Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not his fault the club was idiotic and offered him a large four-year contract. I'd love for him to get off our books and try getting his career back on track elsewhere, but I also can't blame him for collecting every penny he's contractually entitled to.

-Supreme-

And there are people who still think the club had made the correct decision by extending Phil Jones contract extension

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We are where we are because of those players.
Ironic, considering those players you mentioned won us multiple trophies.
None of the ones you named played in United's worst ever PL season.

I’ve never seen anyone thinking that.
Letting a starter and and an England international (albeit injury prone) walk for free would've been ludicrous.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
2010s was one of our worst decades in the last 30 years. We went from challenging on all fronts to barely even making top 4 while spending astronomical amounts of money. We became a laughing stock in world football
Valencia was a joke of a player as soon as he got the number 7 jersey it was like some voodoo shit came over him - he couldn't play at his best level anymore and was later converted to a full back
Young was one of the most exciting attacking wingers when he came, 2 years in and he couldn't even beat his marker anymore with his one trick pony skills - also converted to a full back
Phil Jones was overrated by Fergie and some on here were still sticking with that theory of his. Became a meme with his manyfaces Jones act, cost us many games due to his poor positioning and own goals - is still here after 10 years
Smalling was a backup/squad rotation level player who became indispensable as soon as Rio and Vidic went. Again overrated by caf to extreme levels
Rooney was done in 2014-15 yet we still had managers who believed in him and even shoehorned him into the team playing as a CM - My Captain Shall Always Play

VanDeBank

Ma’am
2010s was one of our worst decades in the last 30 years. We went from challenging on all fronts to barely even making top 4 while spending astronomical amounts of money. We became a laughing stock in world football
Valencia was a joke of a player as soon as he got the number 7 jersey it was like some voodoo shit came over him - he couldn't play at his best level anymore and was later converted to a full back
Young was one of the most exciting attacking wingers when he came, 2 years in and he couldn't even beat his marker anymore with his one trick pony skills - also converted to a full back
Phil Jones was overrated by Fergie and some on here were still sticking with that theory of his. Became a meme with his manyfaces Jones act, cost us many games due to his poor positioning and own goals - is still here after 10 years
Smalling was a backup/squad rotation level player who became indispensable as soon as Rio and Vidic went. Again overrated by caf to extreme levels
Rooney was done in 2014-15 yet we still had managers who believed in him and even shoehorned him into the team playing as a CM - My Captain Shall Always Play
I was never outright disgusted by any of those players you mentioned. That doesn't make them good enough, but it does make them more preferable to half our current squad.

They actually gave a shit. If it wasnt for the badge, they at least played for themselves.
This quote is only 3 months ago
It's only confusing if you're incapable of looking at the situation without the power of hindsight.

Pickle85

Nah. I agree with him. It's no coincidence we are where we are.
Agreed. Calling Jones 'shit' is a bit far but the rallying around a player that has never looked top class for us, has missed more games than he's played, all while picking up a lovely big paycheck is weird. It was a punt that didn't work out...nobody's fault but we should have moved on from it ages ago.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Agreed. Calling Jones 'shit' is a bit far but the rallying around a player that has never looked top class for us, has missed more games than he's played, all while picking up a lovely big paycheck is weird. It was a punt that didn't work out...nobody's fault but we should have moved on from it ages ago.
Would you make the same paycheck criticism if it was Blind or Eriksen being unavailable due to an injury on an existing contract?

Tarrou

I’m convinced there are Glazer shills on this site that have helped shift most of the blame for us being shite on the players.. it’s incredible how the blame shifted from Ole to the players after Ole left

at some point in the last year it became normal to hate on a player who’s injured too, like Jones

it’s the club making these poor decisions, it’s the owners who got us here

Phil Jones just signed contract that was put in from of him, and continued being Phil Jones

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Um...yes. Why wouldn't one?!
For not wanting to be giant cnut perhaps?

Are you seriously saying if you dont get instantly fired after a heart attack/injury (as a result of your job most likely) you're stealing a living? :lol:

I get it if you're the employer and just a cnut. Imagine being a poor dude on the internet and buying into that train of thought. It's honestly just pathetic. A win for Murdoch.

choccy77

Not his fault the club was idiotic and offered him a large four-year contract. I'd love for him to get off our books and try getting his career back on track elsewhere, but I also can't blame him for collecting every penny he's contractually entitled to.
He had chance to leave & refused just so he could stay home mugging the mirror claiming to be a Man Utd player.

The guy is finished as a footballer & it's disgraceful that he's still at United.

Management of players at United has been appalling & we are suffering all the time for it.

-Supreme-

It's only confusing if you're incapable of looking at the situation without the power of hindsight.
It doesn’t need any hindsight when majority of people thought it was a ridiculous decision renewing his contract in 2019.

This poster still believes that it was the right decision to renew at the time as Jones was ‘fit’ but completely ignored he’s had years of injuries prior to his contract extension.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It doesn’t need any hindsight when majority of people thought it was a ridiculous decision renewing his contract in 2019.

This poster still believes that it was the right decision to renew at the time as Jones was ‘fit’ but completely ignored he’s had years of injuries prior to his contract extension.
Why don't you quote the poster and reply? What's the point of discussion if the person you are replying doesn't even get notification.

@VanDeBank i think it's your post.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

The “poster” was me.
so the player was playing as part of the squad and part of the England squad and you’d what, give him a free transfer?
the only thing I’d question logically is the length of contract that he was offered. But that’s not Jones fault, and i draw the line at calling an injured player names or saying that he’s stole wages

-Supreme-

The “poster” was me.
so the player was playing as part of the squad and part of the England squad and you’d what, give him a free transfer?
the only thing I’d question logically is the length of contract that he was offered. But that’s not Jones fault, and i draw the line at calling an injured player names or saying that he’s stole wages
Yes letting him leave on a free transfer in 2019 would certainly be a more logical move when he had been at United for almost a decade with injuries but the club still decided to offer him a new contract purely because he declared fit at the time when it was signed.

This contract renewal is one of the worst decisions by the board and that says something consideirng the numerous bad ones had been made.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yes letting him leave on a free transfer in 2019 would certainly be a more logical move when he had been at United for almost a decade with injuries but the club still decided to offer him a new contract purely because he declared fit at the time when it was signed.

This contract renewal is one of the worst decisions by the board and that says something consideirng the numerous bad ones had been made.
I don’t agree with your logic if the player is fit and participating

led_scholes

Letting a starter and and an England international (albeit injury prone) walk for free would've been ludicrous.
We are letting Pogba go for free. Did you also want to keep Pogba,?

AndySmith1990

I don’t agree with your logic if the player is fit and participating
But we had enough years of experience to say with a high degree of certainty that he wouldn't be fit and participating for very long, and that's exactly how it turned out. Whatever way it's cut Phil Jones has been a massive waste of time and money and he should've been released when his last contract ran out

golden_blunder

Staff
But we had enough years of experience to say with a high degree of certainty that he wouldn't be fit and participating for very long, and that's exactly how it turned out. Whatever way it's cut Phil Jones has been a massive waste of time and money and he should've been released when his last contract ran out
Again I don’t agree with the logic of releasing a player whom is in the England squad and a participating member of the squad. That just makes no logic.
by all means put him up for sale before his contract expires or if they must offer a contract they could offer a pay as you play deal OR say here’s another yeah, prove you can stay fit.

anyway regardless, I know I won’t change your opinion on this. But what is really boiling my piss is people throwing insults or saying he’s stealing wages. ITS NOT HIS FAULT

golden_blunder

Staff
We are letting Pogba go for free. Did you also want to keep Pogba,?
Pogba wants to go. Not even comparable
The landscape has changed the last 2 seasons. Now it’s all about running contracts down and leaving so they get another sign on fee

People want to punish Jones because he got injured

i can’t wait for him to leave and hopefully rebuild his career away from the toxic fans of United who don’t display logic, empathy or morals. (Not just referring to this thread by the way)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wonder if he will go out on loan this season. I can’t see who would risk signing him even on loan

redcucumber

Pogba wants to go. Not even comparable
The landscape has changed the last 2 seasons. Now it’s all about running contracts down and leaving so they get another sign on fee

People want to punish Jones because he got injured

i can’t wait for him to leave and hopefully rebuild his career away from the toxic fans of United who don’t display logic, empathy or morals. (Not just referring to this thread by the way)
It's not really about 'punishing' players (at least not from my point of view). In the year preceding Jones having that run of games which got him a 4 year contract in 2019, he had been out injured for around a hundred days in total. The contract he signed was worth £16m - that's around £85k a week. A 4 year contract of £85k a week for a player that has consistently struggled with availability is not a sustainable way to build a squad. I think clubs can be compassionate towards players that struggle with injuries and also be fiscally responsible.

It's not just Phil Jones, though. In 2020, we gave a 32 year old Matic a 3 year contract extension. In 2021, Bailly was given a new contract until 2024, with an option for a further year. What we're seeing isn't just United being empathetic to it's bit-part or injury-ridden players, it's systematic incompetence from those in charge (Woodward and Matt Judge). I don't dislike Phil Jones or Eric Bailly for signing these contracts, but that doesn't mean we can't call it like it is. It has undoubtedly contributed to the mess we now find ourselves in. Thankfully, Woodward and Matt Judge are out which should see us change our approach to building a fit and healthy squad.

Last edited:

Smores

Anyone still fighting his corner must have some agenda at this stage. Any player that is consistently unavailable for a significant chunk of each season isn't worth anything to anyone.

He'll struggle to find a new club because most can't risk wages on someone who will be injured a third of the season. He'll have to accept a contract that reflects that risk.

We all know we're a soft touch as a club. Most other clubs would have let Jones contract exoire. What a waste of money he's been.

devips

We may have different opinions about whether it was okay to renew contracts of Matic, Mata or Phil Jones. But they were/are only players, they did not go on strike or threaten, say, Woodward with death to force renewal of their contracts.

So, we may criticize the club if we don't like the renewals, but why should we show personal disrespect to the players who have continued to serve the club to the best of their abilities?

This is what pisses me off.

Ollie Derbyshire

Again I don’t agree with the logic of releasing a player whom is in the England squad and a participating member of the squad. That just makes no logic.
by all means put him up for sale before his contract expires or if they must offer a contract they could offer a pay as you play deal OR say here’s another yeah, prove you can stay fit.

anyway regardless, I know I won’t change your opinion on this. But what is really boiling my piss is people throwing insults or saying he’s stealing wages. ITS NOT HIS FAULT
Totally agree with this. Who wouldn’t sign a contract extension if the club are crazy enough to offer a long deal? Jones would have to be really stupid to turn it down!

Jones isn’t ‘stealing a living’, whoever manages player contracts are the ones stealing a living cause they have been pretty shit at their jobs over the last 10 years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You have to question his desire if he doesn't want to leave It means he's happy to stay on the bench.

Edit: On second thought, he's on £80,000+ a week. He has every right to sit on it. The people who gave him the contract should be in prison.
I doubt he'll see half of that figure at his next club.

Last edited:

Corridor of Uncertainty

He had an opportunity to go and get some football, a change of scenery for 6 months and to get his career somewhat back on track. He chose to sit on the bench and collect his wages. And before people say "Boredaux wouldn't guarantee him playing time", if he doesn't back himself to impress enough to get minutes in this Bordeaux team, it speaks volumes about him.

OpenIntrovert

I actually like Phil Jones as a player. He is multi talented and I would say his tackling is better than AWB but unfortunately, he is just ruined by injuries. He is still 30 and has a chance of making it this season if he keeps himself injury free.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
We have some of the highest transfer spends and wage bills in the world. Jones hasn’t stopped us or hindered the club from doing anything. Why do people care so much to the point of abusing him when it hasn’t actually stopped the club from doing anything?

He has 229 appearances for the club after joining as a teenager. He consistently gave his all for the club and completely destroyed his body as a result. He played through injuries and pain so often that he had to get his meniscus completely removed and could barely walk without being in pain. God forbid we support him for a couple years while he recovers from literally giving his knee to the club.

It’s like crying about Ferguson giving Fletcher a contract and supporting through his illness.

Ollie Derbyshire

He had an opportunity to go and get some football, a change of scenery for 6 months and to get his career back on track. He chose to sit on the bench and collect his wages

You do know he doesn’t have to go anywhere just cause we’d like him too? The club give out the contracts so now we have to live with them. Jones isn’t the only one. Bailly should have been moved on by now as well. Lingard should have been sold last season. Pogba should have been sold last season. How is Perreira still with us? As a club we are or were inept at managing squad rotation over the last 10 years.

golden_blunder

Staff
Anyone still fighting his corner must have some agenda at this stage. Any player that is consistently unavailable for a significant chunk of each season isn't worth anything to anyone.

He'll struggle to find a new club because most can't risk wages on someone who will be injured a third of the season. He'll have to accept a contract that reflects that risk.

We all know we're a soft touch as a club. Most other clubs would have let Jones contract exoire. What a waste of money he's been.
There we go with insults again

Status
Not open for further replies.