Phelan doubts about signing up

crossy1686

career ending
Worried we going to sign a bunch of overrated British players for extreme amount of money. Fergie tried to have a group of British players towards the end of his tenure like Welbeck, Cleverley, Jones and Smalling. That didn’t really turn out great.

I rather go for Mitchell. Phelan has no top level experience of player spotting and we as a club can’t just keep throwing more money away like we done for six years. I rather get someone who has had experience at a high level and not Australia.
How are those players the same as Sancho, Hundson-Odoi, Foden, Rice, Maguire and Bissako? Comparing apples with oranges. Not to mention the state of our economy at that time and Fergie doing his absolute best to cover the gaps.

crossy1686

career ending
This is just...I feel like I'm on crazy pills reading some of this stuff with Phelan. After leaving us, he's failed at Norwich, failed at Hull and was the sporting director for an Australian side that currently sits at the bottom of the fecking A league. He's not doing us a favour by staying on; we're resurrecting his bloody career.
So you think an ex United player and ex coach/assistant manager under the most successful coach we've ever had has very little knowledge or insight on what it takes to build a world class teams because he couldn't do it at Norwich and Hull? Two European powerhouses with billions to spend and any player he wanted? Short sighted to say the very least.

I'm not saying he should be sporting director, which there's no evidence he's even asked for yet, he should however be kept on as an assistant.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
"The MEN understands Phelan's preference is to reboot the recruitment policy and eschew the superstar strategy United have relied on for much of Ed Woodward's tenure as executive vice-chairman. Solskjaer is believed to be in agreement with Phelan's outlook and there is a determination to recruit without blocking academy talents' pathway to the first-team". Clearly the power struggle with that unspeakable **** with shiny shoes has started. Sounds like both sides have been briefing. Shades of previous managers. It would always, will always, come down to this. Vision. Football. Transfers. Authority. Fair play to Phelan.

The Nani

Ashley Young has been a great servant for us, especially for the price we paid.

Successful clubs have a spine, we don't. Look at Liverpool, their most consistent and important players are the British lads, one of which was signed from Hull. All major European clubs have a spine of nationals or native speakers within their team, no exception at Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona, Madrid etc.

We've got a mismatch of players thrown together in a shit Galactico method, like a poor PSG. We need to rebuild and we'd be way better off with a core of the best British players available.

And don't forget, this is apparently the best English group of players coming through in a long time, so much so, clubs around the world are doing their best to sign them and we're just letting it happen because we can sign Koulibaly instead...
Last I checked servants don’t get paid. At all. Never mind tens or hundreds of thousands a week.

And quite honestly this is just the sort of mentality that scares the shit out of me.

By this logic you bring Wan Bissaka in even though he brings sweet feck all to the side, buy Maguire because he’s the British De Ligt and go all out for Rice without even knowing Rodri exists.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
"The MEN understands Phelan's preference is to reboot the recruitment policy and eschew the superstar strategy United have relied on for much of Ed Woodward's tenure as executive vice-chairman. Solskjaer is believed to be in agreement with Phelan's outlook and there is a determination to recruit without blocking academy talents' pathway to the first-team". Clearly the power struggle with that unspeakable **** with shiny shoes has started. Sounds like both sides have been briefing. Shades of previous managers. It would always, will always, come down to this. Vision. Football. Transfers. Authority. Fair play to Phelan.
Eschew the strategy that never existed, The Men really is a great source of information.

The Nani

This is just...I feel like I'm on crazy pills reading some of this stuff with Phelan. After leaving us, he's failed at Norwich, failed at Hull and was the sporting director for an Australian side that currently sits at the bottom of the fecking A league. He's not doing us a favour by staying on; we're doing him a favour by resurrecting his bloody career.

PREACH.

Oldyella

Doesn't sound too bad to me.

crossy1686

career ending
Last I checked servants don’t get paid. At all. Never mind tens or hundreds of thousands a week.

And quite honestly this is just the sort of mentality that scares the shit out of me.

By this logic you bring Wan Bissaka in even though he brings sweet feck all to the side, buy Maguire because he’s the British De Ligt and go all out for Rice without even knowing Rodri exists.
Young has been asked to play pretty much every position at the club and has done so without moaning, without handing in a transfer request and without flirting with PSG for a new contract. He also has never had an issue tracking back, despite being a winger in his early days, unlike some of our players who believe that kind of effort is below them. If everyone had the same mentality as Ashley Young, we'd have won titles by now.

Well get used to it. This isn't FIFA, you don't just buy players and throw them into a team and watch the Champions League trophies roll in, squads are built.

We don't have a core group of players that have grown up watching us be successful. We've got players who at the first opportunity will move to PSG, Real Madrid or Barcelona if an offer comes along and you want to sign more players like that? Really committed to the cause...

The Nani

Young has been asked to play pretty much every position at the club and has done so without moaning, without handing in a transfer request and without flirting with PSG for a new contract. He also has never had an issue tracking back, despite being a winger in his early days, unlike some of our players who believe that kind of effort is below them. If everyone had the same mentality as Ashley Young, we'd have won titles by now.

Well get used to it. This isn't FIFA, you don't just buy players and throw them into a team and watch the Champions League trophies roll in, squads are built.

We don't have a core group of players that have grown up watching us be successful. We've got players who at the first opportunity will move to PSG, Real Madrid or Barcelona if an offer comes along and you want to sign more players like that? Really committed to the cause...
We should got out and buy eleven of the shittest, British players we can find this summer.

They’ll never complain or flirt with clubs who have no interest in them, will run for days after giving the ball away constantly and we’ll win the league.

In a few years. Maybe. After we’ve been relegated a few times.

crossy1686

career ending
We should got out and buy eleven of the shittest, British players we can find this summer.

They’ll never complain or flirt with clubs who have no interest in them, will run for days after giving the ball away constantly and we’ll win the league.

In a few years. Maybe. After we’ve been relegated a few times.
Yep, sums up your post quality on the whole, absolute nonsense.

Let's just keep doing things the way we are then, obviously working, Fergie was probably a fluke anyway, didn't know what he was doing most of the time.

Kapardin

Successful clubs have a spine, we don't. Look at Liverpool, their most consistent and important players are the British lads, one of which was signed from Hull. All major European clubs have a spine of nationals or native speakers within their team, no exception at Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona, Madrid etc.

We've got a mismatch of players thrown together in a shit Galactico method, like a poor PSG. We need to rebuild and we'd be way better off with a core of the best British players available.

And don't forget, this is apparently the best English group of players coming through in a long time, so much so, clubs around the world are doing their best to sign them and we're just letting it happen because we can sign Koulibaly instead...
Liverpool's spine is their forwards - Mane, Salah and Firmino - and VvD and Allisson at the back. Not the other "lads". Remove these 5 and their midfield wouldn't be as effective as it looks.

We should buy players because they are good, not because they are British. If they are British and good, well, everybody's happy.

crossy1686

career ending
Liverpool's spine is their forwards - Mane, Salah and Firmino - and VvD and Allisson at the back. Not the other "lads". Remove these 5 and their midfield wouldn't be as effective as it looks.

We should buy players because they are good, not because they are British. If they are British and good, well, everybody's happy.
You completely looked past the point of my post.

Yes, Liverpool have great players also in VVD, Salah, Mane etc. but they're most important players, you could say, right now are the Henderson's and the Milner's. Milner is still scoring penalties, Henderson is still making sure the midfield ticks over, Robertson is still getting assists, no one's panicking.

It's easy to look past these guys because they're not trendy £200m signing's but they're the most influential players at Liverpool and do a solid job every game when the likes of Salah, Firmino, Mane or Alisson make mistakes or have an off day. They have that spine to fall back on when things get tough and the pressure is on.

We don't and also, notably, City don't. Have you seen how they flap when they concede a goal? It might only be for a few minutes but it was enough to get them knocked out of the Champions League.

We should be looking to sign the best of the British players currently available. It's worked for us and other teams historically, that hasn't all of a sudden changed because we've got bags of money.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Agreed, we just need more talented players with the same attitude. It's not an either or, we need both if we want to be back on top.

This is just...I feel like I'm on crazy pills reading some of this stuff with Phelan. After leaving us, he's failed at Norwich, failed at Hull and was the sporting director for an Australian side that currently sits at the bottom of the fecking A league. He's not doing us a favour by staying on; we're doing him a favour by resurrecting his bloody career.
I like Phelan but I tend to agree.

Kapardin

You completely looked past the point of my post.

Yes, Liverpool have great players also in VVD, Salah, Mane etc. but they're most important players, you could say, right now are the Henderson's and the Milner's. Milner is still scoring penalties, Henderson is still making sure the midfield ticks over, Robertson is still getting assists, no one's panicking.

It's easy to look past these guys because they're not trendy £200m signing's but they're the most influential players at Liverpool and do a solid job every game when the likes of Salah, Firmino, Mane or Alisson make mistakes or have an off day. They have that spine to fall back on when things get tough and the pressure is on.

We don't and also, notably, City don't. Have you seen how they flap when they concede a goal? It might only be for a few minutes but it was enough to get them knocked out of the Champions League.

We should be looking to sign the best of the British players currently available. It's worked for us and other teams historically, that hasn't all of a sudden changed because we've got bags of money.
No, I was contradicting your post. No way are Milner or Henderson more important than Mane, Salah, Firmino or VvD because the latter "make a few mistakes". Liverpool would neither score as much, nor win as many games without these players. The others are effective in supporting these players but aren't their "core".

The very definition of a "core" or "spine" is a group of players who are game-changers or most important contributors for the team. City's is Aguero, KDB and Sterling for instance. Liverpool's us as I said before, their forwards, VvD and maybe the GK too.

crossy1686

career ending
No, I was contradicting your post. No way are Milner or Henderson more important than Mane, Salah, Firmino or VvD because the latter "make a few mistakes". Liverpool would neither score as much, nor win as many games without these players. The others are effective in supporting these players but aren't their "core".

The very definition of a "core" or "spine" is a group of players who are game-changers or most important contributors for the team. City's is Aguero, KDB and Sterling for instance. Liverpool's us as I said before, their forwards, VvD and maybe the GK too.
Completely disagree. Squads are built on your players that give their all for the cause and grind results out when needed. Your more technical and inconsistent players are the ones you augment your squad with, they win and lose you games depending on their form. World class players are those that carry both these skill sets.

As a manager, and we're not asking him to be a manager. As a first team coach and assistant manager, which is what we are asking him to be, he helped create probably the best team the league has ever seen.

And let's be clear, he didn't fail at Norwich. He was manager for a week and didn't take charge of a single game.

TheReligion

Abusive

Liverpool don't have a British spine at all. The whole squad consists of TAA, Robertson and Milner with the latter not even a starter!

Sorry forgot Big Jord Hendo

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Liverpool don't have a British spine at all. The whole squad consists of TAA, Robertson and Milner with the latter not even a starter!
Yes they do:

Henderson(Captain), Milner(Vice-Captain), Robertson, Gomez, Alexander-Arnold. On the outskirts of the team: Sturridge, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Lallana and about another two to three reserve players on the cusp of the first team.

Last time I checked, at least one of those players has been involved in a goal or scored in most of the games during the business end of this season.

This would be good if we can get Mitchell in too, he could be our Head of recruitment and work closely with Phelan.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only problem with this is that the alleged strategy has never existed.
As for as I'm concerned, recruitment should be taken away from the coaching staff.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As a manager, and we're not asking him to be a manager. As a first team coach and assistant manager, which is what we are asking him to be, he helped create probably the best team the league has ever seen.

And let's be clear, he didn't fail at Norwich. He was manager for a week and didn't take charge of a single game.
The issue being that it was a different job and he wasn't a decision maker. While I would value his experience as an assistant manager, he has no relevant experience as a technical director which means that he is an unknown quantity in that role. Now it doesn't mean that he wouldn't be great, Luis Campos got his first actual DOF job with Monaco and he was pretty good at it though it should be noted that his relation with Mendes gives him access to a large network.

Personally I believe that the best teams in any given country should have a solid core of homegrown players, it makes it easier to maintain a certain culture within the club because these players are less likely to leave, now of course it shouldn't be at the cost of quality which means that a club like United should aggressively target the best british players and make sure that these players are attracted by the club.

CA_vampire

I'd really like to know his opinion about the problems we are facing. Unfortunately, I don't think that is "politically correct" for him to give us a honest assessment of what is going on behind the closed doors...

izec

Pretty sure i am not the only one who thinks we should improve and add someone to our coaching staff with some experience, track record and new ideas, especially if Phelan isnt on the bench anymore.

SammyUnited_83

Think he's too close to Ole to get the role.
Just when it looked like we were going to do things properly (after sacking Jose).

We somehow land Phelan and Ole in the 2 top jobs, couple that with Woody who knows diddly squat, and the Glazers who don't care and it's a recipe for disaster.

Bojan11

Think he's too close to Ole to get the role.
This.

We need a fecking outsider. Someone who doesn’t have the United way ingrained in their way because that’s full of nonsense. Most importantly someone who has experience of spotting good players. Is it hard to get Mitchell or something? Watch him go to Arsenal or Chelsea whilst we be sleeping again.

Too much sentiment at the club. This is why some people are wishing for Saudis to take over because they want to some ruthless people at the club. We just have a spineless board who have no clue what to do when it comes to footballing matters.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Why is almost everything in-house? Go out on to the continent, you twats.
They want yes men - or as close to yes men as they can get away with.

And they want people who are basically just over the Moon to be given any role at Utd.

They don't want progress, they want less demanding people.

This isn't Man Utd anymore.

Irwin99

How are those players the same as Sancho, Hundson-Odoi, Foden, Rice, Maguire and Bissako? Comparing apples with oranges. Not to mention the state of our economy at that time and Fergie doing his absolute best to cover the gaps.
It's easy to forget that those players actually looked like being really good players once. Maybe not so much Cleverly/Welbeck but Jones, Smalling, Evans were meant to be the foundation of our defence for many years after SAF....which they have been sadly. We really have to get the next signings right.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Mike phelan over seeing the rebuild, I’m not sure about this.

What could he know about this role, he’ll be a fish out of water, why not get someone who’s proven in that role somewhere else.