Pep Guardiola's Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwidow

He looks more like you cloned Pep.
But a very big and bulky version...

He just went far out of the box one or two times. Starke, the other reserve keeper, is more the traditional keeper and even if he seems to be a great addition to the dressing room it always was a totally different style.

Reina seems to adapt pretty good.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Hoping a Bayern fan would corroborate or correct me on this - weren't Bayern taking a more direct approach in the second half of games at the beginning of last season while Pep was preping them for his style of football? I didn't watch many games, may be a three or four, but I vageuly remember them being very boring in the first halves and then turn it on in the second half with Robben and the team going more direct. Is that right or did I make this up?

Wondering if VG can adopt the same strategy with us till the team is full in sync with his "philosophy".

Blackwidow

Hoping a Bayern fan would corroborate or correct me on this - weren't Bayern taking a more direct approach in the second half of games at the beginning of last season while Pep was preping them for his style of football? I didn't watch many games, may be a three or four, but I vageuly remember them being very boring in the first halves and then turn it on in the second half with Robben and the team going more direct. Is that right or did I make this up?

Wondering if VG can adopt the same strategy with us till the team is full in sync with his "philosophy".
I do not think that was on purpose. The first gameplan just often did not function. Pep often changed the system with substitutions. Now they often adapt on the field and e.g. formation changes function fluidly. But we have the players for that.

This year with Xabi we play a lot more vertical from the start. Like Martinez who seemed to be the missing piece with Heynckes Alonso seems to be that now.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't agree with Blackwidow's notion that it happened because a key piece was missing in the squad, but it's definitely true that it wasn't on purpose. We played some lovely football from the start in the first half of last season, but we simply looked a step below in the 2nd half of last season in general. The team didn't play with the same determination, key players went missing, either through injuries or through a significant drop of form. The team always needed a kick in the ass at half time to get going. Add to it that Pep experimented too much with formations and tactics after the winter break and confused the team more than it helped and it all went wrong, especially after the league title was secured so early and we clearly lacked the determination we showed in the previous 18 months all of a sudden.

I wouldn't read too much into our problems in comparison to van Gaal, who often stated in the past, that he wants to tire opponents and beat them with patience towards the end of games if necessary. So you could be right, that it is part of van Gaal's strategy until the team is playing in full sync. What was a problem for us, could be a temporary solution for you.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If this interview in L'Equipe is to be believed (which I read in english, so it's probably been translated from german to french to english... who knows what happened to it during that process), Lahm all but confirmed that he wants to end his carreer in 2018 when his current contract expires. He'll be 34 by that point.
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news...-end-career-bayern-munich-160848486--sow.html

I could see him be a great player past that point, but I guess it's always a good and admirable decision to be done with it when you're still on top of your game.

Blackwidow

If this interview in L'Equipe is to be believed (which I read in english, so it's probably been translated from german to french to english... who knows what happened to it during that process), Lahm all but confirmed that he wants to end his carreer in 2018 when his current contract expires. He'll be 34 by that point.
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news...-end-career-bayern-munich-160848486--sow.html

I could see him be a great player past that point, but I guess it's always a good and admirable decision to be done with it when you're still on top of your game.
Actually - if Lahm tells so it will be like this. When he extended his contract in May he already told that this will be his last contract. He might do a year off football then but I guess we will see him again in a function for the club afterwards.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Actually - if Lahm tells so it will be like this. When he extended his contract in May he already told that this will be his last contract. He might do a year off football then but I guess we will see him again in a function for the club afterwards.
I wasn't really doubting it to be true, it might just have been worded in a way that doesn't do it justice (e.g. "Ich kann mir schon gut vorstellen, meine Karriere zu beenden, wenn (...)" instead of "Ich WERDE meine Karriere dann und dann beenden."). The media is taking interviews out of context too often, but it should be true here anyway.

It'll be really weird to not see Lahm on the teamsheet, I can imagine it already.

Kant-ona

I totally agree and I really think that Lahm could continue the Bavarian tradition (Uli Hoeness, Franz Beckenbauer, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge) of ex-players who will do a hell of a job in a responsible role at Bayern. In other words: Lahm is smart. He has ambition. He knows exactly what he wants to do. No good news for the other clubs in the Bundesliga. ;)

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I totally agree and I really think that Lahm could continue the Bavarian tradition (Uli Hoeness, Franz Beckenbauer, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge) of ex-players who will do a hell of a job in a responsible role at Bayern. In other words: Lahm is smart. He has ambition. He knows exactly what he wants to do. No good news for the other clubs in the Bundesliga. ;)

Lahm will be a Sky/Ard/Zdf (most likely Sky)-Expert. 100%.

Same for Schweinsteiger and probably Müller.

Blackwidow

Pundit... I do not know... Lately it looks like that would not really improve your possibilities for good jobs at Bayern...

Blodssvik

Probably as much as United got last year... or was it in 2013.
There were reports of scrapped plans to go there this winter as well. I personally think it brings shame onto clubs going there to be treated like royalty and be bribed to return and act like no human rights issues exist there and praising their plans for the world cup. Was it not Rummenigge who said there were just rumours made up by people who have never been to Qatar?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think it was Beckenbauer, but it doesn't really matter who it was. All the European top clubs are guilty of taking money without looking at the problems in the countries from where it comes. It sucks, I hate it, but sadly that's how it is.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Lahm will be a Sky/Ard/Zdf (most likely Sky)-Expert. 100%.

Same for Schweinsteiger and probably Müller.
I read Pep Confidential and he says that Lahm and Schweinsteiger are two of the players that love discussing tactics. Maybe a coaching job in the future?

Blackwidow

I read Pep Confidential and he says that Lahm and Schweinsteiger are two of the players that love discussing tactics. Maybe a coaching job in the future?
I do not see Lahm there. Coaching means to live a vagabund life.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If Pep could never ever play Schweinsteiger and Alonso together again, I would be so happy....

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
So Alonso hasn't done well lately?

I was surprised to hear he had started well at Bayern. Not sure exactly what the problem has been recently but at Real Madrid he looked pretty washed up towards the end. Couldn't really get involved over 90 minutes on the ball and he couldn't deal with people running at him the way he used to. He was getting more and more reckless...

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Thiw probably just sets up a 7-0 win for Bayern in the second leg.
If by "this" you mean Alonso's red card: I hope so. I might sound like a broken record, but anybody who thinks this midfield setup is a good idea has surely lost his mind after the "performances" we've witnessed in the last 4 games.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If by "this" you mean Alonso's red card: I hope so. I might sound like a broken record, but anybody who thinks this midfield setup is a good idea has surely lost his mind after the "performances" we've witnessed in the last 4 games.
Gives me a small portion of comfort knowing that even Guardiola can be ardent in his team choices at times. Seen it too much this season for us.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
So silly to change the line-up so much after the brilliant game on Saturday.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It does feel like Pep likes to change things just for the sake of changing to prove how incredibly superior he is... the result is a really dangerous 0:0. At least his hand is forced in the return leg when it comes to Schweinsteiger and Alonso, much like it was against Hamburg.

PvsNP

I don't get why he insists on pairing Schweini with Alonso. He makes the most baffling decisions at times.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Schweinsteiger seems to have the right sort of mix for management: an all-round, hard-working midfielder who excels, understands and can analyse the game at the top level.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Imagine a world where your Alonso/Schweinsteiger midfield is your team's biggest problem... :(

Zen

Was Bayerns formation like interchangeable or something....some saying 3331, some 334, some 433, some 442(diamond somehow).

bonkers. not even mad genius bonkers. just making it hard work for very little reason. where Lahm? are he and Alaba not fullbacks any more?

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Was Bayerns formation like interchangeable or something....some saying 3331, some 334, some 433, some 442(diamond somehow).

bonkers. not even mad genius bonkers. just making it hard work for very little reason. where Lahm? are he and Alaba not fullbacks any more?
Just gets bored of regular lineups, it seems.

ctp

It was a pretty standard 4-1-4-1 for the most part, nothing revolutionary. The silly thing was leaving out Lewandowski and playing Alonso and Schweinsteiger together.

Blackwidow

It was a pretty standard 4-1-4-1 for the most part, nothing revolutionary. The silly thing was leaving out Lewandowski and playing Alonso and Schweinsteiger together.
What would the Lewandowsky of the last weeks have changed in that match? The thing is that somebody can look great in a counter attack system but less in a ball possession system...

The problem was more that they were very cautious (something we have not been in knock-out away matches with Heynckes but now with Guardiola) and scared to run into counters. And the refereeing was not so great - even if Alonso's yellow-red was well earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.