and certainly better than any Spanish club. Tbf Woodward did keep Moyes till April despite the results being terrible and there being absolutely no signs of progress. The conditions for a manager at United are definitely better than those at Barcelona or at most La Liga clubs.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
going back to a club where you have been before and, even worse, won everything, is going to be awkward for both parties. The club sort of would admit by an act like this that they failed in replacing him adequately and that, in fact, Pep was bigger than Barca (what happened to "more than a club" then?). For Pep, it would only offer him to repeat what he already has done. From what i read about him in "Confidential", he is not that type of guy just now.

anchan1989

Except for competition.
A top 3 league is enough competition. Dortmund will come back. Wolfsburg belongs to a company that makes more profit then the PL makes revenue.
Other great old clubs are there which grow every year. Look; is the Bundesliga perfect? No. But the cup and supercup are exciting competitions also where even Bayern can lose most of the times.
But we have the best infrastructure, a history as good as any league(and Pep loves that) and German football is the story of the last few years.
And even if you take all that out of the equation you still have the fact that he can make Bayern the top club in history behind Real(1 CL win could do that) and really left his mark in a giant club and league.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
going back to a club where you have been before and, even worse, won everything, is going to be awkward for both parties. The club sort of would admit by an act like this that they failed in replacing him adequately and that, in fact, Pep was bigger than Barca (what happened to "more than a club" then?). For Pep, it would only offer him to repeat what he already has done. From what i read about him in "Confidential", he is not that type of guy just now.
It'd be great if he retuned to Barça. If it went tits up, for some his legacy might be tainted a touch. Now he's remembered as a great player, and great coach/manager. Perhaps it'd be nice if it stayed that way.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He didn't, he refused to take a picture with the guy but signed his shirt.

Blackwidow

We cloned Neuer... (does not have his distribution or field player attribute but already showed some Neuer stunts running out)

Status
Not open for further replies.