Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

Womp

idiot
This is the main reason I don't suck Pep off as much as others on here. Superb manager, along with Jose the best in World football, but the fact that he needs very specific conditions to thrive will always be a black mark for me.

He inherited a team with some World class stars in it, then was responsible for buying 4 out of the 6 most expensive defenders of all time.

ti vu

I am not comparing Pep to Newton, before you get me branded as @FCBarca reincarnated. Let's just pretend I never used that analogy, since the point is being lost. As to your questions...

1. He has punched above his weight with his Barcelona, who most consider to be the greatest club side ever. Rijkaard, Enrique, Tata and co, with the same core of players, didn't extract what Guardiola extracted. I'd argue that prior to Laporte's purchase he was punching above his weight with City. Delph was supposed to be targeted by every winger in the league. Stones is shit according to the Caf. De Bruyne moving deep was Guardiola fecking around for the sake of things. And so on.

2. His City side look incredibly young. Sane, Sterling, Jesus, Stones, Zinchenko, B Silva...

3. Because he's a hypocrite. As most managers are.
1. The Rjkaard point is a myth. Rjkaard brought Barcelona the second CL which only the great Cryuff was being able to and first La Liga after few years of complete mess. Rijkard heavily depended on Ronaldinho and failed to re-motivate the team after they reached the top. He stopped getting out of the team doesn't mean the team were poor as average as it was spouted. Before Pep took over Messi already finished second in POTY award while Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol were the backbone of Spain winning EURO. Their squad players are luxurious for every other teams. The quality is there. Because other coaches ain't top class doesn't mean Pep being able. Luis Enquire won treble. What more do you expect when the next thing we know Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta was on the other side of their peak? Clearly they're not replacing that quality of player well, not that failing to get more out of them.

Well what kind of argument is this about Stones? So Pep bought Stones, Gundogan, Bravo... now because of them being shite, his team is punching above their weight? If anything, it adds to the list of Pep's own signings not adapt to his method well, while the quality he inherited prove to be great help. It happens at Barcelona, Bayern and City. Go figure

2. At this point, you look like playing dumb to evade point for me. Youth? Academy players? Anyone? If your argument is this, then Mourinho ain't half as bad as people say looking at his first stint Chelsea players' age.

3. Agree. And that's the point.

AR87

True. It is nonsense not because I disagree with it. It's nonsense because you arbitrarily pulled some criteria out your ass that conveniently excluded a manager who's peers (including SAF), past and present players, and experts consider to be a world class innovative manager.
Different people have different standards. I could care less what peers have said. SAF thought Moyes was a great appointment for United. Your appeal to authority means nothing.

Schneckerl

Ok so I assume City passed on Sanchez because it fecks up their wage structure?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
De Buyne - 75 millions of euros
Bernardo Silva - 50 + 20 = 70
Sterling - 69
Laporte - 65
Mendy - 58
Stones - 58
Walker - 57
Mangala - 52
Otamendi - 45

Sane - 44
Aguero - 40
Fernandinho - 40
Ederson - 40

Last edited:

bleedred

:lol:

Why stop there? Why not imagine if we didn't have any players, or any staff, or even a pitch to play on?
Just to highlight the amount of spending he has done on top of the quality of players he had available already!.

I mean how much would these players worth in current day market?

Mister_Stubbs

He only has success when he has the best squad coupled with an open chequebook.. the upside to all this is that he doesn't buy with an eye for the future of the club, sooner rather than later he'll need to "take a break" and he'll feck off back to Spain or PSG.

Eire Red United

He's hardly going to refuse the Abu Dhabi money, added to that they've been wanting to get him in for 5 years to start building this all conquering dynasty, it's hardly surprising that it appeals to him.
I honestly think he's going to be there a while if the money is any indicator, they've increased the spending substantially he's their man and they're going to back him to the hilt. He builds this and he'll have left a mark and the possibility of being regarded as the best of all time irrespective of any taint associated by the means.

Several decades from now nobody will care about that, it's why things such as the ' Liverpool way ' are obsolete, the history and tradition associated didn't come cheap the only difference being when we spent in the 80s it was through our own means.

The only clubs capable of competing with them are United because of the sheer finances they generate by themselves and Chelsea if Ambramovic fancies it but I doubt that given they've just had a decade where they've won everything in football.

If it wasn't Pep it would be another manager of similar stature and ability.
It could be fecking Bobby Jones from Northampton sitting in his pyjamas playing football manager, thats the level it’s at. Feck them, they’ll always be in our shadow and whatever they win will be tainted by the fact they have unlimited funds.

Barnslig

I don't get the media bias of f.ex Rashford should leave United because of Sanchez' arrival, but at City they can have top class players all warming the bench and everyone is lapping up City and Pep for being geniuses. Why should Rashford be unhappy at being rotated, but Bernardo Silva, Gundogan, Laporte (or whatever 50m CB they decide to bench) etc be ecstatic at the thought?

Pennywise

Very good manager. If you're a city fan you wouldnt and shouldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks. What is tiresome is the media myth of him being some sort of genius. He clearly isn't and he's a complete hypocrite

Antonedwin

Why are people still not realising exactly why they didn’t get Sánchez???
he didn't get sanchez because the guy reject them when he heard us coming in for him.
never about the money ( city proven to have no problem with money ) , that's just narrative from their side to media coming from their salty ass

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Brilliant manager.... once theres an open cheque book lying around.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Money Spent on Defence:

Man City = £281m

Latvia = £280m

Bosnia = £250m

Armenia = £225m

Paraguay = £145m

Ghana = £120m

Placing them 94th in the world for Defence Budget.

haram

Imagine if they didn't have the core of Kompany,Silva, Fernandinho, Aguero and KDB!!!!!... The spend would have crossed a billion by now!
This misses out Otamendi and Sterling as well.

:lol:

Why stop there? Why not imagine if we didn't have any players, or any staff, or even a pitch to play on?
Fact is he has outspent everyone and had already inherited top players. When you spend this much on top of the quality already at City, people have the right to criticise.

Jaybomb

But it’s not United or Mourinho so nobody cares if they splash almost 500m in 2 seasons.

Needham

You guys can attack Pep Guardiola all day long but remember this. Personally he feels the super rich and monopolies are a great injustice. In fact to maintain public awareness of the injustice he wears a little ribbon made out of blood diamonds.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's an incredible coach. But as a manager he's nowhere near someone like Sir Alex no matter how much he wins. Life is just a hell of a lot easier when you can fix every sign of a problem by throwing another 50 million at it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't get the media bias of f.ex Rashford should leave United because of Sanchez' arrival, but at City they can have top class players all warming the bench and everyone is lapping up City and Pep for being geniuses. Why should Rashford be unhappy at being rotated, but Bernardo Silva, Gundogan, Laporte (or whatever 50m CB they decide to bench) etc be ecstatic at the thought?
To be fair it's probably because Rashford is English and a star in the making for the NT. Still a rubbish point given it was a swap and Rashford has played a hell of a lot this season.

Baby Groot

Yes but they are quite happy to feck up squad morale by having too many 60m pound players
Just let them maybe their form will take a nose dive.

Very good manager. If you're a city fan you wouldnt and shouldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks. What is tiresome is the media myth of him being some sort of genius. He clearly isn't and he's a complete hypocrite
Any pre-arab City fans should only be upset that their club has becomed everything they have lothated about United in the past.

SER19

It's staggering. He's truly like a madman on a spree. I don't know why people can't differentiate between the two- people understand that he will spend the money because he has it and true, there is absolutely nothing 'wrong' with that.

But for the more discerning, it is absolutely fair to attach this unprecedented spend to any argument discussing his capabilities as a manager. It doesn't help that he can speak so publicly with such utter hypocrisy and arrogance on so many issues - transfer fees among them.

For me, he has become a detestable man and one I can appreciate in terms of how his teams play but only on that superficial level. It is not his fault though, that a lot of resentment towards him is fostered by such a woefully biased media. They are like a twelve year old in love with an older girl he never has a chance with. He could show up to his next conference in a trump hat with a swastika and have a ten minute monologue about the joys of drowning pugs, and the headlines would still be about how he's revolutionising the game.

Though on that point they are correct / he is revolutionising the game, just not the way they say so. He's shattering the Limits people thought clubs had on spending

SER19

Just let them maybe their form will take a nose dive.

Any pre-arab City fans should only be upset that their club has becomed everything they have lothated about United in the past.
Haven't you heard though - they never had a problem with united, in fact they respected our success. Or so the revisionism goes.

And even though I agree with your point that is still incredibly harsh on united in the past. Nothing compares to this city 'project'

Barnslig

To be fair it's probably because Rashford is English and a star in the making for the NT. Still a rubbish point given it was a swap and Rashford has played a hell of a lot this season.
Still though, he's still only 20, his best years are ahead of him, he's our what? 9th most played player this season, and Mourinho has come out and said he's an important player for us, still the media slaughters United for the sheer audacity of buying a world class player because it might limit Rashford's minutes, while all these City stars in their prime should be happy with warming the bench in the prime years of their career, and it's lauded as great squad depth?

Seems biased to me :)

el3mel

It's hilarious that we go and spend all these millions whenever a single player is injured for the sake of it but we are the ones always getting blamed whenever we try to pay for a player, with the media exaggerating the price we pay for anyone while City are splashing millions left, right and center.

City and PSG represent everything wrong with modern football. They should be the most hated clubs for the way they are going with. A whole country funding them with billions to pay their way for trophies.

Listar

My original point was contesting the notion that in order to be a genius, you had to win against the odds. That definition includes Di Matteo. Your clarification of repeating it (which is moving the goalposts) eliminates Di Matteo, but does that eliminate Benitez? It doesn't. I don't live in a world where Benitez is more of a genius than Guardiola.

If that is your definition, then fair enough. It is just a really restrictive definition, almost as nonsensical as my analogy.

You missed my point. Yes Newton is a genius, regardless of what he went through to get to that point. Brilliance is brilliance. Genius is genius, regardless of the circumstances.
Can the mods just give this guy the city lover or pep lover tag? I mean he is literally begging for it.

RooneyLegend

City have been spending outrageously since purchased and will continue to do so after he's gone. He didn't have the resources to do this at his previous clubs and duly didn't, didn't stop him from winning.