Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizy

We have quality options in a fully fit Jones, Smalling & Bailey. Keeping the fully fit on the other hand...

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
He is far supierior to smalling if he can stay fit, so calm in possesion and positionally superb.

3 games in a row too, happy for him.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Well done, Jones. Proving everyone wrong (including me), that's how it's done. Let's hope he manages to stay fit.

Ekeke

It's irritating how quickly people dismiss Smalling. He basically has to be perfect all the time. He's been brilliant for two years but one bad game he played with a broken toe changes all that. Madness.

Jones suffers the same fate. He's almost always played well for us. But apparently because he can't stay fit he must be a useless brain dead twat. we really do have some shit supporters
Agreed. Smalling has indeed been poor this season, but only a fool would write him off completely when he's been one of the best players at the club for the past 2 seasons and hasnt often let us down.

Sylar

Really really really hope his injury worries are behind him.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
He's a cracking player, and let's face it he always been - but he's looking better than ever under Jose. I really hope he stays injury-free for a while. Love the guy; Calm, professional, strong and works hard.

Also a Fergie remnant :) and English :cool:

ZDwyr

The only issue I have with him (and Rojo) is that they don't clear the ball well. They both have a habit of just putting it back to the edge of the box or in a dangerous area. Apart from that Jones has been really good.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
There's this weird obsession with our fans to only prefer 2 defenders at any given time.

Smalling's been our best defender for the last 2 seasons where Jones has had a terrible run of injury. Now Jones is back, after Smalling had a bad game at Chelsea, suddenly Jones has always been better etc.

We should be celebrating the depth we have in defence, between Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Blind & Rojo they each have their advantages and disadvantages, and it's possible to like all of them without thinking another is crap because of it.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
There's this weird obsession with our fans to only prefer 2 defenders at any given time.

Smalling's been our best defender for the last 2 seasons where Jones has had a terrible run of injury. Now Jones is back, after Smalling had a bad game at Chelsea, suddenly Jones has always been better etc.

We should be celebrating the depth we have in defence, between Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Blind & Rojo they each have their advantages and disadvantages, and it's possible to like all of them without thinking another is crap because of it.
This is 100% true. Now for the first time three, Rojo is held quite high as well atm.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He's looking better than ever! Composed on and off the ball, and positioning himself so well.

We have a big month coming up, with Bailly off to the AFCON, i hope he can maintain his form.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Looking good at the moment.

It's like he all of a sudden realized this isn't 1998 and got rid of the highlights. Good call Philip.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He is doing ok'ish, but good to have him back. I like that he takes over responsability and steps in when needed

Norris

Impressed with him against Feyenoord. Like everyone said, if he keeps fit, he could form a good partnership with Smalling (The Fergie dream!). I am glad we finally have a clean sheet after what feels like an eternity of conceding late goals.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's Jose's type of centre back, no question of that. He's a physical alpha who has a nose for trouble and plays to his instincts, unafraid of putting his face where it hurts. I doubt his quality though personally and I'll be surprised if he's injury free enough to make 20 appearances this season.

Ludens the Red

Good again today, played with urgency, unlike a lot of the others. Hope he can stay fit, three games in a week is impressive for Phil Jones.

Loublaze

ATLien
Both him and Rojo were very poor in the air. They let Ibrahimovic bare the responsibility of defending set pieces and that didn't work out very well. I stopped breathing every time West Ham had a corner or freekick

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Both him and Rojo were very poor in the air. They let Ibrahimovic bare the responsibility of defending set pieces and that didn't work at well. I stopped breathing every time West Ham had a corner or freekick
Everyone has a man/zone to mark from set pieces. They can't be everywhere. Ibrahimovic was at fault for the goal today. Fact!

Loublaze

ATLien
Everyone has a man/zone to mark from set pieces. They can't be everywhere. Ibrahimovic was at fault for the goal today. Fact!
The fact is they were both easily bullied in the air at set pieces, almost none existent. West Ham won far too many headers and its something Mourinho must address before Wednesday when we meet them again. Bailly and Smalling are much better

Walters_19_MuFc

The fact is they were both easily bullied in the air at set pieces, almost none existent. West Ham won far too many headers and its something Mourinho must address. Bailly and Smalling are much better
That's just made up rubbish. We've looked pretty solid from set pieces since Rojo and Jones have been at the back, conceding one goal from a set piece, which neither was at fault for.

Loublaze

ATLien
That's just made up rubbish. We've looked pretty solid from set pieces since Rojo and Jones have been at the back, conceding one goal from a set piece, which neither was at fault for.
Im talking about today's game. They were both weak at setpieces thats not made up rubbish, and they both haven't really been tested in this run of games. I'd say West Ham gave them the most trouble. Rojo in particular was rushed into some bad passes under pressure

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Has been very good. Not easy to just come in after such a layoff and be solid.

I thought he was done here. Good on him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
For people who are obsessed with CBs having to distribute the ball like they are midfielders so we can all pretend how important that is in a system that actually isn't really dependant on that, can someone show me how exactly either of Jones or Rojo helped our midfield and attack today? I certainly couldn't see the difference between how those two played today, and how someone like Smalling usually plays. Only difference is that those two looked bit nicer on the ball, but without actually doing anything effective with it. Smalling receives criticism in pretty much every game for his distribution and I am yet to see what Jones(Rojo too) brought with his "passing" game since he started playing lately.

Kag

It's not, actually. Jones is poor in the air, as is Rojo. In the past, we've conceded a fair few goals from crosses when they've played at centre half and this is something that'll continue the more they play.

Even from goal kicks, if you keep an eye on it, Jones has this habit of having to climb over the attacker to get near to heading it. On occasions, he gets under the ball altogether and the ball bounces into dangerous positions.

He's a generally good defender. A lot better than people give him credit for. But he needs somebody like Smalling that can dominate the box alongside him, otherwise players like Giroud will get a lot of joy in our box.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The guy is a quality defender. The big goofy bastard just needs to stay fit and he'll be a big player for us.

thepolice123

Another excellent performance. Uses the ball far better than Smalling. Had a brainfart near the end when he air kicked the cross.

TheReligion

Abusive
Looking great isn't he? Read the game like a good hardback novel.

Could be a perfect partner for a returning Bailly.

Status
Not open for further replies.