Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'm surprised he's lasted here as long as he has. Never wanted him but he started well for us. Since then, it's been downhill with a horrible injury record and lack of form. Reminds me of Anderson, in that he is taking up the position of a potential signing and is stealing a living at the club.
I thought he was going to be an excellent signing when we first got him, but he has actually got worse as time goes on and is never fit anyways. Very lucky to be still at the club. Would have TFM and even Rojo ahead of him in the pecking order.

Robbie Boy

I thought he was going to be an excellent signing when we first got him, but he has actually got worse as time goes on and is never fit anyways. Very lucky to be still at the club. Would have TFM and even Rojo ahead of him in the pecking order.
I never saw it with him at Blackburn and when Liverpool looked like front runners for his signature, I wasn't the least bit fussed.

But he started well as a RB for us and then had some good spells at CB. But lack of availability and form mean we should probably cut our losses.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Injuries destroyed him from both physical and mental aspects and there may be even more difficult times ahead for him unfortunately.

Hammondo

He was never good. Always overrated.

Revan

Assumptionman
That there are still sane people who think that he is anything else but totally useless is beyond explanation.

He's the new Anderson. Injured most of the time, shit when not injured, but somehow he has a lot of potential and will become great if we give him just an another year.

Raw

Not basing much on today's game, but we really do have too many average CBs in the squad. I dread to think what will happen if Smalling and/or Bailly get injured.

Revan

Assumptionman
I never saw it with him at Blackburn and when Liverpool looked like front runners for his signature, I wasn't the least bit fussed.

But he started well as a RB for us and then had some good spells at CB. But lack of availability and form mean we should probably cut our losses.
I don't think that he ever had them. Heck, he probably didn't have a single great game in that position.

He did an okay job as RB in his first season, and a very good job in pitbull role in midfield against a few teams, but he never did that good in CB position.

Kaos

If he wasn't English we would have got rid time ago.

It probably didn't help that he was being compared to the likes of Duncan Edwards either.

FromTheBench

I don't think that he ever had them. Heck, he probably didn't have a single great game in that position.

He did an okay job as RB in his first season, and a very good job in pitbull role in midfield against a few teams, but he never did that good in CB position.
He was good in 2nd half of Moyes season and good in between his injuries in LVG's first season. IIrc he was among the top most CB's statwise that season when fit.

Natener

The energy he showed in the early part of his career made up for the flaws in his game for a long while. But now he's 24 and the flaws are still there. He's still 'young' for a defender but he's got to show us some signs of improvements at least. Hope he does so under Mourinho but I won't hold my breath.

Robbie Boy

Meh, he probably didn't. Either way, I never wanted him, don't rate him and would rather he left.

settembrini

He's the new Anderson. Injured most of the time, shit when not injured, but somehow he has a lot of potential and will become great if we give him just an another year.
I think the Anderson comparison is unfortunately accurate for him. People talk about how he is still relatively young but ignore the fact that he's been playing first team football since he was 18. He's had six seasons and, despite injuries, over 200 games for Blackburn, United and England. You can only describe a player as having 'potential' for so long.

FacerTheRed

Injuries, 4 different managers in a space 3-4 years and playing in different positions which has disrupted his development as a centre half, from going to right back, defensive midfielder, center half and even left back at one point. Will he go? doubt it considering Jose needs as much depth in the squad. I hope he really improves because he does have the qualities and determination to take him further.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So, those reports claiming he's to be our starting CB... :lol:

Hammondo

Injuries, 4 different managers in a space 3-4 years and playing in different positions which has disrupted his development as a centre half, from going to right back, defensive midfielder, center half and even left back at one point. Will he go? doubt it considering Jose needs as much depth in the squad. I hope he really improves because he does have the qualities and determination to take him further.
What qualities?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It is unfortunate but the truth is, he really is too far behind now.

In an ideal situation, if we played him in one position and he wasn't injured he would have been a beast of a player. I remember his games against Madrid -- did such a good job. As it stands, other CBs deserve a chance. He will have to fight his way back to the team and that requires staying fit and being really good when you're on.

I'm all up for selling him but we need to get rid of Rojo first. He is like playing with 10 men.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
The question isn't whether he can be first choice. It's whether he's even actually a footballer.

Shocking stuff.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If he wasn't English we would have got rid time ago.

It probably didn't help that he was being compared to the likes of Duncan Edwards either.
The comparison to Duncan Edwards, in hindsight was ridiculous. Physically they might be similar, that it where it ends.

clarkydaz

I wouldn't be too outraged with whispers of him being first choice. Nature will take its course anyway

marlowe78

I like Jones as a person, but that's about it. It's simply not worth keeping him anymore. Injuries have conspired against him in a lot of ways but even overlooking that, I don't think he has the needed abilities to be a CB for us. His athleticism covers up poor skills with the ball, rash decisions, poor positioning, etc.

It's important to keep in mind that one of our CBs (Bailly) is tied to an ALON team so we might be without a key CB for a few weeks of the league season. We should clear out players like Jones and get reliable backups into the team.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Can someone please change his 'profile' pic? I simply can't unsee it now

Walters_19_MuFc

I've just watched the game, so it's fresh in my memory. You lot know how to overreact, don't you? I mean, for some players who are poor it's, 'it's only pre season, still finding his feet', then for others its, 'he's awful. doesn't belong at the club' etc. Let's not have double standards.

Jones weren't great (apart from Shaw, I didn't think any was) but surely we can't judge from one game. Jones is still two or three games in after a long term injury, and like everyone else, pre season will allow him to get back to full sharpness. Yes, Shaw has also come back from a very long term injury, but some people are different. I.e., it has been well known that Rooney takes long to settle from an injury, whereas other players can just get back into the swing of things.

What I'm saying is, let's wait until all the games are over, and lets see how he does before criticising him, because if we judge on one game, then a few of our players should be going after today's performance.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I've just watched the game, so it's fresh in my memory. You lot know how to overreact, don't you? I mean, for some players who are poor it's, 'it's only pre season, still finding his feet', then for others its, 'he's awful. doesn't belong at the club' etc. Let's not have double standards.

Jones weren't great (apart from Shaw, I didn't think any was) but surely we can't judge from one game. Jones is still two or three games in after a long term injury, and like everyone else, pre season will allow him to get back to full sharpness. Yes, Shaw has also come back from a very long term injury, but some people are different. I.e., it has been well known that Rooney takes long to settle from an injury, whereas other players can just get back into the swing of things.

What I'm saying is, let's wait until all the games are over, and lets see how he does before criticising him, because if we judge on one game, then a few of our players should be going after today's performance.
Haven't watched the game yet, but was surprised with all the stick to Jones. Then i checked the teams...

With a midfield of Blind and Herrera, even Rio + Vidic would have struggled.

ps. Shaw being the standout is great news though. Him back makes us instantly so much better team.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang

So true. Jones has played 529 minutes of competitive football in the last 12 months. Only a little more than the 450 minutes Shaw has played. Granted, Shaw is looking sharper, but they should both be afforded the similar amounts of patience. It's clear that Jones' ankle is still not giving him full mobility yet. That will come with time.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He needs to go. Complete clown. He will be off I reckon.

Born2Lose

Some people are being really harsh on him, but there isn't much logic in constantly depending on a CB with an injury record as bad as Jones has.

I sort of understood it when Spurs kept Ledley King around because the guy was a top CB, but for me Jones hasn't shown anything to be considered near that level.

Camilo

He's hardly played for a year. I'll be delighted if Mourinho gives him plenty of time to get up to speed. He's still young, he's english, he's physical, and he has huge experience at the absolute top level.

He just needs to get over these injuries and get a run of games in a settled, organised team. Obviously that's easier said than done, but I think - with a top manager now in - we'd be stupid not to try.

Footyislife

Played no worse than Bailly in the first half yet people criticize him. Wait for a couple more games to let him build his rhythm before judging. Had a great season LVG's first year, top rated young CB for his age. People just hate him because he doesn't stay fit and does some eccentric stuff. Sure he has areas he can improve in, but so can Smalling or any CB on our team. He's only 24 and has plenty of time to outgrow his injuries and fullfil his potential. You guys are acting like he's in his prime and struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.