Pep Guardiola's Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Despite all the drama surrounding the Thiago transfer, what are the odds that Pep's Bayern may not be able to replicate the lofty heights of his predecessor - and given Bayern's tendency to frequently switch managers, how much time do you think Pep will be given to win the CL ? Given that he's inheriting one of the strongest Bayern sides ever, what are the chance that Pep's Bayern will not replicate last year's success ? After all - there's only one way to go from the top.

Traub

There's usually luck involved in winning the champions league (and that includes injuries) so I think he'll be given a good few seasons. They'll be right up there for a while though and reaching the semis of the champions league next season will probably be seen as adequate.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There's usually luck involved in winning the champions league (and that includes injuries) so I think he'll be given a good few seasons. They'll be right up there for a while though and reaching the semis of the champions league next season will probably be seen as adequate.

I'm actually not convinced Bayern will win the league next year.

Swaters16

They simply can't be as good as last season. That's a fact really. They one a treble, destroyed Barca and broke every record there was in the league. All we know for sure is that next season won't be as brilliant. Unlikely to be as successful either.

Traub

I'm actually not convinced Bayern will win the league next year.
I think they will. Dortmund lost their best player and Bayern have improved their squad. It will probably be much closer than last season, but I think the leagues in the bag.

Castia

It's going to be hard to get the treble again but if anybody was going to retain the Champions League trophy I wouldn't put it past Bayern next season. They have a great squad that's been added to with 2 of the best young players in world football, they also have a new manager in Pep who I believe is probably the best manager in world football.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He has a 3-year contract and that's how long he'll be there.

Castia

Yep that wouldn't surprise me, he will give everything he has in that time though. Apparently he's a genuine workaholic who is never away from the training ground, I wouldn't be surprised for him to ever take a job beyond 2-3 seasons before taking a break.

psychdelicblues

They simply can't be as good as last season. That's a fact really. They one a treble, destroyed Barca and broke every record there was in the league. All we know for sure is that next season won't be as brilliant. Unlikely to be as successful either.
No it isn't, it's just your opinion. Success will be retaining both the CL and Bundesliga title. I cannot see Dortmund closing the 20 odd points gap in the league now that Bayern have added to what was already a great squad. Unlike at Barcelona where Pep tended not to rotate, he has deep pool of talented am/m at Bayern(assuming they get Thiago). It will interesting how he approach's this issue to keep everyone happy, with Bayern able to rotate the front 6 positions with no significant loss of quality. The CL can be a lottery, and Bayern with maybe with an even better team next season ,may still not retain the CL, similar to Ajax 95,96, Barcalona,09,10,but they are in a good position to retain it simply because of the depth of quality in the squad. The German based players have also had a good summers rest as well. How Pep drastically alters a already winning formula tactically, or how he manages the squad, maybe a key to whether Bayern can retain the CL.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think Bayern are by any stretch a lock to win the CL. All the usual suspects will be in the mix and luck will play a part in who advances. What I find interesting about Bayern is that despite everyone thinking they have improved through Pep, Goetze, and possibly Thiago; Pep's methodologies by attempting to make Bayern his and getting them to play more of a Barca style Tiki Taki may completely backfire if he doesn't have the right players to do it, which may result in Dortmund reclaiming the title. Its easy to think Bayern will keep it, but its by no means a certainty.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think they will. Dortmund lost their best player and Bayern have improved their squad. It will probably be much closer than last season, but I think the leagues in the bag.
They didn't to be fair. Unless Lewandowski doesn't play good, they haven't lost their best players. From what I have seen last season of BVB, Lewa and Reus have been better than Gotze, while possibly even Gundogan has been better. Anyway, I don't think that BVB will be weaker than last season, especially if they make another one or two signings. Surely the league will be much closer, but still I think that Bayern will win the league. Their quality is simply ridiculous and the only possible way for this to not happen is if Pep big changes go wrong, which is a big if.

Swaters16

No it isn't, it's just your opinion. Success will be retaining both the CL and Bundesliga title. I cannot see Dortmund closing the 20 odd points gap in the league now that Bayern have added to what was already a great squad. Unlike at Barcelona where Pep tended not to rotate, he has deep pool of talented am/m at Bayern(assuming they get Thiago). It will interesting how he approach's this issue to keep everyone happy, with Bayern able to rotate the front 6 positions with no significant loss of quality. The CL can be a lottery, and Bayern with maybe with an even better team next season ,may still not retain the CL, similar to Ajax 95,96, Barcalona,09,10,but they are in a good position to retain it simply because of the depth of quality in the squad. The German based players have also had a good summers rest as well. How Pep drastically alters a already winning formula tactically, or how he manages the squad, maybe a key to whether Bayern can retain the CL.

So you've singled out part of my post to disagree with me and then agreed with me? Alright then.
Bayern simply cannot be better this season. They'd literally have to win every match by 3 to be better. They were unbelievably dominant last season. If they don't win the league by 20+ points and they don't win the treble they won't be as good and they certainly won't be better. FACT. That's not an opinion. Bayern are at the top now and can only go down or sideways. There is almost no room for improvement. But of course both you and I have already acknowledged that.

Vasey20|13

So you've singled out part of my post to disagree with me and then agreed with me? Alright then.
Bayern simply cannot be better this season. They'd literally have to win every match by 3 to be better. They were unbelievably dominant last season. If they don't win the league by 20+ points and they don't win the treble they won't be as good and they certainly won't be better. FACT. That's not an opinion. Bayern are at the top now and can only go down or sideways. There is almost no room for improvement. But of course both you and I have already acknowledged that.
I agree with you. Taking your original statement quite literally, they would have to win the treble again for the season to be as successful. Very unlikely.

psychdelicblues

You can keep asserting it's a fact till the cows come home, it does not make it so. If Bayern win the treble next season it will be a better season, because they have retained all their titles.....in my opinion. By what margins they retain it, is irrelevant,...in my opinion. If they win just the CL and the Bundesliga, I'd argue that in retaining both titles with a new coach, then that Bayern will have had just as much as a successful season then the previous season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You can keep asserting it's a fact till the cows come home, it does not make it so. If Bayern win the treble next season it will be a better season, because they have retained all their titles.....in my opinion. By what margins they retain it, is irrelevant,...in my opinion. If they win just the CL and the Bundesliga, I'd argue that in retaining both titles with a new coach, then that Bayern will have had just as much as a successful season then the previous season.

As you say, its your opinion. Most may simply consider another treble as equal - not greater - than the previous one. In that sense, there is no way they can match last year's dominance in terms of how they won the league and defeating one of the greatest sides of all time 7-0 on aggregate. Although its technically possible, its just not going to happen.

psychdelicblues

As you say, its your opinion. Most may simply consider another treble as equal - not greater - than the previous one. In that sense, there is no way they can match last year's dominance in terms of how they won the league and defeating one of the greatest sides of all time 7-0 on aggregate. Although its technically possible, its just not going to happen.
It depends what importance you place in how dominant in winning the titles in the first place, and then actually retaining the titles which confirms your dominance.

Revan

Assumptionman
They won't defeat Barca 7-0 again, but if they win the treble again, IMO it is a better season than last. No team has ever won back to back UCL, let alone back to back treble. If they do that, they'll write another page of history.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't think Bayern are by any stretch a lock to win the CL. All the usual suspects will be in the mix and luck will play a part in who advances. What I find interesting about Bayern is that despite everyone thinking they have improved through Pep, Goetze, and possibly Thiago; Pep's methodologies by attempting to make Bayern his and getting them to play more of a Barca style Tiki Taki may completely backfire if he doesn't have the right players to do it, which may result in Dortmund reclaiming the title. Its easy to think Bayern will keep it, but its by no means a certainty.
The team won't be improved even though individually the squad might be better. Last season was easily best of all time stuff, never to be repeated again and I doubt anyone at the club expects a treble again. Hoeness, Sammer and Rummenigge aren't idiots, they have played football themselves and know how much luck is involved in the game, especially in the CL. I doubt anyone thought Heynckes could repeat it, if he stayed another season. I agree that it looks like Pep might change too much and it might backfire, but so far the players look excited about his ideas and downplay the changes, we have to wait if it's really Barca 2.0 or a great mix between Bayern 12/13 and Barca 1.0. Van Gaal already teached a lot of the necessary basics for Guardiola's work in his two years at the club, that should help a lot, imo.

The goal for the season is probably something like 80-85 points in the league, CL quarter finals and winning the cup. If Dortmund wins the league with more than 85 points (let's not forget, before last season the point record was set by Dortmund with 81 in 11/12), fair enough, not much you can do about it. If we draw a tough opponent in the CL quarter finals and go out despite playing great, fair enough, happens. I doubt Pep will get into trouble, if these things happen. You can play a brilliant season and loose out on titles, especially if you have arguably the second best team in europe in the league and I expect Dortmund to be even stronger next season. Götze wasn't as influential as Lewandowski and Gündogan last season, Kagawa and Hummels the season before or Sahin in 10/11 (even though he's a special, special talent) and it looks like they made some truely amazing signings.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He'll probably make them play that boring tiki taka shit where they hog the ball for 90% of the game without doing anything. They'll still win stuff, but I'm hoping they won't as I want Dortmund to win stuff instead.

Varun

Staff
He'll probably make them play that boring tiki taka shit where they hog the ball for 90% of the game without doing anything. They'll still win stuff, but I'm hoping they won't as I want Dortmund to win stuff instead.
I dont think he will. Sure he'l make changes but he's already stated that its the manager that needs to adapt to the team and not vice versa and he isnt looking to impose his style on the players.

I rate him as a manager, it'd be shocking if he decides to simply make this team of players the way barca do. Doesnt make sense.

Traub

They didn't to be fair. Unless Lewandowski doesn't play good, they haven't lost their best players. From what I have seen last season of BVB, Lewa and Reus have been better than Gotze, while possibly even Gundogan has been better. Anyway, I don't think that BVB will be weaker than last season, especially if they make another one or two signings. Surely the league will be much closer, but still I think that Bayern will win the league. Their quality is simply ridiculous and the only possible way for this to not happen is if Pep big changes go wrong, which is a big if.
Possibly, but as you say they are so far ahead it's ridiculous.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I dont think he will. Sure he'l make changes but he's already stated that its the manager that needs to adapt to the team and not vice versa and he isnt looking to impose his style on the players.

I rate him as a manager, it'd be shocking if he decides to simply make this team of players the way barca do. Doesnt make sense.
I know. I'm just abit bitter about his pursuit of Thiago.

psychdelicblues

Pep Guardiola's golden image already tarnished at Bayern Munich

Accusations about the deal for Thiago Alcântara have triggered scepticism over Bayern Munich's new manager Pep Guardiola

Bayern Munich's new coach has had his motives criticised and motives questioned before a ball has been kicked in anger. Photograph: Tobias Hase/Dpa/Corbis
Bayern Munich have hardly played a game that did not end with some suit thrusting a trophy into their hands underneath a ticker-tape shower in recent months. On Thursday night, last season's European champions, German league and cup winners were at it again, horsing around in front of an advertising board, the Audi Cup in hand.
The 2-1 win over Manchester City at the Allianz Arena bestowed another, altogether tinier treble of three friendly titles on the team and their new manager, Pep Guardiola, but the 42-year-old was on the defensive in the subsequent TV interview with the local broadcaster. Are you – despite the team's problems – optimistic for the new season, asked the reporter. "Of course, the manager has to be optimistic," Guardiola said, smiling in the kind of grey checked shirt that's ubiquitous in Brooklyn hipster dives, much less so on Bundesliga coaching benches.
Soon after, the interview was cut short. Guardiola was speaking well in German and cutting a very genial figure, but he was not nearly saying enough. His totally nuance-free sentences were too crude, maybe willfully so, to provide any meaningful insight into his thoughts about tactics and personnel.
Five weeks into his new job in Bavaria, the public perception of him has shifted. The early fawning of club officials, players and the media over the Bundesliga's most high-profile recruit has noticeably given way to more scepticism. The opening salvo in this backlash was fired in a strong-worded op-ed piece by the broadsheet Süddeutsche Zeitung that criticised the "shameless financial sleaze" of Guardiola's €21m (£18.2m)signing of the Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcântara – the 22-year-old is represented by the manager's brother, Pere – and his "public account settling" with his former club over the alleged breakdown in his relationship with Tito Vilanova: "It doesn't fit the image of the noble sideline gentleman that many sports media are enthusiastically painting."
More importantly, Guardiola's obsessive attention to detail in training – "I've never had a manager who changed so many things," said striker Claudio Pizarro, 34 – and experimental lineups that have verged on the capricious, with right-back Philipp Lahm being drafted into central midfield and target man Mario Mandzukic toiling fruitlessly on either wing, have only succeeded in upsetting the ultra-smooth running of last year's win machine. "Pep Guardiola turns the most successful team in the history of Bayern Munich on its head," read a dispatch by Der Spiegel from the Bayern training camp in Italy. "The club's bosses are impressed by his enthusiasm – but also worried whether everything will turn out all right."
In some quarters, the tactical alterations under the new regime have been overstated, to be sure. All the indications are that Guardiola will stick with Bayern's basic post-2009 blueprint of a possession-based, attacking side with two attacking full-backs, a three-man central midfield, two wingers and one – or no – central forwards. But even relatively subtle tweaks, such as his preference for one holding midfielder instead of two and his toying with the strikerless formation that worked so devastatingly well for his Barça can have wide-reaching consequences in a squad as finely tuned as Bayern's.
The former Reds coach Ottmar Hitzfeld once said that Bayern were "a sensitive construct, like a Ferrari motor – every small thing has to be correct". And he wasn't only referring to on-the-pitch matters. At Bayern, a club where disgruntled players can always find a sympathetic journalist's microphone to voice their grievances, maintaining a psychological equilibrium is probably even more important than striking the right balance between attack and defence.

Last season, Guardiola's predecessor, Jupp Heynckes, had mastered the art of keeping everyone in line. But the 68-year-old's case was greatly helped by the team's utter devotion and focus on improving on the three painful runners-up places in 2011-12. As treble winners, the patience of those left behind for Pep could now be wearing thin more quickly, especially in light of the arrival of two more big names in Mario Götze, bought for €37m from Borussia Dortmund, and Thiago, who is in danger of being seen as the teacher's pet.
Signing Spain's Under-21 captain has put immediate pressure on the established midfield duo of Bastian Schweinsteiger and Javier Martínez. The latter will have to get used to life as a centre-back, while the former, a key figure and fans' favourite, has featured intermittently in the starting lineups. The 29-year-old has only just returned to fitness after an ankle injury but Thiago's outings as the sole holding midfielder in many games was seen as ominous for his chances.
"I'm not quite sure [of his plans for me]," admitted Schweinsteiger. The sporting director, Matthias Sammer, was forced to intervene on his behalf. "Anyone who questions Bastian Schweinsteiger is lacking respect," said the 45-year-old. That was ostensibly a comment on media reports that doubted the veracity of his election to Germany's player of the year - it turned out that Kicker magazine had botched the process and that only 92 out of 3,700 possible votes had come in for him as the winner - but could also be read as a warning to Pep.
Mandzukic, the scorer of Bayern's opener in the 2-1 Champions League win over Dortmund at Wembley, has had an even more difficult time. The Croat scored two goals in two games at the Audi Cup but cast angry glances at Guardiola, who had left him out of the starting lineup on both occasions. The chairman of the executive board, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, feels that this kind of reaction is to be expected. "You won't find a Bayern player who's happy to be on the bench," he said. But he, too, knows that Pep could probably do a better job explaining his decisions to his charges.
"The sense of unease is palpable," wrote the local tabloid Abendzeitung. Keeping the dressing-room temperature at agreeable levels will be the new man's most difficult task, but the team have proved remarkably resilient to his constant changes. Twelve out of 13 friendlies were comfortably won.
The one exception has somewhat blighted the whole pre-season, however. A 4-2 defeat by Dortmund in the hotly contested German Supercup brought fears that Guardiola's fervour for free-flowing football will come at the cost of defensive stability – and with it, unwanted comparisons with the former Bayern coach Louis van Gaal. The Dutchman, Guardiola's mentor at Barça, reigned for one-and-a half seasons that were marked by an unsustainable cavalier approach. The second half against Dortmund echoed those dark days, as Bayern lost their shape completely in midfield. "I noticed that everyone seemed to be occupying a different position," said Thomas Müller, wryly.
A much more composed performance against City – and Guardiola choosing a comparatively orthodox team that looked suspiciously like his best XI, with Schweinsteiger back installed in his favourite role ahead of the back-four – went some way to allaying the worst doubts before the season's first competitive games, on Monday, away to fourth-tier BSV Rehden in the DFB Cup, and on Friday at home to Borussia Mönchengladbach in the Bundesliga opener.
"We know it'll take time," said the captain, Lahm, Guardiola's staunchest ally over the past few weeks. But Arjen Robben hinted that some players are yet to be convinced that the changes will improve a team that has just had an unimprovable season. "You don't have to make football more complicated than it really is," said the Dutchman, quite suggestively.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/03/bayern-munich-pep-guardiola

Brightonian

That article sounds like a lot of jumping on the bandwagon over-the-top warmongering (and this is from a committed Guardiola-at-Bayern sceptic). That said, if Schweinsteiger ever gets unhappy at Bayern... :drool:

Amongst all the people I thought might suffer from Thiago's arrival, he seemed the least likely candidate. Best midfielder in the world last season.

Also, amongst players Robben remains the king of the barbed throwaway line.

Jaap

Dortmund lost their best player and Bayern have improved their squad. It will probably be much closer than last season, but I think the leagues in the bag.
No, I saw Lewandowski in a yellow-black kit today.

Dortmund have bought well. I expect them to challenge Bayern this season, IF - and that's a big factor - they have no major injuries this season.

It all depends on how quickly Bayern('s players) adapt to Guardiola and his system. I think moving Javi Martínez to CB will be a mistake, IMO.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I have always said that Pep is far from a sure fire success at Bayern. His methods and way of playing are very contrary to what has made them successful.

Pep is also somewhat of an ideologue in that he sees only one "right" way of playing so I doubt he'd change his ideas too much.

NoLogo

I think so too. Martinez is a ball-winning midfielder, which doesn't fit in what Guardiola wants. Players in the middle who can control the tempo.

The problem for Guardiola with Martinez is that he is too limited from a footballing standpoint to play that lone holding midfielder role in Guardiolas system. As a partner for Schweinsteiger in their 4-2-3-1 last season he was perfect but Guardiola prefers his trio in the middle to be all great passers and able to give the game direction and I just can't see Martinez doing it.

But let's see how it all pens out for them, it would definitely be interesting to see if Guardiola survives a season without a title at Bayern. Sammer said that they would give Guardiola the needed time but than again Guardiola also said he would only change little things and we all know things can change quickly if a manager loses the dressing room.

I think if there is one thing that can pose a real problem for Guardiola than it's that he is a damn stubborn guy and while he will listen to Sammer's, Rummenige's and Hoeneß's suggestions he won't pay them much attention if it's detrimental to his own ideas and the last time Bayern had such a manager it didn't end too well, despite a few trophies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would have been great if he was able to embrace the style of football bayern played last season. It was a very interesting combination of pace, physicality and skill.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
The problem for Guardiola with Martinez is that he is too limited from a footballing standpoint to play that lone holding midfielder role in Guardiolas system. As a partner for Schweinsteiger in their 4-2-3-1 last season he was perfect but Guardiola prefers his trio in the middle to be all great passers and able to give the game direction and I just can't see Martinez doing it.

But let's see how it all pens out for them, it would definitely be interesting to see if Guardiola survives a season without a title at Bayern. Sammer said that they would give Guardiola the needed time but than again Guardiola also said he would only change little things and we all know things can change quickly if a manager loses the dressing room.

I think if there is one thing that can pose a real problem for Guardiola than it's that he is a damn stubborn guy and while he will listen to Sammer's, Rummenige's and Hoeneß's suggestions he won't pay them much attention if it's detrimental to his own ideas and the last time Bayern had such a manager it didn't end too well, despite a few trophies.

Surely he'd be ideal for the Busquets defensive anchor/transitional third centre back role?

NoLogo

Surely he'd be ideal for the Busquets defensive anchor/transitional third centre back role?

Not in Guardiolas eyes because he is a totally different player type than Busquets. Martinez is a mop up machine, a workhorse, a midfield destroyer while Busquets is basically a more defensive version of Xavi.

Where Martinez mainly profits from his physicality Busquets mainly profits from his footballing intelligence in terms of defensive and offensive work.

If there is anyone in the Barca team I would compare him to it's probably Puyol and don't get me wrong I think Puyol was/is actually one of Barcas most important players.

Brightonian

Not in Guardiolas eyes because he is a totally different player type than Busquets. Martinez is a mop up machine, a workhorse, a midfield destroyer while Busquets is basically a more defensive version of Xavi.

Where Martinez mainly profits from his physicality Busquets mainly profits from his footballing intelligence in terms of defensive and offensive work.

If there is anyone in the Barca team I would compare him to it's probably Puyol and don't get me wrong I think Puyol was/is actually one of Barcas most important players.
You're underrating his ability with the ball if you think he's Puyol. However I agree he's not really Busquets - he's closer to being Pique.

NoLogo

You're underrating his ability with the ball if you think he's Puyol. However I agree he's not really Busquets - he's closer to being Pique.

Actually I think you are underestimating Puyol. You don't remain a important fixture in a team like Barcelona's if you aren't at least good with the ball on your feet, even as a defender.

Oh and don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Martinez is a big oaf who only has his physical prowess going for him but that's also not how I see Puyol.

But I think they are both very similar from the their attitude, aggressive, always giving 100% but also smart players who while not having their technical ability as their most stand out attributes still have a good all round game.

Swaters16

Actually I think you are underestimating Puyol. You don't remain a important fixture in a team like Barcelona's if you aren't at least good with the ball on your feet, even as a defender.

Oh and don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Martinez is a big oaf who only has his physical prowess going for him but that's also not how I see Puyol.

But I think they are both very similar from the their attitude, aggressive, always giving 100% but also smart players who while not having their technical ability as their most stand out attributes still have a good all round game.
I agree with your general point I just don't know about the Puyol example. But yes, Pep clearly sees Javi as more of a centre back because he's big and strong and commanding as well as technical rather than solely focused on technique/passing/etc

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Martinez looked awkward at centre-back against City, particularly in the second half. His positioning was very suspect and Negredo's movement caused him all sorts of problems. That chance Nasri spurned also exposed Martinez's frailties in the position.

I can't see him being an outstanding success there and Guardiola is taking a huge risk disbanding the Martinez-Schweinsteger midfield axis.

Shark

@NotShark
Martinez looked awkward at centre-back against City, particularly in the second half. His positioning was very suspect and Negredo's movement caused him all sorts of problems. That chance Nasri spurned also exposed Martinez's frailties in the position.

I can't see him being an outstanding success there and Guardiola is taking a huge risk disbanding the Martinez-Schweinsteger midfield axis.

It's only pre-season. I don't think that it'll be a permanent thing, he was probably just experimenting.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Maybe, but everything we've seen thus far suggests Guardiola wants Thiago in that midfield role, which necessitates one of Schweinsteger or Martinez to miss out. The easiest solution (in terms of politics) is to drop Martinez back to centre-back and play Schweinsteger beside Thiago and possibly Kroos.

The signing of Thiago is quite controversial in Bavaria at the moment, and it's bringing unneeded pressure on both Guardiola and Thiago himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.