Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracture90

Warms my heart to see him so dominant game in game out.

Superb performance, bar that missed clearance that turned out offside.

Him and Bailly is something to hope for.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
He's been absolutely fantastic since his return. I'm not ashamed to admit I was very wrong about him. Long may it continue.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
One of the biggest positives for me is that the partnership of Jones and Rojo somehow seems to work. I thought that would be calamitous, but they've been competent or impressive in every game.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
What's with the 5 appearances 1 goal stat at the top of the page? I can't remember him scoring a goal.

He's been great though, which shouldn't be that big of a surprise, considering he genuinely was a very talented prospect before his injury woes.

Raw

What's with the 5 appearances 1 goal stat at the top of the page? I can't remember him scoring a goal.

He's been great though, which shouldn't be that big of a surprise, considering he genuinely was a very talented prospect before his injury woes.
It's a joke about Brad Jones' own goal in the Feyenoord game :lol:

Devil may care

One of the biggest positives for me is that the partnership of Jones and Rojo somehow seems to work. I thought that would be calamitous, but they've been competent or impressive in every game.
Agreed, never thought I'd feel confident in a back 4 with these 2 at the center, but they have been excellent so far.

m1y2

somebody a gif of that tackle on Payet around 70th minute mark I think?

Will be interesting situation with our centerbacks. I am sure Jose will like to have more height so Smalling/Bailly are moved back there but would be unfair to drop any of the two current cbs as they are brilliant past couple of games..

Sylar

Thanks to him and Rojo, we actually dont have to rush Bailly back which is great news (and wont be that much of an issue with Bailly out to ACoN).

Keep saying it, but hope he stays fit and has a nice run.

ti vu

somebody a gif of that tackle on Payet around 70th minute mark I think?

Will be interesting situation with our centerbacks. I am sure Jose will like to have more height so Smalling/Bailly are moved back there but would be unfair to drop any of the two current cbs as they are brilliant past couple of games..
Disagree. Jose rate players (not just defender) with aerial ability on top of football ability, but ain't blind to just height. Carvalho, Ramos, Samuel, Chivu, Cordoba... are not that tall for CB. Carvalho being Mourinho's favorite moving with him to 3 different clubs and became starter. Bailly is not that tall, even I said slightly below average, and he was one of Mourinho's core signings.

With that in mind, unless hospital calling Jones and Rojo losing form, I see Smalling having a hard time getting back to the starting line up consider his inability on ball. Despite the reputation of playing dire football, Mourinho's CBs are often solid footballers/ passers.

Last edited:

Utdstar01

Would love it if he somehow made it here as a first team player. A good interview on the skysports website with him too that's worth a look at.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He and Rojo have both been excellent. Long may it continue.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He's really good at stepping up and getting in front of the striker to intercept the ball. If Jose wants to bring in a top, proven defender, it'll be interesting to see who out of Jones, Smalling or Rojo we will keep (assuming Blind stays as utility man).

ash_86

He's much better on the ball than Smalling. Defending wise he's not too behind too. If only he keeps himself fit

bdecuc

Very brave and committed of Jones I think to step up and play that first game when we desperately needed a cb and he wasn't match fit. Imagine having all those injuries. You'd have to feel very vulnerable from that experience? And want to be 100% right and prepared before you'd like to risk your new and rare injury-free state in a competitive top level match right? The team needed him and he stepped up. Fair play to him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Very good again today. Hopefully he can build a nice partnership with Bailly (and stay fit) as those 2 could compliment each other very well I think.

Kag

His front foot defending has always been very good. He struggles badly in the air and it will cost us unless we introduce some more height alongside him. It's why he and Smalling have always worked so well together.

Devil may care

The stand-out from the back 4 today, took charge of situations well and handled Lukaku without too much of a problem.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
If he stays fit, and his form doesn't drop - this will be his best season yet. Easily our best defender right now.

donkeyfish

One of our best players today, great performance. A bit clumsy on the ball at time, but thats acceptable from a centre back.

Im very impressed with his run of games after almost not playing for a year. He seems sharp and wins a lot of balls. Positioned himself well in some critical situations, like the 2v1 on the back post in the first half.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm really pleased he's doing so well for us at the moment and Mourinho has placed his faith in him. It's weird to see him get a run of games because of his injury record. I just hope he keeps going and proves he deserves to be here. I thought he come across very well in his interview at the end of the match, he's grown up a lot since the comment he made a few years ago after we were knocked out of the Champions League claiming he had nothing to prove.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Didn't put a foot wrong today. Been really impressed with him since his return, and to a lesser extent Rojo.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
Going to be really interesting to see who Mourinho ends up selecting as his defensive pair once every one is fit. Jones and Rojo have been very good in the last 5 games or so and Bailly was fantastic at the beginning of the season. Throw in Smalling and even Blind as an option and there is a decision to be made. Based on form this season, Bailly and Jones would be a pretty good choice but don't know if they are too similar. Be pretty rough on Rojo to be dropped after putting in pretty faultless performances of late.

the hea

He's been very good since coming back from injury. Hopefully Bailly will be back in the team soon because I think they would compliment each other very well and form a formidable centre back pairing

Raw

When did he last manage 6 in a row? Has he ever until now?
He played 11 league games in a row in 14/15, but didn't play in various cup games during that period (probably just to rest him).

In all competitions the last time he managed 6 or more in a row was under Moyes/Giggs where he managed 13 in a row from March 8th to May 6th, before getting injured against Hull at home in the penultimate game. These included the two games against Bayern in the CL quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.