Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
To be fair to Pep more top clubs need to grow a pair and ban Raiola. The problem will fix itself.
I don't know why they don't do this. Top clubs hold all the cards. I suppose maybe there's a chance some outsider like the Redbull teams might take advantage but Raiola can't represent every top player in the world can't he?

RedDevilzFox

I don't know why they don't do this. Top clubs hold all the cards. I suppose maybe there's a chance some outsider like the Redbull teams might take advantage but Raiola can't represent every top player in the world can't he?
My guess is the tipping point hasn't occurred yet. No business person would ever advise you to behave the way Raiola does, the idea that he is a "good" agent by being a prick is completely wrong. There are literally only 5-6 clubs that horde most of top players and can afford them. If Real, Barca, Man Utd, Man City and PSG closed the door on him, his gig is over.

Djemba-Djemba

What if he meant Euros?
You're naive if you don't think City are playing with the figures they release.

How much did City say Mangala cost again?
Didn't they try claiming Tevez was £25m when he was actually closer to £50m?

And this was back in 2009 when that kind of money was unbelievable.

Wouldn't shock me if they used dodgy payment schemes to underplay every transfer they make.

Ladron de redcafe

Why would the selling clubs underreport their income from player sales?
They wouldn't, but sometimes the selling club doesn't disclose the transfer fee and doesn't repudiate a published fee. I can only guess that's the argument Bubz was trying to make.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Why would the selling clubs underreport their income from player sales?
Is every penny going to the selling club? Would the selling club be inclined to say what City spent on say, the agent, signing on fee, maybe accomodation or any other potential benefits?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Is every penny going to the selling club? Would the selling club be inclined to say what City spent on say, the agent, signing on fee, maybe accomodation or any other potential benefits?
Of course not. However why would the agent want to publicly announce he's worth less than he actually is?

Besides, the vast majority of funds is going to the selling club, who has no incentive from an FFP perspective to lie about income, or announce to the world it will sell players at a weird discount.

I'm not saying that City aren't dodgy, but this stuff about under the table payments doesn't make sense. It's too simplistic.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Of course not. However why would the agent want to publicly announce he's worth less than he actually is?

Besides, the vast majority of funds is going to the selling club, who has no incentive from an FFP perspective to lie about income, or announce to the world it will sell players at a weird discount.

I'm not saying that City aren't dodgy, but this stuff about under the table payments doesn't make sense. It's too simplistic.
I disagree about it being too simplistic. I think quite the opposite to be honest. There's a reason why Aguero, Kompany, De Bruyne etc never wanted to leave and it isn't because City are winning trophies. We won trophies, players left, Liverpool won trophies, players left, same with Chelsea and Arsenal around the Vieira era (they were on a clear decline though).

Plenty of reasons why an agent might want to hide some of their earnings as well.

Wait, I see what you're saying about it being too simplistic. But I think it's fairly obvious it happens. They're hiding it well which means it isn't as simple as just transferring a couple tens of millions here and there, obviously. But I'm absolutely sure it happens one way.

SER19

You seem wound up and trying really hard to convince me you're anything other than obsessed.
I've never even see you here before, trust me im not trying to convince you of anything. Small bit weirded out that you have such a strong opinion of me but Internet is full of people with strange habits i guess.

I have lots of opinions about football. The ones i have about guardiola, an excellent manager, are formulated by facts and negative ones by his own rampant denial and hypocrisy

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I disagree about it being too simplistic. I think quite the opposite to be honest. There's a reason why Aguero, Kompany, De Bruyne etc never wanted to leave and it isn't because City are winning trophies. We won trophies, players left, Liverpool won trophies, players left, same with Chelsea and Arsenal around the Vieira era (they were on a clear decline though).

Plenty of reasons why an agent might want to hide some of their earnings as well.

Wait, I see what you're saying about it being too simplistic. But I think it's fairly obvious it happens. They're hiding it well which means it isn't as simple as just transferring a couple tens of millions here and there, obviously. But I'm absolutely sure it happens one way.
I believe what he's implying is you can't hide transfer fees on its own as it's mixed with the selling club. If club A sells player for 50m to club B that's the amount exchanged between those clubs. If a player gets a sign on bonus, agents fee, parent fees, clauses in there contract or under the table salary will not get bought into public. From what I read here and online people really believe they can actually hide transfer fees on there own.

Last edited:

SER19

Hes only got 350m on the bench today. Anybody saying he's a chequebook manager is being harsh

Irrational.

He’s employing the exact same player pursuit tactics as he did when he snapped up Thiago for Bayern. He can remain coy all he likes, deny rumours and even let other clubs be linked to Haaland all summer long whilst the muppets wank themselves into a frenzy; but when the time is right and the backhanders have been paid it’ll be “Haaland or no one” before the deal is thrashed out within 24 hours - don’t let yourselves be fooled by Baldiola’s big brained buffoonery.

Ladron de redcafe

I've never even see you here before, trust me im not trying to convince you of anything. Small bit weirded out that you have such a strong opinion of me but Internet is full of people with strange habits i guess.

I have lots of opinions about football. The ones i have about guardiola, an excellent manager, are formulated by facts and negative ones by his own rampant denial and hypocrisy
Sure you are. And calling out weird obsessions doesn't mean one has a strong opinion. The word strong would be apt for the obsession of yours, in question.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Sure you are. And calling out weird obsessions doesn't mean one has a strong opinion. The word strong would be apt for the obsession of yours, in question.
Looks like a strong opinion to me...

"The only thing embarassing is your obsession. I don't think I've ever seen an individual obsessed about another manager that way. We all hated Wenger during the early heated rivalry with Arsenal, but it didn't make us downright delusional and vituperative. Your entire posting history when it comes to Guardiola seems screams unhealthy obsession."

If someone doesn't rate Pep due to the massive amount of spending, maybe just ignore or counter it? "Attack the post not the poster"?

(PS. Don't know why you hated Wenger... just a rival manager to me. One that created some really good teams tbf).

SER19

Like i said they're just my opinions. They don't have to trouble you so much. If its something that's bothered you and you've noticed alot im sure you can't mute me. Its not worth getting so wound up over

Ladron de redcafe

Like i said they're just my opinions. They don't have to trouble you so much. If its something that's bothered you and you've noticed alot im sure you can't mute me. Its not worth getting so wound up over
Google projection. My laughing at an evidently obsessed individual doesn't mean I'm troubled by your opinion. You're free to carry on, and I'm free to carry on laughing at you.

SER19

Google projection. My laughing at an evidently obsessed individual doesn't mean I'm troubled by your opinion. You're free to carry on, and I'm free to carry on laughing at you.
Its getting a little bit sad now. If you want to keep following my posts by all means do. Do you mind not quoting me if thats cool? Small bit weirded out

Ladron de redcafe

Its getting a little bit sad now. If you want to keep following my posts by all means do. Do you mind not quoting me if thats cool? Small bit weirded out
Time for you to Google irony, this time. Stop quoting me if that's the case.

always_hoping

Got there eventually after all that spending and 5 attempts. A first Champions league semi finals since 2016 under Manuel Pellegrini.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They’ll probably go out & sign Grealish, Kane/Haaland at the very least.

SER19

A full decade since a once in a generation team carried him to a CL.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
£400 mill more and I think he has a chance to win the Champions league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pep needs a fortune to spend on CF like he did at CB before we can say he has enough at his disposal to win it.

TheReligion

Abusive
How much more is needed to get a European Cup?

Abu Dhabi must be starting to wonder. They've thrown enough at this project as it is.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
overrated bag who has started to be believe in his own bullshit. Reminds me of LVG more and more. Easy to win the league this season when you should with two ridiculous squads at your disposal.

People taking a shit on united in the united forum fail to remember that we have nearly had the longest season in all of europe and were not far off these cnuts. Doing it with nearly a whole squad less.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
50 million replacement for Zinchenko coming up? Surely the club must back him properly even if they're a bit skint

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
How much more is needed to get a European Cup?

Abu Dhabi must be starting to wonder. They've thrown enough at this project as it is.
There’s plenty more where those money came from. They’ll keep pumping in money for their most fun toy. They’ll prove once and for all that money can indeed buy success. They won’t stop until they are used in dictionaries as evidence.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
50 million replacement for Zinchenko coming up? Surely the club must back him properly even if they're a bit skint
A bit skint? as long as oil exists they can never be skint. At the worst case they can ask their sister club to buy a player and loan him to them. The sister club can then declare bankruptcy and sell their assets to City for 80% off discount.