Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

Still don’t think he should be offered a new deal. We seen this before where he puts a decent performance and then disappears for a month. Let’s not fall for that trick again.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's way better when we defend on the front foot, as is Lindelof. Both showed it today. We don't have defenders like Chiellini or Barzagli who relish being put under pressure and soaking up that pressure to defend on the back foot. People like Terry who don't get fazed and can hold their own and dominate the box. Doesn't mean our defenders aren't good players.

gajender

We need to move on Jones and Rojo by next summer, preferably Rojo in January itself.

After a regular run of games Phil Jones is quite capable of holding his place in this United team but going forward we need to do better and his injury record simply doesn't warrant a new contract for him.

Ace of Spades

He was superb, but I would still sell him. His problem is injuries, he was amazing as a young player when we bought him, but constant injuries have regressed him physically and he still has not ironed out the mistakes that he makes at times.

el3mel

He is going to feck up or get injured sooner rather than later. We have been at this several times now so I'll never trust this to continue. It's 8 years.

haram

He played well. That doesn't mean we shouldn't sign a top CB, especially one that can play on the left. Jones and Rojo can play on the left but they are never fit. Lindelof has played on the left but he is obviously better on the right.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’d have Smalling and one other CB as our first choice. Jones as back up. Lindelof behind Jones.

Get rid of Bailly and Rojo,

A-man

Not slightly better, Jones thread got a few okays and decents while Lindelof's was inundated with claims he was incredible and his match ratings was an entire 0.6 better.

Amount of passes shows that despite Lindelof meant to be the ball player and Jones apparently being shit on the ball, Jones was still the one getting on the ball more and playing out with it. Also shows how he was made 100% of his long balls while Lindelof attempted long ball after long ball which all went incomplete.

Good placement doesn't negate having to tackle or intercept. You still need to recover the ball.

It also doesn't show Lindelof getting outdone by a random hoof down the field and letting his man run right by him. Or the amount of times he is so useless aerially that he doesn't even bother to challenge for it.

Simple fact is Jones was doing twice as much defending out there while also show just as good quality on the ball, if not better. And people refuse to give him the credit he deserves. Lindelof on the other hand had a good game and is praised as incredible.
Five random postera in this thread isn’t who I refer to as most people. People here are still pissed off because of his earlier matches.

Lindelof got a lot of credit because he took his game to a new level; the level people ha e been waiting for. Just defending against Cardiff is never going to get the highest ratings.

Lindelof is good on the ball, no need to argue against that because of the stats in this game. If he is better than Jones or not, is hard to tell but the match before, Jones ball handling cost an own goal. Cannot judge players ball handing skills from one match.

You can say Lindelof was outrun, by a forward who started meters ahead of him, but it was also because Jones screw up the offside line. If they play more together, which I hope, that will work better. However there is always a risk that a CB gets outrun when you play a high offside line. For me that is a price worth paying to get the kind of football we saw yesterday. But sure, it will most likely come at the expense of a few goals conceded. Anyway, in the end he recovered enough to give him such a poor angle that DDG didn’t have any troubles at all.

Kant-ona

I still think that Bailly should play as number one choice in the defence, however, you have to say that this match against cardiff was the best Jones' performance for a while. He was attacking like mad.

Fracture90

Think he was pretty good, he was especially good on putting pressure on their attacking players, taking the ball away from them, forcing them to make mistakes to stop them from developing attacks. His timing was impeccable. Though much like with Lindeof I'm worried about his lack of pace.

-Supreme-

He usually perform well against smaller teams but his big costly mistakes will arrive in important games where it matters the most.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's an aggressive front foot defender, and will excel in a team that presses up the pitch.

He's a good defender. People go over the top with his mistakes. Unfortunately, as I always say, he can't stay fit and because of that, it means that he may not be here next season.

At the moment; however, when he's fit, I'd have him playing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's an aggressive front foot defender, and will excel in a team that presses up the pitch.

He's a good defender. People go over the top with his mistakes. Unfortunately, as I always say, he can't stay fit and because of that, it means that he may not be here next season.

Even if you rate him he is not that good to have him playing for 2 out of 10 games and disrupt some other potential partnership or CB that might be better than him. I would rather play worse CBs than him(neither of them are much worse than him anyway) who can at least stay fit and build partnership/teamwork with others. Jones is here for more than 7-8 years and he didn't have single year in which he proved to be solid partner for other CB, and it was never down to his partner. He is also out of contract next summer so he should hopefully go, there is really no point of playing him anymore at all.

Dante

Average bang

Spot on.

If the ball ever gets within 3 feet of the penalty spot, you can guarantee that Jones will be the one battling to clear it. But because he lives by the sword, he's occasionally prone to dying by it, too.

Carragher had a similar problem in his career. The occasional own goal was inevitable. But his ability to get to crosses first meant he stopped many more chances that would have been certain goals than he ever conceded.

EngimaMK

A lot of people are excusing PJ because of his injuries but let's be honest, even when fully fit do you really trust him when you see the name on the team sheet? He could easily let someone go by him, pull someone down for a pen or be completely choppy with his legs when there's a clean tackle to be made. Never gonna be united quality. He is my least favourite of all united defenders. Rugby league player through and through

Kag

He was actually our best defender the other day. It’s often the case. His issues are fitness and (let’s be honest) his ability to recreate scenes from a Titus Bramble DVD.

If you could guarantee Jones’ fitness (which you can’t) then he’d be in business. He’s nowhere near as bad as some people like to pretend.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
He was actually our best defender the other day. It’s often the case. His issues are fitness and (let’s be honest) his ability to recreate scenes from a Titus Bramble DVD.

If you could guarantee Jones’ fitness (which you can’t) then he’d be in business. He’s nowhere near as bad as some people like to pretend.
I mostly agree, he has been hampered by injuries but seems to be terrific on his day. I do question his consistency though, he does make occasional but very costly mistakes.

stevoc

He's been fit and available since early november hasn't he? So no doubt he's due an injury soon enough.

Also looking at his injury record is there a part of his anatomy he hasn't injured yet?

PHIL JONES INJURY HISTORY
Injury Club Date Injury Reported
Muscle Fatigue Manchester United Injuries 2018 December 1st
Hamstring Injury Manchester United Injuries 2018 August 27th
Fitness Manchester United Injuries 2018 August 1st
Knock Manchester United Injuries 2018 April 27th
Hamstring Injury Manchester United Injuries 2018 February 15th
Illness Manchester United Injuries 2018 February 1st
Calf Injury Manchester United Injuries 2017 November 10th
Hip Injury Manchester United Injuries 2017 October 21st
Knee Injury Manchester United Injuries 2017 September 30th
Knock Manchester United Injuries 2017 September 23rd
Toe Injury Manchester United Injuries 2017 March 21st
Hamstring Injury Manchester United Injuries 2017 February 8th
Foot Manchester United Injuries 2017 February 1st
LCL Knee Ligament Injury Manchester United Injuries 2016 September 5th
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester United Injuries 2016 February 8th
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester United Injuries 2016 January 2nd
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester United Injuries 2015 November 21st
Illness Manchester United Injuries 2015 August 6th
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester United Injuries 2015 June 14th
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester United Injuries 2015 April 12th
Illness Manchester United Injuries 2015 February 27th
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester United Injuries 2015 February 11th
Calf/Shin Injury Manchester United Injuries 2014 October 22nd
Hamstring Injury Manchester United Injuries 2014 September 8th
Shoulder Injury Manchester United Injuries 2014 May 6th
Hip/Thigh Injury Manchester United Injuries 2014 February 12th
Concussion Manchester United Injuries 2014 February 1st
Knee Injury Manchester United Injuries 2013 December 21st
Groin/Pelvis Injury Manchester United Injuries 2013 November 15th
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester United Injuries 2013 September 1st
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester United Injuries 2013 February 18th
Calf/Shin Injury Manchester United Injuries 2013 February 10th
Illness Manchester United Injuries 2013 February 1st
Knock Manchester United Injuries 2012 December 23rd
Cartilage Knee Injury Manchester United Injuries 2012 September 6th
Back Injury Manchester United Injuries 2012 August 4th
Illness Manchester United Injuries 2012 March 13th
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester United Injuries 2012 January 22nd
Knock Manchester United Injuries 2012 January 8th
Illness Manchester United Injuries 2011 December 25th
Facial Injury Manchester United Injuries 2011 December 21st

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I like him, always have. Problem is, even on the rare occasion he's fully fit and playing consecutively, the opposition will always feel he'll offer them one chance in the game. He's a bit like Wes Brown in that sense, although on his day Wesley was definitely a better player. That Barca 08/09 game. :drool:

Devil may care

At this point he's pretty much here because he's a long serving well liked player, much like Rafael was until LVG sold him. He's not as well liked as Rafael was by the supporters though. Im being facetious. I agree with you though, I don't see the point in holding on to and rewarding a player with contracts when he's seldom fit or consistently good enough to do his job.
I think Jones being English has gotten a bit of extra rope, and despite the brainfarts here and there he has had some very good games for us, the tools are there for a quality CB but it's all worthless as he can't stay fit and there's no sign of that changing so we should cut our losses and move on.

Man Utd 3:1 Huddersfield

Ekeke

Played well again. Mind you we should know by now he's more than good enough for the kinds of games that we've played the last 2 times. Its the big ones where hes a bit wobbly

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Good partnership forming with Lindelof. Jones has better positioning and aerial ability. Was not to blamefor the Huddersfield goal.

Ekeke

Why the feck are so many people saying he should be gotten rid of in the Matchday and Post-match threads? Thought he was really good today. Some people will see what they want to see. Insane.
Because he could score a hatrick and still wouldnt get any credit. Those posters already made up their mind about him years ago, nothing he does will change it.

marktan

He's always been a decent player, the problem is he's also always been 2 games from an injury for about 10 years now. Seeing him do well means nothing if he can't stay fit.

Eugenius

I reckon he's highly rated by Phelan in particular. He played almost every game when fit under SAF.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
2 games in a row without getting injured?
New record?

Think he's been alright with Lindelöf.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because he could score a hatrick and still wouldnt get any credit. Those posters already made up their mind about him years ago, nothing he does will change it.
Again that story? Here we go again. Every season the same. Two good games against shit teams and people forget how shit he is

Kag

People can knock Phil Jones all they want (and sometimes it’s certainly merited) but the fact remains that every single manager he’s played under has considered him first choice when fit.

Ekeke

Again that story? Here we go again. Every season the same. Two good games against shit teams and people forget how shit he is
He's not shit. He showed that last season. He's just not who we want starting matches against the top sides, thats where he makes mistakes

Games like this he's a very good option

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
People can knock Phil Jones all they want (and sometimes it’s certainly merited) but the fact remains that every single manager he’s played under has considered him first choice when fit.
Saf didn't, Moyes didn't, Lvg didn't, Jose didn't....so who?

Status
Not open for further replies.