Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doracle

Are people really trying to blame him for Lindelof slipping and Dalot failing to be right side of his man?! Not his best game yesterday but all our defence had a slight off day. Really promising that we’ve not conceded more than one goal a game since we’ve paired up Jones and Lindelof.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
His crap composure is putting us under pressure when he just hoofs it upfield not even under any major pressure and gifts possession straight back to the opposition. Let's be honest he's not going to improve any further than this.
:lol: When you're so desperate to blame Jones for something that you just make it up.

Loublaze

ATLien
He is soo bad he makes Smalling look Like Baresi.

If we have any ambition we do not renew his contract and let him leave on a free, I'm sure he will do okay at a Burnley or Stoke.
He'd fit right in at those clubs

Utdstar01

:lol: When you're so desperate to blame Jones for something that you just make it up.
He did it a couple of times in the game so how am I making it up? Also on the basis of what we've seen, is he going to improve any further than what he's at now? No. So I'm making that up as well then? Am I making it up that he's not composed enough on the ball in defensive situations or good enough to be able to pass out from the back quickly and efficiently?

If you aren't going to reply with anything productive or worthwhile then don't bother.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He did it a couple of times in the game so how am I making it up? Also on the basis of what we've seen, is he going to improve any further than what he's at now? No. So I'm making that up as well then? Am I making it up that he's not composed enough on the ball in defensive situations or good enough to be able to pass out from the back quickly and efficiently?

If you aren't going to reply with anything productive or worthwhile then don't bother.
He completed every long ball he attempted so no he wasn't lumping balls forward all game under no pressure. And he is perfectly capable of playing out from the back.

If you're going to just post shit that you've made up because there wasn't anything real to blame him for then dont bother.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 1 clearance yesterday.
Lindelof had 5 clearances yesterday, with 0 interceptions and 0 tackles. I don't really see how can people say he's had a good game yesterday.

And I'd agree with poster above, he had at least one or two situations when he hoofed the ball for no reason. His distribution is far from great, it's not bad but it's not praise worthy at all.

Mcking

0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 1 clearance yesterday.
Lindelof had 5 clearances yesterday, with 0 interceptions and 0 tackles. I don't really see how can people say he's had a good game yesterday.

And I'd agree with poster above, he had at least one or two situations when he hoofed the ball for no reason. His distribution is far from great, it's not bad but it's not praise worthy at all.
I guess stats does not tell the whole story only when it favours Phil Jones.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I remember at least one panicking hoofing from Jones with his left foot for no reason which led to Brighton's counter attack, he gave them a ball in our half.

stevoc

?

Heres our long passes from today

He tried 2 and 2 found a United man. Lindelof tried 4 with 2 finding a United man
There was a decent discussion in here last week that points towards stats like those being a but misleading. Lindelof tries riskier passes than Jones, the stats consider a long ground pass along the back four as equal to a pass hit upfield trying to pick out an attacker.

stevoc

He completed every long ball he attempted so no he wasn't lumping balls forward all game under no pressure. And he is perfectly capable of playing out from the back.

If you're going to just post shit that you've made up because there wasn't anything real to blame him for then dont bother.
A clearance isn't marked down as a pass he hoofed at least one or two poor clearances up the pitch yesterday.

Playing aimless balls up the channels has been a regular feature of his United career, he hasn't done it as much recently so hopefully the penny has finally dropped with him on that count.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
A clearance isn't marked down as a pass he hoofed at least one or two poor clearances up the pitch yesterday.

Playing aimless balls up the channels has been a regular feature of his United career, he hasn't done it as much recently so hopefully the penny has finally dropped with him on that count.
What are you on about?

A bad clearance is when you leave the ball right there creating a chance for the opponents. Hoofing the ball to the stands or up the pitch is the right thing to do when under pressure.

stevoc

What are you on about?

A bad clearance is when you leave the ball right there creating a chance for the opponents. Hoofing the ball to the stands or up the pitch is the right thing to do when under pressure.
Into the stands yeah, thats not what i'm talking about. He often hoofs clearances up the pitch that give possession away in his own half like yesterday, sometimes when not even under that much pressure. I wish he would just hit it out for a throw.

Ekeke

There was a decent discussion in here last week that points towards stats like those being a but misleading. Lindelof tries riskier passes than Jones, the stats consider a long ground pass along the back four as equal to a pass hit upfield trying to pick out an attacker.
Alright, and how does that play into the fact it was said that Jones doesnt play any long balls, but actually played 2 with both finding their man?

stevoc

Alright, and how does that play into the fact it was said that Jones doesnt play any long balls, but actually played 2 with both finding their man?
What a stat website and what a football fan watching a match consider a long pass aren't necessarily the same thing. So maybe whoever said that meant they didn't see Jones play any long passes up the pitch.

Did he play any long passes up field?

Do the stats tell you direction, height of the pass, which part of the pitch it was played from and to. Or simply just distance?

But if he played two long ground passes along the back 4 whoscored and other stat sites count them as long passes. Which technically they are but usually not what your average football fan describes as a long pass.

Ekeke

What a stat website and what a football fan watching a match consider a long pass aren't necessarily the same thing. So maybe whoever said that meant they didn't see Jones play any long passes up the pitch. Did he play any long passes up field?

But if he played two long ground passes along the back 4 whoscored and other stat sites count them as long passes. Which technically they are but usually not what your average football fan describes as a long pass.
He played 2 long passes. Thats the answer.

stevoc

He played 2 long passes. Thats the answer.
It's not really an answer at all mate.

Do the stats tell you direction, height of the pass, which part of the pitch it was played from and to. Or simply just distance?

Because if it's just distance then it's close to useless.

Ekeke

It's not really an answer at all mate.

Because if it's just distance then it's close to useless.
It tells you how many long passes a player made, which is also the answer to the question. It doesnt tell you the meaning of life or where Carmen Sandiego is

Copa Mundial

The blatent bias on here is really starting to get silly.

Lindalof slipped and that was considered unfortunate, if Jones had slipped he would have been ridiculed as a donkey.

The double standards on here are amazing!

stevoc

It tells you how many long passes a player made, which is also the answer to the question. It doesnt tell you the meaning of life or where Carmen Sandiego is
Not any question that i asked.

So in other words it's a useless stat that tells us nothing other than distance of pass. Got it cheers.

Going off stats like that alone without context is pointless. Young could hit 5 long back passes on the ground to DeGea and find him with all 5. In the same game Pogba could hit 5 long lofted passes under pressure into the box trying to create goals. Finding his man with only two but possibly creating goals. Yet according to the stats like that Young would have had better long range passing in that game.

Long passes are a pretty stupid stat for a centre half. They can zing it 40 yards to the opposit full back under no pressure and it’s a long pass
Exactly.

Ekeke

Not any question that i asked.

So in other words it's a useless stat that tells us nothing other than distance of pass. Got it cheers.

Going off stats like that alone without context is pointless. Young could hit 5 long back passes on the ground to DeGea and find him with all 5. In the same game Pogba could hit 5 long lofted passes under pressure into the box trying to create goals. Finding his man with only two but possibly creating goals. Yet according to the stats like that Young would have had better long range passing in that game.

Exactly.
Yes. The long passes stat is just a stat that tells you how many long passes someone successfully plays. Nothing more.

Utdstar01

Nothing made up. As others have stated he did lose possession of the ball on a couple of occasions where he'd cleared the ball up the pitch a couple of times but not even necessarily a hoof, just a skewed clearance that wouldn't make it far up the pitch that would put us under pressure again. Hes not a player that tries to play fancy, accurate long passes but more a defender that will very often just offload the ball to the nearest wing back or closest midfielder.

It's when hes in a pressured situation that he has a tendency to panic and do something daft or be really rash when hes out of position. Have nothing against Jones but he's tried and tested and ultimately not good enough for us unfortunately.

arthurka

Simple really he isnt good enough nor is he reliable enough to merrit a place at Utd. He has been injured for two whole years or something like that since he came and missed 120 games. And most importantly he always has a mistake in him (Chelsea FA Cup final anyone?) When he plays. He needs to be replaced. For me it was his header to win yesterday and by misjudging and loosing the header it cost us goal when we were cruising in game, which changed the dynamic totally.

Dont hate him or anything but he is tried and fully tested and sadly the results are not up to standard.

A-man

Simple really he isnt good enough nor is he reliable enough to merrit a place at Utd. He has been injured for two whole years or something like that since he came and missed 120 games. And most importantly he always has a mistake in him (Chelsea FA Cup final anyone?) When he plays. He needs to be replaced. For me it was his header to win yesterday and by misjudging and loosing the header it cost us goal when we were cruising in game, which changed the dynamic totally.

Dont hate him or anything but he is tried and fully tested and sadly the results are not up to standard.
I think he has been ok the last matches. The goal did really change everything in the game, but I dont think Jones was too much to blame. He could have done better and won the header, but he did the second best and made sure his man did not win it.

If United are going to ring in a really good CB, and maybe bring back Tuanzebe, two CBs must leave. Personally, I dont think Jones is the first to go.

Patrick08

I think he has been ok the last matches. The goal did really change everything in the game, but I dont think Jones was too much to blame. He could have done better and won the header, but he did the second best and made sure his man did not win it.

If United are going to ring in a really good CB, and maybe bring back Tuanzebe, two CBs must leave. Personally, I dont think Jones is the first to go.
He has been here 8 seasons and had numerous chances. A commanding centre-back would have won the header and not conceded against the run of play. Even in Tottenham game kane escaped past him so easily, de gea and Matic bailed him out on many instances. I think he should be the first one out of the door followed by Rojo.

Kostov

If we renew his contract, it's a fecking moronic decision. I can understand if we have an option for additional year so we can get some transfer fee,but even than it's unnecessary and we should not do it. Let him leave and focus on selling Rojo as well, while bringing a top class CB.

steakpie

He's not a terrible player and he's a good athlete.

But he just doesn't fill me with confidence, I think his positioning and man marking is average at best.

arthurka

He and Rojo both need moving to be frank.
He just isnt good enough and more importantly like Rojo almost never available when needed.
Bring in one top notch CB and promote Tuanzebe to be back up.

stevoc

If Jones was still here in 5 years time even after 5 more years of constant injuries and inconsistent form. I reckon there would still be a few people who would think we should give him just one more year, in the hope he could get over his injuries and finally fulfill his promise.

8 Years.

Djemba-Djemba

If Jones was still here in 5 years time even after 5 more years of constant injuries and inconsistent form. I reckon there would still be a few people who would think we should give him just one more year, in the hope he could get over his injuries and finally fulfill his promise.

8 Years.
No doubt about that.

And those same people will still be coming on here and saying "Well apart from the own goal and the penalty he gave away he was fine".

Virgil

8 Years.

No doubt about that.

And those same people will still be coming on here and saying "Well apart from the own goal and the penalty he gave away he was fine".

In much the same way as if he did manage to put his injuries behind him and became the player that SAF and some other managers thought he would there would still be those posting on this forum maintaining that he is not good enough. Such is life. When we form an opinion we always look for instances/events that confirm our choice rarely for those that would alter it.

red4ever 79

In much the same way as if he did manage to put his injuries behind him and became the player that SAF and some other managers thought he would there would still be those posting on this forum maintaining that he is not good enough. Such is life. When we form an opinion we always look for instances/events that confirm our choice rarely for those that would alter it.
Nah not with Jones. Even when he is fit he is still sh*te.

red4ever 79

There you go.....confirms my suspicions regarding 'closed minds'
I am not sure what you expect. He is not 20/21 years of age. He is 26 and been here 8 years. He will never reach a higher ceiling of performances. Usually he is not fit, when he is fit and plays he has a mistake written all over him almost every game. That is not people jumping on the bandwagon. That is 8 years of Phil Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.