Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Cant wait until he's not a Manchester United player. Awful, awful, awful, imbecile of a footballer. Its not just that he's rubbish himself, its that the whole team look edgy as F when he's doing his thing.

Djemba-Djemba

Cant wait until he's not a Manchester United player. Awful, awful, awful, imbecile of a footballer. Its not just that he's rubbish himself, its that the whole team look edgy as F when he's doing his thing.
He makes everyone around him nervous and panicky because you don't know what he's going to to. He's like a ticking time bomb and it must be so difficult to play next to him.

You could probably stick Rio in his absolute 2006-2009 prime next to him and he'd have Rio rattled by being his clumsy gormless self.

I'm praying we don't give him a new contract.

red4ever 79

Every single match. Every match he does a f*ck up. That one in the first half. I am not going to comment on his recovery tackle because the sheer fact that he put himself in that position says it all about his quality and concentration levels. If we renew his contract then it will be an indictment of the clubs ambitions.

Alabaster Codify7

Almost gave away two goals inside 10mins or so. Or a goal and a clear goal-scoring chance. He is a fecking liability and needs to be shipped out two years ago let alone this coming summer.

Doracle

I've noticed that when Jones is injured a lot of people post 'he's our best centre back when fit' but when he's fit and in the team those people vanish.
He’s currently fit, in our team and he’s been our best defender in two of the three matches he’s played under Ole. Focusing on one mistake (which he recovered himself) gets us nowhere. It’s no coincidence that our best partnerships over the last three years (Rojones, Bailly and Jones last season and now Lindelof-Jones looks very promising) have one player in common. He’s a very good defender.

As I’ve said elsewhere, he’s on a last chance to show he can stay fit for a sustained spell but he’s first choice currently.

He’s currently fit, in our team and he’s been our best defender in two of the three matches he’s played under Ole. Focusing on one mistake (which he recovered himself) gets us nowhere. It’s no coincidence that our best partnerships over the last three years (Rojones, Bailly and Jones last season and now Lindelof-Jones looks very promising) have one player in common. He’s a very good defender.

As I’ve said elsewhere, he’s on a last chance to show he can stay fit for a sustained spell but he’s first choice currently.
Its always the same with him. He's great for a run of games until he makes a massive mistake or gets injured. It would be tolerable if we got half a season or more in between, but it's more like 3 or 4 games before he costs us a goal, gets sent off or injures himself. He should be first on the exit list.

Member 115509

He needs to go, continually injured and when he does play he fails to convince. Sell him sooner rather than later before it becomes too late to get a decent transfer fee for him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've noticed that when Jones is injured a lot of people post 'he's our best centre back when fit' but when he's fit and in the team those people vanish.
Bailly gets the same. Whenever it's been a while since he last played it feels like at least half the forum can't wait until he gets back because 'he's our best centre back', then he comes back and after normally having 5-6 good games (he didn't even have them this time) he falls apart and starts making ridiculous mistakes.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That tackle against Newcastle was pure luck it wasn't 'sensational' or anything close to that. Rondon thought he was offside, on another day that would have been a goal or penalty when Rondon was actually alert instead of being surprised. If you want proof then look at the countless goals Jones has gifted.

FujiVice

Phil added another hilarious "man walks under a ladder" style photo to his collection of madness today at least.

Sylar

Sums up his United career, hah.

Its always false dawns with him at United until he gets injured or makes a really bad mistake. Think he needs to go Summer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pulled left, right and centre by a championship side. Was nowhere to be seen every time Reading broke through.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Heard we have an option for an extra year on his deal. Forget the money, let him go.

Devil may care

Poor game, he should be stepping it up when he's in there with Darmian and Dalot. To paraphrase the Frozen song, let him go.

stevoc

Heard we have an option for an extra year on his deal. Forget the money, let him go.
Hope not but you just know if we do we'll extend it thinking we'll get a decent fee for him like Darmian. We'll then try to hold out for a price no club is willing to pay and be stuck with him for another year.

lysglimt

Scout
Jones wasn't great but he did what he was supposed to - there were several players on the pitch who was a lot worse than Jones. Fred, Pereira and Sanchez the Worst

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I thought he was fine today. The midfield did a poor job overall, but Jones was ok. Still, I think it's about time we move on in the summer.

Any footage of this faceplant?
Cant find any but you can still see the effects of his Reading face-plant on Uniteds trip to Dubai.
I've given up wondering how and why he gets himself into situations detailed in the above image.
Its just Phil Jones being Phil Jones.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
MOTM for me.

Between this and that other moment where it looked like he might actually do a back-pass into an empty net for an own goal... nobody did more to entertain me at Old Trafford yesterday then Phil Jones

POF

Isn't it amazing how opinions change quickly? There was a spell early last season where Jones was outstanding alongside Bailly at the back. He was seen as one of the best defenders in the league and Southgate named him as his first choice centre back.

A few injuries and loss of form later, people are seriously talking about letting Jones go for free and paying over £60m for Harry Maguire.

Djemba-Djemba

Isn't it amazing how opinions change quickly? There was a spell early last season where Jones was outstanding alongside Bailly at the back. He was seen as one of the best defenders in the league and Southgate named him as his first choice centre back.

A few injuries and loss of form later, people are seriously talking about letting Jones go for free and paying over £60m for Harry Maguire.
He's been here 8 years now and he's still the same injury prone rash clumsy defender prone to horrendous mistakes that he was when he first walked through the door.

He's had more than enough chances, we'd be utterly bonkers to give him a new contract.

stevoc

Some opinions yes, personally i've thought we should have got rid of him since 2014-15 because he's a liability, i'm sure many feel similar. There are of course always the optimistic folk who still think he can come good and/or get over his injuries. But the fact is he keeps getting injured, i think someone worked out he's missed almost 3-4 seasons worth of football in his 8 years here due to constant injuries.

He has the odd patch where he manages to stay fit for a stretch of games and plays decent, then he gets injured again and then he comes back and plays shit and then get injured again. Rinse and repeat over and over for 8 years, time for him to move on.

The only contract anyone with half a brain at the club should give him is a pay as you play contract. But even then you are using up a squad place that could be taken up by someone who can stay fit and is actually a good defender. Because let's be honest in recent years even when Jones is fit for the most part he's been awful, bar the odd purple patch like those runs in early 2016/17 or late 2014/15.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

That spell, as his every good spell, lasted shortly. I also doubt he was ever first choice for England, because at the World Cup he was fourth of fifth choice, but even if he was, it hardly meant too much.

POF

Some opinions yes, personally i've thought we should have got rid of him since 2014-15 because he's a liability, i'm sure many feel similar. There are of course always the optimistic folk who still think he can come good and/or get over his injuries. But the fact is he keeps getting injured, i think someone worked out he's missed almost 3-4 seasons worth of football in his 8 years here due to constant injuries.

He has the odd patch where he manages to stay fit for a stretch of games and plays decent, then he gets injured again and then he comes back and plays shit and then get injured again. Rinse and repeat over and over for 8 years, time for him to move on.

The only contract anyone with half a brain at the club should give him is a pay as you play contract. But even then you are using up a squad place that could be taken up by someone who can stay fit and is actually a good defender. Because let's be honest in recent years even when Jones is fit for the most part he's been awful, bar the odd purple patch like those runs in early 2016/17 or late 2014/15.
You are right and overall I agree with you. That spell last season was really impressive though. He showed real leadership and clearly was the one organising the backline with Bailly. I had never really appreciated what Fergie saw in him until that run of games but it looked like he was really maturing into a top class player and a leader in the squad.

But then he got injured and when he came back his performances weren't good. That mistake in the cup final was horrendous. The major worry with him is that he seems to need a run of games to get himself into form. That is unlikely to happen for someone so injury prone.

Paul McGrath or Ledley King could miss a month, not train and still be the best player on the pitch when they got back. That isn't the case for Jones. It's such a shame because just prior to the point where everyone gave up on him, he showed why he was worth persisting with in previous years.

POF

That spell, as his every good spell, lasted shortly. I also doubt he was ever first choice for England, because at the World Cup he was fourth of fifth choice, but even if he was, it hardly meant too much.
You're right, it meant nothing in the end but it just shows you how quickly things can change. It was early last season that Southgate said Jones was his first choice (and he deserved it on form).

He was fourth or fifth choice in the world cup because he got injured and was crap when he returned. I'm not saying he's great and should be given a new contract. All I am saying is that little over a year ago if someone said Harry Maguire was better than Jones they would have been laughed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.