Phil Jones | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
You guys need to put more attention to Phil Jones on the pitch... are you people talking out of your ass or you actually watch him play? whatever...

Backrow Singer

You guys need to put more attention to Phil Jones on the pitch... are you people talking out of your ass or you actually watch him play? whatever...
According to the official website, Jones has made 84 appearances for the club. If your post is aimed towards me, my guess is that I have attended 75+ of those, so don't go down that route.

No-one is suggesting that he isn't a decent player. He is more that capable of playing anywhere across the back four, and does a job in midfield. As I said earlier, he played well on Wednesday and I would play him alongside Cleverley in midfield at Villa tomorrow. He puts himself about, he has a great engine on him and can drive through midfield. Anyone who is prepared to put in as much effort as he does deserves backing. Nobody can fault him for effort, and no-one can say that he doesn't have a future at the club. For me, everything about him says future captain.

What myself and those who share a similar viewpoint are trying to say is that central midfield probably isn't his best position long term. Granted he is only 22, but his strengths, for me, lie in other areas. He is capable of playing in a deeper midfield role, but does he have the technical ability at this stage in his career to play regularly in the role? Is he at his best when picking the ball up deep in midfield and starting attacks? My opinion is that he isn't. Personally, I see his best position long term somewhere in the back four; either at centre back, or even right back where he can use his attacking credentials to greater effect.

I just don't see his best position, long term, being central-midfield. He is capable of playing there however.

Minkaro

I think signing a central midfielder who can tackle will benefit Jones as much as anyone else, because we're asking him to do that job for us now.

I think he's done it quite well, but if a new guy comes in, it'll allow him to move back into the centre back position.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So comfortable. I realise he wasn't overly tested but he didn't put a foot wrong.

He can become our future captain.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Jones and Evans have to get a run at CB. Both looked very very solid today. I think its a nice combination of a bit of madness (Jones) and calmness (Evans).

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The high praise Fergie gave last season to jones at the time seemed over the top. But many of us said that comment was for jones alone to take confidence from.

Similar to a few years ago when I admittedly laughed when Fergie said Welbeck would be a future England starter.

The Neviller

Absolutely brilliant. I love this kid. Can step into midfield and play well, and is immense at centre half. Quality.

ricky-romeo

agree that he had that JT kind of aura (on the pitch at least), especially the way he played and his no nonsense approach.

a year or two ago he was a bit rash and his positioning when playing at CB was a bit off, remember that game against newcastle at st james park where he was all over the place.

his latest performances at CB, that second half against arsenal and yesterday's game, is a prove that he has improve a lot now. JT was never a quick player, but his positioning, reading of the game and dominance inside his area was world class. if jones can get anyway near JT's level in terms of those attributes, then he is going to be a hell of a player!

Gladiator

:lol: rooney's face

Jones & Evans were excellent as a partnership. Jones' anticipation is frightening at times. He sees the danger and immediately steps in to cut it out. He & Jonny tracked Benteke's runs quite well. The same runs which troubled Smalling in the same fixture last season. There were times where Benteke would occupy the space that Rafael left because he was bombing forward so much. Jones was never fazed and made sure if he got any passes, he didn't have much time on it. Excellent performance from both

LoveInTheAsylum

Repeating what others have said, his reading of the play was fantastic today. He stepped in ahead of an attacker to win the ball so cleanly on a number of occasions. Nice too to have good recovery pace at the back (esp. Jones & Rafael) allowing them to be aggressive when needed.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Can't find the post about him being marked by C.Ronaldo :lol: . This may be the best thread on the caf.

mufcwarm92

That picture :lol:

Anyone else find this angry kind of celebration bizarre? You see it more and more, players charging in and giving the scorer a shove, screaming angrily in their face or twatting them round the back of the head. GET IN, YOU feckING LEGEND, feck YOU

SirAF

Ageist

Anyone else find this angry kind of celebration bizarre? You see it more and more, players charging in and giving the scorer a shove, screaming angrily in their face or twatting them round the back of the head. GET IN, YOU feckING LEGEND, feck YOU

Bizarre? It's the best kind of celebration!

Status
Not open for further replies.