Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yea so awful he made Dalot stand the wrong side and Lindelof get mugged off so hard he stood and watched a conpletely unpressured ball be put into the box.

Not to mention the audacity of the best player in the air to take the responsibility of organizing on set piece. feck me this place is ridiculous.

Sick of the sight of such shit posts.
We might not have agreed in the past on certain points, but on this occasion, I agree wholeheartedly with you..

Kag

His inability to head the ball has always been his biggest issue. I’ve been arguing this since he arrived.

He’s not to blame for the goal necessarily, it’s just that a stronger defender in the air gets his head to those balls in the box. We’ll continue to look fragile from crosses and set pieces until Smalling comes back into the fold.

Devil may care

He makes me nervy with his positioning and lack of aerial ability, should have cut that ball out for their goal.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Jones and Dalot were having to cover three attacking players, so it's a little harsh to blame them too much. They couldn't get too close to their man without leaving the third completely free, so they were both trying to split the difference so that they'd be able to move to whichever got it. Both could still have done better though.

Prodigy24

The goal wasn't all his fault really, but it's disappointing to see him not being a presence at the back in those situations.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I don't even... It's like driving a car through rough terrain with two litres of nitrogliceryne attached to your face.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He has his fault, but his ball playing skill is a bit underrated. He has a decent first touch and passes it well enough which adds to the overall play of the team. Still, today showed his weakness, the goal wasn't all his fault but he played a part in the poor defending.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
His inability to head the ball has always been his biggest issue. I’ve been arguing this since he arrived.

He’s not to blame for the goal necessarily, it’s just that a stronger defender in the air gets his head to those balls in the box. We’ll continue to look fragile from crosses and set pieces until Smalling comes back into the fold.
Arguing it since he arrived doesn't make it true. Nor will being stronger in the air magically make him be able to reach balls higher than him.

Only Smalling and Fellaini win more aerial balls. Even then Jones wins 78% of his aerial duels while Smalling and Fellaini only win 66% and 68%. Then he wins 55% more than Lindelof who also only wins 63% of his aerial duels.

Jones is good in the air and miles better than Lindelof and Bailly in the air while not being as good as Smalling and Fellaini who are two of the best around.

We'll continue to look fragile at crosses and set pieces because we have CBs like Lindelof and Bailly who aren't even given the responsibility of marking the oppositions biggest threats. Jones consistently marks their best player in the air while Matic is then even given more responsibility than Lindelof. Instead of expecting Jones or Smalling to win every single ball in by themselves Lindelof and Bailly should actually learn to pull their own weight on set pieces.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is simply not good enough. Not for first 11, not for rotation. I hope that we will not be that stupid and give him new contract.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Jones and Dalot were having to cover three attacking players, so it's a little harsh to blame them too much. They couldn't get too close to their man without leaving the third completely free, so they were both trying to split the difference so that they'd be able to move to whichever got it. Both could still have done better though.
They weren't though, Dalot wasn't covering the man at the back at all and nor should he have been. The problem is the two attackers switched over and while Jones picked up his new man and challenged him out of the air, Dalot completely lost his new man and watched him control the ball down. It had nothing to do with splitting the difference on the back post man.

Walters_19_MuFc

Unfortunately, every time we concede, Jones will be scrutinized. Should he have won the header? Yes, but defenders dont always win headers and its about how we react to loose balls.

That said, other than that, I felt he was pretty solid. Did give away some silly fouls early on, but thought that was more to do with stamping his mark on a very physical Glen Murray.

Johan07

Yea so awful he made Dalot stand the wrong side and Lindelof get mugged off so hard he stood and watched a conpletely unpressured ball be put into the box.

Not to mention the audacity of the best player in the air to take the responsibility of organizing on set piece. feck me this place is ridiculous.

Sick of the sight of such shit posts.
Agree. Feel sorry for Jones who gets stick for everything, now for "drawing" an aerial duel where the ball should have not been in the box to begin with and then the 19-year old making a 19-year old´s mistake. Its Dalots goal first and Lindelofs second if one really needs to blame players for goals.
Jones was decent today, LCB is not his favored position and he looks a ltb uncomfortable when he gets pressured to the outside on the left. Got stuck upfield once as well when trying to win the ball.
Otherwise he and Victor dealt with Murray very well I think. Murray is a really dirty player btw and is going to injure someone soon going in that late in aerial duels. I have no idea we he was not booked in this game. If I did not miss anything. They dealt with him OK though IMO, that combo will always struggle against big #9s, even if Victor really has made strides in that part of the game as well.
Watching the Arsenal game I actually think that Auba/Lacazette will be a better match-up for the Lindelof/Jones combo than what we saw today.

lysglimt

Scout
The Jones'bashing here is simply ridiculous. How on Earth you anyone can blame Jones for todays goals is simply bizarre. Jones jumps with Murray - takes and prevents him from winning the header - and then another player behind Murray scores. Granted - if Jones had been as dominant in the air as van Dijk is - he might have cleared the ball, but that was hardly his fauly.

2 players were to blame for that goal - Lindelöf who did a pathetic job at stopping the cross and Dalot who let his man go behind Jones and Murray. Let's not blame Jones for everything. He had a decent game by all standards.

Utdstar01

His crap composure is putting us under pressure when he just hoofs it upfield not even under any major pressure and gifts possession straight back to the opposition. Let's be honest he's not going to improve any further than this.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
His crap composure is putting us under pressure when he just hoofs it upfield not even under any major pressure and gifts possession straight back to the opposition. Let's be honest he's not going to improve any further than this.
Philip had the highest passing accuracy of the team today, with a 96.4%. But yeah, lets shit on him just because...

Ekeke

Only Lindelof is better playing the ball than Jones out of our CBs

Ekeke

The Jones'bashing here is simply ridiculous. How on Earth you anyone can blame Jones for todays goals is simply bizarre. Jones jumps with Murray - takes and prevents him from winning the header - and then another player behind Murray scores. Granted - if Jones had been as dominant in the air as van Dijk is - he might have cleared the ball, but that was hardly his fauly.

2 players were to blame for that goal - Lindelöf who did a pathetic job at stopping the cross and Dalot who let his man go behind Jones and Murray. Let's not blame Jones for everything. He had a decent game by all standards.
Agree with this. Although perhaps slightly too harsh on Lindelof, he just slipped which is unfortunate but it does allow the player to cross. Jones and Murray both cant reach it, Dalot is not goalside and his man can shoot

Ekeke

He has his fault, but his ball playing skill is a bit underrated. He has a decent first touch and passes it well enough which adds to the overall play of the team. Still, today showed his weakness, the goal wasn't all his fault but he played a part in the poor defending.
He can also dribble a bit. He doesnt have as good technique as Lindelof and he's Phil Jones, so people try to ignore it. But his passing and ball playing is fairly good

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

Jones is one of our better players in the air. Not as good as Smalling but he’s certainly decent. Absolutely not his biggest issue

Utdstar01

Only Lindelof is better playing the ball than Jones out of our CBs
That's not exactly saying much though is it? In fact I'd actually say Rojo is probably technically better at carrying the ball out and playing the more safe passes, also quicker in transitioning the ball. That's not to say I'd want Rojo in as one of our CB's long term as he's not a good enough defender and never fit anyway.

Alemar

Philip had the highest passing accuracy of the team today, with a 96.4%. But yeah, lets shit on him just because...
All these passes were to Lindelof, Matic or Dalot, he didnt try any long passes. And Lindelof made that Pirlo-level pass to set Martial one on one with a goalkeeper. Defensively, Jones was quite poor today - after several recent performances this match i was paying special attention to Jones' actions. Clumsy, unreliable. We will suffer if OGS continues to play him as a CB, it may cost us dearly in the end of the day...

Ekeke

That's not exactly saying much though is it? In fact I'd actually say Rojo is probably technically better at carrying the ball out and playing the more safe passes, also quicker in transitioning the ball. That's not to say I'd want Rojo in as one of our CB's long term as he's not a good enough defender and never fit anyway.
Rojo can go from being our best ball playing CB to being our worst in the span of 10 seconds. Sometimes he'll play a lovely first time pass to accelerate a move, the next moment he's passing the ball straight to an opponent 25 yards from our goal with our players out of position.

Utdstar01

Rojo can go from being our best ball playing CB to being our worst in the span of 10 seconds. Sometimes he'll play a lovely first time pass to accelerate a move, the next moment he's passing the ball straight to an opponent 25 yards from our goal with our players out of position.
Consistency is definitely an issue with him I agree. Some games you look at him and he looks like he could be the complete defender but he let's himself down too often like you say. Definitely has the tendency to try too many difficult passes too.

Ekeke

All these passes were to Lindelof, Matic or Dalot, he didnt try any long passes. And Lindelof made that Pirlo-level pass to set Martial one on one with a goalkeeper. Defensively, Jones was quite poor today - after several recent performances this match i was paying special attention to Jones' actions. Clumsy, unreliable. We will suffer if OGS continues to play him as a CB, it may cost us dearly in the end of the day...
?

Heres our long passes from today

He tried 2 and 2 found a United man. Lindelof tried 4 with 2 finding a United man

Ekeke

Consistency is definitely an issue with him I agree. Some games you look at him and he looks like he could be the complete defender but he let's himself down too often like you say. Definitely has the tendency to try too many difficult passes too.
I think he plays like he thinks he's having a kick about with some kids at the park. Risks everything for nothing like it doesnt matter. But yes he's capable of some nice passing too.

Loublaze

ATLien

You can't give Jones a pass for missing a routine header that could've quelled the threat. If Lindelof and Dalot fecked up then so did Jones

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
He is soo bad he makes Smalling look Like Baresi.

If we have any ambition we do not renew his contract and let him leave on a free, I'm sure he will do okay at a Burnley or Stoke.

haram

We simply have to move on from Jones and Smalling and sign a top CB.

Patrick08

Jones is one of our better players in the air. Not as good as Smalling but he’s certainly decent. Absolutely not his biggest issue
Opposition don't play to our players strengths but on our weaknesses.

lysglimt

Scout
You can't give Jones a pass for missing a routine header that could've quelled the threat. If Lindelof and Dalot fecked up then so did Jones
Jones prevented Murray from getting a header on target - you can't seriously blame him for the fact that noone picked up the guy behind him.

lysglimt

Scout
Agree with this. Although perhaps slightly too harsh on Lindelof, he just slipped which is unfortunate but it does allow the player to cross. Jones and Murray both cant reach it, Dalot is not goalside and his man can shoot
He initially slips - then he get ups, backs away just enough for Propper (?) to put in a cross (which in fairness was superb)

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The people who are constantly insulting him and giving him abuse quite simply do not understand football. He was absolutely fine yesterday.

LoneStar

After looking at the replay, I don't think the goal was his fault tbh. He could have done better and cleared the ball, but it was Dalot's fault for the goal mainly.

Lindelof also slipped at that time I think. But if we want to play Lindelof (who has been consistently good this season), then we can't play Jones. They don't complement each other greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.